Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

One day Indycar is just going to be rejected and / or retired F1 drivers.

the 1985 Indycar season had Roberto Guerrero, Bruno Giacomelli, Alan Jones, Jan Lammers, Roberto Moreno and "Oncle Jacques" Villeneuve making starts. Not to mention all the ex-F1 Indycar stalwarts including Andretti/Fittipaldi, or even Sullivan/Rahal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is Magnussen going to be faster than Jimmie having never driven an Indycar before and never driven the track?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Yes.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

net work error posted:

Is Magnussen going to be faster than Jimmie having never driven an Indycar before and never driven the track?

lmao

lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jimmie Johnson wasn't even good in his last few NASCAR seasons.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the 1985 Indycar season had Roberto Guerrero, Bruno Giacomelli, Alan Jones, Jan Lammers, Roberto Moreno and "Oncle Jacques" Villeneuve making starts. Not to mention all the ex-F1 Indycar stalwarts including Andretti/Fittipaldi, or even Sullivan/Rahal.

I think most forget that Sullivan and Rahal were actually F1 drivers.

There was also F3 washouts like Mansilla, who was surprisingly pretty good but never raced again after.

Frond fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 17, 2021

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Jimmie Johnson wasn't even good in his last few NASCAR seasons.

RA is pretty daunting. I wonder if he will be able to do better than Alfonso Celis Jr.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I watched Long Beach 1998 again (which is an amazing race) and the Ex-F1 guys in that race alone were;

Zanardi
Christian Fittipaldi
Gugelmin
Domenico Schiattarella
Rahal
Mark Blundell
Lehto

and I guess you also can include Michael Andretti. It's been the case for quite some time.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I only realised during the first Detroit race that Marco isn't racing this year. And then I was struggling to remember if he raced last year as well? Is this the first season in a long time that we haven't had an Andretti in a race seat or at least a full time race seat?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

I only realised during the first Detroit race that Marco isn't racing this year. And then I was struggling to remember if he raced last year as well? Is this the first season in a long time that we haven't had an Andretti in a race seat or at least a full time race seat?

Marco raced at Indy, he took a step back from the full season this year. I want to say he’s scheduled for a couple more races but I don’t remember offhand. I know he’s otherwise the pro in a LMP3 in IMSA for some of this season too.

And yes, that would break a decades-long streak of not having an Andretti on an American open wheel grid were Marco to go away completely. End of an era.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
They could get Hinchcliffe to change his name to Andretti in exchange for an extension.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

Marco raced at Indy, he took a step back from the full season this year. I want to say he’s scheduled for a couple more races but I don’t remember offhand. I know he’s otherwise the pro in a LMP3 in IMSA for some of this season too.

And yes, that would break a decades-long streak of not having an Andretti on an American open wheel grid were Marco to go away completely. End of an era.

Ah yes, Forgot about Indy.

I imagine he will probably continue to race the Indy 500 for the next few years.

I still loved that race where he, Michael & Mario all raced.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I still wish the three of them could have raced in a team endurance event.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

I still wish the three of them could have raced in a team endurance event.

As far as I know the only "no" in that plan was Michael.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If Roger Penske can hop into a Porsche RS Spyder, Mario can absolutely huck around a LMP3. Mario and Michael should be Bronze-rated if they pay to get a ranking at this point due to their age, Marco is Gold, Jarett is Silver, lets get them in a LMP3 for Daytona or some poo poo.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If Roger Penske can hop into a Porsche RS Spyder, Mario can absolutely huck around a LMP3. Mario and Michael should be Bronze-rated if they pay to get a ranking at this point due to their age, Marco is Gold, Jarett is Silver, lets get them in a LMP3 for Daytona or some poo poo.

Hell I don't even like Michael/Marco but I would root for that team so bad!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
micheal should do srx instead of marco

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 18, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

As far as I know the only "no" in that plan was Michael.

it sounds like he's the only one who doesn't have the bug right now, yeah. I would love to see Mario/Michael/Marco/Jarrett to take a LMDH (especially if Andretti Autosport run one of those in IMSA) to the enduros, especially if they can also work Le Mans in somehow.

