Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol a car has collided head-on with a prisoner transport truck on my street in what is clearly an attempt to spring some prisoners. I have never seen so many police in all my life

the police are very busy and maybe you'll get a crime number next week.

but if something exciting happens everyone get your blue lights on and be on it like flies on poo poo.

Police code 56 means criminal damage. you might get a response if its something funny they can take a selfie infront of i suppose. And a 10-56 is drunk pedestrian which... I dunno why thats even a code? so what?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1405535650913284097

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have never seen so many police stations in my life as I have on the supertram from halfway to the arena. Like Sheffield is not a crime ridden city at all and the only thing I can think is that they are hives for football policemen.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
labour slugging it out across the country with reform UK, CISTA, the official monster raving loony party, bald brummies and the anglican christian democrats to retain their deposits

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

crispix posted:

it'll be a fun general election if labour's national vote share is labour membership + ~3% :laugh:

Hey, it'd be fun just to find out Labour's current membership :newdanger:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I have never seen so many police stations in my life as I have on the supertram from halfway to the arena. Like Sheffield is not a crime ridden city at all and the only thing I can think is that they are hives for football policemen.

I lived in a house in sheffield for a year and was burgled three times and the fort knox door the police increasingly upgraded damaged at least a further couple of times.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

Starmer

Better

Faster

Stonger
:colbert: show yourself coward

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Whilst I don't entirely disagree, both those other places you mention are within the m25 unlike amersham which is around three times further from the centre of london as the crow flies than finchley. I used to live in the area, in a village and it felt rural enough. I dont think it should be becoming more london.

It's not like anyone was proposing dumping Canary Wharf 2 - Canary Wharf Harder on Chalfont St. Latimer*, they were proposing the exact same dull semis as the entire area already has, but infilling some of the gaps left when the NIMBYs kicked off almost a century ago. This isn't even one of those situations where they're dropping a massive development on a small village, it's literally just expanding the existing towns a little bit at exactly the same density.

I also absolutely 100% *guarantee* that every single person screaming about how they don't want "London problems" in their little towns a) actually mean brown people and b) worked their entire lives in London and are now retired. gently caress em.

(Also as I look at a planning proposal for a 59-storey residential tower to go up on a site a few hundred yards from me, that currently has 12 small family homes on it, I'm feeling even less than my usual amount of sympathy for people who think their lives are going to be loving ruined by a couple of shitbox "executive" homes going up 2 miles away)

* Well *I'm* proposing that, or at a pinch just ripping up the existing one and dropping it there, but luckily for everyone I'm not in charge of such things.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

I have some good and happy urban development news. They are unfucking what beeching did to Derbyshire and the first stage is to turn the Chesterfield to Sheffield freight line (goes via barrow hill, renishaw and Crystal peaks) back into a branch line, it’s a “holy poo poo it’s actually happening” thing with stations being built and everything.

This is absolutely fantastic and a demonstration of a really easily-sold green policy that actually benefits everyone (even the NIMBYs) and it's infuriating that nobody above a local political level is ever talking about it.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My gas boiler is OK but it's old enough that it will need to be replaced in a few years' time, probably just as the ban on gas boilers in new builds comes into effect. It seems like it will be a good opportunity to switch to an environementally-friendlier electric system, but the thought of having electric heating depresses me. Everywhere I ever rented had electric heating and it is miserable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they're going to have to half-arse it and switch the gas network over to a combination of biogas and hydrogen rather than ban gas heating outright, at least until the 2050s.

Heatpumps for all won't become practical until residential electrical supplies become a lot beefier. District heating won't become practical until they give up on low density plant-a-suburb developments.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It does look a lot from the bi-election results that basically all the labour voters faced with the choice of a either lib-dem or a lib-dem pretending he was the leader of the labour party just decided to go with lib-dem classic.

