Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'd much rather the CIA spend their budget on leftwing history podcasts than most other things they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Necrothatcher posted:

I'd much rather the CIA spend their budget on leftwing history podcasts than most other things they do.

Notable people who support actually leftwing causes, the cia and the us state department more broadly. Come on.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Josh Christ posted:

He worked/works for Bellingcat, a major funder of which is the national endowment for democracy, which is a known cia cutout.

Ah. The ol’ “this person used to work with people who got money from a shell of a shell of a government agency, so they’re backed by that agency” logic. Bellingcat is also a goon-founded project (Brown Moses), so it’s just as pertinent to say their revelations about Syria were entirely supported by Big Mangosteen.

Big Mangosteen? Brown Moses? The English alphabet is based on Latin script, which spread via violent colonialism? The SomethingAwful forums are directly responsible for the genocide of indigenous people? :tinfoil:

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Busket Posket posted:

Ah. The ol’ “this person used to work with people who got money from a shell of a shell of a government agency, so they’re backed by that agency” logic.

That's what receiving money through a front company means, yes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Josh Christ posted:

Notable people who support actually leftwing causes, the cia and the us state department more broadly. Come on.

Can I still like Jackson Pollock?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Busket Posket posted:

Bellingcat is also a goon-founded project (Brown Moses), so it’s just as pertinent to say their revelations about Syria were entirely supported by Big Mangosteen.

No ethical posting under capitalism.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Josh Christ posted:

That's what receiving money through a front company means, yes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Busket Posket posted:

Ah. The ol’ “this person used to work with people who got money from a shell of a shell of a government agency, so they’re backed by that agency” logic. Bellingcat is also a goon-founded project (Brown Moses), so it’s just as pertinent to say their revelations about Syria were entirely supported by Big Mangosteen.

Big Mangosteen? Brown Moses? The English alphabet is based on Latin script, which spread via violent colonialism? The SomethingAwful forums are directly responsible for the genocide of indigenous people? :tinfoil:

This forum has been behind a LOT of the internet culture yet has maintained a relatively low profile in the mainstream. It has spawned the most influential hate sites on the internet today, and several highly successful doxing groups. The site also has been involved in so many things that could be considered an OP.

I just want to shitpost but they are listening.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wasabi the J posted:

This forum has been behind a LOT of the internet culture yet has maintained a relatively low profile in the mainstream. It has spawned the most influential hate sites on the internet today, and several highly successful doxing groups. The site also has been involved in so many things that could be considered an OP.

I just want to shitpost but they are listening.

:hmmyes:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Telsa Cola posted:

Do you have anything specific to point out beyond that because in my experience most people on SA find it good.

It's the typical "our only research is the wikipedia article" podcast, but with the added bonus that the guests couldn't even be bothered to read the article ahead of time and have nothing to contribute but terrible attempts at jokes.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Busket Posket posted:

Evans hasn't disclosed his username, but apparently he contributed to swap.avi

And some of the guests are poo poo, but Jamie Loftus is on quite a bit so I can deal with the duds. Also half of he reason I listen is for Sophie.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Evans hasn't disclosed his username, but apparently he contributed to swap.avi

I think you'll find that means the CIA funded swap.avi.

Swap.avi is an op.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Evans is a freelance journo not a salaried staff member of bellingcat. look askance at the stuff he's done that was for bellingcat & funded by bellingcat's CIA endowment, but calling him a plant or a front because a small portion of his work was for a website founded by a D&D reject is needless hyperbole and strongly suggests you have no grasp of nuance

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

he’s just a mediocre journalist with amazingly awful takes on foreign policy that just so happen to align with state department policy. that in itself doesn’t make him a spook, just a dishonest piece of poo poo.

he recently bragged in the podcast subforum about how he’s now making millions off his iheartradio stuff, so I don’t think he needs the CIA handouts anymore.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

steinrokkan posted:

It's the typical "our only research is the wikipedia article" podcast, but with the added bonus that the guests couldn't even be bothered to read the article ahead of time and have nothing to contribute but terrible attempts at jokes.

This is a fair criticism and thank you for responding.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

fistful of hammers posted:

Not technically true crime, but You're Wrong About as well as Behind the Bastards are both fantastic podcasts that delve deep into history and context behind major true crime cases (plus more).

