Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Golden Bee posted:

More than exponential growth. By SummerSlam they’re gonna be putting on a 60 minute classic

Wrong direction, Jinder beat him faster the second time around.

They’re going to beat that Daniel Bryan/Sheamus record just in case Bryan doesn’t re-sign (he will)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
We come back from the commercial, joining a match already in progress, Jinder is pinning Jeff.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A question apropos of nothing. But it is WWE related.

You know how there is NXT UK, and the failed attempt at NXT Japan?

Did they ever try to do a NXT Mexico? A country with a big wrestling fanbase, a country from which they can steal/hoard talent. And also an ethnic demographic which is largely important to their US business.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question apropos of nothing. But it is WWE related.

You know how there is NXT UK, and the failed attempt at NXT Japan?

Did they ever try to do a NXT Mexico? A country with a big wrestling fanbase, a country from which they can steal/hoard talent. And also an ethnic demographic which is largely important to their US business.

There's even more local politics that japan that WWE has* managed to completely whiff. Lucha Libre is a deep cultural tradition and any change, particularly brought in by outsiders, is met with fierce resistance.

*allegedly, I don't know how much of the botched purchase attempt is out in the open. All I know is WWE tried to purchase a gym/arena/company and then suddenly WWE wasn't.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The purogoons can answer this better than I can but the way I remember it, apparently the Japanese promotions asked questions like "So, when is NXT Japan actually going to start?", they didn't have an answer, and they all immediately went running to Bushiroad and CyberAgent.

Which implies that the UK promotions just....never asked any questions.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

allegedly, WWE tried to buy stardom but when pressed on who gets what/etc/etc WWE couldn't answer the question straight and the deal fell through. Rossy would later sell the company to Bushiroad.

Meiko and Saree were their only ins but neither were really interested in being NXT Japan because they know an outsider would be fiercely resisted. And those found aiding and abetting will get it worse.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Personally, I never enjoyed much of Joe's work in WWE and he's only getting older. AEW is jacked. I'm happy to see him cash checks and I guess choke Adam Cole out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The most I remember of Joe wrestling in WWE was he was presented as a real threat to Brock Lesnar in the build to their match and then Brock beat him in 6 minutes with one F5

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

BrigadierSensible posted:

One of their corporate suits said in the last year that they were very interested in doing more Mexico / Latin American content, which was a statement that all of us immediately just laughed at because lol

lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I wouldn't assume the WWEs move on Japan is completely dead and buried just yet. I am sure Nick Khan doesn't share HHH weird goal of spreading the WWE across the world like a virus which might stop it from happening. However, if they do want to make another run at it in 2022 as Japan in theory starts to be able to run more unrestricted shows they may find more willing sellers. Covid hit the Japanese scene pretty hard. The Bushiroad and Cyberagent promotions are insulated to a degree but a promotion like AJPW may be interested if the WWE comes a calling.

Will it work ? Probably not because they will lack draws for the Japanese audience.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ad by Khad posted:

One of their corporate suits said in the last year that they were very interested in doing more Mexico / Latin American content, which was a statement that all of us immediately just laughed at because lol

lol

It was around the end of December or beginning of January, and they fired Andrade barely three months later and did the same to Kalisto a few weeks after that

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I wouldn't assume the WWEs move on Japan is completely dead and buried just yet. I am sure Nick Khan doesn't share HHH weird goal of spreading the WWE across the world like a virus which might stop it from happening. However, if they do want to make another run at it in 2022 as Japan in theory starts to be able to run more unrestricted shows they may find more willing sellers. Covid hit the Japanese scene pretty hard. The Bushiroad and Cyberagent promotions are insulated to a degree but a promotion like AJPW may be interested if the WWE comes a calling.

Will it work ? Probably not because they will lack draws for the Japanese audience.

the closest a wrestling promoter has ever gotten to japan was Jim Barnett. And that was purely on Jim's charm. IIRC he did a few tour shows there without much opposition or complaint. Nick Khan is not Jim Barnett.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

It was around the end of December or beginning of January, and they fired Andrade barely three months later and did the same to Kalisto a few weeks after that

They don't want them, they want more Del Rios.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
More lawsuits this time for insider trading

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/...ampaign=dlvr.it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oldpainless posted:

The most I remember of Joe wrestling in WWE was he was presented as a real threat to Brock Lesnar in the build to their match and then Brock beat him in 6 minutes with one F5

Great Balls of Fire

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

The purogoons can answer this better than I can but the way I remember it, apparently the Japanese promotions asked questions like "So, when is NXT Japan actually going to start?", they didn't have an answer, and they all immediately went running to Bushiroad and CyberAgent.

I’m pretty sure they ran the UK title tournament before NXT UK was a thing, so I guess that was enough groundwork for them to go “oh ok they’re serious about it look it even has a real WWE belt already”.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

forkboy84 posted:

Great Balls of Fire

__EAT BALLS

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

MJeff posted:

The thing about the UK promotions is that WWE was their dream. They got mark dealed into killing a thriving scene by having WWE sign their paychecks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Burn Down Canberra posted:

If it's a global corporation, which WWE is, they're going to want a foothold in as many places as possible. My assumption of Nick is he's as much of a traditional business guy as anybody in the corporate world. So his line of thinking is likely that if you're not growing, you're dying, and expanding to different markets certainly denotes growth.