I'd also love to see Bob and Graham Rahal share a BMW LMDH, which seems like it could also be a possibility from a program standpoint too.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fun facts: bobby rahal just got bumped down to bronze because of his age so he could run a father son lmp3 with graham as well

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Custard Undies posted:

You can still see him running the new SRX series because they didn't have enough actual superstars to run the series I guess, so they went with the same thing that has always gets Marco a seat, the last name. :smug:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Marco driving only Indy saves them a fortune in carbon fibre

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Engines fired for Road America, we are in the Discord. Vroomvrooms.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
LOL Jimmie Johnson spins off while there is a block of commercials for Carvana showing off his racing skills. Too bad they didn't have it split screen for that.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I get that this is like Jimmie's dream or some poo poo, but he really doesn't belong behind the wheel of an Indycar. It's just sad to watch him flail about and fail at every track. My father is a big NASCAR fan and doesn't really follow Indycar, so when we saw Jimmie at the Indy Grand Prix he asked me "Has he been doing this bad all season?" and I told him that it was his best showing yet. We both just shook our heads.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
It's astonishing that this is the same Jimmie Johnson who won 7 cup series titles and could do no wrong. 'no experience in an open wheeler' only goes so far when you see the endless list of other drivers who have come in and are at worst competent, but even now we have Scott McLaughlin who has about the same time in an open cockpit car as Jimmie.

Jimmie really is like some old CEO who bought a race car and joined the first series he liked the look of.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
turns out racing a sprint car on dirt is not actually good prep for indycar

oh poo poo someone tell tony george

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
He should do an oval

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's cool how he left Nascar and absolutely nobody gave a poo poo

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I like that there are 25 cars, so he can stay :)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Bringing the car count up at the cost of the backmarkers being completely uncompetitive is how you get NASCAR. If an entry doesn't have the racing ability or the resources to run competitively, they don't really belong in the series imo. Try stepping down the ladder to Indy Lights or something instead. The best other drivers can say about JJ is that he gets the gently caress out of the way when being lapped (though he looked to hold a few people up today), and that's just sad. Dalton Kellet is another example, the dude clearly doesn't have the ability required to achieve results at the top level, but here he is, several laps down every raceday in a Foyt entry. Hell, Max Chilton got a top 10 today and regularly runs in the top 15 for Carlin, and while he isn't widely considered to be very good, he makes Kellet look like a chump.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

jimmie is cool and if he wrecks they should give him another car to cause more yellows in

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i have to assume indy is banking on jimmie putting a lot of otherwise uninterested eyeballs on the sport too, given the marketing push

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jimmie has got to be great for the sponsors. They are getting air time almost every week as he spins his car around.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Reynold posted:

Bringing the car count up at the cost of the backmarkers being completely uncompetitive is how you get NASCAR. If an entry doesn't have the racing ability or the resources to run competitively, they don't really belong in the series imo. Try stepping down the ladder to Indy Lights or something instead. The best other drivers can say about JJ is that he gets the gently caress out of the way when being lapped (though he looked to hold a few people up today), and that's just sad. Dalton Kellet is another example, the dude clearly doesn't have the ability required to achieve results at the top level, but here he is, several laps down every raceday in a Foyt entry. Hell, Max Chilton got a top 10 today and regularly runs in the top 15 for Carlin, and while he isn't widely considered to be very good, he makes Kellet look like a chump.

During the "good old days" of the pre-split 1990s, half the field would be plucking around in 5 year old chassis hoping for 28th, so I don't think that's what made NASCAR bad.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Uhhh yeah. Go actually watch, like, pre 1992 CART races. The lower field quality is atrocious.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This season has been fantastic so far. Quality field, solid racing, fierce rookies showing people what they’ve got and winning, so many different winners, a tight championship race, and lots of good drama and storylines throughout, especially newgarden’s continued incredibly bad luck. The 500 alone with Helio winning was just the cherry on top of a great race.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
imagine how awful this field would look if they werent all basically running spec equipment and instead you had a bunch of shitters running a 3 year old Lola with a clapped out Cosworth.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Part of me misses the variety in the cars themselves, but the racing is so much better that I don't really care.

What's amazing about Penske still being winless is that unlike 1999, they've been competitive. The last three races alone got thrown away at the very end by failures / strategy.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

IOwnCalculus posted:

Part of me misses the variety in the cars themselves, but the racing is so much better that I don't really care.

What's amazing about Penske still being winless is that unlike 1999, they've been competitive. The last three races alone got thrown away at the very end by failures / strategy.

Well without development there is really no reason to run ovals imo. They should at least reduce the power by another 200 hp. It's a fine series then, like F2 or Super Formula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jimmie won 7 titles because his crew chief was the best cheater in the garage.