Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tarezax posted:

They seem to spawn in specific areas. I've gotten plenty just from happening across them while hunting crystalflies at the guyun domain cave.

Do they only spawn once an IRL day or is that more bad info? If not I'll try there between 10 and 2AM which I've heard are the proper times for them to spawn and see if I have any luck. It's been about the only thing I've had trouble farming though and I when I saw I needed them for the bombs for the event and for the gadgets like the treasure chest finding one I kind of let out a Sideshow Bob rake stepping groan ngl.

Also I made one of those supposed Anemoculus detecting gadgets and equipped it and then used it and it just seemed to eat the item permanently and do nothing. Am I missing something there? Is the treasure one permanent? I seem to be able to see any mining points in game now anywhere I go which I couldn't before a couple weeks ago and believe I made a gadget for that but can't entirely remember Talking about the stuff you get for Mondstadt reputation quests btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Kale posted:

I seem to be able to see any mining points in game now anywhere I go which I couldn't before a couple weeks ago and believe I made a gadget for that but can't entirely remember
Are you using Ningguang? She shows you nearby mining points.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Anemo/geoculus compasses are one time use but aren't consumed if there isn't one in the area. The treasure compasses are indeed permanent.

The reason you can see mining nodes in the minimap is because you put Ningguang in your team

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if your oculus compass was consumed that means using it marked an area where you can find one on your map

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Beaten

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I initially figured the game's story would be basic baby poo poo on account of it starting out quite simply, and how Paimon exists just to say "Oh, Paimon gets it! What they're saying is [extremely dumbed down summation so stoned drunks and 9 year olds with ADHD can follow along, no judgment intended, I am often the stoned drunk]," but I just finished the main Liyue story arc and it had a lot of surprisingly twisty and intelligent stuff happening that touched on different and fully realized philosophies about duty, rule, commerce, the role of gods, etc with interesting political maneuvering to boot.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ardlen posted:

Are you using Ningguang? She shows you nearby mining points.

Oh that makes sense. Yeah I just recently got her, Diluc, Noelle and Sucrose out of 50 or so non-event pulls (first time I've really done one since I started playing) and that perfectly coincides with when the nodes started appearing on my mini-map. Guess it makes sense since precious gems are kind of her thing. Also might as well inquire now since I'm starting to get into that phase of the game but I primarily want to dump all of my artifact efforts into jacking her elemental mastery and Geo element damage if I want to get the most out of her right? No need to focus on atk or does that factor into her damage calculations too.

Diluc I assume I want to have both Atk and Elemental Mastery though right? I plan on trying to use him to clear that really annoying Dragonspine cave challenge with the 4 waves and 3 Cryo mages at the end that seems deliberately designed to aggravate the poo poo out of the player by freezing and dropping poo poo on them constantly. That one seems a little overtuned so not even touching it again until he and Xiangling hit level 60 with some solid artifacts and then I'll probably finally raise the world level above 3.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I initially figured the game's story would be basic baby poo poo on account of it starting out quite simply, and how Paimon exists just to say "Oh, Paimon gets it! What they're saying is [extremely dumbed down summation so stoned drunks and 9 year olds with ADHD can follow along, no judgment intended, I am often the stoned drunk]," but I just finished the main Liyue story arc and it had a lot of surprisingly twisty and intelligent stuff happening that touched on different and fully realized philosophies about duty, rule, commerce, the role of gods, etc with interesting political maneuvering to boot.

As the games gone on I've sort of noticed Paimon's character is that she's kind of a poo poo talker and not really all that bright so considering that's the character you spend most of the time around early in the game and really even just in general that's not all that surprising a take. It actually caught me off guard at the end of the Liyue arc where the MC finally grins and says some line about asking for help finding a missing person and realizing how awkward it was that he talked since 99.99% of conversions in the game involve talking to an NPC who gives you the scoop and having Paimon saying lots of crazy poo poo and being blown away by the course of the conversation.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 19, 2021

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Elemental Mastery only affects reactions and geo reactions don't do damage. Ningguang wants the standard dps stats of atk, crit%, and critdmg.

edit: also a geo damage cup

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Elemental Mastery only affects reactions and geo reactions don't do damage. Ningguang wants the standard dps stats of atk, crit%, and critdmg.