Their motivation for doing so is probably different, though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

oldpainless posted:

Oh hey it’s nearly every Brock match of the past five years.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

oldpainless posted:

If I’m remembering right that was the year where they were dead set on coronating Roman by beating Brock but they kept not pulling the trigger because the crowd reactions weren’t there.

Both Joe and Braun should’ve won the belt that year as they were at their hottest. If they had done that, they would’ve at least built out a good main event scene. Instead we had peak LOLBROCKWINS and we’re still stuck with beating Brock as the only way to justify someone’s main event status.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Dacap posted:

If I’m remembering right that was the year where they were dead set on coronating Roman by beating Brock but they kept not pulling the trigger because the crowd reactions weren’t there.

Both Joe and Braun should’ve won the belt that year as they were at their hottest. If they had done that, they would’ve at least built out a good main event scene. Instead we had peak LOLBROCKWINS and we’re still stuck with beating Brock as the only way to justify someone’s main event status.

oh yeah that ruled. an endless parade of people crowds actually wanted to be champ jobbed out by brock in under 5 minutes

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
It's almost like when you sacrifice your entire roster for one guy repeatedly for a straight decade, nobody besides that guy gets over.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Also, the payoff to all of that was Roman losing clean at Wrestlemania. So he didn't even get over on paper.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

did Roman even ever pin Brock clean after all these years

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

“Main event[edit]
In the main event, Brock Lesnar defended the Universal Championship against Roman Reigns. Before the match began, Braun Strowman stated his intention to cash-in his Money in the Bank contract on the winner and remained at ringside. As soon as the match began, Reigns surprised Lesnar with three superman punches and three spears. Lesnar applied a guillotine choke, only for Reigns to counter into a spinebuster. Lesnar performed two German suplexes on Reigns. As Reigns attempted another spear, Lesnar avoided it, resulting in Reigns accidentally performing a suicide dive onto Strowman outside the ring. Lesnar then performed an "F-5" on Strowman, struck Strowman with the briefcase, and threw the briefcase up the stage ramp. In the climax, Lesnar then attacked Strowman with a chair preventing him from cashing in after the match. Reigns then performed another spear on Lesnar to win the title, ending Lesnar's reign at 504 days.[30]”

lmao so no. after years and years Roman pinned Brock due to Braun being a dumbass

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Shane was right when he called him stupid, in and out of the ring

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

The title of the article: "Charlotte Flair: I Want To Be On The Card With Men, I Don't Need An All-Female Show To Be Highlighted"

quote:

"Would an all-women's show be great? Yes. Would another all-women's pay-per-view be great? Yes. But I'm in the mindset that I want to be on the card with men. I want to be on the card where there's eight matches and I want to be the best of the night no matter the gender. I don't need an all-women's show or an all-women's pay-per-view to highlight my performance or skill or being a lady wrestler. No. I want to prove, no matter man or woman, I am the best. I think it's great, but I don't need an all-women's show to show I'm a great wrestler. Any promotion, any female star, anyone should say they are the best. You should not be in this business unless you're saying you're the best. Wherever you are in the world you should say you're the best.”

No poo poo Charlotte doesn't really see a problem with this, because outside of Wrestlemania due to a COVID scare, she's almost always heavily featured on every PPV card, moreso than pretty much every other woman on the roster not named Becky.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yeah, all that basically translates to "I'm going to be on the card anyway so it doesn't affect me"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Funny thing to say in a company where women get three minute matches and, because of a toy sponsorship, absolutely cannot wrestle men outside of comedy matches.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So in actual heartwarming news:

https://twitter.com/KairiSaneWWE/status/1405523341939593224

Basically she passed an exam and is a certified sports mental health trainer/therapist now, as she wants to prevent another Hana Kimura situation.

...Kairi is way too good for this entire business. :shobon:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Lid posted:

More lawsuits this time for insider trading

is this why they're giving Piper that Doudrop pun name about stocks dropping

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

DarkstarIV posted:

So in actual heartwarming news:

https://twitter.com/KairiSaneWWE/status/1405523341939593224

Basically she passed an exam and is a certified sports mental health trainer/therapist now, as she wants to prevent another Hana Kimura situation.

...Kairi is way too good for this entire business. :shobon:

:unsmith:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I really miss that glorious flying elbow drop.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
still a little bummed that wwe didn't lean even harder into naming shows and renaming people to try to affect seo

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I really miss that glorious flying elbow drop.

Wished she actually won matches so I could see it more.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1405580001391562752

shout out to people being like "the pay wasn't that good" and being more about actually competing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Per Fightful Select, apparently some of the released talent are asking WWE if they can forego their non competes, ranging from the last few days to the entire balance of it and WWE is apparently receptive to it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MJeff posted:

Per Fightful Select, apparently some of the released talent are asking WWE if they can forego their non competes, ranging from the last few days to the entire balance of it and WWE is apparently receptive to it.
I'm going to guess it's entirely because it's Nick Khan's call now and he's not spitefully keeping people under contract, so letting them skip their 90 days is also beneficial to the WWE because they don't have to pay them for nothing, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
In news that will shock approximately...zero people:

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1405577558922514438?s=19