One of the throughlines of You're Wrong About since its beginning has been discussing how moral panics happen and what cultural/social issues they're covering for.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Comrade Koba posted:

he’s just a mediocre journalist with amazingly awful takes on foreign policy that just so happen to align with state department policy. that in itself doesn’t make him a spook, just a dishonest piece of poo poo.

he recently bragged in the podcast subforum about how he’s now making millions off his iheartradio stuff, so I don’t think he needs the CIA handouts anymore.

buddy assad is never gonna return your love letters

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Behind the Bastards has explicitly pointed out that every foreign action the CIA has taken has made things objectively worse for the world and the USA, so Robert Evans makes for a pretty awful CIA plant. Also he’s super critical of Israel, which as absolutely goes against state department practices. It’s more likely the people saying he’s a CIA plant are the actual plants.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Behind the Bastards has explicitly pointed out that every foreign action the CIA has taken has made things objectively worse for the world and the USA, so Robert Evans makes for a pretty awful CIA plant. Also he’s super critical of Israel, which as absolutely goes against state department practices. It’s more likely the people saying he’s a CIA plant are the actual plants.

the fact that Robert Evans happily pals around with Bellingcat and the NED and makes pro-interventionist takes, while making standard anarchist criticisms of the CIA, is what makes him suspect

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think that podcast is funded by the CIA, in fact it is a pretty ridiculous criticism, but the CIA has a history of moderating is own criticism by elevating the most toothless or academic / inaccessible criticisms, or ones that actually support their agenda, in order to suppress critics who would be actually be inconvenient from the standpoint of getting the public to question the underlying structures that make the agency's position unassailable. Somebody saying the CIA sucks while upholding the foreign policy consensus is an ally to the CIA, because the broader policy framework is dependent on empowering the CIA to work.

But in this case I think he's just an useful idiot.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

steinrokkan posted:

Somebody saying the CIA sucks while upholding the foreign policy consensus is an ally to the CIA, because the broader policy framework is dependent on empowering the CIA to work.

it's this.

acknowledging that the CIA and the US in general were up to some horrific poo poo in the 1960's, 70's and 80's in no way inconveniences or challenges the current foreign policy establishment.

and like steinrokkan said, he can still be a useful idiot even if he isn't literally being handed monthly briefcases of cash from some guy in a suit.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

What if encouraging people to spread a constant atmosphere of mutual distrust among the left is the real CIA op?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Behind the Bastards has explicitly pointed out that every foreign action the CIA has taken has made things objectively worse for the world and the USA, so Robert Evans makes for a pretty awful CIA plant.

thats exactly what a plant would say

everything is an attempt to discredit the left. this includes people who post about the left. i'm watching you, buddy. you know who you are

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Somebody found a leg wrapped in plastic and "other remains" in a parking lot in my neighborhood.

It's a short blurb of an article, but it just happened so...

Article is here.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

thats exactly what a plant would say

everything is an attempt to discredit the left. this includes people who post about the left. i'm watching you, buddy. you know who you are
tbh the left does a pretty good job of that without outside help

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
the real unnerving story is how fuckin unhinged cspammers are

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Their reasoning above seems fairly compelling (they're not making particularly radical accusations, just discussing his possibly being a "useful idiot" and pointing out that the criticism of Cold War era CIA malfeasance isn't necessarily inconviencing the current establishment...all things that could be convincingly argued for or against) but that was before yall mentioned they were from x forum here or repeated some 100 year old cliche about leftist infighting...now i can see they were wrong

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think that podcast is funded by the CIA, in fact it is a pretty ridiculous criticism, but the CIA has a history of moderating is own criticism by elevating the most toothless or academic / inaccessible criticisms, or ones that actually support their agenda, in order to suppress critics who would be actually be inconvenient from the standpoint of getting the public to question the underlying structures that make the agency's position unassailable. Somebody saying the CIA sucks while upholding the foreign policy consensus is an ally to the CIA, because the broader policy framework is dependent on empowering the CIA to work.

But in this case I think he's just an useful idiot.

