Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Martian posted:

-While running around on a random planet, I suddenly found 5 Starship AI valves in my inventory. I still have no idea where they came from. Worth 250 million spacebux, I guess I'm rich now?
Those are mine, I dropped them. Thanks for finding them for me, but can I have them back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I read your post and my eyes popped at 140 million, I thought I was rich at 15 million... but just kidding, just had a freighter battle and this beautiful red giant looking space church bus thing with 32 slots, A class... Instant buy! Psyche, turns out the first Freighter I took thats A class I was so excited about is total baby trash, a lil ship w 19 slots compared to this thing. I'm embarassed to summon my freighter near this thing. Can't we work out a payment plan?!? I make most of my money just scanning things I think lol. Gonna need to find a better way to get 115 million to buy this thing. This hurts to turn down.

I can't like... put this on hold or layaway can I? Welp, at least I think I know what I want know. The MEGABUS. Red is low tier colour anyway, I can find a yella one perhaps

edit: LOL the payment instead of this massive freighter is.... 300 chromatic metal thats not even the walk inside. I shouldnt even look at these ships till I got megamillions.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 20, 2021

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Spent like four hours trying to do the save scum thing for an S-class freighter and didn't realize the first free one offered is always a regular freighter, not a capital. Declined the first one, dicked around with Anomaly quests for a bit, did two reloads for the second freighter, and welp...

eSporks posted:

How do you get the living ships?

Do quests in the Anomaly for Quicksilver then buy a Void Egg for 3,200. Should take a few weeks to save up that much, but then it'll give you a questline to follow.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Axel Serenity posted:

Do quests in the Anomaly for Quicksilver then buy a Void Egg for 3,200. Should take a few weeks to save up that much, but then it'll give you a questline to follow.

You also get a "free" void egg as part of one of the main quests, but this is the way to go if you either don't want to do it (understandable) or want a different one.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Is it 8? Whenever I reach six it tells me I have to exchange ships.

I know there's 9 landing bays in your freighter but i've only gotten 5 ships filling it while the rest were on a station when a flurry of A class fighters landed. It was 3 ships in the station and 4 that were docked on my freighter, i flew 1 of the 5 out. I'll check it today.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So it is only 6 when ya buy it but i think if you claim crashed ships you can get 8.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
MY base got attacked yesterday as part of a quest, I was so annoyed when some of my important base crap got blown up. Not that much, just my portal, all my power gen, and a few portable machines here and there. Still annoying even for my janky ugly crap base with no real walls or fence. Plopped down some solar panels and batteries and drove away to get some more junk so I could even get inside my storage containers again. When I got back to base all my previously destroyed stuff was restored! But also my new stuff was still there so now i have a very crowded circular room with like a dozen solar panels and batteries and such.

Is there a spoil-free way to answer this: Do I need to pick an answer to Atlas and/or can I do both? Keep going to its stations, learning some language, then leaving without accept or refusing it's requests, I just don't know what it wants, and I have reason to be suspicious of it's motives and methods. Don't really trust Nada either though. Are these just two questlines and I'll be able to ultimately finish both or is this a dark side / light side choice or will things eventually become more clear. I'm slowly working my way towards galaxy center as I do missions and search for new ships.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 21, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Arghy posted:

I know there's 9 landing bays in your freighter but i've only gotten 5 ships filling it while the rest were on a station when a flurry of A class fighters landed. It was 3 ships in the station and 4 that were docked on my freighter, i flew 1 of the 5 out. I'll check it today.

I believe the freighter needs to keep 3 open slots for multiplayer. That's also why npc visitors won't land in your freighter if you have 6 ships.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I really hope the next big update has some upgrades for freighters including some sort of ship storage so you can have more than 6 ships. Maybe the storage would otherwise look like the item storage but you can pick which ships are available on the landing pads and which are only in storage.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

They need to just ditch the concept of a 'freighter' and make it a capital ship then add a shipyard where you scrap ships to get access to the bits and can create your own ship from scratch. Give capital ship missions that involve combat or resource collection, encourage the players to amass fleets of smaller ships with pilots so you could have haulers for industrial missions, fighters for combat missions, shuttles for evacuation missions, explorers for science missions. Use the sentinels as the main opfor with your capital ship engaging a sent capital trading fire while you have options to either command it all or go out in your ship.

Talk about an endgame time sink as it would require a massive resource investment to the point that those cromatic metal mines simply aren't enough. Add an entire new tech page for combat upgrades for your capital ships with a plethora of weapon options.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That definitely seems like something I hope for them to expand on in the next game if they're slowing down or reaching the limit on this one, instead of just procedural luck and save scumming, letting folks cobble together things. Heck, populating a galaxy or universe with player-creations a la spore mixed with the procedural stuff would be really cool. Even just basic ships, if you could swap out part or two would make it way easier to get the ship look that suits your fancy.