Okay that tracks a lot with the sorts of numbers I'm seeing thanks. I'd mainly been gearing her for elemental mastery so when I think back on some fights she'll be doing about 97 damage or so per regular attack but then when I get the crystallize effect it's like 300-400 or so. Feel like I've learned more about how some poo poo works in this game in the last 20 minutes or so then I have in the last month reading random poo poo around the internet. Like I said lots of bad useless info out there from people that don't seem to know what they're on about and just bandwagoning onto the popularity of the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah, and then you go hang out with a elf child and her infinite pocket C4 for an hour. Teyvaat is a land of contrasts.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

Okay that tracks a lot with the sorts of numbers I'm seeing thanks. I'd mainly been gearing her for elemental mastery so when I think back on some fights she'll be doing about 97 damage or so per regular attack but then when I get the crystallize effect it's like 300-400 or so. Feel like I've learned more about how some poo poo works in this game in the last 20 minutes or so then I have in the last month reading random poo poo around the internet. Like I said lots of bad useless info out there from people that don't seem to know what they're on about and just bandwagoning onto the popularity of the game.

Yeah there's a toooon of bad info out there for genshin. I'm not even sure why lol

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

out of the hypostates, is the hydro one the hardest?

An earlier post made me go after geo hypostates because I figured I needed to level my ning and apart from how long it took, I find it as easy as electro.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It makes me sad that the best in depth info comes from youtube videos of professional streamers, but it's true. Honey hunter is for leaks, Genshin Impact Fandom is for confirmed general info, and youtube videos are for details on all of those hidden stats that are never explained anywhere else.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Kale posted:

Ning is a great DPS, my Ning hits for about 600 per normal attack which goes up to about 1500 when buffs kick in. Crits with a charge attack for 8-15,000. And it turns out that I've been neglecting her artifacts and they're level 12-16 with poor substats but relevant mainstats.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

TV Zombie posted:

out of the hypostates, is the hydro one the hardest?

An earlier post made me go after geo hypostates because I figured I needed to level my ning and apart from how long it took, I find it as easy as electro.

There's no hydro hypostasis (yet). If you mean the Oceanid then yes, she's a real pain. I'd definitely agree that she's the hardest of the normal bosses.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Xun posted:

Yeah there's a toooon of bad info out there for genshin. I'm not even sure why lol

Like I said I'm almost certain it's cause it caught a lot of people off guard with just how popular it got and you suddenly have a lot of blog and gaming site writers who are total fish out of water for this sort of game scrambling to write "content" and capitalize on it and it just clogs up the searches and inquiries with a lot of speculative sensationalist crap coming from outfits like Game Rant (Just the absolute worst along with all Valnet media run websites which feel like they have articles churned out by algorithms) and purely clickbait journalism blogs.

Instead of just giving you good accurate info though they put out nonsensical sensationalized crap or just don't even bother to do proper checks for the methods they suggest because they can't be bothered and just want site traffic. It's not just a problem with this game but a lot of explosively popular stuff lately and because Valnet seems to pay google a lot of money to have their crap put to the top of youtube and google searches of just about anything you can search and also churn out so much crap that it seems to bend the algorithm towards their sites as well.

Then you have the independent influencers who also seemed to bandwagon onto doing "content" about the game but are just as fish out of water. Can't say the number of times I've looked to draw a bead on a character or ability and again they just kind of sensationalize everything they possibly can (this character is amazing, that ability is amazing, this thing is broken, that thing will do a bajillion damage, everything is loving absolutely amazing game changing so you should pull for all it and so on) so it doesn't help me much since while I've played my share of RPG's over the years, I don't know everything about how all the systems and that work in this game quite yet myself....just have enough common sense to know when I'm being bullshitted or misinformed.

I really REALLY hope something changes in the course of online popular media journalism and algorithms in general because like I said all of the above has really become a noticeable problem in Covid times in general.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 19, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Danakir posted:

There's no hydro hypostasis (yet). If you mean the Oceanid then yes, she's a real pain. I'd definitely agree that she's the hardest of the normal bosses.

The best part of there being no new Hydro characters is that we haven't had to run Oceanid in months.

Except for that event, but that one was honestly a lot easier.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Kale posted:

Like I said I'm almost certain it's cause it caught a lot of people off guard with just how popular it got and you suddenly have a lot of blog and gaming site writers who are total fish out of water for this sort of game scrambling to write "content" and capitalize on it and it just clogs up the searches and inquiries with a lot of speculative sensationalist crap coming from outfits like Game Rant (Just the absolute worst along with all Valnet media run websites which feel like they have articles churned out by algorithms) and purely clickbait journalism blogs.

