Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ford just sent me a survey on the Lightning I ordered, and in it they listed the prices of each trim.

Configerations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I was looking at the XLT+ as well.

Point of sale tax credit when

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The big battery is $10k for the pro or $7k for the XLT/Lariat.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

knox_harrington posted:

You guys are going to love the Plug And Socket Museum website

https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl

I get my 400V through the 3 socket and 6 plug on this page
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Swiss_3hd.html

Aw, they don't have the SEMKO 17 plug :smith:

If you wanna talk lovely plugs, this one's gotta rank pretty high up. It's a Swedish design that has unclear origins but has been in use since at least the 1930's. Any sale or installation of these has been prohibited by law since the early 1990's but you still see them every once in a while, and using them isn't illegal. It's for 240-400V two- or three-phase (or 380V back in the day), but was most commonly used for three-phase installations, frequently outdoors (was commonly seen on exterior walls on farmhouses, for example). Variants of it existed that could handle up to 200A 380V three-phase, which is pretty alarming in and of itself. This is an ASEA (now ABB) catalog page from the 1960's:

Contraptions such as this one also existed, in machine shops and the like:

What's so bad about it, you might ask? Well, let's have a look inside:

This is a female connector. If you look carefully you'll see that there are indeed five wires, as is proper for modern three-phase, but the green wire is hooked up to the body of the outlet, and therein lies the rub. The bodies of both the outlet and the plug are metal, and what they did was connect protective grounding through the body of the connectors. If the connector is undamaged this is not a problem, but as these things age, the weather sealing around the cable (where it passes through the metal body) usually starts leaking, moisture gets in (remember these were frequently installed outdoors) and the whole thing starts corroding, and then you usually lose the protective grounding connection (there's usually a small spring-loaded latch that's supposed to make sure there's a good connection but in older plugs the spring wasn't always stainless, so it corrodes too and the latch stops working). That's bad enough, but the real killer is that it's relatively common that these get damaged in such a way that the body of the plug becomes conductive, and if you touch that your muscles lock up, you can't let go and it's goodnight. These things kill people on a somewhat regular basis even to this day.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 17, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TheFluff posted:

It's for 240-400V two- or three-phase (or 380V back in the day), but was most commonly used for three-phase installations, frequently outdoors (was commonly seen on exterior walls on farmhouses, for example). Variants of it existed that could handle up to 200A 380V three-phase, which is pretty alarming in and of itself.

the body of the switch becomes conductive

:stonk:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Aw, they don't have the SEMKO 17 plug :smith:

Variants of it existed that could handle up to 200A 380V three-phase, which is pretty alarming in and of itself.

:staredog:

I have no idea when you would need a connector that big, like wtf are you even doing at that point. I've very rarely seen anything that uses even 125A three-phase in my days of touring rock and roll - it's all 63A IEC 60309 connectors or you just jump up to using discrete conductors with Camlock/Powerlock connectors.

While our adapter box of "probably illegal stuff that will get the job done" (60309 32A->16A, 63A->32A, Perilex -> 60309) did have a Semko 17 to 32A adapter, I never thankfully ever had to use it in anger.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Tesla let the press test the Model S Plaid. The Plaid can hit the numbers Tesla claims on a dragstrip with Drag Mode enabled. On a non-prepared surface, the Plaid seems to lose a tenth or two that keeps it from breaking the 2-second barrier. The Plaid also was able to repeatedly produce those results.

What stuck out to me was that the Plaid did 45-65 in under a second, and 0-100 in the same time that a new Mustang GT gets to 60. The Plaid's 0-100 time is also a second faster than a new 911 Turbo S.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

After an 8 to 15 minute pre-conditioning stage, followed by 9 seconds to get the nose lowered. And subtracting the rollout.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

slamming 0-100 in a new 911 Turbo without warming it up is also a bad idea

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pre-conditioning stage ?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

quote:

No matter the surface, to get the quickest launch from a 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid, you must dive into the car's infotainment system and select Drag Strip mode. Over the next eight to 15 minutes (the time needed varies), the car preconditions the powertrain for hard acceleration, heating or cooling the battery as needed and chilling the motors.

