Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

he's probably not wrong, but lol razib khan, a steve sailer hobnobbing race scientist

Isn't anthropology as proof of modern national identity the same thing that Israel is criticized for? Using 3,000 year old ancient claims to determine territorial ownership?

What if the out-of-Taiwan theory just means that not only the Austronesians settle Polynesia and Southeast Asia, but they also settled southern China as well. Fujianese are descended from ancient Taiwanese settlers :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Maximo Roboto posted:

kinda like Maoism

:hai:

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

crepeface posted:

i salute the brave and better paid members of the 50 cent army for their sacrificial probes in d&d. i will not be joining them as i have written d&d off once i ate a 7 day probe for posting references in reply to a question. namaste 謝謝你

drat, everyone on that page got probation except me for wading into a discussion I prompted and even for attempting to clarify and expand on points I was making, and not a single concrete fact to dispute the actual data emerged. I'm still feeling things out but lesson learned, I think I'll back away from that thread for now :yikes:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

So what is the original argument? What is the one Taiwanese food that was not origined from Chinese regional cruisaine?

I would like to know so I will seek it out.

go to one of the reservations and eat aboriginal food it's not too hard

also, bubble tea is an obvious one

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Mongolian BBQ is Taiwanese

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

crepeface posted:

i salute the brave and better paid members of the 50 cent army for their sacrificial probes in d&d. i will not be joining them as i have written d&d off once i ate a 7 day probe for posting references in reply to a question. namaste 謝謝你

namaste means hello and 謝謝 means thank you

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

Mongolian BBQ is Taiwanese

general Tso's chicken was discovered by a taiwanese guy

edit: so were instant noodles

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Why would you post in DnD, kids? Are you trying to convince the State Department?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Some Guy TT posted:

my main knowledge of taiwan is from an academic book arguing that prior to the second sinojapanese war taiwan had a very favorable impression of japan because in stark contrast to their previous masters the japanese constructed public works projects and established schools and gave them citizenship which however imperfectly applied was still a significant improvement over their status under chinese or dutch control

this attitude was attributed to a lack of clear ethnic identity a major contrast with the koreans who much more actively resisted the japanese because they believed themselves to have a meaningfully distinct culture which the japanese were trying to destroy

no one remembers dutch control that's like saying california remembers russian control except that california was russian 200 years more recently than Taiwan was dutch

yeah Japan was a modernizing force in Taiwan, building railroads and electricity generating dams and universities etc. and while it was definitely a colony under control for expropriating wood, camphor, gold and food with curfews and little political power given to locals. people saw that as a better deal than corrupt useless qing governers who left taiwan a backwater and while people might fondly remember their grandpa 阿兵哥, Chiang Kaishek fuckin sucked and installed a foreign born dictatorship like Japan had done but now it's mandarin instead of Japanese (local people spoke neither unless educated in it) and it's not trying to win the hearts and minds, instead killing and imprisoning hundreds of thousands

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think it's possible that if the commies had gotten to Taiwan first it would be a reverently red province to this day

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

crepeface posted:

related, there's this article which outlines the origin of bushido and how it was some japanese christian's attempt to sell japan as "white" to the west. samurai and bushido was meant to be analogous to knights and the chilvaric code and though reception was good in the west, people in japan thought it was bullshit. it wasn't until imperial japan needed it to self-mythologize the way so many fascist nations do did it gain internal recognition and support.

https://www.tofugu.com/japan/bushido/

Some of the arguments here are just lol though.

Our mans is just too westernized and detached from his own culture.

quote:

Unique to his era, Nitobe's knowledge of English and Western literature remains impressive even by today's standards. Oleg Benesch, author of the in-depth study Bushido: The Creation of a Martial Ethic In Late Meiji Japan writes that Nitobe grew to be "more comfortable in English than Japanese" and eventually "lamented his lack of education in Japanese history and religion" (159).

