Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
HM: Wardlow vs Jake Hager
MOTYC: Darby Allin vs Men of the Year
MOTYC: Orange Cassidy vs Cezar Bononi
HM: Penta el Zero M, Eddie Kingston & Frankie Kazarian vs Matt Jackson & Good Brothers

All from AEW Dynamite 18.06.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ganbare Pro ~ I’LL BE LIKE A FLOWER BLOOMING ON THE MOON 2021 ~ June 19th
HM
Keisuke Ishii and Kouki Iwasaki vs Shuichiro Katsumura and Yumehito Imanari
- Still can't recognise most of these guys by sight, but the Ishii-led team getting heat on the guy in purple (I think Imanari) really made me feel bad for the guy, there were a ton of real meaty shots in there. Hot tag was good after all that anticipation, and the breakdown was fun leading to a humorous pinning sequence. Good fun all around, even if the postmatch baffled me a bit.

Miyako Matsumoto vs Tanomusaku Toba - Kickboxing Rules
- My god, the loving Muay Thai ceremony at the beginning already had my on my arse laughing, then the actual fight started. I don't know what I was expecting, but Toba came out of it looking like the biggest dick on the planet for mercilessly beating on that tiny woman. Miyacoco resorting to grappling attempts on a guy twice her size wearing giant boxing gloves was a real funny visual, but on the whole the bout was played pretty straight.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

WMOTYC: Wardlow vs. Jake Hager, AEW Dynamite, 18/06

If I wanted to watch MMA I'd watch MMA

nth

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

AEW Dynamite June 18th
HM: Wardlow vs Hager

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

SG Bamboo posted:

TJPW Spring Tour ~ The Bullet ~ June 19th
MOTYC
Miu Watanabe vs Pom Harajuku vs Hyper Misao
- The way they played with the triple threat stipulation was hilarious, and MIU IS SO STRONG. Not the most actual wrestling you'll see, but the entertainment value was through the roof. Seek it out

HM
Maki Itoh vs Mahiro Kiryu
- The best singles match I remember Kiryu having, and probably her best performance since Max Heart

NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama and Mei Saint-Michel) vs Moka Miyamoto and Raku
- This was incredible, Mei is an absolute treasure, just have her run about for 10 minutes and everyhitng will be fine. Also Raku's shtick was great, and Moka showed fire

Miyu Yamashita and Yuka Sakazaki vs Nodoka Tenma and Shoko Nakajima
- Some of Shoko's offence was very sloppy, but I was very much entertained by Yuka being pure evil against poor Tenma in the leadup to the hot tag. Miyu also took some time out of her busy schedule being the absolute coolest to heel it up as well, plus she deadlifted Tenma like it was nothing which looked super impressive.

Nth

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

AEW Dynamite 18.06

WMOTYC: Wardlow vs Jake Hager
HM: Darby Allin vs Men of the Year
MOTYC: Orange Cassidy vs Cezar Bononi
HM: Penta el Zero M, Eddie Kingston & Frankie Kazarian vs Matt Jackson & Good Brothers

A show of contrasts

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

How close is Wardlow/Hager to joining the HM/WMOTY club?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If I've counted correctly it's already got the votes for a WMOTY (for some weird reason) and is one away from an HM.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think the reasons are very much not weird and instead are clearly presented. I do not wish to see this stuff on pro wrestling programming, but obviously some others do

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

jesus WEP posted:

AEW Dynamite June 18th
HM: Wardlow vs Hager

yea

Rarity posted:

yea

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Wmotyc: Roman vs. Rey, Hell in a Cell on Smackdown

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

AEW Dynamite 6/18/2021

HM: Wardlow vs Jake Hager
HM: Darby Allin vs Men of the Year
HM: Orange Cassidy vs Cezar Bononi

Can't vote for the 6 man since I fell asleep during the Cody tag but I've got a bunch more wrestling to watch tomorrow morning so I'm sure I'll have more nominations to come.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Shoot Style matches are the purest form of art and I shake my head with pity at those unable to enjoy them.

The Taxman posted:

Just watched the show, and although the card was pretty solid, nothing touched

Stardom Dream Cinderella 6/12
MOTYC:Utami Hayashishita v Syuri

What a war. Absolute brutality, guts, and compressed vertebrae.

