Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The perfidious webdevs are who you're looking for. Always causing trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Apparently Dido Harding's pitch for why she should run NHS England is that she would reduce the NHS' reliance on foreign-born staff.
An idea so staggeringly stupid - honestly, it's quite possibly the most stupid thing I've ever heard someone say when they want to be taken seriously - that it's hard to imagine her having a sensible idea now that I've heard it.

Incredibly racist, too, but that's just par for the course for the bunch of cunts running the country at the moment.

There is a perfectly sensible way to do it - massively improve wages, reinstate (and raise) the bursary for nursing students so they're not being forced to pay to get their job, and just generally stop treating the NHS like poo poo so the pool of available candidates is large enough we don't have to poach talent from less-developed nations.

What she actually means is she'll outsource all the work to companies that will then employ the foreigners so she can point at a graph showing the Pure English Bloodlines of NHS staff, which by that point will consist of her, three PAs, and 10,000 contractors from PWC.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

get_iplayer definitely does but I dunno if you really want to send a neophyte into that maelstrom of Perl and weirdo Linux stuff.

(There was a UI wrapper for it a while ago but I can't find it now, or at least not one that doesn't give me "Why is my computer suddenly mining bitcoin?" vibes)

e: Also get_iplayer downloads it to an m4a instead of mp3, presumably for weirdo linux reasons, and while most mp3 players will play those files it's not *guaranteed*.
As a Linux Weirdo, I'd forgotten it was perl as it Just Works on Linux.

ps. Perl rocks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah the most important bits of my volunteering stint yesterday (at least important to me) - not only did I get a free t-shirt with both the NHS logo and the West Ham badge on it, meaning I never need wear another item of clothing, I actually got to walk on The Carpet around the pitch at London Stadium, a much bigger thing than getting to walk on some boring old grass.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

crispix posted:

nobody really wants to talk about it!!!!!! :ssh: ;-*

disgusting

The right wing press would love to talk about it! The only thing that has been holding them back slightly is as Corbyn is not a muslim it confuses their narrative somewhat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

ps. Perl rocks.

TBH I'm in an entirely different subspecies of weirdo because I use it on Windows, spending *way* too much time banging my head against the weird semi-broken dependencies.

Also, as someone who once had to create and maintain some Perl for money (albeit only as a tiny part of my job) Perl loving sucks, but then so do all programming languages that don't have line numbers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH I'm in an entirely different subspecies of weirdo because I use it on Windows, spending *way* too much time banging my head against the weird semi-broken dependencies.

Also, as someone who once had to create and maintain some Perl for money (albeit only as a tiny part of my job) Perl loving sucks, but then so do all programming languages that don't have line numbers.

About 35 years ago I had to use Prolog. Does that count as a weird language? Took me weeks to get my head around it after Fortran, Pascal and C/C++. Can't remember much about it now.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There is a perfectly sensible way to do it - massively improve wages, reinstate (and raise) the bursary for nursing students so they're not being forced to pay to get their job, and just generally stop treating the NHS like poo poo so the pool of available candidates is large enough we don't have to poach talent from less-developed nations.

What she actually means is she'll outsource all the work to companies that will then employ the foreigners so she can point at a graph showing the Pure English Bloodlines of NHS staff, which by that point will consist of her, three PAs, and 10,000 contractors from PWC.

And as the People Who Know These Things are pointing out on Twitter today, the lead time on these home-grown medical staff is measured in (appreciable fractions of) decades, and involves far more than just creating some bigger lecture halls at universities.

As you say, one of those weird ones where the actual goal is ok (both from the poaching aspect, and the why-not aspect, since there are so many more presumably qualified applicants than places), but it's so clearly being approached from the evil side that it's going to be useless and/or harmful.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

About 35 years ago I had to use Prolog. Does that count as a weird language? Took me weeks to get my head around it after Fortran, Pascal and C/C++. Can't remember much about it now.

For the avoidance of doubt:

https://twitter.com/bbcmicrobot/status/1406589972157771778

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Was taught Prolog in first year uni back in 1995. It was the intro language to us before C++.
Thought it was fun to learn, even when our Chinese Prof had a really strong accent and we couldn't understand him.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Policy Idea: Doctors apprenticeships, 3 years on the job training for school leavers.

Salary range (16.5k - 19.5k London)

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
So I need some advice, and I'm hoping the big collective brains here would be able to help me. I've been running a fairly successful local left bookclub and we're coming up on our two year anniversary. At each anniversary I like to do a "where do we go from here" sort of thing and one of the clear problems we have is growth.

I've spent money on FB adverts and the like but the fact that we require people to buy each book (library partnership is out due to the political nature of the club) is undoubtably a potential issue for anyone wanting to come along. I'd love to have X number of additional copies for anyone if they wanted to request a copy, have one free, no questions or obligations. But like most things, doing so on a monthly basis is going to be a not insignificant personal cost. I'd know there are organisations that I could go to and get a small amount of support in exchange for various things. However, in order for me to feel able to go to these places (especially if they're going to give any amount of money) we really should exist in a formal, form, rather than just being a group that meets.

