Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Shinjobi posted:

I see HIAC and just think HVAC cause I think my brain is broken

Where is Slapjack

I think Slapjack had been on Main Event occasionally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao why was tna doing traveling house shows

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I read this in Bryan Alvarez’ voice.

dou. DROP.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They just needed to go on the road!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they used to do 12 ppvs a year too. theyve always copied a successful wrestling promotion without the success.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

going from the memory banks, feel free to correct:
TNA had been doing house shows intermittently with assists from local promotions(Hermie Sadler stuff) ever since its inception
After they got the spike deal, they tried another house show in either Flint or Detroit, which I believe was co-promoted with ICP's wrestling group. It did pretty good gate and merch.
At this point the only thing TNA could do reliably was stunt booking, which led to their eventual downfall from spike(on top of the russo stuff)
also TNA used a smaller version of the 6 sided ring so it looked ridiculous
they also upcharged on return dates. 1st row for the Arena went from $50 to $250
their live touring was abysmal because they trained their fans to fish for comps
I think their last house show did like 50 paid. maybe 250 total.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

coconono posted:

going from the memory banks, feel free to correct:
TNA had been doing house shows intermittently with assists from local promotions(Hermie Sadler stuff) ever since its inception
After they got the spike deal, they tried another house show in either Flint or Detroit, which I believe was co-promoted with ICP's wrestling group. It did pretty good gate and merch.
At this point the only thing TNA could do reliably was stunt booking, which led to their eventual downfall from spike(on top of the russo stuff)
also TNA used a smaller version of the 6 sided ring so it looked ridiculous
they also upcharged on return dates. 1st row for the Arena went from $50 to $250
their live touring was abysmal because they trained their fans to fish for comps
I think their last house show did like 50 paid. maybe 250 total.

There was also a brief period where they would set up the ring on minor-league baseball fields for shows, which was exactly as sad as you might expect.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

There was also a brief period where they would set up the ring on minor-league baseball fields for shows, which was exactly as sad as you might expect.

Wasn’t that GFW?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

skaboomizzy posted:

oh yeah I forgot about the sold shows that no one went to.

I think they even had a couch for the VIP fans(aka money marks) could sit on. It was gross looking.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Astro7x posted:

I don't know how you would advertise a free HIAC match on TV, do a gently caress finish, and expect THAT to motivate people to pay money to watch the exact same match on PPV where nothing would be different.

Do they really care about getting views on PPVs anymore? The money people pay to watch them doesn't go to WWE.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

explosivo posted:

I completely believe WWE is dumb and desperate enough to just put the cell on TV on a Friday, 100%.

Honestly, is it that dumb? All their revenue comes from TV deals, this isn't the 1990s anymore, PPV isn't king. (Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this'll be disastrously bad, but the idea in isolation isn't inherently terrible)

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because at a time those were (sort of) profitable not necessarily due to how many people attended the show, but how much additional money they made on merch and stuff. I remember an old episode of B&V where they talked about attending a show near Seattle in 2009 and mentioned how much of a carny Borash and West were being in getting people to stand in line for "exlusive photos with Team 3-D" or something at $20 per picture and around 200 people lining up for that opportunity.

That, and also mentioning just how drat much better the house shows were than Impact because the guys and gals were actually allowed to just wrestle rather than focus on stupid storyline BS.

Of course as the entire product got worse, house show gates also got way worse and worse and soon we got all those empty arena shots that WWE would then steal a couple years later.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

Honestly, is it that dumb? All their revenue comes from TV deals, this isn't the 1990s anymore, PPV isn't king. (Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this'll be disastrously bad, but the idea in isolation isn't inherently terrible)

its that dumb to do this on a one day build, yes

the last time they hotshotted a big main event on smackdown, roman vs bryan title vs career, they still went under 2 million

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Apparently USA/NBCU is actually pissed that they're giving that match away on Smackdown (and NBCU is their primary partner) so it may be dumb.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

forkboy84 posted:

The idea that wrestling was built on is “this smaller match sets up a big match, that people will pay to see.” It’s been that way since 100 years ago, when a masked man sat in the front row of Madison Square Garden and demanded to wrestle. He bitched and moaned for three days and the story made it into the newspaper, then he wrestled and everyone paid to see it.