I wouldn't mind being stuck on a planet more or given more variety and depth in each one if you wanted to explore it more. A Valheim experience of rubbing sticks together to make an axe, fighting bosses and progressing... eventually building a medieval spaceship to get off your planet to explore it's moon or nearby planet, progressing there till you can reach the ends of your system and finally beat something there to start poking at nearby galaxies. NMS was super jarring, start off with a spaceship and scifi craftin' and tools. I bet if you focused you could be back on your ship exploring other galaxies in the first hour. You also really quickly get access to a freighter system and the anomaly and a bunch of other stuff that would've been cool to build up to and earn a little more in some way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Khanstant posted:

Is there a spoil-free way to answer this: Do I need to pick an answer to Atlas and/or can I do both? Keep going to its stations, learning some language, then leaving without accept or refusing it's requests, I just don't know what it wants, and I have reason to be suspicious of it's motives and methods. Don't really trust Nada either though. Are these just two questlines and I'll be able to ultimately finish both or is this a dark side / light side choice or will things eventually become more clear. I'm slowly working my way towards galaxy center as I do missions and search for new ships.
They're just two questlines. The Atlas path writing may make it sound like you're picking an option but it hasn't been revised since the only options in the game were do the Atlas quest or roam completely unguided.
You can refuse the Atlas forever, it will wait until you are ready to accept.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay, I was going to get some more Atlas language put together so II could at least know what it was asking or demanding of me. Just didn't want to sign up for his merry band of galaxy-killers or whatever by accident. Didn't know it was kind of the legacy core of the game, in general that iteration process explains a lot of the kind of jankiness between systems and quests. Also wish my communicator could call Nada, every other main quest wants me to freakin report in, which is worth it for the nanites, but they always give some cryptic vague non-opinion and then need to be alone for a while.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Why is the freighter teleporter one way only :psyduck:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Why does freighter storage only take from your personal suit inventory?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I love building bases but never touch my Freighter apart from throwing in a teleport and some storage. Let me go full custom with it, build rooms with glass windows surrounding the hangar bay, or entirely strip out the interior apart from floating walkways and staircases connecting rooms.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Martian posted:

Why is the freighter teleporter one way only :psyduck:

Why can't I teleport to the teleporter I build in my freighter??

I did the Atlas path yesterday and the Purge. Man, the former quest was a huge letdown, they really made it seem like You'd get to create a new star, I was so convinced I would get my own little system soon that I didn't even bother to save the names of several cool planets I coulda built a base on, thinking I'd start fresh with a brand new star that I got to make and pick out the details for. Nope! Just the abstract idea of making a new star. I understand the game already has more stars than anyone will ever see... but also so what, in that case, what's the harm in a several million more from players?

Oh well, got to the new galaxy, chose lush , was tempted to go for the one that had higher chance of "weird" planets but as neat as those are, they also seem to be kind of lame with only one or no animals and hardly any buildings.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
You teleport to space stations or bases you built, not the teleporters, and technically since you can't place a base computer down in your freighter it doesnt count as a teleportable destination.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Khanstant posted:

Why can't I teleport to the teleporter I build in my freighter??

This has been a requested feature long enough that I assume the tangled mess of code just wouldn't work.

quote:

I did the Atlas path yesterday and the Purge. Man, the former quest was a huge letdown, they really made it seem like

One of the problems with, potentially, millions of players across trillions of stars is that permanence and structure are meaningless. It's actually been cool to see how players have banded together to create the Hub in Euclid and created this sort of empire in a corner of the galaxy. Like the game itself defies two players ever meeting except during the specific multiplayer hub and people went out and mapped that poo poo so they could do it anyway. I always thought of moving in somewhere in the central area and moving my massive resource farm there just to put out something that other players could encounter but a structure and workload that massive is... yeah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh dang, that's a shame because the way you can build from storage in your freighter makes it the best base building method or for quick crafting. Making the recipe chain was so simple aboard my freighter with existing resource stockpiles. Was a couple dozen million short of this sweet black-and-technoteal spacebus, was ready to mash buy even though it was only B rank, still so much better than this fake-A rank thing I got to start.

What's y'alls one weird trick to make a bunch million credits fast? Sick of my ugly ship and baby freighter lol. Is there any more game after this point or is it all just base item and tech progress and building for the sake of it? Would be nice to have a second overarching quest but I guess there's nowhere else to go besides repeat cycle. Still, a cool base, ship, and freighter are something I want to have. Kind of regret wrapping up the story in one big burst, in my uglyass-but-decent scrap ship I got near start of game. Every cool ship I see is just too dang small, need 29+ to even think bout buying it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mailer posted:

This has been a requested feature long enough that I assume the tangled mess of code just wouldn't work.

