Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Do Vulcans draw on their cheeks a lot and I just never noticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Huh. I didn't know that. Not surprised about the rewrites, though, if stuff like Omega Glory is the result of Roddenberry writing an episode.
Roddenberry absolutely loved Omega Glory (it was one of his original episode concepts when he pitched the show) and IIRC submitted it for various writing awards. It was his Sixties version of "Spock shot JFK" - the idea he thought was so brilliant he just wouldn't leave it alone despite it being an obvious clunker.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Robert Justman said he wrote a letter outlining the problems with the Omega Glory script, but decided it was too cruel to send to Roddenberry; I imagine nobody wanted to be the guy to tell the boss that not only was the script he was so proud of in need of rewrites, but that the entire basic concept needed to be scrapped.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm 5 episodes into Voyager and uh....is this what it's like for the whole series? It's so loving boring.

Caretaker is a pretty decent pilot, Parallax is just a generic "weird space phenomenon". Time and Again continues the trend of all Prime Directive episodes being godawful - the actual moral question of "should we interfere with this planet-ending catastrophe" gets completely skirted, because the crew get sucked in unintentionally, and basically prevent the disaster through dumb luck.

Phage has a moderately interesting moral premise - how far would you go to save your race, what awful things would you do - except it only appears in the final 5 minutes. The rest of the episode is tedious fake-science about Neelix's lungs, or tedious fake-science about them tracking down a spaceship.

The Cloud is either fake-science or awful Native American mysticism and I gave up halfway through.

Eye of the Needle is....almost great. There's a nice sense of frantic hope as the crew try and figure out if they can actually get home. But it's insane to me that they did an episode about people sending a message home and we never see those messages. It seems tailor made for a character heavy plot, but like every other episode we have twice as much faffing around with nonsense as actual plot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm 5 episodes into Voyager and uh....is this what it's like for the whole series? It's so loving boring.

Caretaker is a pretty decent pilot, Parallax is just a generic "weird space phenomenon". Time and Again continues the trend of all Prime Directive episodes being godawful - the actual moral question of "should we interfere with this planet-ending catastrophe" gets completely skirted, because the crew get sucked in unintentionally, and basically prevent the disaster through dumb luck.

Phage has a moderately interesting moral premise - how far would you go to save your race, what awful things would you do - except it only appears in the final 5 minutes. The rest of the episode is tedious fake-science about Neelix's lungs, or tedious fake-science about them tracking down a spaceship.

The Cloud is either fake-science or awful Native American mysticism and I gave up halfway through.

Eye of the Needle is....almost great. There's a nice sense of frantic hope as the crew try and figure out if they can actually get home. But it's insane to me that they did an episode about people sending a message home and we never see those messages. It seems tailor made for a character heavy plot, but like every other episode we have twice as much faffing around with nonsense as actual plot.

Voyager is one giant string of decidedly mediocre episodes punctuated by the occasional really incredibly amazing episode but it is definitely the third place finisher in a three-man race between TNG, Deep Space Nine and itself. It gets better eventually, but it takes a while. I would not blame you one bit if you just skipped right to Scorpion, Part I. You'd only be missing like five good episodes, maybe?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes.

There a few good episodes each season but it really was a show where there was just no quality control and writers could submit scripts with 10 minutes of plot and 35 minutes of technobabble, so most of the episodes are just the mediocre to outright bad time fillers you describe

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Pretty much. There are 172 hours of Voyager and generously maybe 30 good ones. The good news is that there are maybe only 10 really awful, TNG season one style bad episodes. The rest are just bland Star Trek themed wallpaper for your TV.

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmUTIp9BOs

Tomcat1944
Mar 31, 2004

Be at peace my friends
Voyager isnt so much about good or bad episodes, its about cultivating an atmosphere where you feel like you are a crewman on the ship, who is witnessing all the chaos and melodrama around them. Turn on, be comfy, and let Captain Janeway guide you to inner peace.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It always feels on Voyager that it's a fairly likeable, if bland, group of characters given almost nothing to do, with a few exceptions. Whereas on Enterprise you have a group consisting of either total assholes or people with no discernible personality at all, given things to do, but the things are often stupid.