So, I'd really like to test the waters of what people think would be the most appropriate way of becoming a very small organisation with a potential bank account to manage any funds?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I sometime across old Fortran 77 at work. I loathe the ALLCAPS and lack of white space. I once had to work with one that literally had no blank lines in any of the files; everywhere were it would have made it more human readable, it either didn't have a black lines or a comment line full of stars.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That gives you a hell of a lot of nerd cred. Though I wouldn't ever publicly admit to knowing Prolog. Not because of some stigma, but because some insurance company or bank or government institution is going to be looking for anyone who knows an ancient language, and they won't take no for an answer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

UnquietDream posted:

So I need some advice, and I'm hoping the big collective brains here would be able to help me. I've been running a fairly successful local left bookclub and we're coming up on our two year anniversary. At each anniversary I like to do a "where do we go from here" sort of thing and one of the clear problems we have is growth.

I've spent money on FB adverts and the like but the fact that we require people to buy each book (library partnership is out due to the political nature of the club) is undoubtably a potential issue for anyone wanting to come along. I'd love to have X number of additional copies for anyone if they wanted to request a copy, have one free, no questions or obligations. But like most things, doing so on a monthly basis is going to be a not insignificant personal cost. I'd know there are organisations that I could go to and get a small amount of support in exchange for various things. However, in order for me to feel able to go to these places (especially if they're going to give any amount of money) we really should exist in a formal, form, rather than just being a group that meets.

So, I'd really like to test the waters of what people think would be the most appropriate way of becoming a very small organisation with a potential bank account to manage any funds?

'Bank account' could turn out to be the most difficult problem.
We found it very difficult to get a bank account for our Women's Forum of the local CLP - we had been allocated £5k budget to do as we saw fit with, not even the Co-op wanted to know. I can't recall which bank or building society in the end was willing to do the deed, but it turned out that the monthly charge they would have made would have eaten a significant proportion of our budget.
In the end we gave up and just became a budget line on the CLP budget.

I would explore what sort of accounts are possible with the budget you have in mind and see what setups they are looking for: maybe a 'club'?
The 'new' banks might be more approachable.
What you don't want is to tie up with a financial organisation that blocks your money. I know the solidarity fund has hit problems with paypal and I know of several small entrepreneurial organisations and charities (or, rather, charitable appeals) that have run into major problems with getting their money out of paypal.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 20, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Antigravitas posted:

That gives you a hell of a lot of nerd cred. Though I wouldn't ever publicly admit to knowing Prolog. Not because of some stigma, but because some insurance company or bank or government institution is going to be looking for anyone who knows an ancient language, and they won't take no for an answer.

Like I said, I can barely remember a thing about it: something about queuing and list processing LOL.
Mind you if they wanted to pay me to derust my gears at big salary £££ and WFH, I'd be happy to consider it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Also get_iplayer downloads it to an m4a instead of mp3, presumably for weirdo linux reasons, and while most mp3 players will play those files it's not *guaranteed*.
This was the most fun part about when torrenting was easier, having to track down the codec pack that 'everybody has anyway' after some spod discovers you can save 10mb by using hc.80124 instead of hc.80123a (the naming conventions of which are meaningless to most users because all they know is that this .mkv file works but this .mkv doesn't)

And then having to explain this to my dad so he can watch Lost.

More fun was trying to do it on Ubuntu, where you go from an environment designed to give off a 'see linux isn't so scary' vibe, to people on Quora telling you it's simple - you just need to forcibly disable this safety feature, then add this line of code to this system protected file, then manually force these files into these folders via command line code, and also if you get any of this wrong your system might not boot.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This was the most fun part about when torrenting was easier, having to track down the codec pack that 'everybody has anyway' after some spod discovers you can save 10mb by using hc.80124 instead of hc.80123a (the naming conventions of which are meaningless to most users because all they know is that this .mkv file works but this .mkv doesn't)

I still to this day strip all my new mp3 of their meta data.
Just to save that precious <1k in space.
And to ensure the name of the file shows up on winamp and not some random naming. Yes, winamp, still use it.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 20, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

happyhippy posted:

I still to this day strip all my new mp3 of their meta data.
Just to save that precious <1k in space.
And to ensure the name of the file shows up on winamp and not some random naming. Yes, winamp, still use it.

my man

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It really whips the llama's rear end!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Probably Just Works on WSL2 too :sun:

(Perl is uh a bit 90s retro by this point though)

MP3 issue might be that MP3 encoding used to be patented. Not since 2017 mind you but given it's written in Perl it's probably, uh, a bit older than that.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 20, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
winamp owns, actually

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ages ago I asked for an android app that would play mp3 albums with no gaps between songs and I forgot to say that foobar2000 seems to be doing the job admirably, so if it was one of you that recommended it, I am extremely grateful.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

nurmie posted:

winamp owns, actually

yes it does. Although I confess I've moved to musicbee recently. Still feels a bit weird and wrong.