Once you've enabled Drag Strip mode, quickly chirp the tires on the VHT—at Famoso, it was caked on so thick it very nearly pulled our shoes off—by stabbing the throttle to clear any debris from the tires. To engage launch control, push hard on the brake, press the accelerator to the floor, and wait. Over the next nine or so seconds, the Model S' nose drops into the Plaid's "cheetah stance." When the final "launch control ready" message is displayed, firmly press your noggin against the headrest (trust us), release the brake, and hang on.

bawfuls posted:

slamming 0-100 in a new 911 Turbo without warming it up is also a bad idea

What's unclear is will driving around ordinarily get you to the necessary stage of preconditioning as an ICE vehicle would, or do you have to do that every time you're at the drag strip. Since it involves chilling the motors I'm guessing even if you had driven 30 mins to get there you'd still have to do it. It's also unclear if you have to do that before every run.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Don't supercars also have a warmup for their crazymodes?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MomJeans420 posted:

What's unclear is will driving around ordinarily get you to the necessary stage of preconditioning as an ICE vehicle would, or do you have to do that every time you're at the drag strip. Since it involves chilling the motors I'm guessing even if you had driven 30 mins to get there you'd still have to do it. It's also unclear if you have to do that before every run.

I'm watching Rocky Mountain Race Week at present and there's a bunch of road cars (NOT the high end weapons) struggling to put down close to decent times due to heat and not being able to hot lap. So really not sure why you want to make an exception to Tesla for what is in reality a fact for drag racing? Nothing to max launch a Tesla is exceptional or remarkable.

FilthyImp posted:

Don't supercars also have a warmup for their crazymodes?

Yes. One of my regular road cars wont allow launch control unless the driveline and engine are within specific parameters even so it's not just a supercar thing.

Also just on reading on the unprepped surface....

quote:

And if we could have kept going, our data says it's capable of running through the quarter mile in 9.34 seconds at 152.2 mph.

The gap between the Model S' times on prepped and unprepped surfaces is astonishingly close, as just 0.09 second separates them to 60 mph.

ICE cars with that much hp would be struggling to even think about doing times like that on unprepped surfaces consistently.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 18, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Plaids aren’t going to be showing up at drag strips all that often anyway due to being a sub 10s car without the appropriate safety equipment.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
What's the point of dropping 130 large on a car if you can't get a 2 second 0-60 at any random given stoplight, and have to settle for like 2.4 seconds like some sort of Chiron owner.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Plaids aren’t going to be showing up at drag strips all that often anyway due to being a sub 10s car without the appropriate safety equipment.

The number of showroom-new vehicles that are completely unable to run at an NHRA facility astounds me. It’s fantastic.

:allears:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SlowBloke posted:

In my limited knowledge/experience people prefer to invest more to get a decently specced Zoe or leaf or if the issue is size, jump down to twingo or fortwo. Mini electrics or Honda e are super rare here.

Hasn't that been the rub for the e since everyone first saw it? Most people agree the car looks great and is fun to drive, but it is the most expensive car in its class with the worst mileage. If it cost 10,000 USD less everyone would say its the perfect car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Drag strip safety rules esp with the crap cages allowed are 20 years out of date TBH but that's a offtopic aside.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm watching Rocky Mountain Race Week at present and there's a bunch of road cars (NOT the high end weapons) struggling to put down close to decent times due to heat and not being able to hot lap. So really not sure why you want to make an exception to Tesla for what is in reality a fact for drag racing? Nothing to max launch a Tesla is exceptional or remarkable.

There's a pretty big difference between "my car has to be at a minimum coolant and transmission fluid temperature that it will easily hit with a little bit of driving" and "waiting 15 mins to use launch control." Can you drive the car during this time, or do you have to sit around waiting for it? If you're marketing your car as a production vehicle that does 0 to 60 in X, I'd expect it to do that in normal usage. It doesn't matter though as if the car ends up banned from the drag strip then no one who buys one is actually going to be doing 0 to 60 in under 2 seconds.