In terms of gods, to nobody's surprise I enjoy the Vorta attitude. The Founders aren't omnipotent, they aren't omniscient, but they will always make perfect decisions if given the correct information. It's more like worshipping the Greek gods or something, where you have to deal with their moods and spitefulness. Also the Founders did create the Vorta, as far as we know. I do wonder how much of that obvious myth Weyoun Six tells Odo is rooted in the truth.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

HopperUK posted:

It always feels on Voyager that it's a fairly likeable, if bland, group of characters given almost nothing to do, with a few exceptions. Whereas on Enterprise you have a group consisting of either total assholes or people with no discernible personality at all, given things to do, but the things are often stupid.

In terms of gods, to nobody's surprise I enjoy the Vorta attitude. The Founders aren't omnipotent, they aren't omniscient, but they will always make perfect decisions if given the correct information. It's more like worshipping the Greek gods or something, where you have to deal with their moods and spitefulness. Also the Founders did create the Vorta, as far as we know. I do wonder how much of that obvious myth Weyoun Six tells Odo is rooted in the truth.

I'd expect the parts about benevolence, and uplifting the primitive Vorta as an expression of gratitude (it was almost certainly done out of either convenience or that the Founders saw usefulness in the Vorta gene pool) were propaganda, but everything else was likely true.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I saw a really great piece of fanart the other day that was a family portrait with Sarek, Amanda, Sybok, Spock and Michael and it was basically just "Before things went to poo poo..." I wish I could find it.

Found it:

https://twitter.com/jimbleskirk/status/1400773082420285443

Where's Spocko?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Rascals could have worked better if they'd leaned into it as a comedy episode, but late-TNG has a huge warp nacelle up its own rear end.

As a thought experiment I'm wondering if Rascals would be better or worse as a DS9 episode. They definitely had a better handle on comedy, and the characters were better-defined and probably would've given more fuel to that premise. On the other hand it's also very much a "wacky sci-fi thing of the week" episode, which is TNG's specialty. But "One Little Ship" worked, so maybe.

Of course, maybe I'm asking the wrong question: it probably would be best of all as a TOS episode.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I'd expect the parts about benevolence, and uplifting the primitive Vorta as an expression of gratitude (it was almost certainly done out of either convenience or that the Founders saw usefulness in the Vorta gene pool) were propaganda, but everything else was likely true.

I feel like the Vorta founding myth that Weyoun tells is probably substantially true within the Trek Mythos. We see how the Dominion enacts collective punishment on planets that defy them, it would be consistent with how the Changelings view the universe that if they encountered a race that seemed naturally inclined to be unconcerned and friendly towards shapeshifters that they would uplift the whole race as a 'reward' (for their purposes).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Astroman posted:

Where's Spocko?

A couple of years ago someone edited the picture of Spock's family from Yesteryear to add Sybok and Michael, and then someone else added Spocko but I can't find the later one anymore.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Happened across this weird piece of star trek memorabilia when looking for some vintage (normal adult person) home decor:

https://www.ebth.com/items/12604461-superman-pinch-pleat-drapes-with-star-trek-drapery-panels?ref=hp

Not great, but not as terrible as the Spock helmet, either.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Astroman posted:

OTOH, modern tv can be just as bad. Doctor Who had an episode about Rosa Parks which postulated that in an alien filled Year 8000, there are still white racist humans who hate brown people enough to want to go back in time and keep them down. Like the idea that women couldn't rise above rank of Commander in Starfleet, it stretches credulity while trying to talk about a serious modern issue.

Also the doctor needs to take up the spare seats on the bus because otherwise rosa parks won't be able to object to being mistreated

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tunicate posted:

Also the doctor needs to take up the spare seats on the bus because otherwise rosa parks won't be able to object to being mistreated

I'm imagining a bus just full of various incarnations of The Doctor, who all go back in time to that moment in order to pack a bus full and spark a civil rights movement. I have no idea how close that is to what really happens, but lmao

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bennyfactor posted:

Happened across this weird piece of star trek memorabilia when looking for some vintage (normal adult person) home decor:

https://www.ebth.com/items/12604461-superman-pinch-pleat-drapes-with-star-trek-drapery-panels?ref=hp

Not great, but not as terrible as the Spock helmet, either.

