Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Also I can see it being nearly impossible to remove those little square stickers that hide the screws on the face of the system. I have no clue how you'd take that off without ruining them and then putting them back on.

You just need the right plastic tools and to replace the adhesive. Annoying, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Also I can see it being nearly impossible to remove those little square stickers that hide the screws on the face of the system. I have no clue how you'd take that off without ruining them and then putting them back on.

They can be reused if you're really careful (and skilled), but I just treat them as consumables and order new replacement rubbers for like $1.20 from AliExpress.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I had no idea they sold those. That's awesome. Thank you.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yes, I dug 9 pages back to find this thread.

Nintendo has 2DS Electric Blue refurbs available for $49.99 + $5 shipping. Nintendo refurbs are like-new and super awesome, and probably better to get than whatever crap you've been eyeing on Craigslist.

https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-2ds-electric-blue-2-refurbished.html

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Nintendo has 2DS Electric Blue refurbs available for $49.99 + $5 shipping. Nintendo refurbs are like-new and super awesome, and probably better to get than whatever crap you've been eyeing on Craigslist.

I’d grab one of these quick if anyone is interested. They’re not getting many refurbs these days.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Probably the last time you'll be able to get any 3DS at this price. and the 2DS is very comfy to boot

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's a 2ds, not a n2ds. Good price.

Do people like this now or something? I've never heard that people liked it other than something to give to a little kid. In part due to the lack of screen protection, or any protection.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like the 2DS. It's a neat wedge. I originally got one as a stop gap because my 3DS XL's hinge had broke in that moment of time between when the New 3DS had been announced in Japan but not in the states yet and it coming out here. I wouldn't recommend it for fast action games like Smash Bros or Monster Hunter, but it's perfect for JRPGs.

At $50, they would be solid to add CFW to and give as gifts. I've ordered two refurbished 2DS units from Nintendo and they were brand new.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The O2DS is good. I think it may be the most comfortable to hold of them all. I don’t think I could go back from a New though unfortunately.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Waltzing Along posted:

It's a 2ds, not a n2ds. Good price.

Do people like this now or something?
It's comfortable due to its size/form factor, and can be put in a case to protect it, just like any other piece of electronics. Since I don't care about 3D or the new-exclusive things, it's pretty nice.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, what grips have you guys liked for the New 3DS XL? I dusted mine off and boy, that thing hurts the hands.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

notthegoatseguy posted:

drat, sold out already. Thanks for the head's up anyway.

How do you find out when they are back in stock? I'm guessing Wario64 on twitter but he tweets 87 times a day (god bless him) and I don't know how anyone can handle their phones going off that many times a day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sloth Socks posted:

Hey, what grips have you guys liked for the New 3DS XL? I dusted mine off and boy, that thing hurts the hands.

I bought some cheapo one from Wish but it broke almost immediately. You’re right, it’s such a sore console to use.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I bought some cheapo one from Wish but it broke almost immediately. You’re right, it’s such a sore console to use.

Yeah, it seems like there's a ton of cheap & lovely plastic molds out there. I got this one for my hacked 2DS and it's worked so far, even if it's just plastic whatever, but I can't find if they have a model for the New 3DS XL. It's great to have this confusion between the Nintendo product names and the infinite bogus Amazon listings.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The 3DS XL and the 2DS XL are the same size. I have that exact grip on my 3DS and it works fine.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Sloth Socks posted:

Sloth Socks posted:

Yeah, it seems like there's a ton of cheap & lovely plastic molds out there. I got this one for my hacked 2DS and it's worked so far, even if it's just plastic whatever, but I can't find if they have a model for the New 3DS XL. It's great to have this confusion between the Nintendo product names and the infinite bogus Amazon listings.

I've got one exactly like that from AliExpress, feels pretty robust (and comfortable, compared to stock). It does make an n3DS XL pretty chunky, about the size of a mass-market paperback.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1402322447488077824?s=21

Jump on this quick if you want one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

In for two for my kids. You're the poo poo! Thank you!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I looked at the description, doesn't say whether OOT is installed. I know it was at retail.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I looked at the description, doesn't say whether OOT is installed. I know it was at retail.

Was it burned into the system ROM?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Is there anywhere left to buy a battery for the small n3ds? All I can find is shady knockoffs on Amazon/ebay, and Nintendo doesn't have the KTR-003s, just the old 3ds and n3ds XL ones.

