Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

what are yall gonna spend your £1.22 on?

it's up to £1.22 and seeing as i dont buy australian wine, swimwear or confectionary I won't be getting anything

although i am thinking of opening a business selling "yorkhire tea" so I might make some money back that way

https://twitter.com/tradegovuk/status/1404832048943144965

XMNN has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's per household too so only about 60p for me

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1405706267088261120?s=19

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yorkshire tea is just a brand of tea??

tea... quintessentially british!!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
still laughing at that twitter gif.

like australia isn't known for vegemite... we also export a fair bit of oranges and strawberries... i guess you guys can turn it into jam with secret british know-how and sell it back to us for a tidy profit???

edit: also going to be very surprised about the demand for british cheese considering our dairy industry

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’d like some Lancashire cheese sent over to Aus, I miss that.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

crepeface posted:

still laughing at that twitter gif.

like australia isn't known for vegemite... we also export a fair bit of oranges and strawberries... i guess you guys can turn it into jam with secret british know-how and sell it back to us for a tidy profit???

edit: also going to be very surprised about the demand for british cheese considering our dairy industry

yeah but do you have irnbru??

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lancashire is not that uncommon here, pretty sure some is made in tasmania at least

edit: never even heard of irn bru

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

crepeface posted:

lancashire is not that uncommon here, pretty sure some is made in tasmania at least

Never seen it for sale in Sydney any place I've looked, I'll keep an eye out and maybe it'll turn up.

Irn bru is a Scottish fizzy drink (it's made from girders!), it's bright orange and has enough sugar in it to give you diabetes with one sip.
Australians will love it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Irn Bru tastes like you dissolved a nail in fizzy sugar.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

crepeface posted:

lol I didn't see the post above mine and couldn't work out why on earth anyone outside of Scotland was drinking irn bru, let alone making it

it's some weird tasting (vanilla? banana? idk) fluorescent orange soft drink

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

what are yall gonna spend your £1.22 on?

sex arse timeshare

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

According to wikipedia it's Labour's worst performance in a by-election since 1918: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_by-election_records#Major_parties

Might actually be their worst ever result in a parliamentary election. The article on that 1997 Winchester election says it's Labour's worst ever result and this one is worse than that.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Helith posted:

Never seen it for sale in Sydney any place I've looked, I'll keep an eye out and maybe it'll turn up.

Irn bru is a Scottish fizzy drink (it's made from girders!), it's bright orange and has enough sugar in it to give you diabetes with one sip.
Australians will love it

They reduced the amount of sugar in it after the government introduced an increased tax rate for high-sugar soft drinks. It now has that unpleasant artificial sweetener aftertaste.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

endlessmonotony posted:

Irn Bru tastes like you dissolved a nail in fizzy sugar.
I thought the one I tried had gone bad, but apparently not!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

They reduced the amount of sugar in it after the government introduced an increased tax rate for high-sugar soft drinks. It now has that unpleasant artificial sweetener aftertaste.

this didn't get fixed by brexit!?! what good is breaking free of the shackles of the tyranny of brussels if you can't even get a proper irn bru!?!?!

(does irn bru mix well with any spirits?)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

vodka I guess because basically everything mixes well with vodka

you used to be able to get irn bru wkd

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You can make an Iron Monkey by mixing it with whisky.
I’d recommend a cheap blended whisky though, not a good scotch lol

Helith has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Jun 18, 2021

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/ProfImogenTyler/status/1405767915077439493

Strange how the only person in British politics who's allowed to say this is the government's own chief medical officer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought the one I tried had gone bad, but apparently not!

Please end this slur against my nation's finest culinary creation. Even better than whisky.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My uncle made millions importing from the U.K. to Australia lol

It was all tins of beans with the pound price tag on it and stuff, in the end he worked out that goats and the growing Chinese community was where the money was at and switched.

Australia a country traditionally not known for it’s ease of import and exports was certainly A Choice.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol I didn't even know there was a by election I guess because everyone assumed it was a safe Tory victory so it barely made the news until the result

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The public learned nothing from cleggmania and the lib Dems are the sensible choice again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The Tories are a far right party now and lol at voting for labour so it's not that surprising

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
This is just jumping the shark now, come on

https://twitter.com/tom_usher_/status/1405823829088387073/photo/1

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anyone else remember the whole of UK journalism searching their collective souls for months about whether the UK could have its own Trump.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1405831960220602370

:ironicat:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/alexnunns/status/1405809375508373504?s=20

KEITH

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

https://twitter.com/vampiretraums/status/1405849462929596416?s=21

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Would it have killed 23 Labour members to sit this one out? It's funny already, but with a bit more effort it could have been funnier.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

one step closer to trolling starmer into legally changing his name lmao

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

lmao if Gorgeous George pulls it off

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still reckon it's inevitable that he can't give a straight answer to 'what is your name?'

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

PawParole posted:

lmao if Gorgeous George pulls it off

is wearing fedoras allowed in parliament?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Doctor Jeep posted:

is wearing fedoras allowed in parliament?

No but they have special magic hats you have to wear while invoking arcane parliamentary procedures
(They have two of these magic hats, supposedly opera hats that are tailored to fit no one)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Renfield posted:

No but they have special magic hats you have to wear while invoking arcane parliamentary procedures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDgago5bXt0

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

dispatch_async posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnelieseDodds/status/1405414952630996998

Britain in the world? Where are we at the moment then?

from the plain meaning of her words,

Britain is lost in a liminal space of ecological collapse and industrial decay
its people toil in meaningless drudgery amonst collapsing social services and violent, chaotic atomized communities
where families are spit on by child free dogmatists

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I was wondering if yday was the worst ever Labour election result, and I was helpfully pointed towards one that was worse;

Maxton's a good lad and worthy of his own derail but I'd like to point out the ILP, who splintered from Labour in 31, were an explicitly marxist faction inside Labour before collapsing the government in response to Macdonald's budget cuts. This triggered the National Government of 31-45. During that time, the government ran as The National Government Party, with Labour and ILP as the opposition.

So, unless anyone has found any other worse results, then this is the second worst all time result for the labour party. The only time they got their poo poo pushed in any worse than yesterday was when, after supporting a ludicrously unpopular austerity that devastated the party for 15 years, they got dumpstered by a Red Clydeside communist under the banner of the ILP.

The ILP was founded by committed marxist and TU activist Keith Hardie.

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
Might be a dumb question but I couldn't find poo poo. Anyone know if the Download Festival Pilot thing is being shown or streamed anywhere? Would be real nice to be able to see that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1405943132391448580?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008