Instead of just giving you good accurate info though they put out nonsensical sensationalized crap or just don't even bother to do proper checks for the methods they suggest because they can't be bothered and just want site traffic. It's not just a problem with this game but a lot of explosively popular stuff lately and because Valnet seems to pay google a lot of money to have their crap put to the top of youtube and google searches of just about anything you can search and also churn out so much crap that it seems to bend the algorithm towards their sites as well. Then you have the independent influencers who also seemed to bandwagon onto doing "content" about the game but are just as fish out of water. Can't say the number of times I've looked to draw a bead on a character or ability and again they just kind of sensationalize everything they possibly can (this character is amazing, that ability is amazing, this thing is broken, that thing will do a bajillion damage, everything is loving absolutely amazing game changing so you should pull for all it and so on) so it doesn't help me much and I can kind of tell it's a whole lot of bullshit since I've played my share of RPG's over the years.

I really REALLY hope something changes in the course of online popular media journalism and algorithms in general because like I said all of the above has really become a noticeable problem in Covid times in general.

Yeah 100%. I feel so annoyed that if I want an actual rundown of a character I need to join a character specific discord. It loving sucks

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Re: fireflies....they are a pain in the rear end to actually catch on PS4, but if they despawn before you can grab them, you can try logging out/in or warping away. Like crystalflies, this should reset the ones that got away. If you do any kind of grinding (ore runs, artifact route, wood, etc) it helps to set the in game time to night and just grab any along your way.

And for all of the new players, once you've got all of the Liyue teleporters unlocked you might want to look up an artifact farming route. These are sparkling inspect points that drop 1-2 artifacts. Most of them are in Liyue, and can net you enough exp in a single run to take a 4* artifact from 0 to +5-8 for zero resin.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xun posted:

Yeah 100%. I feel so annoyed that if I want an actual rundown of a character I need to join a character specific discord. It loving sucks

keqingmains seem to be centralizing their stuff a bit better than when they just had a google doc of links to other google docs, since they have a site now: https://keqingmains.com/

seo is definitely awful for searching genshin stuff that isn't just item/resource locations, but i guess i just got used to looking on youtube and reddit for stuff that it didn't bother me too much.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Danakir posted:

Yeah the first time I fought that thing I was a little under-leveled still for World 3 level by the time I first started worrying about bosses and it completely kicked my rear end since it has a lot more mechanics than any of the other regular bosses. Now I've got it down to a science with Fischl and Kaeya. I'll just say that Fischl is really loving good for that fight if you have her because she can shred those annoying flying birds with her charged arrows and Oz can really mess up the ground enemies and you can just move him around as you need to take full advantage of his AoE's too. Kaeya can freeze and do a little extra crowd control with the beefier ground stuff if it gets out of control and then I usually switch to Fischl when she has a burst ready so she can take advantage of superconduct and the guaranteed electromagnetic reactions to overwhelm any of the bullshit healing. At that point you mostly just have to watch out for the enemies exploding on you and insta-kill attacks.

Right now the Geo Hypostasis probably takes me the longest to get through cause of those pillars it hides above that only take significant damage to Geo, but since I got Ningguang and hopefully once I get Noelle up to speed it's become less and less of a problem. I kind of figure Noelle will ultimately be the ideal character for taking down the pillars quickly but she's nowhere near ready to take part in serious fights for me just yet.

Also at first I thought the Oceanid had that one does every single sexy MILF character ever voice actor in Japan that's been around forever and is in her like mid 50's or something but has the joke that she's eternally 17 years old, but apparently that's actually Alice from the most recent event, which as soon as I figured out what was going on with the Dodo-King I was like "yeah okay that makes sense".

e: Kikuko Inoue that's it, was blanking for a bit.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 19, 2021

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Ningguang kinda sucks for fighting the geo cube imo, she won't beat a claymore at taking down pillars

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kale posted:

Right now the Geo Hypostasis probably takes me the longest to get through cause of those pillars it hides above that only take significant damage to Geo, but since I got Ningguang and hopefully once I get Noelle up to speed it's become less and less of a problem. I kind of figure Noelle will ultimately be the ideal character for taking down the pillars quickly but she's nowhere near ready to take part in serious fights for me just yet.