Wait, actually he is just another asian who's incapable of expressing themselves in the sophisticated languages of the west.

quote:

Nitobe put faith in the power of his pen and began to write. By simplifying the most eloquent, ideal aspects of Japanese culture into terms the West could relate to, he hoped to paint a new, noble image of Japan. Writing in English only served to make Nitobe's contrivance more deliberate. Maria Navarro and Alison Beeby explain,

The original text (of Nitobe's book) was written in English, which was not Nitobe's mother tongue… Writing in a foreign language obliges one to "filter" one's own emotions and modes of expression… It allows the writer to express more empathy for the 'other culture' (in Nitobe's case Western culture). Furthermore, one is much more conscious of what one wants to say, or what one wishes to avoid saying, in order to make the work more acceptable for intended readers.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Antonymous posted:

while people might fondly remember their grandpa 阿兵哥, Chiang Kaishek fuckin sucked and installed a foreign born dictatorship like Japan had done but now it's mandarin instead of Japanese (local people spoke neither unless educated in it) and it's not trying to win the hearts and minds, instead killing and imprisoning hundreds of thousands

The KMT perpetuated the 2-28 incident, a repression so bad that Guinness recorded it as the worst riot in history. They then imposed martial law for like forty years. The Taiwanese native intelligentsia was extinguished by the KMT, who knows if there could've been a flourishing of Taiwanese identity like there was in the '20s if that hadn't happened.

It's both darkly funny and pretty disgusting that Chinese reunificationists are fans of the KMT now because they're also for reunification.

Antonymous posted:

I think it's possible that if the commies had gotten to Taiwan first it would be a reverently red province to this day

There were indigenous communists, after all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_Communist_Party

Also, funnily enough, Mao was pro-Taiwanese independence during World War II, as he saw it as a way to weaken Japanese colonialism.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1405219989712424966

indeed

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/aeaiyo/status/1405198005674811393

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if liberals didn't want china to become the dominant world power maybe they should've picked the other side of the sino-soviet split

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Maximo Roboto posted:

he's probably not wrong, but lol razib khan, a steve sailer hobnobbing race scientist
https://razib.substack.com/p/made-in-china

Razib Khan posted:

Xinjiang is Dzungar land emptied of Dzungars. And now it looks poised to be emptied of their Uyghur successors. Sadly, genocide, that darkest of human stains, is not a recent Western invention, but Made In China, too.

Maximo Roboto posted:

Isn't anthropology as proof of modern national identity the same thing that Israel is criticized for? Using 3,000 year old ancient claims to determine territorial ownership?

https://twitter.com/hei_tetao/status/1405066364545552387
https://twitter.com/notXiangyu/status/1405015292477120518
https://twitter.com/willehelmwonka/status/1405217198591733760

Maximo Roboto posted:

What if the out-of-Taiwan theory just means that not only the Austronesians settle Polynesia and Southeast Asia, but they also settled southern China as well. Fujianese are descended from ancient Taiwanese settlers :tinfoil:

https://www.gnxp.com/WordPress/2020...the-han-chinese

quote:

Ancient samples from northern and southern China are well differentiated, with pairwise Fst of around 0.04. Modern individuals sampled from these regions are closer to 0.02. Part of this is due to a significant expansion of “northern” ancestry at the expense of “southern”. But there is also some flow northward of “southern” ancestry.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41576-020-0222-3

quote:

To understand how these genes could be present in Africans, given that Neanderthals were localized to Europe and Asia, the authors simulated characteristics such as the length and frequency of introgressed archaic segments in the modern African genomes and the amount of sequence shared between African and non-African populations based on different historical demographic situations. They then compared these predictions with their empirical data. The authors found that the most probable model of admixture with Neanderthals was not due to a single interbreeding event between Neanderthals and African ancestors, but through back-migration of non-African ancestors carrying Neanderthal genes into Africa. Their model also supported the introduction of H. sapiens DNA into the Neanderthal genome through early migration events from Africa.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

5. Build your news organization’s muscle for determining the origin and nature of viral information. A responsible newsroom would never take the authenticity of leaked or other non-public content at face value because the authenticity of the content goes to the very heart of its newsworthiness

the only legit sources are CIA press releases

what in the world

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
it is SO loving STUPID you guys

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Jun 16, 2021

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Good job posting a lot of unrelated links that might be true but have nothing to do with what I wrote

However cringe it is to minimize one part of someone's ancestry in order to prop up another, what does that have anything to do with modern territorial claims? And surely new nationalities can be born after centuries elsewhere? The Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia aren't Qing citizens, are they?