“Here’s an interesting thing that will happen this week that might not matter next week!” Goes against the idea of episodic television and was the decline of WCW, which was the second biggest wrestling company in the world.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Astro7x posted:

I don't know how you would advertise a free HIAC match on TV, do a gently caress finish, and expect THAT to motivate people to pay money to watch the exact same match on PPV where nothing would be different.

Maybe the PPV will feature the first ever Hell in the Cell in a Cell match where the Cell is enclosed in a bigger cell to prevent people from breaking into the main cell.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

they've gotta be running out of young women whose dream it is to appear at wrestlemania*

*while being named like Chewbecca or Humpback Gail

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Maybe the PPV will feature the first ever Hell in the Cell in a Cell match where the Cell is enclosed in a bigger cell to prevent people from breaking into the main cell.

Too bad they lost Mark Henry to AEW so he can't come out and break a chain with his bare hands.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
According to Cagematch, TNA started running house shows in 2006, and ran 14 of them that year.

They ran an additional 19 in 2007, then went [Monster's] balls out in 2008 with 64, 69 in 2009, 85 in 2010, 91 in 2011, and 89 in 2012.

From there they started dwindling, until 2015 when they only ran five in the fall, and none in 2016. They did two house shows in 2017 under the GFW name at a minor league baseball stadium in the narrow window where they were going to rebrand with Jeff Jarrett's IP, and haven't run any since.

I remember there was a period, not sure when, where people were saying that TNA house shows were actually pretty great, because if you just let their roster wrestle without a bunch of dumb overbooking they're actually pretty great.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I wonder if they’ll ever replace the horrible red cell back to the normal one that isn’t impossible to see through.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Karma Tornado posted:

they've gotta be running out of young women whose dream it is to appear at wrestlemania*

*while being named like Chewbecca or Humpback Gail

It really depends on the landscape in 5-10 years time. Women especially gravitate towards WWE because the money's there. None of the women's only companies globally offer anywhere near the same amount of money.

What's changing the game for women outside of the WWE system are the sideline income stuff like being an influencer(paid corporate shill) or producing their own content through twitch/onlyfans/patreon/youtube/etc.

WWE clamping down on that stuff and not offering an alternative(they fired the division that was going to manage all the side stuff) is the wait and see part. I personally think the sideline money is going to become more and more important, particularly for indie wrestlers(male and female) because there's absolutely zero income protections working indies or show tapings for D tier cable channels. Should those lines mature into something more viable than what WWE offers(after you do all the adding and subbing it comes out to about $45k/yr for guys and $35k/yr for women), you will definitely see the shift.

Sometimes its not about The Dream, sometimes its about making rent and taking care of your kids.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dacap posted:

I wonder if they’ll ever replace the horrible red cell back to the normal one that isn’t impossible to see through.

it's on Smackdown so they're gonna replace it with a blue cell and blue lights

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It may be because of my colorblindness, but I literally cannot see anything going on in the red cage/cell/chamber. The color just bleeds everywhere.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Golden Bee posted:

The idea that wrestling was built on is “this smaller match sets up a big match, that people will pay to see.” It’s been that way since 100 years ago, when a masked man sat in the front row of Madison Square Garden and demanded to wrestle. He bitched and moaned for three days and the story made it into the newspaper, then he wrestled and everyone paid to see it.

“Here’s an interesting thing that will happen this week that might not matter next week!” Goes against the idea of episodic television and was the decline of WCW, which was the second biggest wrestling company in the world.

Yeah, I don't care about PPV buys. I care about narrative, and the devaluation of PPV as these narrative climaxes is like if you teach people not to care about the season finale of your show.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It may be because of my colorblindness, but I literally cannot see anything going on in the red cage/cell/chamber. The color just bleeds everywhere.

it's hideous without the colorblindness too

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's what it looks like in Hell buddy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Do they really care about getting views on PPVs anymore? The money people pay to watch them doesn't go to WWE.