Tories just didn't turn out (possibly because no one told them there was an election on)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lady Demelza posted:

My gas boiler is OK but it's old enough that it will need to be replaced in a few years' time, probably just as the ban on gas boilers in new builds comes into effect. It seems like it will be a good opportunity to switch to an environementally-friendlier electric system, but the thought of having electric heating depresses me. Everywhere I ever rented had electric heating and it is miserable.

I am in the process of having my oil boiler ripped out and replaced with an air source heat pump. Hope it works as it means all new radiators and pipework.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I also absolutely 100% *guarantee* that every single person screaming about how they don't want "London problems" in their little towns a) actually mean brown people and b) worked their entire lives in London and are now retired. gently caress em.

Well neither of those applied to me so I think your guarantee is of little value.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Aramoro posted:

I am in the process of having my oil boiler ripped out and replaced with an air source heat pump. Hope it works as it means all new radiators and pipework.

I have one in my current rented house and it... isn't very good. I have installed one previously in a newly converted barn where I could make a relatively good job of insulating and install underfloor heating and its great. But retrofitted to this shitbox it is expensive and everyone is always cold when er... its cold.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well neither of those applied to me so I think your guarantee is of little value.

Did you go on spittle-flecked rants about overdevelopment (and then vote Lib Dem)?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

While we're on utilities, does anyone know about smart meters? We are getting hammered with "invitations" to upgrade but our gas and electric meters are some distance apart, with three walls and a room inbetween them. I've heard horror stories of people with a similar setup finding only one or the other is connected to the smart meter. I am now up to four "we'll get back to you on that" from my supplier and I am really not keen on calling them again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Does anyone have any good news sources for Northern Ireland? I understand from Twitter shitposts that the new leader of the DUP has immediately split his party but can't find any actual news sources for it so I can understand what's going on.

Sure, here you go.

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1405596318781919235?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aramoro posted:

My big worry with those is that they work less well the colder that it is outside, to the point where (with the current UK National Grid) you're burning more gas than you would with a condensing boiler to get low grade background heat.

Which isn't to say I'm against them, it seems they'd work great for most of spring and autumn, it's just that you might want something on top for a few weeks in the midwinter.

Also British housing insulation is bad. You really want solid insulation if you're going for phase-change compressor heating/cooling. I'm sure the free market will sort that one out though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Did you go on spittle-flecked rants about overdevelopment (and then vote Lib Dem)?

I assumed that was you summarising my statement that

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dont think it should be becoming more london.

But I guess you're just ranting about some vaguely imagined person. OK yeah theyre probably bad people.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

fatelvis posted:

I loved those games.

Was always really poo poo at them, but the artwork and animation was just lovely to look at.

There’s something coming out which may be of interest to you then:

https://youtu.be/DqF0KLsaf6U

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My parents replaced their oil burning boiler with an air source heat pump. It has worked well they say, though the radiators had to be replaced with higher efficiency ones made for lower temps.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This seems like far too many Labour members for the area? Unless I slept on the hotbed of union activity, Great Missenden?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I have one in my current rented house and it... isn't very good. I have installed one previously in a newly converted barn where I could make a relatively good job of insulating and install underfloor heating and its great. But retrofitted to this shitbox it is expensive and everyone is always cold when er... its cold.

The issue we have here is that we can't have gas so the only alternative is an oil boiler really, we don't have the storage for a biofuel or pellet boiler. We run our house quite cool anyway and we have a wood burning stove for when it's cold so mostly it's about hot water for us. Once the house gets warm it's fine with 1m thick stone walls, the problem is getting it warm. We'll see how it goes, Scottish government are paying for half of it anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Also British housing insulation is bad. You really want solid insulation if you're going for phase-change compressor heating/cooling. I'm sure the free market will sort that one out though.