Hi, I'm actually qualified to give advice for once since I spent a few months grinding that boss exclusively so I could ascend every Geo character up to 5!

I'm pretty sure you're not planning on bringing her with you but still, don't bring Ningguang. She literally cannot do any damage to it because she does nothing but geo damage. If you're good at dodging the attacks- I fought it like 40 times, I know how they all work by heart now- you can just bring Noelle no matter how weak she is and just wail on the pillars to weaken them for when it teleports to it and then break it immediately. Also once again, Razor's burst takes out the last 3 it summons when you deplete it's health bar in one combo.

Alternatively, ask for help in the discord and watch it explode in 11.3 seconds.

Kale
May 14, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Hi, I'm actually qualified to give advice for once since I spent a few months grinding that boss exclusively so I could ascend every Geo character up to 5!

I'm pretty sure you're not planning on bringing her with you but still, don't bring Ningguang. She literally cannot do any damage to it because she does nothing but geo damage. If you're good at dodging the attacks- I fought it like 40 times, I know how they all work by heart now- you can just bring Noelle no matter how weak she is and just wail on the pillars to weaken them for when it teleports to it and then break it immediately. Also once again, Razor's burst takes out the last 3 it summons when you deplete it's health bar in one combo.

Alternatively, ask for help in the discord and watch it explode in 11.3 seconds.

Yeah this has strictly turned into a matter of until Noelle is ready to go since I expect to be just be able to hold attack and windmill them to death with Noelle. I just need her to ideally not die in the process since she currently has maybe 3,000 HP and since her abilities are tied to her HP it seems I just plan on pumping that up through the roof for her on artifacts.

Basically when I got the new 4 characters I chose to focus on Diluc since he's my first 5 star and Ningguang since she seems pretty good and I dig her whole vibe. I was actually kind of lamenting that I didn't have her after finishing the Liyue arc and got really really loving lucky on my acquaint fate pulls. I heard she's not exactly a common pull. It's also kind of weird that the de facto leader of the city and faction you team up with for that arc is a 4 star and her subordinates are 5 stars though and Jean is a 5 star while a good chunk of the subordinates are 4 stars. Like just character design and story role/lore wise she doesn't seem like the kind of character they'd have made a 4 star but what do I know.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 19, 2021

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pillar cracking (and indeed all damage to elemental health bars) is not affected by any sort of scaling. A naked lvl 1 noelle will crack pillars just as well as a lvl 90 noelle with maxed artifacts. Just bring another dps to actually do HP damage to the hypostasis once the pillar is down.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Kale posted:

Yeah this has strictly turned into a matter of until Noelle is ready to go since I expect to be just be able to hold attack and windmill them to death with Noelle. I just need her to ideally not die in the process since she currently has maybe 3,000 HP and since her abilities are tied to her HP it seems I just plan on pumping that up through the roof for her on artifacts.

Noelle's abilities are tied to DEF not HP. She can heal with her E skill, but everything is going to use her DEF for calculating. Diona is the healer/shielder who uses HP for her stats.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Kale posted:

Yeah the first time I fought that thing I was a little under-leveled still for World 3 level by the time I first started worrying about bosses and it completely kicked my rear end since it has a lot more mechanics than any of the other regular bosses. Now I've got it down to a science with Fischl and Kaeya. I'll just say that Fischl is really loving good for that fight if you have her because she can shred those annoying flying birds with her charged arrows and Oz can really mess up the ground enemies and you can just move him around as you need to take full advantage of his AoE's too. Kaeya can freeze and do a little extra crowd control with the beefier ground stuff if it gets out of control and then I usually switch to Fischl when she has a burst ready so she can take advantage of superconduct and the guaranteed electromagnetic reactions to overwhelm any of the bullshit healing. At that point you mostly just have to watch out for the enemies exploding on you and insta-kill attacks.

Also at first I thought the Oceanid had that one does every single sexy MILF character ever voice actor in Japan that's been around forever and is in her like mid 50's or something but has the joke that she's eternally 17 years old, but apparently that's actually Alice from the most recent event, which as soon as I figured out what was going on with the Dodo-King I was like "yeah okay that makes sense".

e: Kikuko Inoue that's it, was blanking for a bit.

