Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

RealFoxy posted:

Speaking of Triple H, Imperium reminds me of that quote except anytime imperium are on stage I just myself "Where's Walter"
I think they're really talented in the ring and their 3 on 4 match with Undisputed Era remains one of my all time favorite NXT payoffs. I wish they weren't on regular NXT so much and were hiding out somewhere in Europe with Walter though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Samoa Joe should lead a stable of badass security guards that tower over the NXT roster. Every match is a lumber jack match featuring Samoan Security as the lumberjacks who just completely manhandle the NXT developmental trainees like Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly who start to lose their passion for the wrestling business as a result. Eventually NXT transitions to a security guard training school for local Florida malls and events

bartok
May 10, 2006

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Samoa Joe should lead a stable of badass security guards that tower over the NXT roster. Every match is a lumber jack match featuring Samoan Security as the lumberjacks who just completely manhandle the NXT developmental trainees like Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly who start to lose their passion for the wrestling business as a result. Eventually NXT transitions to a security guard training school for local Florida malls and events

or Samoa Joe could play Paul Blart's Samoan cousin in Paul Blart Mall Cop 3.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

One of their first jobs is enforcing the exclusion zone that stops Patrick Clark Jr going within 500 yards of a school.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Kevin Northcutt account spotted

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Joe's new role is an expression of a long standing problem in WWE culture: the management is more badass and tougher than the wrestlers. While its not as ridiculous as say Vince McMahon beating C show champs via gently caress finishes, it still makes the wrestlers look like loser geeks. Cole should have knocked Joe's rear end out and declared he was gonna fight Shanky or Quagmire to prove he's tougher than Kyle O'Reilly.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kevin Northcutt account spotted

I didn’t know about this but of course TNA already ran this angle lmao

cams
Mar 28, 2003

coconono posted:

Joe's new role is an expression of a long standing problem in WWE culture: the management is more badass and tougher than the wrestlers. While its not as ridiculous as say Vince McMahon beating C show champs via gently caress finishes, it still makes the wrestlers look like loser geeks. Cole should have knocked Joe's rear end out and declared he was gonna fight Shanky or Quagmire to prove he's tougher than Kyle O'Reilly.
MANAGEMENT ROOLZ LABOR DROOLZ

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
yeah, management clowning on the rank and file, that's why the attitude era was so successful

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is it possible Joe went with WWE because there wasn't any interest from anyone else at a price he was happy with?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's 2021 and the Punk laughing at Joe on the phone cartoon is still relevant.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

If that was the case and Joe is healthy to compete, I don't understand how Tony doesn't close this deal.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

If that was the case and Joe is healthy to compete, I don't understand how Tony doesn't close this deal.

I think anybody who Joe has name value to is already watching Dynamite and AEW has a bucket of wrestlers as good as 2021 Joe. I could totally believe he priced himself out of going to Jacksonville.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If Joe is actually just going to stay in NXT, then this deal is probably preferable for a larger guy who probably does not enjoy squished air travel. Even when in non-pandemic times, NXT is always in Florida except for Takeovers when they're attached to a main roster event, right? So he may have essentially cut down his amount of air travel by like 95%. Even in a non-wrestling role with AEW, he'd still have to fly somewhere at least once a week. (this all assumes Joe lives in Florida, which is what I assume for most WWE folks)

Wasn't one of the reasons Lance Archer left New Japan for AEW due to the long flights and how uncomfortable they were for him with his history of back issues? Sure, he still has to travel for them now but he's not doing those 16 hour flights at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, Finn wanted to go back to NXT for less travel as well.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I don't think Joe entertained any serious offers or was contractually obligated to hear WWE's offer first.

TK absolutely would have come through with anything Joe needed to keep healthy or happy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

coconono posted:

I don't think Joe entertained any serious offers or was contractually obligated to hear WWE's offer first.

TK absolutely would have come through with anything Joe needed to keep healthy or happy.

