Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Supradog posted:

It has done 67700km. Zero service history as the last owner bought it for the looks, and used it very little the last 2 years. He had no info at all about it mechanics wise.
From the looks of it it has been cosmetically refreshed some time ago, most likely after the bigger off it had, which broke the original front fairing, tweaked the tank mount and handle bar a little on one side.

So yeah, looks like I might have to look into rings, cylinders and valve guides. Not had the need to do that on a bike before.
5th gear sounds fine, no issues.

Oh well, I was blinded by looks, another mechanical hurdle to tackle.
There has been a lot of small PO strangeness here and there on it. Homebrew exhaust, battery mounted back to front, leaky tank, melty indicator because of the homebrew exhaust, coffe brake fluid, rpm wire breaking, headlight bulb jammed in wrong, seat/fairing/tank bolts all random lenght and type of head.

You mentioned you discovered Kedo, a great source for stuff on these bikes. I think you can get everything for a rebuild there, they will also do it for you for $$$. My dad had your exact same bike for a while, it had a Laser exhaust which sounded nice. He also had a new manifold fabbed up so he could run a single Sportster carb, it had a 90 degree bend with the air filter sticking out the side. I think his main PO fuckery was that he had to have the spark plug hole timeserted.
Kedo also sell a handy tool for valve adjustments. https://www.kedo.com/products/30220.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

I have an Abba Sky Lift, and to be honest, you probably don't want one. I got it specifically because it allows you to wheel a bike around while it's on the lift, which is nice when you don't have a dedicated space for a lift and have to move stuff out of the way so your wife can park in her part of the garage.

Functionally it works for most things, but it works by clamping pins into the bike's swingarm pivots, so you can't use it for anything involving removing a swingarm. When you buy one, you have to specify what bike you have and they'll send a set of pins that fit. Multiple bikes? You need multiple sets of pins. Single-sided swingarm? There's a delrin spool - extra charge - that plus into your rear hub to hook a strap onto so the bike stays level when you lift it (on bikes with regular swingarms, the strap can be hooked to spools used with rear stands).

The hydraulics for the Sky Lift will block you from easy access to one side of the bike, which can be a pain in the rear end. I have never once found a need to lift the bike in either "wheelie" or "stoppie" position. Looks neat in promo photos, largely useless in real life.

For general use, a standard table lift would be the most functional way to go, assuming you have the space for it. And it doesn't need you to keep track of a collection of gewgaws and adapters or buy new ones every time you buy a new bike.

Bummer. Seems like a perfect lift if you're one of those weird people who only wants one bike.

One other thing to note is that with a table lift you have very easy access to all fluids. With a center type lift you might block your access to oil or coolant drain points.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Supradog posted:

So yeah, looks like I might have to look into rings, cylinders and valve guides. Not had the need to do that on a bike before.

https://bultaco.proboards.com/thread/475

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supradog posted:

Anyone know whats the normal level of oil consumption on a 1988 3AJ xt600 engine?

My "new" tenere looks to be using a bit of oil, at the level of 1liter /1000km - 1 quart -620miles. I assume this is a bit much.
The engine runs fine, and I've not seen any seepage of that magnitude. No visible smoke but my brother commented that the exhaust is a little smelly.

As I've only used the bike for like 600km yet I think I'll monitor the situation and get a compression tester.

Usually you can smell ring problems from the oil seeping up into the combustion area. Might need to identify if the smell is “rich carburetor” or “burning oil”

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Ohh, thanks!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

The hydraulics for the Sky Lift will block you from easy access to one side of the bike, which can be a pain in the rear end.

Hmmm that might be the biggest point against them, but my garage is tight so easily moved around is a positive

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah really only a table solves that problem, or, the super janky option, hanging the bike from the rafters, which I’ve done.

It’s sketch but it works.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Years ago, my father purchased an old engine lift which we used to take the engine out of a Dodge Dart. When I had to work on my bike one day and discovered that my hydraulic jack no longer worked, I used the engine lift to hoist the bike up.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What I really need is a table lift and the sky lift, plus more space. So it's possible to achieve motorcycle nirvana, I just need more time, space, money, and a younger body so it doesn't hurt to bend over a bike for hours.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finally digging out the busted GPX250 to pull it apart and see what I can see.

Shop told me there's no compression on cylinder 1. When I'm trying to turn the engine over by hand, with the cam cover off and the plugs out, it seems unusually stiff on the intake stroke of cylinder 1, compared to the other 540° of travel. Would that tell me anything about what might be up, or would I need to get the top end off to know more?

e/ to be clear I'm just curious, I have no intention of expending the effort required to fix this pile, and probably don't have the skill in any case.