One of the problems with, potentially, millions of players across trillions of stars is that permanence and structure are meaningless. It's actually been cool to see how players have banded together to create the Hub in Euclid and created this sort of empire in a corner of the galaxy. Like the game itself defies two players ever meeting except during the specific multiplayer hub and people went out and mapped that poo poo so they could do it anyway. I always thought of moving in somewhere in the central area and moving my massive resource farm there just to put out something that other players could encounter but a structure and workload that massive is... yeah.

Yeah I was going to ask if there was a little hub where goons tried to build near or anything like that. I've seen planets and animals discovered by other players, but never naturally stumbled on any installations, but geez, even if I landed on a inhabited place, planets are so big how would I ever randomly bump into it. I read an article there was a group that established a sector of space they built, then a patch messed it up and they relocated.

Honestly kind of wish that was the post-game quest: Just build up civs, encourage players to congregate on worlds and try to build up separate towns and villages on the same surface. Build communal highways and structures Death Stranding style. Building games like this always suck me in, but there's always a problem of discovery and meeting others. Like if each system or planet was it's own "Minecraft server" populated dynamically by other player communities, places you can travel and stumble into.

The nexus hub stuff is neat to see individual spotlit creations, but like, you can't go there and populate it with others of like mind or anything. You know that thing where fancy house havers will have a competition of prettiest lawn or garden or whatever, that but for the sprawling themed city a community built somewhere. Give winners who participated a special hat or ribbon.

Also was hoping to build our own Space Station at some point. It's really just a cool shape with a smallish couple of rooms inside, and I guess they stuff one in every system already (or do dead systems not have them, i forgot). Could be a big resource sink or even a community effort, WoW had a few pre-patch events for dungeons that involved servers pooling resources and grinding community quests to help a war effort or something. Anyway, I'm sure there's like 4 years of people who have been wishing and speculating on ways to expand the game and push it to the next level, just hope whatever their secret big project is next goes in that direction. I know they've said they don't wanna be stuck doing sequels like when boss man worked at EA -- but I want more of this experience but deeper and better and more communal/co-op interaction. Also something to fight, murdering a dozen animal quests were sad since they were defenseless, sentinel hunts are pretty easy, even the bgi chicken walkers almost always get themselves stuck on something and let you melt em down safely.

Valheim was so lowkey but doing it with a buddy, having a boss milestone to beat that naturally encouraged us to a) gather resources b) tech up c) build a base to make ourselves stronger and have an easier time crafting. Too many of the carrots on the stick in NMS were resource gathering to unlock another resource to gather or use. They also make a point of turning your sci-fi hammer and pickaxe into a gun, give so many types of guns and mods for guns... but you almost never need to shoot and the basic stuff you start with can basically handle all the pirates and sentinels you'll need to fight to get through. No Man's Valheim next, please.

Sickest moment of the game: Given cull and feed creature quests same time, meaning I'd feed an animal and earn it's trust then immediately laser yeet it away from me to distance myself from my ongoing sin.

edit: Was also surprised there was no null option, even if just a fake-out gameover you can reload or truly start over with.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2021

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Oh dang, that's a shame because the way you can build from storage in your freighter makes it the best base building method or for quick crafting. Making the recipe chain was so simple aboard my freighter with existing resource stockpiles. Was a couple dozen million short of this sweet black-and-technoteal spacebus, was ready to mash buy even though it was only B rank, still so much better than this fake-A rank thing I got to start.

What's y'alls one weird trick to make a bunch million credits fast? Sick of my ugly ship and baby freighter lol. Is there any more game after this point or is it all just base item and tech progress and building for the sake of it? Would be nice to have a second overarching quest but I guess there's nowhere else to go besides repeat cycle. Still, a cool base, ship, and freighter are something I want to have. Kind of regret wrapping up the story in one big burst, in my uglyass-but-decent scrap ship I got near start of game. Every cool ship I see is just too dang small, need 29+ to even think bout buying it.

So you can just sell resources that you mine from a planet like active indium and cadium but while that's low effort the money isn't too good for money. You can make stasis chambers and fusion igniters which require a big chain of blue prints to create but once you can you'll be making 300m for like 10 of them. I highly suggest raiding the factories to get the blue prints because once you get it down you can find them super fast. You just scan with your exovehicle for secure buildings then use your ship weapons to blow the doors before you land.

I'm at 3 bil credits and money isn't even an issue anymore haha i only craft stuff to make room.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Arghy posted:

I highly suggest raiding the factories to get the blue prints because once you get it down you can find them super fast. You just scan with your exovehicle for secure buildings then use your ship weapons to blow the doors before you land.