Barring that, any recommendations for 3rd party ones that are reliable? Mine's showing it's age at this point.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Quoting this from what I heard last time there was talk about 3DS batteries, so it may be wrong, but supposedly Nu3DS batteries are the same as the old 3DS (non-XL) batteries and the Wii U Pro Controller's.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Quoting this from what I heard last time there was talk about 3DS batteries, so it may be wrong, but supposedly Nu3DS batteries are the same as the old 3DS (non-XL) batteries and the Wii U Pro Controller's.

The old 3ds is the same as the WiiU pro controller one, but they're both CTR-003s, which does not physically fit in the n3ds battery bay, unfortunately.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, poo poo, I didn't know that or I'd have actively stocked on OEM batteries a few years back. I own every 3DS revision and this is my favorite. I hope someone out there starts making replacement batteries.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

The pins themselves line up and the actual voltages are the same. Seems like with an appropriate spacer you could use the CTR-003 here but I don’t think I trust it enough to risk wadding some paper in there to keep it in place.

You can see there’s like a 3mm gap on the top there and another 1mm or so on the sides so it wiggles and falls out of place.

EDIT: Switch Pro Controller also uses the CTR-003s, so maybe if it's possible to get some kind of 3d printer bracket for these they'll be available for the forseeable future, but the n3ds is the odd man out with the KTR-003s and they just don't seem to exist anymore :(

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 8, 2021

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

There are definitely batteries for the New 3DS available. I bought an unoriginal one a few months ago on eBay. Had to replace the old one since it was bulging. Haven't noticed any major difference in battery life, but I found a cheap 2DS XL not long after, so haven't been using the N3DS much.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Whizzing Wizard posted:

There are definitely batteries for the New 3DS available. I bought an unoriginal one a few months ago on eBay. Had to replace the old one since it was bulging. Haven't noticed any major difference in battery life, but I found a cheap 2DS XL not long after, so haven't been using the N3DS much.

When I emailed Nintendo of Australia a few months ago they had them available, was limited to one per customer though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vegastar posted:

Is there anywhere left to buy a battery for the small n3ds? All I can find is shady knockoffs on Amazon/ebay, and Nintendo doesn't have the KTR-003s, just the old 3ds and n3ds XL ones.

Barring that, any recommendations for 3rd party ones that are reliable? Mine's showing it's age at this point.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Nintendo-Battery-Pack-KTR-003-Genuine/dp/B07WW9XWCG/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=ktr-003&qid=1623191585&sr=8-2

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Sloth Socks posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018VAEXD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That makes it considerably more comfortable to use and is the only way I can play the system, but it blocks the cartridge slot. People in reviews seem to have a difficult time removing it, but all you have to do is put your fingernails underneath the plastic by the ZR button and pull up slightly and the whole thing pops off.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1402701221178200064?s=21

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1402702269435432964?s=21

Guess Nintendo is clearing out all extra stock they have.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Heads up, batteries for New 3ds xl models seems to be back in stock on the nintendo website:

https://store.nintendo.com/battery-pack-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-nintendo-3ds-xl.html

Also, dumb question but which of these styluses would fit into my New 3DS XL?

https://store.nintendo.com/stylus-nintendo-3ds-xl.html

https://store.nintendo.com/stylus-new-nintendo-3ds.html

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 12, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Edit:wait I don’t actually know ignore me

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks. Grabbed that battery. I was on the same one since when the N3DS came out in 2015.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is this the thread for emulating the 3ds? Trying to play Ocarina of time's remake...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is this the thread for emulating the 3ds? Trying to play Ocarina of time's remake...
Best way to do that is probably pick up a 3DS and either a rom or the actual game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo had some refurbished New 2DS XLs for $99 on their webstore this morning so keep an eye out if you want one since the next batch will probably go quick too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo had some refurbished New 2DS XLs for $99 on their webstore this morning so keep an eye out if you want one since the next batch will probably go quick too.

This is true. Then Wario64 posted a link and they sold out within 10 mins. Gotta love resellers.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Emulating the dual screen handhelds just never felt right to me. Like playing a GameCube or N64 game without the proper controller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

Emulating the dual screen handhelds just never felt right to me. Like playing a GameCube or N64 game without the proper controller.

Yeah, the vertical orientation when emulating is awkward. It kinda works for some DS games on Wii U due to it being two screens too but still isn’t optimal for games that require constant focus on both screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Simply turn your monitor into tate mode