At the start of lockdown I replaced my entire mp3 collection, which stretched back to the early 00s and were often, like, 96 or 128kbps and sounded awful. I dunno how I put up with it. Then when I had new 320 or FLAC replacements I lovingly attached high quality artwork to them and perfectly standardised all the band names and album names and dates and genres and song titles.

It was very satisfying and relaxing. I recommend tagscanner if you've got a lot of audio files to meticulously organise. Automates a lot of the process

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Jippa posted:

Random request. My dad asked me how he could listen to his bbc jazz radio shows away from his computer. I told him to buy a cheap mp3 player (because I thought you could just download the mp3's as podcasts). It seems for some stuff you can't (you need the app on a smart phone.

Is there a less legit way of ripping the stream from the bbc site to an mp3 that I could email him each week? I feel guilty now because he bought the mp3 player.

there's a thing called get_iplayer https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not just nursing students. The waiting times in the NHS are increasingly caused by a lack of physiotherapists, counsellors, cardiac physiologists, respiratory therapists, play therapists, pharmacists, hospital social workers and 101 other health carejobs that people forget about. If people can't get the preventative or follow-up treatment they need, they end up back at the GP or in hospital and the whole cycle starts again.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I uh did you read the last page of the thread? A github link is possibly not useful to some random dad.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What you should have done was place a cut at the point you knew it, so your brain would know to backtrack to that knowledge if ever you needed it again.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

'Bank account' could turn out to be the most difficult problem.

I would explore what sort of accounts are possible with the budget you have in mind and see what setups they are looking for: maybe a 'club'?

Cheers for this, it's hugely helpful, it does look like Club is the way to go, now just to see if A. I can get an ethical (ish) bank to do it and B. If everyone else is happy with that as a way forward.

I've done a quick estimate based on your post just so I'd know how much we'd be looking for and the first year it would have cost £340 to get four freely available copies of each book we looked at, the second year that increased to £453, blame newer books, and I think four is a good starting point given that some of the things I've done didn't have any additional take-up as a result.

Which, given the few other things I'd like i.e. commission a local artist, have some speakers, probably puts the annual turnover just over £600ish. Far, far, smaller than the 5k for the Women's Forum you mentioned, which I'm not sure if that'll means less or more problems. A few of the ones I've googled suggest they wouldn't charge any fee as long as I could point to a constitution and three signatories.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

yes it does. Although I confess I've moved to musicbee recently. Still feels a bit weird and wrong.

At the start of lockdown I replaced my entire mp3 collection, which stretched back to the early 00s and were often, like, 96 or 128kbps and sounded awful. I dunno how I put up with it. Then when I had new 320 or FLAC replacements I lovingly attached high quality artwork to them and perfectly standardised all the band names and album names and dates and genres and song titles.

It was very satisfying and relaxing. I recommend tagscanner if you've got a lot of audio files to meticulously organise. Automates a lot of the process
I ripped my entire collection using Media Player only to find that it's left a bunch of errors, so occasionally parts of the song will be replaced by digital noise for a ¼ of a second. Very annoying.

Is there a ripper that uses parity checking? iTunes has an error correction feature but I don't know if it's 100%

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She's on the tiktoks now Henry, look, no come and look!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

feedmegin posted:

I uh did you read the last page of the thread? A github link is possibly not useful to some random dad.

the guy said he was willing to email mp3s to his dad.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I ripped my entire collection using Media Player only to find that it's left a bunch of errors, so occasionally parts of the song will be replaced by digital noise for a ¼ of a second. Very annoying.

Is there a ripper that uses parity checking? iTunes has an error correction feature but I don't know if it's 100%

You know I don't know. I've not had to rip anything for a looong time. But there must be a decent one out there by now, surely

I've not used an optical drive for a looong time

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
heck, if the uk goon is a linux nerd he can probably use cron jobs and bash scripts to grab an mp3 and send it automatically to his dads mp3 player or something,

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This is what I use

https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lady Demelza posted:

Not just nursing students. The waiting times in the NHS are increasingly caused by a lack of physiotherapists, counsellors, cardiac physiologists, respiratory therapists, play therapists, pharmacists, hospital social workers and 101 other health carejobs that people forget about. If people can't get the preventative or follow-up treatment they need, they end up back at the GP or in hospital and the whole cycle starts again.

It's "population control".

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ooh, this looks very good, thankyou!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ooh, this looks very good, thankyou!

EAC is great and I've rescued music from some extremely scratched up CDs with it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Turns out if you ask Dan Hodges the same question every time he posts something stupid he will eventually respond

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1406581149451919365?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I can't get over that muslim anti-semitism briefing to the Mail. It's just such a stunningly stupid thing to do, even by the standards of the current leadership.

Who do you think it was, Hodge or Akehurst?