So you're saying there was an influx of mainland Fujianese descended from Austronesian settlers from Taiwan back to Taiwan... makes sense, given how emigration flows both ways.

lol hard to say, this might be true, or it might be another linguistic chauvinistic claim like all of those Cantonese speakers who claim that their dialect more closely relates to Classical Chinese, and keep spreading the myth that Cantonese was to be the ROC's official language except for one dissenting vote in 1912.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cookie Cutter posted:

drat, everyone on that page got probation except me for wading into a discussion I prompted and even for attempting to clarify and expand on points I was making, and not a single concrete fact to dispute the actual data emerged. I'm still feeling things out but lesson learned, I think I'll back away from that thread for now :yikes:

now you know!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ten years ago liberals bigged themselves up on being "reality" or "truth based" in opposition to conservative ideology, but now reality is inconvenient for their own meager political agenda that can only advance interests on the margins at best - therefore truth is now a subjective instrument with political weight and you can deny it so long as it serves "progress." They're all so transparently cynical and only for the most pathetic reasons. It's loving infuriating. None of what they're doing this for is even worth it.

ten years? hillary was running on "reality has a liberal bias" bullshit just 5 years ago lmao

not saying brains weren't broke before but trump winning vs hill probably took the biggest toll recently, so reality now has to adapt to that lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Launch time 922pm EST

Chinese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k9U8GbR-oY

English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cburnLophMs

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Jun 17, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Antonymous posted:

namaste means hello and 謝謝 means thank you

謝謝

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

anyone know what the future outlook on healthcare in China and Vietnam is supposed to be? Is the current privatized model supposed to be a stopgap until they can transition to a socialized system or is it supposed to just keep going like that? they do seem to be progressively improving their social services and free healthcare seems like it’d be something that would be an eventual goal if they wanted to beat living standards in the rest of Asia and a pretty unambiguous step forward from an ideological perspective

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Maximo Roboto posted:

Good job posting a lot of unrelated links that might be true but have nothing to do with what I wrote

However cringe it is to minimize one part of someone's ancestry in order to prop up another, what does that have anything to do with modern territorial claims? And surely new nationalities can be born after centuries elsewhere? The Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia aren't Qing citizens, are they?

Maximo Roboto posted:

quote:

Lol, she's a part of "I'm not Chinese at all, actually I'm 1/24 plain aborigine" crowd

quote:

You automatically disregard centuries of autonomy & assume all Taiwanese people are KMT refugees. Most immigrants during the Qing Dynasty were men, who then took indigenous wives.

quote:

As I know so far, as least my great grandmother and her family were all Taiwanese indigenous people from Southern Taiwan.
The 1st immigrants to Taiwan around 16 to 18th century were southern mainland indigenous people, not "Han ethnic", to be precisely.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/issybellapie/status/1338699053232746497
https://twitter.com/notXiangyu/status/1338699436613103617

huhwhat has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Jun 17, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

So do you have your own opinions or what?

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So do you have your own opinions or what?

https://twitter.com/notXiangyu/status/1380838909823836161

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

That doesn't answer my question.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Is this the avant garde of DnD posting where you only communicate in citations?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

"The Chinese Communist Party and the Status of Taiwan, 1928-1943" by Frank S. T. Hsiao and Lawrence R. Sullivan

Maximo Roboto has issued a correction as of 08:13 on Jun 17, 2021

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
trying to (dis)prove indigeneity with genetics or 'blood purity' or whatever is extremely fail

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

exmarx posted:

trying to (dis)prove indigeneity with genetics or 'blood purity' or whatever is extremely fail
https://twitter.com/PAstynome/status/1405218653868421124

huhwhat has issued a correction as of 07:18 on Jun 17, 2021

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
https://grahamefuller.com/who-gets-to-have-a-state/

quote:

China has many languages or “dialects” that are barely mutually comprehensible, although they basically share a common written language. So what would make Shangainese or Cantonese a “dialect” and not a language worthy of independence? Someone once suggested that a “language” is no more than a “dialect with an army.”

The number of independent states in the world is still growing, but it is politics–domestic and international–that basically determines the outcome. The quest for an independent state today is often sparked by bad, incompetent or oppressive rule on the part of the dominant power group in the state. The Rohingya in Burma are only the latest sad victims of such a dominant Burmese ruling group.

Content and thriving populations, on the other hand, even minorities, don’t usually seek their own state unless the expected gains appear to be great–enough to justify war, destruction and death.

Traditionally strong states crack down harshly at any suggestion of separatism. Lincoln did so against the rebellious Confederate States in the American Civil War. China and India today, among other states, will not hear of separatism and move to crush it by force. Yet today many larger states, especially in the democratic West, have achieved some measure of wisdom or maturity in not applying armed force to prevent secession referendums, aware that repression will often only exacerbate separatist passions. Economic instruments are becoming the preferred weapon.

