Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Imagined posted:

What do you reckon is the game with the widest gap between 'number of people who own it' vs 'number who've ever finished a game of it'?
Are we including the various thematic offshoots of Monopoly? Star Wars-opoly, Coca-Cola-opoly, Xth Anniversary Monopoly, etc.

Because while plenty of people play Monopoly growing up, when people buy stuff like "National Parks Monopoly" or whatever, I have to imagine virtually none of those ever even get unwrapped - either it's bought specifically to display/collect with no intent to ever play it as a board game OR the recipient already has normal Monopoly OR they're purchased as a gift for a board gamer by a well-meaning friend who thinks "you like board games and you like hiking, National Parks Monopoly is perfect" which no just no. So if you sum up all of those various versions, that's gotta be a several million copy gap right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
This bizarre Kickstarter just fascinated me and I used to do corporate investigations into shell corps, etc. so I figured I’d dust off that skill set and dig in for an hour. Whoever is behind this “company” has thrown out a bunch of different businesses that are loosely related or tied to the same location and/or officers. Some of them are pretty bizarre and unrelated so money laundering might be on the table. The parent company has been around about 20 years.

There’s a number of design, energy audit, air condition, engineering companies associated with the group. All of them have really generic websites with pictures that look like stock pictures. No contact info is available on any of the sites, just contact forms. The teams for all these companies usually only have one person. That person has a single picture on the site. That person has one or two very empty social media/linked in profiles with the same pictures. Their work histories are... questionable at best. These are all more related to the people involved than the parent company so this could be its own branch of crazy totally unrelated to bad toy manufacturing.

A few are directly related to Toy manufacturing though. One made these monstrosities:

https://youtu.be/-_Ypp8H67i8

Which look like knock-off shopkins except creepy. There was some real person associated with the toy company that made these and not one of the questionable personas associated with the bizarre engineering/design companies.

Oh, there are also some truly bizarre patents associated with the company as well. A game controller that is rifle that you have to field strip for one.

So in summary, it’s a bizarre mishmash of failed toys, a bunch of companies that don’t seem to be real, nonsensical patents, and lots of shell companies. Could be money laundering, could also be some family that just tries a lot of different businesses trying to make something work.

I’ve definitely had situations in my past job where I absolutely thought something shady was going on but when I got more evidence it just turned out to be stupidity/incompetence. I would bet more on that in this situation. It’s just bad toy designers running various get rich quick schemes with fad toys or brands. Either way, the company in question and their related companies absolutely do not have a history of making anything quality or successful.

Not sure why the gently caress Blizzard licensed to them.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Other than the obvious, I thought it was weird that the faction leaders were wrong/dead for current WoW.

I mean other than how stupid the entire product sounds.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Azubah posted:

Other than the obvious, I thought it was weird that the faction leaders were wrong/dead for current WoW.

I mean other than how stupid the entire product sounds.

Yeah, the model selection seems like a mixed bag. Without Velen & Lor'Themar, I feel like you could make an argument for it being a Classic WoW theme, especially with all the monster models being random Vanilla mobs. But then they throw in the Heart of Azeroth, and Mekkatorque in his post-Legion mech-suit.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 16, 2021

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'd love to know how much they paid for a WoW license to be able to produce a game like this.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Infinitum posted:

https://i.imgur.com/gI8R2PA.mp4

"With the addition of iconic architectural elements some landing spaces are raised as high as 11 inches ultimately obscuring the line of sight of all game pieces. The rules. have. change."

Obscuring your players view shouldn't be a selling point!

It's the opposite of a selling point!

:psyboom:

I hope it has a "keep one butt cheek seated at all times" rule like Crokinole, so you aren't allowed to stand up a little to see what is going on, you have to lean all over the place and try to peer around the dummy huge towers to figure out what the hell is going on

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I wish there were some genuinely interesting TG Kickstarters this week to help distract us from the unprecedented player distraction game World of Scamcraft.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Memnaelar posted:

I wish there were some genuinely interesting TG Kickstarters this week to help distract us from the unprecedented player distraction game World of Scamcraft.

