Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I had the GC version of Twilight Princess, and the Wii version of the strategy guide because I am apparently real good at reading covers. So that was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I had the GC version of Twilight Princess, and the Wii version of the strategy guide because I am apparently real good at reading covers. So that was fun.

Protip read guide in mirror

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Amppelix posted:

you can't just flip the model without causing serious issues with literally every cutscene in the game (for example, every time you open a door!). they would all have to be reanimated to account for the different model so flipping the entire game is absolutely the preferable option if you don't have those resources.

Weirdly the only 2 things about the flipped version that honestly bothered me were how the Hylian text on all the signs and the map was flipped (normally Hylian letters are mostly decipherable even if you don't know them), and how Link and Telma shook hands with their left hands in a cutscene.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

you can't just flip the model without causing serious issues with literally every cutscene in the game (for example, every time you open a door!). they would all have to be reanimated to account for the different model so flipping the entire game is absolutely the preferable option if you don't have those resources.

You can just flip the animations (not model) for things like opening doors but that doesn't solve the cutscenes though.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
You could also just not flip it? For TP it was totally irrelevant as it didn't have motion controls on the Wii anyway, but even in skyward sword, link not holding the sword in the same hand that I'm moving matters not at all, so they could've just left (heh) it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Walla posted:

The peaks in the distance are more defined in the second. Also better/more realistic use of shadows. There's a pretty sizeable difference in quality even to my crappy eyes.

Also you can clearly see that Akkala and Woodland towers are gone.

No it's the same appearance, despite minor detail differences like the magma. It's extremely similar to 1 in every video I have seen

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there are, in fact, people who hold the wii mote in their left hand that exist and would attest to the fact that using the opposite hand to Link in Skyward Sword is disorienting. you could even try it for yourself if you don’t understand how that could be

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Augus posted:

there are, in fact, people who hold the wii mote in their left hand that exist and would attest to the fact that using the opposite hand to Link in Skyward Sword is disorienting. you could even try it for yourself if you don’t understand how that could be

I am one of those people, yes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Swinging the sword with the Wiimote in TP was a mistake anyway. A lot of work for zero benefit

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I liked swinging the sword in TP when you were attacking boss weakpoints. It made it feel like I was more engaged and I missed it for that one reason when I played the WiiU version.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Aiming the bow felt good but generally the motion controls in TP Wii were really superficial, just replacing button presses with flicks.

They could've at least allowed using the Classic Controller as an alternative control style, though I'm not sure if it even was out yet since it was a launch game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hatty posted:

Swinging the sword with the Wiimote in TP was a mistake anyway. A lot of work for zero benefit

lmfao

It's fine that many people don't prefer motion controls but it was hardly "a lot of work"

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i think they meant that implementing it was a lot of work with no benefit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it definitely was not

they just mapped any wiimote movement above a certain acceleration to pressing the attack button

all the other wiimote input stuff in that game is actually good, like pointer aim, but that one was almost out of necessity for the controller's severe lack of buttons

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I hated every single game that used the wii motion control. Those remotes were awkward, vague garbage. At least for MarioKart you could turn off the motion control and run the wiimote like a poorly-designed normal controller.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Never even touched motion controls for stuff like Mario Kart, that just seemed the most gimmicky. Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 3, and to some extent Skyward Sword are what I recall as thinking the most reasonable uses of motion controls. I really liked it for aiming on the shooters in particular, but I think Nintendo's current gyro-assist aiming is a better solution than holding my hand up to point at the screen constantly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I personally know someone that 100%ed Mario Kart using motion controls because she likes them

I loved them in Galaxy and they were fine in Zelda

They are the absolute best in Splatoon

Turns out people like different things

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wiimote and Nunchuk is the best setup for racing, to the point I got an 8bitdo adapter to use it on the Switch.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Zat posted:

They could've at least allowed using the Classic Controller as an alternative control style, though I'm not sure if it even was out yet since it was a launch game.