Reminds me of that story when scandinavian companies started selling heat pumps to british customers, but their heat pumps weren't adequate to heat their houses enough and they got lots of complaints, despite being designed to be able to heat a typical home in northern sweden.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/beckettunite/status/1405830365844066305?s=21

Beckett has officially dropped out of the Unite leadership race to ensure a unified left vote. I would assume that Graham will be swiftly following him.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

My parents replaced their oil burning boiler with an air source heat pump. It has worked well they say, though the radiators had to be replaced with higher efficiency ones made for lower temps.

Yeah and with that you need 1cm pipework not microbore. A lot of folk have problems because they install a heat pump on microbore pipework and it does not work.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

forkboy84 posted:

This seems like far too many Labour members for the area? Unless I slept on the hotbed of union activity, Great Missenden?

Every upper middle class area has a working class estate or two hidden out of view - you can’t expect Belinda and Saffron to clean their own houses or work in Tesco’s themselves would you? that would be simply inhumane.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/beckettunite/status/1405830365844066305?s=21

Beckett has officially dropped out of the Unite leadership race to ensure a unified left vote. I would assume that Graham will be swiftly following him.

Too bad. That Turner character has said some extremely questionable poo poo fairly recently. No idea why people like Owen Jones are blind drunk on him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Real Cool Catfish posted:

There’s something coming out which may be of interest to you then:

https://youtu.be/DqF0KLsaf6U
:bisonyes:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

TheRat posted:

Too bad. That Turner character has said some extremely questionable poo poo fairly recently. No idea why people like Owen Jones are blind drunk on him.

Too many people who have made studies of the poor speaking on behalf of the poor imo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Every upper middle class area has a working class estate or two hidden out of view - you can’t expect Belinda and Saffron to clean their own houses or work in Tesco’s themselves would you? that would be simply inhumane.

Aye, but it's one thing to vote Labour & another to actually be a dues paying member. That's weirdo politics obsessive behaviour.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

forkboy84 posted:

That was my reaction too: heard nothing about it happening, didn't know the seat, must be a council, but why are people on twitter quite excited? oh OH!

I am so ashamed

Far more ashamed than any of the Labour shadow cabinet will be about today's result.

* Boiler Chat - I learned how to represurise a combi boiler yesterday purely to avoid the ballache of contacting the landlord and having some plumber come and do it. Now I feel like a survivalist.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TheRat posted:

we must unite the left and also people who arent the left and also they have to be in charge

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Aramoro posted:

I was told they work best on underfloor heating, which is great for me because that’s what I have downstairs.

Are you getting rid of the boiler completely? I intend to keep mine for emergencies.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Sanford posted:

While we're on utilities, does anyone know about smart meters? We are getting hammered with "invitations" to upgrade but our gas and electric meters are some distance apart, with three walls and a room inbetween them. I've heard horror stories of people with a similar setup finding only one or the other is connected to the smart meter. I am now up to four "we'll get back to you on that" from my supplier and I am really not keen on calling them again.

The ‘smart’ bit replaces [part of?] your existing meter. The bit you’re thinking of is probably the display that shows your consumption and - assuming it can connect to the meters and you supplier - the cost.

If you change suppliers then the display is a bit useless unless you’re used to thinking in terms of kW/h rather than £££s. I genuinely don’t even know if mine is even plugged in.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol a car has collided head-on with a prisoner transport truck on my street in what is clearly an attempt to spring some prisoners. I have never seen so many police in all my life

what's it like living in Line of Duty

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

we must unite the left and also people who arent the left and also they have to be in charge

Leaded petrol isn't enough to explain this much brain damage. Unwelcome guest graham must have been deepthroating old lead water pipes. for decades

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

TheRat posted:

Otoh, Tom Watson is on Twitter calling it a 'shoddy deal' and lamenting that the union members deserve better, so perhaps it's not such a bad thing after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

No one thinks Steve Turner is the second coming of Christ, but he won the most nominations, and he also won the backing of Unite’s internal Left faction. He has plenty of decent left-wing credentials, and was the pretty obvious option for a left unity candidate once Coyne got on the ballot. Thank loving god Beckett has stood down.