I found Forests of Pangaia to be pretty interesting. Looks like an area control placement game, and the themes and look of it are delightful

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pangaia/forests-of-pangaia

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

I am currently backing Tea Scones and Arsenic, which I think looks like a lovely little 15min inbetweener game. Scones in a metal tin!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1886721229/tea-scones-and-arsenic-a-greedy-and-dangerous-game/description

Robot Quest Arena looks like a lot of fun and is finishing soon. It's essentially Robot Wars The Boardgame. Comes with really awesome coloured minis, and the rules look really well thought out
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/robot-quest-arena

Paris l'Étoile is also finishing soon. Looks like it has a good heritage by Kramer and Kiessling, and should fulfil your midweight euro needs. I am likely picking it up at this point.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamebrewer/paris-expansion

Buru has JUST finished, and I've backed it for pledge manager access. I think the theme on this one is too notch, and I'm going to put it to my game groups of they're interested in it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craftygames/buru?ref=discovery_category_ending_soon

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Infinitum posted:

I am currently backing Tea Scones and Arsenic, which I think looks like a lovely little 15min inbetweener game. Scones in a metal tin!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1886721229/tea-scones-and-arsenic-a-greedy-and-dangerous-game/description

Scones aren’t cookies/biscuits! <:mad:>

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The_Doctor posted:

From the rules they posted:

quote:

The creator of the game being a neophyte concerning english pastry, he had taken the liberty to use the term Scones as a synonym for Biscuits. It sounds “So British” to his french ears! Our sincere apologies to scone aficionados.

The rules also contain an actual scone recipe, though I'm not sure how good it is as I have never made scones myself.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

quote:

The creator of the game being a neophyte concerning english pastry, he had taken the liberty to use the term Scones as a synonym for Biscuits. It sounds “So British” to his french ears! Our sincere apologies to scone aficionados.

Makes sense, so probably therefore

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 17, 2021

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

It's unbackable with that repeated mistake

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

senrath posted:

From the rules they posted:

The rules also contain an actual scone recipe, though I'm not sure how good it is as I have never made scones myself.

Recipe seems fine

Could probably just use self raising flour instead of baking powder + plain flour and the temperature should be specified for conventional and fan forced (I'm assuming it's just conventional since 220 is too hot for the latter), but there's nothing wrong with it overall.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 17, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I said scones because they said scones, even though they're clearly biscuits!

*sips soft drink*

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Recipe seems fine

fan forced (I'm assuming it's just conventional since 220 is too hot for the latter), but there's nothing wrong with it overall.

Just means it was written by/for Americans, we don't have the preponderance of fan assisted ovens that the UK does.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

theironjef posted:

Just means it was written by/for Americans, we don't have the preponderance of fan assisted ovens that the UK does.

Going by general cooking instructions, drop temperature by 20C for fan assisted.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mode 7 posted:

The Campaign for North Africa

Someone should kickstart a re-make or sequel to it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Infinitum posted:

Robot Quest Arena looks like a lot of fun and is finishing soon. It's essentially Robot Wars The Boardgame. Comes with really awesome coloured minis, and the rules look really well thought out
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/robot-quest-arena

Super tempted by this ahhhhh

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My fav bit of tea related trivia I learnt recently is that the vast vast majority of Americans don't have electric kettles - it is a foreign concept to them.

ilmucche posted:

Super tempted by this ahhhhh

I am also very tempted to bounce of Paris onto it as well. It's so cute :swoon:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bruceski posted:

That's... I had a checkers board as a kid with that on the back. What on earth was it called? I'm gonna have to message my brother and see if he remembers.

Edit: found it! https://www.chessvariants.com/other.dir/smess.html

Yes, that's exactly what I was also thinking, but I didn't think anyone else would know what Smess was so I just said Chess. :shobon:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Infinitum posted:

My fav bit of tea related trivia I learnt recently is that the vast vast majority of Americans don't have electric kettles - it is a foreign concept to them.