In this case, to say they are funded by the CIA is a bit of shorthand. Part of their funding comes from the National Endowment for Democracy which for a lot of people amounts to the same thing based on arguments such as the president of the NED saying in 1986 that it was created precisely because it would be a bad look for the CIA to be directly subsidizing these groups or when the NED president in 1991 said that most of what the NED does is what the CIA did 25 years earlier.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just haven’t seen an episode of Behind the Bastards where Robert Evans has been pro-intervention, so I’m not sure where the accusation that he agrees with modern CIA stuff is coming from. I mean he recently did a two part episode on the Dulles brothers and mentioned that the modern CIA continues to follow in their footsteps of loving up the Middle East through overthrowing democratic elections and funding terrorism against leaders that don’t seem friendly to US business interests.

The only intervention I’ve seen him support is regarding stopping the Turkey’s second Armenian genocide and stopping Turkey from invading Syria a while back. Is this just a pro-Turkey thing or is there stuff I’ve missed?

Legit question, I’m not trying to poo poo up the thread. I’ve googled and DuckDuckGo’d trying to find these bad Robert Evans takes but no one ever gets specific.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I just haven’t seen an episode of Behind the Bastards where Robert Evans has been pro-intervention, so I’m not sure where the accusation that he agrees with modern CIA stuff is coming from. I mean he recently did a two part episode on the Dulles brothers and mentioned that the modern CIA continues to follow in their footsteps of loving up the Middle East through overthrowing democratic elections and funding terrorism against leaders that don’t seem friendly to US business interests.

The only intervention I’ve seen him support is regarding stopping the Turkey’s second Armenian genocide and stopping Turkey from invading Syria a while back. Is this just a pro-Turkey thing or is there stuff I’ve missed?

Legit question, I’m not trying to poo poo up the thread. I’ve googled and DuckDuckGo’d trying to find these bad Robert Evans takes but no one ever gets specific.
Nobody hates leftists with a verve and fury than other leftists

They sure are a contentious people

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Yeah it's almost like their critiques are astroturfed to make them unpopular after they were critical of specific regimes.

:thunk:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Somebody found a leg wrapped in plastic and "other remains" in a parking lot in my neighborhood.

It's a short blurb of an article, but it just happened so...

Article is here.

It looks like they ID’d the victim, and here’s an article that’s not behind the fun local newspaper paywall.

In other Minneapolis news, Hennepin County Sheriffs Deputies were made part of a federal task force and went full Fred Hampton on local activist Winston Smith, surrounding his car with several unmarked vehicles, where he sat after a date on the top level of a parking garage, and mowed him down, injuring his date in the process. The original story was “he was seen with a gun”, then “he pointed a gun at officers”, then “he had a gun in his glovebox”, then “someone told us he owns a gun and he’s a felon so he shouldn’t”. Surprising no one, no dash cams or body cams were used. There are witnesses from apartment buildings near the parking garage, but they are terrified to come forward with footage because bad things happen to witnesses.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
And then someone protesting the assassination of Winston Smith was murdered by a chud driver. It's disgusting but unsurprising how concerted the efforts of police, racists and lawmakers are in North America to make running over protestors a protected practice.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Busket Posket posted:

It looks like they ID’d the victim, and here’s an article that’s not behind the fun local newspaper paywall.

quote:

...manner and cause of death have yet to be determined by a county medical examiner's office. Still, police investigators believe this was a homicide

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
to be fair someone could've come across a corpse from a suicide or something

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

to be fair someone could've come across a corpse from a suicide or something

Suicidal people usually don't manage to dismember themselves and wrap the component parts in plastic sheeting.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Lone Badger posted:

Suicidal people usually don't manage to dismember themselves and wrap the component parts in plastic sheeting.

That's because they are quitters.

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

There's currently a manhunt on in SW Oregon for this dude who went on a rampage around Coos Bay/North Bend. Dude violently murdered his father (at a news conference, the county DA stated he died of "extreme homicidal violence"), stole his dad's truck, used the stolen truck to hit and kill/critically injure an older couple from Florida, then kill a woman working at a dispensary. At some point during his rampage he was able to stop at a sporting goods store and purchase more ammunition. He abandoned the truck somewhere along the route to Eugene.

I've got a close friend who lives in the area and has been giving me updates. It took over 24 hours before this hit national news.

Before my friend told me about the manhunt that's ongoing, she was telling me how, in this town of just around 20k, there's been an arsonist who's lit fires to four different occupied houses, and at one point was on the scene of one of the houses when the cops showed up. He just apparently casually strolled away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Lone Badger posted:

I think the "someone" apparently cut up the suicide and wrapped them, according to OP's theory