Honestly just use Noelle with a decent level Claymore and stack defense artifacts on her. I've done geocube level 91 with her at 60. Bring along someone who can do non-geo DPS (I've used Bennet/Fischl and Bennett/Rosaria) for attacking it when you knock it off a pillar.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I was going to mention using Noelle's ult to 3 shot the pillars in the recovery phase and I realized I honestly don't know how many normal hits they take because I've always done that since the very first time I've fought it.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Kale posted:

Not sure how helpful this'll be, but you can actually shoot the Geo Hypostasis on top of its pillars for direct HP damage with charged shots and bypass that part of the fight entirely.

This makes the whole fight extremely trivial with my Ganyu.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Danakir posted:

Not sure how helpful this'll be, but you can actually shoot the Geo Hypostasis on top of its pillars for direct HP damage with charged shots and bypass that part of the fight entirely.

This makes the whole fight extremely trivial with my Ganyu.

I actually just did the achievement for getting the hypostasis into recovery phase without destroying a pillar and let me say if you don't have an OP archer like Ganyu then it's an absolute nightmare. The amount of time it spends vulnerable is very low so if you can't do massive burst damage it takes forever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kale posted:

Basically when I got the new 4 characters I chose to focus on Diluc since he's my first 5 star and Ningguang since she seems pretty good and I dig her whole vibe. I was actually kind of lamenting that I didn't have her after finishing the Liyue arc and got really really loving lucky on my acquaint fate pulls. I heard she's not exactly a common pull. It's also kind of weird that the de facto leader of the city and faction you team up with for that arc is a 4 star and her subordinates are 5 stars though and Jean is a 5 star while a good chunk of the subordinates are 4 stars. Like just character design and story role/lore wise she doesn't seem like the kind of character they'd have made a 4 star but what do I know.

Oh well if you have Diluc then you don't even need to bring Noelle to break the pillars anyway.

Ningguang is probably a 4* character because when the game released there were only three options. Her, Noelle and the Traveller if you decided to use Geo instead of Anemo. They probably thought it needed more padding out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Philthy posted:

Anyhows, I'm boating around loving this island content. I find it hard to believe they would simply remove this after X amount of days, there is a lot of amazing stuff here.

It seems that the samurai robot boss gives some ascension material that no one can use yet, which seems to imply that it will stick around.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the islands are temporary. they just put the Kenki and ganoderma there so you can farm the ascension stuff that Kazuha needs before they actually release Inazuma (where both of these have permanent homes).

tpg0007
Aug 4, 2009

Xun posted:

Dreamy's indepth character guides are decent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UkRw-OuGb4. Also the r/<character>Mains subreddits usually have good guides pinned.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm playing Honkai, which is a fun game more should try it

kater fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 20, 2021

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

kater posted:

I'm playing Honkai, which is a fun game more should try it, and I really do not think there's any connection to Genshin beyond 'cool stuff the dev likes'.

Honestly while these giant loredump posts are kinda fun, trying to make all these connections and insisting that Honkai and Genshin are this convoluted overly connected shared world is... weird. Like yeah, they share themes and looks and archetypes, lots of game devs do that. Not everything needs to be a giant shared universe.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Tarezax posted:

Does elemental mastery affect how fast elemental damage brings down shields?

I notice using 0 dmg barbara she can bring down shields fast. I have her elemental mastery at 345 with a catalyst that's 40+ levels below my other weapons.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Nothing affects how fast elemental damage brings down (enemy) shields. Every elemental attack has a fixed elemental application value that is used to determine how much shield damage it does.

Barbara brings down fire shields super fast no matter what her gear or levels are, because she has pretty good water application on her attacks.

Edit: there's also what damage type the particular shield is vulnerable too, like pyro mage shields are immune to fire and are extra weak to water, or how fatui electrohammer shields take very little from element except cryo

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 20, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kater posted:

I'm playing Honkai, which is a fun game more should try it, and I really do not think there's any connection to Genshin beyond 'cool stuff the dev likes'.

Yeah like Fischl (Understandable) and Kequing (what)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQl0YVKleGk

So I was two months into the game and still f2p before I actually got a 5* character. Has anyone got a write up or anything of who's great to have early game? I mean Zhongli's obviously good now but I wouldn't know any advantages of say, Mona for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is Honkai mission-based instead of open world? I’ve been considering trying it out just as something to play around with on the side.

Does it have controller support on mobile, out of curiosity? I mostly play Genshin on PC but I’ve been using an Xbox controller to play on iPhone when doing dailies on the couch and it’s pretty nice.