I’d never had one before, but my wife is a big tea drinker so I got her one for Christmas. The thing is amazing. We use it for everything. We even had an insta-hot tap already, but we use the kettle way more. I don’t know how we lived without one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Infinitum posted:

Not so much now, you can get them at any Walmart/Target, but when I lived in the US about 15 years ago, they were unheard of. The best I could find was a plastic one that heated the water but had no automatic shutoff like English kettles do when they reach boil, so I’d turn it on, wander off, forget about it, and then come back to an empty kettle. :cripes:

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

We're doing our part! Our electric kettle even has ~6 different temperature settings for different tea types. Also on board that Chai: Tea for Two kickstarter ;)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

fischtick posted:

We're doing our part! Our electric kettle even has ~6 different temperature settings for different tea types. Also on board that Chai: Tea for Two kickstarter ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzkvVXr8nH4

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Infinitum posted:

For a while the only "electric kettles" I knew of were fancy ones that could heat to a set temperature instead of just being on/off, so I thought that was a feature in all of them and the reason you'd get one. Let to some confusion when I got tired of burning my mouth on hot cider from my stovetop kettle and was talking about getting a $20 electric one just for the consistent heating.

Unfortunately I don't do hot liquids often enough to invest more than that, particularly with my current countertop space.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Anyone who doesn't do electric kettles probably doesn't know about electric rice cookers either. (Rice cookers are amazing)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I think Alton Brown did a lot to popularize electric kettles in the states. I'm very happy with mine. If you drink essentially any amount of tea regularly, they are worth the price of admission.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’ve become a lot more popular, I’ve had one for years and you can regularly get them pretty cheap. Great for ramen noodles.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Magnetic North posted:

I think Alton Brown did a lot to popularize electric kettles in the states. I'm very happy with mine. If you drink essentially any amount of tea regularly, they are worth the price of admission.

That's where I first learned about them. I couldn't function without mine, especially now that I've switched from coffee to tea.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

My mom has this and it's amazing, does everything it says it does.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Arivia posted:

My mom has this and it's amazing, does everything it says it does.

I do too, and I agree! I also have a Zojirushi rice cooker because I'm a loving kitchen nerd.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

rantmo posted:

That's where I first learned about them. I couldn't function without mine, especially now that I've switched from coffee to tea.

Eletric kettles are great for coffee if you use an Aeropress or french press.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

clockworkjoe posted:

Eletric kettles are great for coffee if you use an Aeropress or french press.

Until you get lazy and just buy the cold brew bottles at the supermarket instead :eng99:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The weird part to me when I visited is that because electric kettles are rare, so are hot water bottles. My loved ones are in Minneapolis. It's so cold in the winter. And yet I had to teach them about hot water bottles. I bought a drat kettle at Target.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Forgot to back the robot fighting game before going to sleep :(

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Well, checking back in on the GameVaults project, they added a new video showing off their prototypes, so there has been some work being put in behind the scenes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCReC6wu1xs

It just seems like, there's so much wasted effort going into the design of this thing. Like, the vault mechanism legitimately looks pretty cool, but I don't need all that to play a board game. And they show off the bottoms of the terrain pieces with "Hidden details" that you wouldn't see during gameplay, magnets to attach them to the board, and I just kept thinking to myself, "If you cut out all this extra poo poo, have a $50~100 tier with a regular board and just the player pieces, this might have been a serviceable campaign."

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 18, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone worried over the cargo ship price gouging happening over in China affecting unfulfilled tabletop Kickstarters?
It might not be anything, but I'm hoping that all my games that haven't gotten on a boat yet aren't going to be delayed for a year (even if fully manufactured) or outright go undelivered.

I'm also not looking forward to project creators coming to their backers asking for a second payment of shipping costs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone worried over the cargo ship price gouging happening over in China affecting unfulfilled tabletop Kickstarters?
It might not be anything, but I'm hoping that all my games that haven't gotten on a boat yet aren't going to be delayed for a year (even if fully manufactured) or outright go undelivered.

I'm also not looking forward to project creators coming to their backers asking for a second payment of shipping costs.
Isaac mentioned this possibility in a recent frosthaven update. Seems to be a major concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm really hoping shipping normalizes in a few months. It's a major problem for Kickstarters that are delivering soon, but hopefully ones launching soon are unaffected, or minimally affected.