Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If Star Trek Online has taught us anything the only true religion is Klingon, and so we must consult the ancient Klingon texts about the prophets to see what they really are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like to think the Klingons just happen to live in an area of space where the barrier to a freaky hell dimension is at its thinnest. Kind of like how the Federation keeps punching through to fascist wonderland accidentally

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Axe-man posted:

If Star Trek Online has taught us anything the only true religion is Klingon, and so we must consult the ancient Klingon texts about the prophets to see what they really are.

An episode about the Prophets but its Worf recommending that the Bajorans simply kill them all since they're so much trouble.

skasion posted:

Personally I really like the concept of the prophets, even though it often falls down as presented. There’s something very bleak but also sympathetic about the revelation that the gods themselves are clueless and fundamentally don’t get our problems (because, being gods, how could they?), yet they still want to help and do the right thing if only they can find a way to understand. The Bajoran religion is misguided and tragic, but the faith behind it is REEEEAL, as Sisko would say.

It also emphasizes how they're really wormhole aliens. They're mystical and they're tied to Bajor because of Reasons but...they're still beings tied to this universe and not actually gods.

With all the callbacks that they did to TOS I wonder if maybe they were deliberately laying foundation for a potential future where the Bajorans eventually move on and the Prophets are left to slowly evaporate without anyone to believe in them. Who Mourns for Adonis, etc.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So how does the koala fit into all this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Happy Captain Picard Day! :toot:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The_Doctor posted:

Happy Captain Picard Day! :toot:

what hath picard wrought?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHMti7u9TBE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

The universe is merely a dream the koala dreams.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
drat that trailer for piquing my interest again :mad:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Powered Descent posted:

The universe rests on the koala's back, like the ancient myth about the world turtle.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Twitter version for everyone outside of the US:

https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1405204911768342530

Lol, more time travel. I normally like some time travel stuff, but I'm getting sick of it after two seasons of Discovery being about time travel (I'm counting season 3 with them arriving in the future and learning about the state of the world)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

You're not tricking me again paramount!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tom Guycot posted:

You're not tricking me again paramount!

However I am excited to see Mike and Rich get even more depressed and drunk as they poo poo on it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Picard sounding rrrroooouuugh

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I am looking forward though to Admiral Nechayev, Vash, that annoying fog breathing ensign, the deaf mute diplomat, tin man, and Matt Frewer's time traveler, running on screen to wave hello before getting shot in the face however.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

I am looking forward though to Admiral Nechayev, Vash, that annoying fog breathing ensign, the deaf mute diplomat, tin man, and Matt Frewer's time traveler, running on screen to wave hello before getting shot in the face however.
This post fucks.

That's exactly how I felt about Season 1. Stolen valor and cheap stakes-raising.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

PICARD

THIS IS TIME CONSTABLE JANEWAY SPEAKING TO YOU THROUGH CHRONOANSIBLE

YOU MUST COLLECT THE FIVE TIME SHARDS AND BRING THEM TO THE TEMPLE OF TEMPESTS ON NOVA BAJORIS

ONE DURING THE FIRST EPISODE AND THEN PROBABLY THE REST DURING THE FINAL FOUR EPISODES

IF YOU FAIL THE BORGMINION ALLIANCE WINS

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Go to hell Star Trek Picard!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At this point time time and/or dimensional travel but in the new Star Trek but with the old characters just feels like a writer wanting to write something other than Star Trek but they have to do Star Trek.

Q looks snappy though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I feel bad for Patrick Stewart, even with the makeup he looks and sounds like he's about to keel over. It's elder abuse.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard will spend 7 episodes training to take on the Ginyu Force

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
If they literally just make this about dunking on picard for being old and dumb for season 1, i might watch it... :filez:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Terror Sweat posted:

Picard sounding rrrroooouuugh

I was going to say that he sounded really old and tired, but I wasn't sure how it'd be received here. Is Stewart sick or just getting old?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

However I am excited to see Mike and Rich get even more depressed and drunk as they poo poo on it.

There is about as much chance of season 2 of this show being good as there is of all that UFO poo poo that's flying around lately turning out to actually be aliens

probably a smaller chance than that, honestly

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I was going to say that he sounded really old and tired, but I wasn't sure how it'd be received here. Is Stewart sick or just getting old?

Stewart's old

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Terror Sweat posted:

Stewart's old

Between Stewart sounding like he has one foot in the grave and Spiner's jowly Data (as far as I know, he's healthy; just older), some of the TNG cast hasn't aged especially well.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Patrick Stewart sounds like 80’s Picard on American Dad.

I demand Picard behave like Avery Bullock in season 2.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It sucks to find Patrick Stewart's voice unpleasant.

Like.... That's Patrick Stewart's voice. What's next, I dislike cello? Birdsong?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
People age. The man is 80 now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah at this point it reminds me of when a sitcom brings on an aging comedian for name recognition.

It’s just sad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol if you think they haven't aged well, look in the mirror. Everyone lookin rough, not his fault you continually expose yourself to images of over three-decades younger Picard and cast.

Worst part of this was Jurati in several scenes... we were promised she would be turning herself in, why is she not in jail?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

People age. The man is 80 now.

But if he gets old what hope is there for me

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Patrick Stewart seemed eternally "kinda old" so it's jarring for him to suddenly look "old old".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sir Lemming posted:

Patrick Stewart seemed eternally "kinda old" so it's jarring for him to suddenly look "old old".

Yeah. If you grew up in the 80s or 90s Stewart has looked pretty much the same age for your entire life…until about 5 years ago when suddenly you realized hes gonna die

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Patrick Stewart looked like he was in his mid-60s for the past 30 years until in the last five to seven years he suddenly appeared to age all that missing time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

But if he gets old what hope is there for me

No one posting in this thread should have any hope of aging well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m going to age well in the sense that it will be physically impossible to look worse.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sunday at work posted:

Voyager would have been a great series to make starting a few years ago both in that the plot lends itself to serialization and that the franchise needed 15 years off the air before a new series.

They couldn't do that though because Paramount was desperate for programming on UPN.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

LividLiquid posted:

This post fucks.

That's exactly how I felt about Season 1. Stolen valor and cheap stakes-raising.

I think the silliest example of stakes-raising just for the sake of turning every last scene up to 11 was Rios tragic back story where his captain was ordered, with no explanation given to murder 2 friendly aliens or else starfleet WOULD BLOW UP HIS SHIP AND EVERYONE ON BOARD.

I think that was the last nail in the coffin for me on season 1. Like, its so monstrous it makes the literal Nazis look reasonable. If a Nazi sub captain refused an order, even the Nazis would just relieve him of command, imprison him, whatever, not remote detonate the sub. The Nazis!

It would have been so easy to do that exact same backstory, but have his captain refuse, lose his command, maybe even face prison time, and some section 31 jack-off take command and kill them. It would still be pretty dumb, but there was no need to dial it up to loving 11 "we, starfleet, are going to KILL YOU ALL with no explanation, and now your captain is going to BLOW HIS FACE OFF".

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 17, 2021

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh good Star Trek: Gruesome Death is back.

Does anyone on that show NOT have a tragic backstory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Khanstant posted:

Worst part of this was Jurati in several scenes... we were promised she would be turning herself in, why is she not in jail?

Q or whatever hosed the timeline, no one's exactly where they were earlier.