Also when I went to remove the right muffler (to get the back brake out, to make the bike easier to move, because it's seized) as soon as I took the bolt out, this happened:

*clang*

This is pretty indicative of the general state of the bike. I'll be lucky if I don't have to pay someone to take it off my hands.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 16, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This chain tool kit is on sale, $50 down from $90 https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/stockton-chain-breaker-and-rivet-tool-kit?sku_id=1124052

Do y'all think it's worth a buy? I've been meaning to get a chain tool for a while, but I haven't actually needed one yet. And I've never used one so I don't even know what to look for.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Finally digging out the busted GPX250 to pull it apart and see what I can see.

Shop told me there's no compression on cylinder 1. When I'm trying to turn the engine over by hand, with the cam cover off and the plugs out, it seems unusually stiff on the intake stroke of cylinder 1, compared to the other 540° of travel. Would that tell me anything about what might be up, or would I need to get the top end off to know more?

e/ to be clear I'm just curious, I have no intention of expending the effort required to fix this pile, and probably don't have the skill in any case.

Also when I went to remove the right muffler (to get the back brake out, to make the bike easier to move, because it's seized) as soon as I took the bolt out, this happened:

*clang*

This is pretty indicative of the general state of the bike. I'll be lucky if I don't have to pay someone to take it off my hands.

That's really not conclusive at all. Try taking out the cams so you aren't working against valve spring pressure, but really if you want to *know* what's wrong with it, and they aren't bullshitting you, you've got to take the head off. Or borrow a compression tester and see for yourself.

FBS posted:

This chain tool kit is on sale, $50 down from $90 https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/stockton-chain-breaker-and-rivet-tool-kit?sku_id=1124052

Do y'all think it's worth a buy? I've been meaning to get a chain tool for a while, but I haven't actually needed one yet. And I've never used one so I don't even know what to look for.

I have this or something very similar/from the same factory in china, it works pretty well on most chains.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

That's really not conclusive at all. Try taking out the cams so you aren't working against valve spring pressure, but really if you want to *know* what's wrong with it, and they aren't bullshitting you, you've got to take the head off. Or borrow a compression tester and see for yourself.

I at least confirmed there's no compression on #1 because I put both sparks plugs back (just finger tight, not fully torqued), and could hear #2 hissing from air escaping around the crush washer while #1 was totally silent.

But yeah I figured it'd take more digging. Doubt I'll bother though, I'm reasonably sure it's a burnt valve since they were maladjusted when it broke, and the specific event that broke it was running out of fuel while pushing redline.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If you were debating a 2021 model year bike (hypermotard) and you could get a 2021 model with 1,200 miles at a discount of $2k off the purchase price and $1k off the destination + setup, would you go for the new or used bike? Part of me wonders if someone got a lemon and returned it, but it could have just not been what they were looking for so who knows why the bike is back on sale so soon. I've never actually purchased a new car or bike so you can probably guess where I'm leaning, and I believe it has a two year warranty so even if someone bought it in late 2020 I should still have plenty of time under warranty.

It's still more than I want to spend on a bike though so we'll see, not that any bikes are particularly cheap right now.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Buy the used, cheaper one.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Buy neither. With Slavvy waxing lyrical on them, and going from 2 to 1 bikes, I don’t think it’ll take much to push me over the edge to buy one.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

But if I buy one you'll still have another one available to buy? Although this could be a good way to speed up the process, I can just tell my wife that SA poster Horse Clocks is about to buy MY bike and I need to go buy it even though I can't use a clutch right now. Although with an up/down quickshifter I really only have to worry about taking off from a stop.

Steakandchips posted:

Buy the used, cheaper one.

I did the math and the mileage on the bike is like if I did my usual Saturday morning canyon ride for 3 months while paying $230 in depreciation each time. Seems like a pretty good deal.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 19, 2021

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Had my stock exhaust off and back on, replaced the exhaust gaskets in the process, but I must have hosed something up because there’s smoke everywhere. Exhaust leak? Exhaust note sounds normal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5g2fnvr27wdn6z/Video%20Jun%2019%2C%209%2008%2001%20AM.mov?dl=0

The OEM gaskets were installed flush in the exhaust ports so I’m not sure what I did wrong. Smoke seems to be coming from various places. First time messing with an exhaust system, so I’m not sure what’s ok/bad/terrible.

epswing fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 19, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It won’t smoke from exhaust gaskets. Did you get oil or some other solution on the exhaust? Could be that burning off

E: yeah watched the video, that looks like crap burning off the exhaust to me

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 19, 2021

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I used brake cleaner and pb blaster earlier, could’ve had those on my gloves while wrestling the mufflers off and touched various parts. I guess that’d do it.

epswing fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 19, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It's likely the oil burning off from the pb blaster. Worrisome smoke would be thicker and coming from where the gaskets/connections are if you had a leak. That looks almost like steam coming off the middle of the pipe where there is no way for air to escape which is why I would suggest it's just oil/stuff burning off. Hit it with some cleaner and take it for a ride and see if it still does it later.