He made like one tweet about "Getting through this non-compete" and then went quiet pretty much immediately. I think HHH probably reached out to him quickly and he just didn't want to go through all the rigmarole of changing companies.

I have a really, really hard time believing AEW wouldn't do what they needed to get Joe if the opportunity was there, whether he can wrestle or not.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

fantasy booking wrestler contract offers

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

jesus WEP posted:

fantasy booking wrestler contract offers

better than the TV shows WWE offer

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I think Joe didn’t have a ride to the unemployment office after getting fired so the company could report earnings that were like $100,000 higher 2 quarters from now and Paul Hunter asked him if he wanted to hop on the back of his motor tricycle and it was then that Joe learned who his loyal friends were

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I think Joe didn’t have a ride to the unemployment office after getting fired so the company could report earnings that were like $100,000 higher 2 quarters from now and Paul Hunter asked him if he wanted to hop on the back of his motor tricycle and it was then that Joe learned who his loyal friends were

Why wouldn't he just ride the motor tricycle to the unemployment office?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

after watching some actual Nigerian wrestling, I can confirm the Nigerian Drums match was racist as gently caress.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

coconono posted:

after watching some actual Nigerian wrestling, I can confirm the Nigerian Drums match was racist as gently caress.

Quite the scoop

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

coconono posted:

From the last 31 years of being Nigerian, I can also back this up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MJeff posted:

From the last 31 years of being Nigerian, I can also back this up.

Did you go to the show in Abuja last sunday?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Samoa Joe in 2021 doesn’t bring anything to AEW that isn’t already there

It’s tragic that he missed out on getting to be in AEW back in 2005 or so

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

how about a good 2nd commentator

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AEW really could've used someone like Joe back in 2005.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

no thats the fiend

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

how about a good 2nd commentator

they had goldenboy but couldn't keep him cause his schedule is just way too busy

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

coconono posted:

Did you go to the show in Abuja last sunday?

2nd gen, I should be clear. :v:

rotinaj posted:

It’s tragic that he missed out on getting to be in AEW back in 2005 or so

Joe's too smart and too good to not bring something. Manager, commentator, coach, whatever, he's a guy you find a place for.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

2nd gen, I should be clear. :v:

Joe's too smart and too good to not bring something. Manager, commentator, coach, whatever, he's a guy you find a place for.

That's the thing, though, anywhere he comes in, he displaces someone else. On a show that's overflowing with talent to the point that they are already wasting folks, I'd rather let Joe stay in NXT and do his thing being an authority figure and pulling a paycheck to wear a suit on TV. If it were 2005 S'Moe Joe coming into AEW and kicking Lance Archer out of his spot as third-best monster, I'm down, but post-TNA stairs bump Joe might as well rest up and feather his nest egg with WWE money.

Take WWE for all it's worth until something changes there, or AEW gets a second show.

Edit: I will admit defeat on commentary, though. Joe in as commentator would be pretty great.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

joe did a shitload for the business and if he's happy with being a backstage goon who occasionally wrestles more power to him imo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AEW found use in signing Sting, Christian Cage, Paul Wight, and Mark Henry. It seems silly to presume they had no interest in a generational talent with friends and peers in the promotion who has always been regarded highly in multiple aspects of the business and can maybe still go.

Its ok to lose some. Its ok to speculate that maybe they hypothetically missed out on a talent they wanted. Who knows? But lessening Joe feels unnecessary.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jeff Hardy going through another rough patch, huh

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
jobbing to jinder mahal in a 3 minute match while his brother re-invented himself again as one of the best heel acts in current memory

edit: twice back-to-back :stare:

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 16, 2021

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Kunabomber posted:

jobbing to jinder mahal in a 3 minute match while his brother re-invented himself again as one of the best heel acts in current memory

This is the buildup to Disassembled Jeff Hardy

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

This is the buildup to Disassembled Jeff Hardy

now I want him to do a short circuit gimmick where he thinks he's a robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Kunabomber posted:

More than exponential growth. By SummerSlam they’re gonna be putting on a 60 minute classic