This is my beef with a lot of games, including PH and ST. I don't mind experimental, alternative control schemes so long as there is an alternative traditional control scheme. I don't think that that is too much to ask

For so many games, the motion control on the Wii seems superfluous and only put in to validate the system. The Wii to me has always seemed like traditional games looking for a gimmick rather than a gimmick looking for non-traditional games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

splitting your attention between two completely different control schemes that require radically different implementations for performing the same actions sounds like a bad time for developing a video game tbh

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also like in general radical new control schemes used to be fairly regular until the x360/PS3 sort of locked in what we think of as a 'standard' controller design.

Like would you say every game that uses the analog sticks should make it a priority to also support people who hate them and prefer the more reliable d-pad?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Motion controls are terrible because they caused the gun effects in Metroid Prime 1 to be removed.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i mean, control options being available is about as close to an objectively good thing you can add to a video game as i can think of, so i really don't agree with this sick own

Zore posted:

Like would you say every game that uses the analog sticks should make it a priority to also support people who hate them and prefer the more reliable d-pad?
i was more just talking about how that's pretty infeasible when it comes to games with particularly unique control schemes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

i mean, control options being available is about as close to an objectively good thing you can add to a video game as i can think of, so i really don't agree with this sick own

i was more just talking about how that's pretty infeasible when it comes to games with particularly unique control schemes

I mean there are a lot of games that it would be completely infeasible to map movement to the D-Pad instead of an analog stick too. Specifically if acceleration depends on the degree you press the stick it can screw up a ton of stuff and make games literally unbeatable.

Much like how games built around motion controls usually can't be easily mapped to a more traditional layout without a lot of compromises and changes made.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Zore posted:

Also like in general radical new control schemes used to be fairly regular until the x360/PS3 sort of locked in what we think of as a 'standard' controller design.

I'd say controller design was standardized much earlier, with the dualshock in 1997 and original xbox controller in 2001, meaning controller design has been largely standardized (two triggers, an analog stick, and a d-pad on the left, two triggers, four face buttons, and an analog stick on the right, select+start in the center) for pretty much the entire history of 3D console games. Nintendo controllers are just occasionally designed by the same guy that names the xboxes.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I sucked rear end at Mario Kart in the pre-Wii days when using the analog stick was the only option, but with motion controls on Mario Kart Wii, I was in the global top ten for like three tracks for the first few weeks after release. Motion controls are still the only way I’m any good at Mario Kart.

Conversely, every other game that uses motion controls (except aiming your bow in BotW) blows rear end at implementing them, imo

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I loved Metroid Prime 3's Wii controls.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Conversely, every other game that uses motion controls (except aiming your bow in BotW) blows rear end at implementing them, imo
good to hear from the authority on motion controls that no one has ever done them well except these two exact games

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Amppelix posted:

good to hear from the authority on motion controls that no one has ever done them well except these two exact games

Yes, my usage of "imo" (a handy abbreviation for "in my opinion") definitely means I'm claiming absolute authority on this matter

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 19, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

External Organs posted:

I loved Metroid Prime 3's Wii controls.

I did too, they weren't perfect but they added a little something that made me feel pretty immersed.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
zelda sucks lol

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mods?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Smythe posted:

zelda sucks lol

:frogout:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Beat Saber's pretty good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
just kidding i love zelda :angel:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah that makes sense. because it sucks!!!! :twisted:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Look at this yutz that's never Splatooned

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Loucks posted:

I hated every single game that used the wii motion control. Those remotes were awkward, vague garbage. At least for MarioKart you could turn off the motion control and run the wiimote like a poorly-designed normal controller.

This guy never played Excite Truck. That game needs a sequel.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they did it was called Excitebots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'm actually excited to drop 60 bucks or whatever on the skyward sword re-release on switch because I never got to play it on the Wii. :unsmith: