Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

I mean, wish granted they don't need to make any new ones after the money fountains of Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 76

im shocked they made any money at all from fallout 76 after that launch

Random Stranger posted:

If I cried at Ori, it was due to eye strain from rolling them so hard.

same except eye strain from the characters being so tiny and the particle effects being so bright. okami is also bright but at least the player character takes up more than 1% of the screen real estate

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fur20 posted:

im shocked they made any money at all from fallout 76 after that launch

it would be hard not to make money when they clearly didnt spend any money on development

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Lodin posted:

Oh that game is absolutely manipulative. I was only slightly drunk when I fired it up and the intro got me crying. Only other game that got me doing that was Silent Hill during the Lisa bit.

On that note, what are some games that have gotten you guys to cry?

I cried at the end of LISA and I still get choked up just thinking about it. That game gives you just enough comedy to paper over the crushingly depressing story, but when it drops that comedy and gets serious hoo boy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I cried at Bastion, Hades, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and Mass Effect, the first one, the Vigil scene. I'm sure there are more. I cry at everything though, especially as I get older.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Life is Strange, duh

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i cried at the end of Conways Game of Life

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i was genuinely surprised at how emotional i became when i had to make Sam cut the umbilical between Mama and her BT daughter in Death Stranding.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lodin posted:

On that note, what are some games that have gotten you guys to cry?

Paper Mario Origami King, of course

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres one of the 1,000 years of dreams short stories in Lost Odyssey that will always hit in a soft spot until I die.

drat shame the author of that wasn't the games story writer

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

cried when i was 11 and lost my corpse in everquest

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Theres one of the 1,000 years of dreams short stories in Lost Odyssey that will always hit in a soft spot until I die.

drat shame the author of that wasn't the games story writer

ehh video game stories for video games book stories for books. i thought it worked well together, i came for camp and got both it, AND fine literature.

which one is it? for me it's like all of them. i don't think i could play lost odyssey anymore... maybe i can. maybe i should

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So does 'autistic' mean beep boop robots or uncontrollable emotional meltdowns now

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

in this case, and in every case, it means trains

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This thread makes me cry.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fur20 posted:

ehh video game stories for video games book stories for books. i thought it worked well together, i came for camp and got both it, AND fine literature.

which one is it? for me it's like all of them. i don't think i could play lost odyssey anymore... maybe i can. maybe i should

Letters from a Weakling is I think the name but its about the mixed race couple.

Caesar Saladin posted:

in this case, and in every case, it means trains

The people who own all the DLC for Train Simulator and Selphie from Final Fantasy 8, it checks out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Investment is the biggest strength in video game stories, characters read a LOT differently when you've actually had some control and agency over their actions and choices, and they've been assets (or liabilities) to you. Like, there's a reason you have games like XCOM where 'emergent narrative' is the buzzword of the day and completely fitting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mac and Cheese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR0CO7vToqE

idk it's just sappy and disgusting
i can't stand it
autistic was probably the wrong term i fully acknowledge and appreciate math rock

probably not the best term to use, but if it makes you feel any better I hate this too and it makes me want to play the game less even if I hear it's good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I beat both those games and couldn't tell you where the gently caress that song happens, but I can tell you they have unskippable cutscenes and horrible platformer chase sequences so whatever stupid reviewer idiots gave them 90+ scores are mother flipping wrong

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I hope STALKER 2 is just as difficult and unforgiving, if not more so, than the original.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I dunno about STALKER 2. I don't remember just Kramering into a warehouse full of bad guys and unloading the magazine from the hip.

The first STALKER poo poo on you for going into the game with that mindset. The first job you got was to clear out a warehouse with some guys but you could tell them you want to handle it on your own. They'll make fun of you and let you do it, but considering you got a lovely pistol and a knife and cardboard for armor, the odds are low of you surviving it.

Of course come the endgame that goes out the window when you got high quality gear and powered armor, so their bullets do jackshit to you while you're 360 no-scoping bandits.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mac and Cheese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR0CO7vToqE

idk it's just sappy and disgusting
i can't stand it
autistic was probably the wrong term i fully acknowledge and appreciate math rock

Honestly it's not that bad. Just completely forgettable inoffensive twee

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Crying about your own actions as a youngling playing games is another good one: for me it was simcity on the snes. Ten years old me had completely filled a map, reached the status of megalopolis, and marveled at my utopia. But now I felt I could start a new one and go with what I learned. The thing about simcity for the snes was it was the type of game that only had two save slots, and the cursor defaulted to the first slot whenever you went for the save menu, which is where I had saved my megalopolis.

So of course after starting my new poo poo hole and having to go for lunch, I reflectivity saved over the megapolis and not the empty slot.

I think I cried for three hours bawling, my mother unable to understand what the hell had just happened, in between blurbs of “lost city” and “all that hard work!” Ended up being offered ice cream. A decent trade off.