I don't really care because we're at the limits of tires appropriate for daily driven cars and grips when you're at this much power and at a stop light who cares if it takes you 2.02 or 2.50 seconds to go 0 to 60, but don't act like everyone was expecting a 15 minute preconditioning stage when they heard sub 2 seconds for 0 to 60.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Eh, it's good enough for me. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

There's a pretty big difference between "my car has to be at a minimum coolant and transmission fluid temperature that it will easily hit with a little bit of driving" and "waiting 15 mins to use launch control." Can you drive the car during this time, or do you have to sit around waiting for it? If you're marketing your car as a production vehicle that does 0 to 60 in X, I'd expect it to do that in normal usage. It doesn't matter though as if the car ends up banned from the drag strip then no one who buys one is actually going to be doing 0 to 60 in under 2 seconds.

I cant really think of too many low 9 sec cars that can just line up at a traffic light without some sort of notible prep time. There are supercars that take *signifigant* time and setup to do their best and Ferrari will sell you a car that is slower that needs a team of techs and half an hour to even start it up.

Again there is nothing remarkable going on here, it's a ridiculously fast EV that takes a couple of minutes to go at it's fastest and it needs a track to actually do it too. Nothing unusual, nothing to debate if it didnt have a Tesla badge

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MomJeans420 posted:

There's a pretty big difference between "my car has to be at a minimum coolant and transmission fluid temperature that it will easily hit with a little bit of driving" and "waiting 15 mins to use launch control." Can you drive the car during this time, or do you have to sit around waiting for it?
Doug Demuro (iirc) took one of those performance cars out and showed the steps to activate the Launch Prep on it. It looked to me like a series of Resident Evil Puzzles (insert special REDLINE KEY into special REDLINE SLOT, PRESS AND HOLD LAUNCH MODE, wait for oil to get to temp, etc). So I imagine a lot of them are built that way so some dumbass doesn't jump to lightspeed in front of a school, lose control, and take out half of the 6th grade class.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes. One of my regular road cars wont allow launch control unless the driveline and engine are within specific parameters even so it's not just a supercar thing.

what car and what specific parameters?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think the Demon is probably a little easier to actually use at a drag strip because you can pull up to the line and basically be ready to go once you’ve done the magical incantations, but it does require the powerchiller to have been running for a certain amount of time to reach optimal intake temperature.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That was a cool read and all but I’m very, very stuck on the part where the name of the car is a god drat Spaceballs reference

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Again there is nothing remarkable going on here, it's a ridiculously fast EV that takes a couple of minutes to go at it's fastest and it needs a track to actually do it too. Nothing unusual, nothing to debate if it didnt have a Tesla badge

Is your argument that it's not noteworthy the plaid takes up to a quarter hour (not a couple of mins) to get ready for its promised 0 to 60? We're not talking about a specialized drag car, we're talking about a car that is sold as "the fastest production car." The first reply after I mentioned that was wondering wtf preconditioning is, every article that reviews it mentions the fairly long time, but you think the average car buyer expects that when Musk tweets it does 0 to 60mph in under 2 seconds? It's an insanely fast car even without that, but its reported 0 to 60 comes with a huge asterisk next to it. Similarly, it's touted as going 200mph and yet it can't go 200mph. Tesla is the anti-Porsche in that it has a history of over-promising and under-delivering, so when they come out with a bunch of new claims it's always interesting to see how they play out in real life. If a factory car came with some single shot nitrous or meth injection system I'd also say ok that's a neat parlor trick, but that's not your day to day speed.

FilthyImp posted:

Doug Demuro (iirc) took one of those performance cars out and showed the steps to activate the Launch Prep on it. It looked to me like a series of Resident Evil Puzzles (insert special REDLINE KEY into special REDLINE SLOT, PRESS AND HOLD LAUNCH MODE, wait for oil to get to temp, etc). So I imagine a lot of them are built that way so some dumbass doesn't jump to lightspeed in front of a school, lose control, and take out half of the 6th grade class.

And that's probably a good idea. I'm not looking forward to sharing parking lots with something like the EV Hummer and American drivers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hawkperson posted:

That was a cool read and all but I’m very, very stuck on the part where the name of the car is a god drat Spaceballs reference

Donald loving Trump was elected President of the United States.

We’ve been through the looking glass for a quite a time now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

what car and what specific parameters?