The newest update made these blueprints buyable at the anomaly. Thank loving god.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I was going to ask if there was a little hub where goons tried to build near or anything like that.

It could be done, all we need are some portal coordinates

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Being able to build a teleporter on your freighter was a bug that was patched out like three years ago and just silently popped back up again during an expansion.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I read that someone modded in being able to teleport to your freighter but it locked the location to where the teleporter was first placed. So once they moved their freighter, it teleported them to empty space.

It's probably a limitation in the way teleporters are coded that would be too difficult to fix.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

eSporks posted:

I read that someone modded in being able to teleport to your freighter but it locked the location to where the teleporter was first placed. So once they moved their freighter, it teleported them to empty space.

It's probably a limitation in the way teleporters are coded that would be too difficult to fix.

They just don't want to reveal that while we haven't actively called the freighter to our current system, that the freighter, its captain, and inventory simply ceases to exist.

By concocting the fiction that the freighter is following us in hops across the galaxy, instead of being obliterated and re-created with every summoning, they protect our psyches against the hundreds and thousands of murders of freighter crew committed by every player.

Reginald Barclay was right to fear our terrible machines.

// 16 16 16 16 //

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
what's the quickest way to get all the Hyperdrive upgrades necessary to visit any color star system? i've been restarting every year when there's a big update and only ever messed around randomly after the first ~2 hours of main progression. i'm happy to never have anything fancy with my ship/tool/vehicles but i'd really like to be able to go to any system asap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wait for the next expedition, they give you the top tier drive upgrade within about an hour.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Get nanites, buy blueprints from the anomaly, then make a Cadmium Drive from Chromatic Metal processed from Copper. Go to red star system, find Cadmium somewhere, mine enough to make an Emeril Drive. Go to a green star, find Emeril somewhere, mine enough to make an Indium drive.

It's been a long time since I've unlocked the anomaly and the process may have changed, but it was pretty early on from memory. You'll need cash for the wiring looms and nanites (which you get fastest from ship scrapping) but you can sit motionless in multiplayer on the anomaly and people will randomly throw valuable stuff at your inventory from what people here have said.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If you really need cash you can often just find someone's activated indium mine they made, grab 10,000,000,000 and sell it all for a few billion units and never worry about cash again for the most part.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
How often do expeditions happen?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

ZombieCrew posted:

How often do expeditions happen?

The first two happened one right after the other, but haven't heard about another one yet.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Just did the weekend mission and the NPC you're supposed to talk to is buried under a giant mountain that someone made and abuncha message drones are sitting buried under it. Saw one that said "goonswarm was here" and wanted to add some bitter vet jokes but it was so buggy i just left it.

My new fav thing is to create abuncha fusion igniters and stasis chambers then give them to new players in the anomaly.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

If you really need cash you can often just find someone's activated indium mine they made, grab 10,000,000,000 and sell it all for a few billion units and never worry about cash again for the most part.

That's the easiest way to get rich, but going through the entire artemis storyline to unlock portals is pretty slow if all you want is hyperdrive upgrades.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Note that when I tried to rush hyperdrives, it felt like inventory was a major issue. Having all the different materials required up front meant I had to toss a lot of things to make space for crafting.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

11 systems, landing and reloading on 59 planets later... I'm now the proud father of S-Class Pistol, Experimental and Alien tools! :toot:

That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Going by the number of podcasts I finished, I'm guessing 6 hours. Bonus of finding a planet littered with Knowledge Stones and learning Korvax, plus a crap ton of Units and Nanites from scanning 59 planets.
Way less monotonous than waiting around a trading post for an S-Class Fighter, I settled on an A-Class after waiting for 4 hours.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Finding a fancy multitool and a living ship is prolly the only thing driving me atm, i tried to have 2 multitools but honestly you only need the shotgun and pulsespitter so you can fit everything into 1 multitool. I really wanna get the resist stuff for my hazard suit though because i'm kinda over refilling multiple protection slots. I wanna see if i can pump up the resists and just utilize the same shield for all hazards.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I have several multitools not because I can't fit everything I want into one but because I don't like cycling through mining, terrain, and two different weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

eSporks posted:

Note that when I tried to rush hyperdrives, it felt like inventory was a major issue. Having all the different materials required up front meant I had to toss a lot of things to make space for crafting.

Rushing anything is pretty painful. There's a loose progression path and you should have more slots and stuff under your belt by the time you're pushing into that. I wanted to see how long it'd take to rush industry but at some point I estimated it'd be faster to rush portals than do that or pretty much anything else. Once you unlock those the entire game is just a matter of how much you're willing to click.