Gonna Nth this one. I thought the ending was a bit flat at first so I didn't nominate it. Then I was reading the Observer and found out the match continued after the draw and went back and watched and yeah, that's a MOTYC

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The Taxman posted:

Just watched the show, and although the card was pretty solid, nothing touched

Stardom Dream Cinderella 6/12
MOTYC:Utami Hayashishita v Syuri

What a war. Absolute brutality, guts, and compressed vertebrae.

Nth

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Nth. Dogshit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TTBF posted:

Shoot Style matches are the purest form of art and I shake my head with pity at those unable to enjoy them.

Shoot style is cool but this wasn't a particularly good take on the formula imo. My eyes rolled so far back in my head when Jake Hagar landed one job & then just didn't follow up, or when he got a double leg takedown and then proceeded to just stand back up & back off. That was super immersion breaking. Although I also enjoyed when Wardlow had Hagar in side control & almost instantly lost it because that's some real dedication to replicating low level Heavyweight MMA poo poo & I'm a sicko with a fondness for dogshit Heavyweight MMA, though I prefer the fights where they gas within 3 minutes. I had to watch it out of curiosity & I think some aspects of it worked, but I dunno, the whole point of a worked shoot fight is so you can do something spectacular and throw some sick German suplexes, instead we got a really funny looking showtime punch off the cage wall.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Shoot style is cool but this wasn't a particularly good take on the formula imo. My eyes rolled so far back in my head when Jake Hagar landed one job & then just didn't follow up, or when he got a double leg takedown and then proceeded to just stand back up & back off. That was super immersion breaking.

idk that sounds exactly like how Jake Hager's real fights go

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OK, maybe I underestimated just how low level his MMA game is, I'll grant you that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The one time anybody who likes MMA was talking about his MMA fights on this sub, it was making fun of him for being bad against scrubs and then getting DQ'd, and it wasn't even the first time that almost happened

quote:

In Hager's second fight with the promotion, he faced T.J. Jones on May 11, 2019 at Bellator 221.[160][161] He again won the fight via an arm-triangle choke in the first round. Controversy surrounded the bout, however, when Hager held on to the choke for several seconds after Jones had tapped. This caused an obviously displeased referee Mike Beltran to have to physically pull Hager off of Jones and the arena audience loudly booed Hager.[162]

For his third fight with the promotion, Hager faced Anthony Garrett at Bellator 231 on October 25, 2019.[163] The bout ended in a no contest early into the first round after Hager landed two unintentional groin strikes to Garrett, the latter one rendering Garrett unable to continue

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Wardlow/Hager was dogshit but it was fun to mock and I enjoyed Wardlow's Shoot Hurricanrana too much to give it a WMOTY nod.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

From the context of a worked shoot fight it was average to above average because it didn't result in anyone getting injured and the way the match was worked kept Wardlow from massively losing credibility.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

the funniest part of his fights are his opponents

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dimebags Brain posted:

Wardlow/Hager was dogshit but it was fun to mock and I enjoyed Wardlow's Shoot Hurricanrana too much to give it a WMOTY nod.

I think fun to watch is a decent reason because you know there are people who watch all the WMOTYCs (it's me) and they deserve something funny as a break from Lacey Evans having to be taught how to wrestle during a televised match

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tarnop posted:

I think fun to watch is a decent reason because you know there are people who watch all the WMOTYCs (it's me) and they deserve something funny as a break from Lacey Evans having to be taught how to wrestle during a televised match

If you willingly watch all the matches nominated for WMOTYC even breaking a bone would be a relief from that

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

King of DDT Round 2 June 20th
MOTYC
Konosuke Takeshita vs Mao
- These two guys beat the holy hell out of each other but didn't let it get in the way of their character work. I loved Ueno and Shunma staying in the neutral corner because they were supporting both guys. I loved the easy dodges because they were teammates and well versed on each others little tricks. I loved Takeshita's loving enormous Blue Thunder Bomb, followed shortly by Mao's shooting star knee drop. I loved the abrupt change of tactics for the finish. Goddamn 37KAMIINA rule, i love these Sauna Boys

HARASHIMA vs Yuji Hino
- Hino could just stand in the middle of the ring and chop the poo poo out of people that try to move him and i'd love it, but this match went far beyond that with HARASHIMA and Hino beating seven shades off poo poo out of each other. Bit so hard on some of those nearfalls, loved the strike exchanges, and loved the winner. So hyped for the finals in a couple of weeks.