So how many states should the world accept? Should any group that wants its own state be allowed to have it? Who will decide? In the end it is power relationships that decide.

One approach for the future might be to accept the idea, at least theoretically, that any community that wishes to have its own state should be able to have it.

The future will be messy, but hopefully will be conducted under more peaceful and democratic procedures for autonomy or independence. But there are no guarantees.

Graham E. Fuller is a former senior CIA official, author of numerous books on the Muslim World; his latest book is “Breaking Faith: A novel of espionage and an American’s crisis of conscience in Pakistan.” (Amazon, Kindle) grahamefuller.com

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

anyone know what the future outlook on healthcare in China and Vietnam is supposed to be? Is the current privatized model supposed to be a stopgap until they can transition to a socialized system or is it supposed to just keep going like that? they do seem to be progressively improving their social services and free healthcare seems like it’d be something that would be an eventual goal if they wanted to beat living standards in the rest of Asia and a pretty unambiguous step forward from an ideological perspective

I hope someone knowledgeable will be able to answer this because it is a really interesting question, and also because I've completely lost track of whatever weird race science posting war is currently going on.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Some interesting notes from "The Chinese Communist Party and the Status of Taiwan, 1928-1943" by Hsiao and Sullivan

Basically, there is the acknowledgment of the importance of language in traditional Confucian conceptions of nationality, and also the importance of culture as derived from education (in the Confucian classics).

How does this matter in the era of 1928-1943? Well, the essay then goes on to contrast attitudes on nationality held by Marx, Lenin, and Stalin, concluding that the pre-1943 Chinese Communists ended up identifying with the Leninist position, unlike the CPSU, and as a by-product considered the Taiwanese as a "weak and small nationality" and thus supported their national liberation. I would screenshot that page as well but no one is actually reading them.

It also covers the KMT position, with the amusing mention of Sun Yat-Sen's own (supposed) attitude:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lostconfused posted:

Some of the arguments here are just lol though.

quote:

Unique to his era, Nitobe's knowledge of English and Western literature remains impressive even by today's standards. Oleg Benesch, author of the in-depth study Bushido: The Creation of a Martial Ethic In Late Meiji Japan writes that Nitobe grew to be "more comfortable in English than Japanese" and eventually "lamented his lack of education in Japanese history and religion" (159).

Our mans is just too westernized and detached from his own culture.

quote:

Nitobe put faith in the power of his pen and began to write. By simplifying the most eloquent, ideal aspects of Japanese culture into terms the West could relate to, he hoped to paint a new, noble image of Japan. Writing in English only served to make Nitobe's contrivance more deliberate. Maria Navarro and Alison Beeby explain,

The original text (of Nitobe's book) was written in English, which was not Nitobe's mother tongue… Writing in a foreign language obliges one to "filter" one's own emotions and modes of expression… It allows the writer to express more empathy for the 'other culture' (in Nitobe's case Western culture). Furthermore, one is much more conscious of what one wants to say, or what one wishes to avoid saying, in order to make the work more acceptable for intended readers.

Wait, actually he is just another asian who's incapable of expressing themselves in the sophisticated languages of the west.

i don't think the... flowery embelishments undermine the central point that nitobe had a motive to sell japan as a "modern" colonial power to an intended western audience.

interesting. what's the source? it seems to diminish nitobe influence in favour of tetsujiro while still supporting the idea that the image of bushido and samurai was a constructed one but what's the conclusion in the paper? that it wasn't state sponsored?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

this is funny cuz they just recently opened a cheesecake factory in downtown shanghai and everyone complains the portions are so big every dish for like 4 people. there has been one next to disneyland for a few years but that was thought of as a weird novelty and I guess people didn't know that's just how it is.

they do have the weight of each dish tho and when i went one of the smallest entrees was like a 750g burrito lol.

their cheesecake tho is legit as gently caress and worth going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mantis42 posted:

There was a p good blog post noting this same thing

https://lateralthinkingtechnology.w...ied-trade-wars/

this was long but interesting, thanks. Rising Sun was a movie that i remember watching uncritically as a kid. one line that stuck out to me:

quote:

The ‘Beijing Biden’ line still sticks, goading this inherently limp administration into a stiffness it can barely keep up.

the blog seems pretty good, lots of interesting topics that it can be difficult to find a non-terrible perspective on in english, i just read this one about cantonese vs mandarin language: https://lateralthinkingtechnology.w...of-development/