Some fairly good avatar material there

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
With those character designs, those drapes belong on Memory Gamma.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Astroman posted:

I may be misremembering because I probably watched that one once 30 years ago, but the moral was "this woman is insane." Janice goes about it the wrong way but she is trying to right a wrong and get a chance to command.

It was hamhanded, but the point of the episode wasn't to uphold 20th century patriarchal standards and advocate women staying in the kitchen. TOS isn't progressive by today's standards but it was for the time and they were trying to get positive messages across.

They were trying to say "sexism is bad," but they went about it in a really dumb fashion, starting with the idea that 300 years from now women couldn't rise high in a fleet shown since S1E1 as being mixed gender (and race, with hispanic and black flag officers). There was probably a more subtle way to have a morality tale against sexism.

I agree. I've always thought it was a stretch to take a mentally disturbed woman's word that Starfleet didn't allow female captains. That's not to say that the episode isn't problematic in a lot of ways, of course.

Payndz posted:

Roddenberry absolutely loved Omega Glory (it was one of his original episode concepts when he pitched the show) and IIRC submitted it for various writing awards. It was his Sixties version of "Spock shot JFK" - the idea he thought was so brilliant he just wouldn't leave it alone despite it being an obvious clunker.

IIRC, he wanted Omega Glory to be the pilot of the entire show. I'm almost impressed with how sure he was that it was a winning script.

Omega Glory is an episode that has the dubious distinction (along with Code of Honor, which I think is far worse) of being one that nobody likes, as far as I know.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I'm imagining a bus just full of various incarnations of The Doctor, who all go back in time to that moment in order to pack a bus full and spark a civil rights movement. I have no idea how close that is to what really happens, but lmao

One of the doctor's companions, an old white dude, has to sit behind Parks to force this to happen. He starts to object about how horrible that is and how he doesn't want to do it, and gets forcefully told "shut the gently caress up, this isn't about you". It kinda owns. It's also one of the rare times that we see Rosa Parks as someone who was already involved in the civil rights movement and protests, instead of the popular portrayal of her as a Normal Woman who one day decided to Take A Stand.

And the time-racist is basically a Proud Boy from the future, so it doesn't really matter that his plan doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's also one of the rare times that we see Rosa Parks as someone who was already involved in the civil rights movement and protests, instead of the popular portrayal of her as a Normal Woman who one day decided to Take A Stand.
Solidly a good thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Chris Chibnall years are the Voyager of New Who. Some legit gems like the Rosa Parks episode, but mostly just really middling.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

Where's Spocko?

Wait, just how many kids did Sarek have, anyway?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HD DAD posted:

The Chris Chibnall years are the Voyager of New Who. Some legit gems like the Rosa Parks episode, but mostly just really middling.

Chinball's first season was way better than people give it credit for.

shame about the 2nd season but the Master is amazing in that season.

What I am saying is that Voyager wishes it was that good consistently.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Page 2161; happy Federation Day!

In celebration, twos, sixes and aces will be wild until the end of the page.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I agree. I've always thought it was a stretch to take a mentally disturbed woman's word that Starfleet didn't allow female captains. That's not to say that the episode isn't problematic in a lot of ways, of course.

IIRC, he wanted Omega Glory to be the pilot of the entire show. I'm almost impressed with how sure he was that it was a winning script.

Omega Glory is an episode that has the dubious distinction (along with Code of Honor, which I think is far worse) of being one that nobody likes, as far as I know.

I took the plunge and looked it up on wikipedia and the first sentence I read was this one

quote:

During a ceremony to celebrate the Yang victory, Kirk and Spock, discussing the Yang culture, connect the names Yang and Kohm with "Yankee" and "Communist"

and laughed so hard I woke up my girlfriend. This sounds like poo poo.

edit Holy poo poo this is the constitution episode? loving laffo

Anyway I came here to say that I'm continuing through ds9 s2 and the premiere should not have been a three parter. Don't do three part episodes on TV. Don't do it. Bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think it’s implicit in the premise of the episode that she’s telling the truth about that. If she isn’t, why doesn’t Kirk just say, “but we do have female captains though”. What he actually says in response to the infamous “your world of starship captains doesn’t admit women” line is pretty much, “yeah it doesn’t, and I think that sucks, but that’s what it is”.