Verman fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 19, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What ebike is this? One of the Zeros?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It’s an Energica. Not a Zero.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thanks, there aren't even that many ebike manufacturers but I gave up trying to figure it out. In related news, I'm amazingly bad at identifying bikes. Even other people riding the same model as my bike. I don't have that issue with cars so I have no idea why my brain can't do it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I PB Blastered my header nuts recently and a small amount of PB Blaster can smoke and stink for a surprisingly long time

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Questions thread: blasted my pipe and nuts, now they stink

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Questions thread: blasted my pipe and nuts, now they stink

Make it happen Jim!

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
So I made a terrible decision and bought someone else's cafe racer. Can anyone identify this front end? I'd like to look at my options for fenders.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Can we see the whole bike please?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah you need to post way more.

You'll struggle to just find something that fits because that appears to be a zx6/gsxr fork with a cruiser tyre of totally wrong dimension. Just stunning levels of clueless stupidity on display in those images alone, really want to see what other wonders await.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy please rate

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks, there aren't even that many ebike manufacturers but I gave up trying to figure it out. In related news, I'm amazingly bad at identifying bikes. Even other people riding the same model as my bike. I don't have that issue with cars so I have no idea why my brain can't do it.

if you zoom in, you can see "Energica" stamped/lettered onto that motor housing behind the chain

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Slavvy please rate

This is honestly not so bad. Putting aside all questions of style and just looking at the machine itself, the only things really wrong with it are the handlebars and rear suspension, it looks like it has gently caress all clearance and the swingarm is in pro-squat territory, but it might just be perspective. And ok the seat isn't ideal. Judging by the tyre it's been built for burnouts? It wouldn't be any good for much else. Also wtf is happening with that gear shifter.

Like, I want to build a sportster one day and it probably wouldn't look too different to that, aesthetic decisions aside.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

if you zoom in, you can see "Energica" stamped/lettered onto that motor housing behind the chain

Which seems really obvious now that it's pointed out, but I didn't notice it at all before. I also didn't realize it says energica above the kickstand so I guess I had multiple chances to figure this out. I'm not very up to date on my ebike manufacturers though so once I was reminded they existed I had a "oh yeah" moment but off the top of my head I wouldn't have remembered they existed.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

This is honestly not so bad. Putting aside all questions of style and just looking at the machine itself, the only things really wrong with it are the handlebars and rear suspension, it looks like it has gently caress all clearance and the swingarm is in pro-squat territory, but it might just be perspective. And ok the seat isn't ideal. Judging by the tyre it's been built for burnouts? It wouldn't be any good for much else. Also wtf is happening with that gear shifter.

Like, I want to build a sportster one day and it probably wouldn't look too different to that, aesthetic decisions aside.

It's someone's track bike which is kind of hilarious. Yeah the shifter is incredible. How can you tell it has pro-squat without seeing the chain? Just familiar enough with the engine? The little brake line T at the front look a little questionable to me, but I guess it works.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Oops

So what are the chances I can just grab that with some vice grips and get it out of there? I'm at work where that's about the most specialized tool I'll be able to find

Edit: I heard it break right as I was giving The Wave to a guy on a Harley

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 20, 2021

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:whitewater:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

It's someone's track bike which is kind of hilarious. Yeah the shifter is incredible. How can you tell it has pro-squat without seeing the chain? Just familiar enough with the engine? The little brake line T at the front look a little questionable to me, but I guess it works.

I looked at it on a bigger screen and yeah, it's just perspective + the partly red springs making me think the shocks were shorter than reality. It probably handles pretty well. The screwed together brake line is questionable yeah.

Dog Case posted:

Oops

So what are the chances I can just grab that with some vice grips and get it out of there? I'm at work where that's about the most specialized tool I'll be able to find

Edit: I heard it break right as I was giving The Wave to a guy on a Harley

50/50 whether you'll get it out or mangle it enough to make non-violent extraction impossible. For the best possible chance soak it in penetrating oil and then blowtorch.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
^ and a good set of vise grips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Same thing happened to me, but on the other stud. (Suzuki used bolts for the exhaust header later on.)

It's still a nub. Exhaust header is held in with one bolt.