2016 Levorg, launch control needs S# engine mode turned on, will not allow S# mode unless the motor is past 1/3 on the gauge and turns it off above a bit over half on the guage or if the intake sensor detects too high temp, gear selector has to be manual with S# mode enabled , CVT needs to be within the operating temp range, launch control will not engage in any other circumstance. It takes about 6-7 minutes from cold start before it allows S# to be engaged and thence allows launch control - which is further engaged with brake and accelerator depressed. The launch control brings the torque converter to the point of locking, 2500rpm and the turbo boosting 4psi. S# changes the throttle mapping and boost curves

Dont hold it on the launch control control for longer than a few seconds, the CVT will excessively wear and doesnt like hot lapping.

OTOH The *actual* race cars we have will enable launch control at 82C and turn it off at 97C water temp and I think if I remember the programming also take in account wether the engine is pulling timing for any reason (aka if the ECU is doing engine defense) , intake temps, EGT, vehicle speed, gear and we have it set up so it gets switched to be allowed on with handbrake on and not brake, 4500 rpm and 7psi. We should have gearbox temps as a parameter but rally cars can use the transport stages to bring everything up to operating conditions

quote:

Is your argument that it's not noteworthy the plaid takes up to a quarter hour (not a couple of mins) to get ready for its promised 0 to 60?

It's not noteworthy. Nothing to debate if it didnt have a Tesla badge.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 18, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's still a beast of a car to me. I don't really care about it though. Engineering explained was right about the 0-60 time though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm more interested in seeing how well it does at speeds > 80 mph any way. I wonder what's more efficient on the autobahn, it or the Taycan.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hawkperson posted:

If you can think of a better way to sell to 34-49 year-old nerds I'd like to hear it

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

If you can think of a better way to sell to 34-49 year-old nerds I'd like to hear it

Cross-promotion with the Fast and Furious franchise.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

I'll bet they don't even offer it with a gold tartan interior, and that would be the most disappointing thing about the whole car.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Is your argument that it's not noteworthy the plaid takes up to a quarter hour (not a couple of mins) to get ready for its promised 0 to 60? We're not talking about a specialized drag car, we're talking about a car that is sold as "the fastest production car." The first reply after I mentioned that was wondering wtf preconditioning is, every article that reviews it mentions the fairly long time, but you think the average car buyer expects that when Musk tweets it does 0 to 60mph in under 2 seconds? It's an insanely fast car even without that, but its reported 0 to 60 comes with a huge asterisk next to it. Similarly, it's touted as going 200mph and yet it can't go 200mph. Tesla is the anti-Porsche in that it has a history of over-promising and under-delivering, so when they come out with a bunch of new claims it's always interesting to see how they play out in real life. If a factory car came with some single shot nitrous or meth injection system I'd also say ok that's a neat parlor trick, but that's not your day to day speed.

And that's probably a good idea. I'm not looking forward to sharing parking lots with something like the EV Hummer and American drivers.

Below the mid 2 second mark, you leave the area of day to day performance anyway. By the way, this is from a Porsche GT3 manual:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Below the mid 2 second mark, you leave the area of day to day performance anyway. By the way, this is from a Porsche GT3 manual:

I hope you got written authorization from Dr. Ing. h. c. F. Porsche AG to show that! :xd:

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Ola posted:

C7 corvette is similar: places a red ring around the outside of the RPM gauge that effectively lowers the redline while the engine and trans warm up. Takes at least 5-7 minutes of driving at highway speed to get the redline all the way up to normal. Its also not time based its based on lube temps.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

So are you supposed to put it in Plaid mode then cruise around slowly trying to find someone who wants to do a traffic light race? Or send an Outlook appointment?

Also :lol: at people suddenly shocked that a petrol engine needs to warm up before you can thrash it

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I think even without all the voodoo magic you have to do to get the FASTEST ACCELERATION POSSIBLE you’ll still beat just about anything else at a light.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GoutPatrol posted:

Hasn't that been the rub for the e since everyone first saw it? Most people agree the car looks great and is fun to drive, but it is the most expensive car in its class with the worst mileage. If it cost 10,000 USD less everyone would say its the perfect car.

Every car in the Honda e segment is designed at a cost, no fancy video walls that spend most of their operational life doing inpromptu aquariums, no inverters to provide wall plugs to connect appliances in the cabin, and so on. It’s almost as they wanted it to flop by taking every possible wrong choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My favorite feature nobody wants is the video input so you can play games on your ps4 in your e.