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
I cried after beating mother 3 like 2 months ago... A very emotional game :(

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I played a couple of hours of Mother 3 a few years ago and then forgot about it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I do not cry at video games because I am too intelligent to get upset at a bunch of pixels do you fools not realize that those aren't real people on the screen they're made up just like astrology my myers briggs is intj by the way

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Crying? At ink? On paper?

Like, close the book dumb-dumbs. It’s not even real.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and this song made me do a cry when it hit while I was finishing up ME2 a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAcWuw2pDpo

It's actually making me slightly tear up right now. Now that's good manipulative music.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

flavor.flv posted:

I do not cry at video games because I am too intelligent to get upset at a bunch of pixels do you fools not realize that those aren't real people on the screen they're made up just like astrology my myers briggs is intj by the way

yeah but elon musk told me that our universe is a simulation too

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lodin posted:

Oh and this song made me do a cry when it hit while I was finishing up ME2 a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAcWuw2pDpo

It's actually making me slightly tear up right now. Now that's good manipulative music.

Video game/movie music is really good at evoking emotion when used properly. This is why it seems weird to me for people to mute story/singleplayer video games so they can talk to their friends while they play.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jokes posted:

Video game/movie music is really good at evoking emotion when used properly. This is why it seems weird to me for people to mute story/singleplayer video games so they can talk to their friends while they play.

Same as people who 'watch' TV and movies while mostly doing other stuff or just staring at their phones.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Story is bad for video games. It's not that the story itself is necessarily bad but games wasting time on story are generally worse for it. Griftlands is worse then Slay the Spire. Farcry is worse then Unreal Tournament (98 of course). Binding of Isaac (terrible story but doesn't take up much of the game) is better than Hades (endless dialog boxes but less interesting game play still good though). Story is generally just game filler. Really it's about the purity of video games.

There's never been a good story in a video game it's impossible when Diablo 3 exists.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Story is bad for video games. It's not that the story itself is necessarily bad but games wasting time on story are generally worse for it. Griftlands is worse then Slay the Spire. Farcry is worse then Unreal Tournament (98 of course). Binding of Isaac (terrible story but doesn't take up much of the game) is better than Hades (endless dialog boxes but less interesting game play still good though). Story is generally just game filler. Really it's about the purity of video games.

There's never been a good story in a video game it's impossible when Diablo 3 exists.

I had no idea John Carmack was posting on SA.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

games shouldn't have graphics either tbh

definitely no music

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Which is better?

Static portraits.

Looping animated portraits.

Limited emotive stills.

Anime style breathing (distorted still).

Computer Text Name.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Archer666 posted:

I had no idea John Carmack was posting on SA.

lol beaten

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
static portraits but with 4-6 exaggerated expressions

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fur20 posted:

static portraits but with 4-6 exaggerated expressions

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Graphics improve on the game experience. (ASCII is bad) As does sound to a lesser degree. Story can detract as it's generally taken away from game play. Like Stone

I think the problem is games refer to such a broad spectrum of things from Tetris to Detroit: Become Human. Adding story to Tetris would detract from the experience. While removing the story from Chrono Trigger would detract from the experience. I just don't like when games I enjoy the game play of takes me away from the game play.

The purity of video games have been tainted by the failures of other media. Can't hack it as an author? No problem make Sunless Seas/Skies. Which was suppose to be (in my mind) another Escape Velocity and super cool BUT NOOOO THE STORY ATMOSPHERE CAME FIRST. GOD DAMNIT YOU JACKASSES WHY WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE SO SLOW WHY.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 20, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Duck and Cover posted:

Graphics improve on the game experience. (ASCII is bad) As does sound to a lesser degree. Story can detract as it's generally taken away from game play. Like Stone

I think the problem is games refer to such a broad spectrum of things from Tetris to Detroit: Become Human. Adding story to Tetris would detract from the experience. While removing the story from Chrono Trigger would detract from the experience. I just don't like when games I enjoy the game play of takes me away from the game play.

The purity of video games have been tainted by the failures of other media. Can't hack it as an author? No problem make Sunless Seas/Skies. Which was suppose to be (in my mind) another Escape Velocity and super cool BUT NOOOO THE STORY ATMOSPHERE CAME FIRST. GOD DAMNIT YOU JACKASSES WHY WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE SO SLOW WHY.

Just depends what you want out of videogames, I suppose. There are some kinds of movie that too much story detracts from too. I love Sunless Skies but sometimes I just wanna play pure gameplay and that's fun also. My unpopular videogame opinion is that all videogames are valid, even the ones I don't like.

Except the one YOU like best, reader. That one's poo poo.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

games shouldn't have graphics either tbh

definitely no music

:hmmyes:
rogue-like supremacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

hi5 fellow story hater.