HM
Damnation (Soma Takao and Nobuhiro Shimatani) vs 37KAMIINA (Shunma Katsumata and Yuki Ueno) vs Akito and Naomi Yoshimura
- Absolute madness of a tornado tag match to cleanse the palatte from the absurdist comedy of the first two matches

Tetsuya Endo vs Kazusada Higuchi
- Endo flew around and made Higuchi look like an absolute monster. It was a bit odd having the leader of Damnation playing the underdog face, but it was a great match nontheless because both guys rule

Goodamn I love DDT so much, the undercard comedy can be hit or miss but the serious matches are up there with the best in the world.

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 20, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
OC/Cezar making MOTYC really proves AEW gets graded on a curve

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Rarity posted:

:rolleyes:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

We're on the payroll, after all.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

King of DDT Round 2
MOTYC
Konosuke Takeshita vs Mao
- These two guys beat the holy hell out of each other but didn't let it get in the way of their character work. I loved Ueno and Shunma staying in the neutral corner because they were supporting both guys. I loved the easy dodges because they were teammates and well versed on each others little tricks. I loved Takeshita's loving enormous Blue Thunder Bomb, followed shortly by Mao's shooting star knee drop. I loved the abrupt change of tactics for the finish. Goddamn 37KAMIINA rule, i love these Sauna Boys

HARASHIMA vs Yuji Hino
- Hino could just stand in the middle of the ring and chop the poo poo out of people that try to move him and i'd love it, but this match went far beyond that with HARASHIMA and Hino beating seven shades off poo poo out of each other. Bit so hard on some of those nearfalls, loved the strike exchanges, and loved the winner. So hyped for the finals in a couple of weeks.

HM
Damnation (Soma Takao and Nobuhiro Shimatani) vs 37KAMIINA (Shunma Katsumata and Yuki Ueno) vs Akito and Naomi Yoshimura
- Absolute madness of a tornado tag match to cleanse the palatte from the absurdist comedy of the first two matches

Tetsuya Endo vs Kazusada Higuchi
- Endo flew around and made Higuchi look like an absolute monster. It was a bit odd having the leader of Damnation playing the underdog face, but it was a great match nontheless because both guys rule

Goodamn I love DDT so much, the undercard comedy can be hit or miss but the serious matches are up there with the best in the world.

Nth to all of these. On a faction basis, Sauna Club may be the greatest concentration of wrestling talent in the world today.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Cagematch has OC/Bononi match at 4.65 out of 10 right now so probably won’t be winning any match of the year awards lol.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

cagematch ratings, eh

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alaois posted:

cagematch ratings, eh

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pictured: The match recommendations thread after AEW killed it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
People can rate matches as high or low as they want. Bononi/OC was fun bullshit imo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It also has a 2.36 rating out of 5 on Grappl

None of which proves you are wrong for liking it, but it doesn't hurt to get an idea of how a match has been viewed outside of this particular corner of the internet.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Seams posted:

People can rate matches as high or low as they want. Bononi/OC was fun bullshit imo.

Yeah, I voted it match of the year because they did almost all of the fun bullshit spots to appeal to me, a wrestling fan who became such through Chuck Taylor's work in Chikara, personally.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It also has a 2.36 rating out of 5 on Grappl

None of which proves you are wrong for liking it, but it doesn't hurt to get an idea of how a match has been viewed outside of this particular corner of the internet.

Taichi’s G1 matches are consistently rated amongst the worst in the tourney on Grappl (Yano is the worst) and I’ll never understand that poo poo.

I’d like to mention I don’t use Grappl because I’m too lazy and also the app kinda sucks but an internet friend does and someone usually compiles the G1 stats every year which is pretty interesting

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I remember I have it on my phone about 3 times a year, use it once & forget about it again. I've got an unwieldy & poorly made low effort spreadsheet with all my ratings on it, I don't need APPS

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i have to assume Grappl is Untappd but for wrestling matches which sounds like the worst thing in the entire universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Alaois posted:

i have to assume Grappl is Untappd but for wrestling matches which sounds like the worst thing in the entire universe

It is. Untappd for wrestling matches, that is. I can think of a few things that are worse but not too many