I mean... these contracts renew, so sure, they should care. But they don't.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Douwop

Doudrop

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC9-TUZSjoQ

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wish there was a wrestling company with lots of money that said "you know what we need, a large woman with a wee scottish voice to brutalize all the instragram honeys" and that's the extent of the gimmick.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Re-debut her as Cherry with Ducey and domino. Don’t acknowledge that any time has passed since 2006

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Many were left surprised when WWE inexplicably moved Roman Reigns vs. Rey Mysterio from the Hell in a Cell PPV. When asking why this happened, we didn't get much of an answer, but heard some notes about the constantly changing creative process.

As of Friday morning, we were told and confirmed by WWE staff that Reigns vs. Mysterio was meant to be straight up, no frills, no goofy finish, and was not scheduled to be "run back" at Hell in a Cell. In its place, Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn in Hell in a Cell was pitched and seemed to be set for the show, but that was also changed by early Friday afternoon. As of now, we don't know where things stand on either of those situations.

However, we have been told the red Hell in a Cell structure is hanging up at the Thunderdome as of 3 PM EST.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

thanks nick great company you're running here

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

WWE proudly presents: making GBS threads the Bed, while turning a Profit"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

There was a time Owens v Zayn in a cell would’ve been a dream match

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/usa-network-is-very-unhappy-about-the-hell-in-a-cell-match-announced-for-smackdown-on-fox/

quote:

Zarian said, “I can tell you for a fact that USA Network is very unhappy that the Hell in a Cell match is happening on SmackDown. I’m not gonna say they are fuming but they are very unhappy about it.”

Lol

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

someone threw a coffee cup on the USA/WWE planning conference call

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Big Dave about it:

Wrestling Observer Newsletter posted:

Roman Reigns was to defend the Universal title against Rey Mysterio, with the idea of Rey getting revenge for what Reigns did to Dominik last week (even though Dominik was back and fine on television seven days later). Then, on 6/17, it was announced the match was taken off the PPV and being moved to the 6/18 Smackdown show. As far as what happened, there’s no involved reason that made any sense. The word we were told is that you can’t describe why, there were just a bunch of discussions on Thursday and the discussions ended up with “Let’s do it on Smackdown.”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I wen to a TNA house show in like 2007. I had just gotten out of the military and I had a sign with me that said "Air Force loves Kurt Angle". JB came over to talk to me, asked if I was a veteran and I told him I was. So JB was like "ok during intermission we are going to have you come into the ring, put you over, etc" About 15 minutes into the show I tore a gigantic loving hole in the back of my pants jumping up to cheer like Eric Young or something I had an undershirt on so I took my shirt off and tied it around my waste. Getting into the ring was loving terrifying because I was worried about literally showing my rear end to half the arena. Christian came out for the main even and cut a promo on me about how it was disrespectful to cheer for the US military when the Canadian military was much better (or something like that). After the show was over Kurt Angle did a picture with the TNA title and the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. He took a picture with me and my girlfriend at the time and let me hold the IWGP title. That is my TNA house show story that nobody cares about.

Germansimp posted:

Because at a time those were (sort of) profitable not necessarily due to how many people attended the show, but how much additional money they made on merch and stuff. I remember an old episode of B&V where they talked about attending a show near Seattle in 2009 and mentioned how much of a carny Borash and West were being in getting people to stand in line for "exlusive photos with Team 3-D" or something at $20 per picture and around 200 people lining up for that opportunity.

That, and also mentioning just how drat much better the house shows were than Impact because the guys and gals were actually allowed to just wrestle rather than focus on stupid storyline BS.

Of course as the entire product got worse, house show gates also got way worse and worse and soon we got all those empty arena shots that WWE would then steal a couple years later.

I can confirm that this was the case at the show I went to. Pictures with Angle were $20 each and at least 100 people did it.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 18, 2021