There are a lot of, at best, interesting assumptions behind Turnabout Intruder. The fundamental point of the episode is that what makes you fit for command isn’t your bodily attributes but your soul. But otoh if you’re a woman and you want a position of power and responsibility, you might just be hysterical, murderous, automisogynistic, or otherwise generally certifiable. The obvious fixup for this episode would have been to have a woman officer figure poo poo out, take command and save the day. Instead they just have literally every other member of the bridge crew do it. Guess Nichelle Nichols was busy that week

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

skasion posted:

I think it’s implicit in the premise of the episode that she’s telling the truth about that. If she isn’t, why doesn’t Kirk just say, “but we do have female captains though”. What he actually says in response to the infamous “your world of starship captains doesn’t admit women” line is pretty much, “yeah it doesn’t, and I think that sucks, but that’s what it is”.

There are a lot of, at best, interesting assumptions behind Turnabout Intruder. The fundamental point of the episode is that what makes you fit for command isn’t your bodily attributes but your soul. But otoh if you’re a woman and you want a position of power and responsibility, you might just be hysterical, murderous, automisogynistic, or otherwise generally certifiable. The obvious fixup for this episode would have been to have a woman officer figure poo poo out, take command and save the day. Instead they just have literally every other member of the bridge crew do it. Guess Nichelle Nichols was busy that week

I don't remember which Youtuber it was who brought this up - maybe TrekCulture? - but it could be that when Janice said "Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women", she could have been talking specifically about Kirk's life. Throughout all of the series and movies, Kirk actually lives a somewhat lonely life, despite his reputation as a womanizer. The closest he ever came to a "real" relationship was Carol Marcus, and although we don't know what happened after Search For Spock, I would guess that Carol blamed Kirk for David's death and killed any chance of reconciliation between them.

But I agree with you: the episode plays very strongly into the "hysterical woman" trope and (iirc) pretty much comes right out and says Kirk (as Janice) is physically too weak to assert himself as captain. I'm just not sure I buy that Starfleet didn't admit woman at that time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maybe a decade later (in the timeline) there is a black woman commanding the Saratoga in The Voyage Home so it’s probably not the case that no women were captains at the time of the episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Some fan film I saw retconned it that women were promoted to Captain and admiral, just not put in charge of starships because of diplomatic sensitivities regarding the Tellarites.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't remember which Youtuber it was who brought this up - maybe TrekCulture? - but it could be that when Janice said "Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women", she could have been talking specifically about Kirk's life. Throughout all of the series and movies, Kirk actually lives a somewhat lonely life, despite his reputation as a womanizer. The closest he ever came to a "real" relationship was Carol Marcus, and although we don't know what happened after Search For Spock, I would guess that Carol blamed Kirk for David's death and killed any chance of reconciliation between them.

But I agree with you: the episode plays very strongly into the "hysterical woman" trope and (iirc) pretty much comes right out and says Kirk (as Janice) is physically too weak to assert himself as captain. I'm just not sure I buy that Starfleet didn't admit woman at that time.

yeah but have you seen the number of times Kirk has his shirt ripped or cut, exposing his chest?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Probably because I've only been watching the highest rated voyager episodes, but Janeway is a great captain. Shes daring, much warmer than Picard or sisko to her crew, practical. Gonna keep watching the good eps and never tarnish my image of her

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I mean if we want to bring it into continuity then maybe some of these alternate interpretations are worth looking at, but the episode itself as a piece of media is a sexist piece of poo poo and it annoys me to see folk trying to say maybe it isn't so bad. It's poo poo. gently caress that episode and its disgusting misogyny.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I like Omega Glory! Kirk screaming the Constitution to a caveman makes me smile.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Probably because I've only been watching the highest rated voyager episodes, but Janeway is a great captain. Shes daring, much warmer than Picard or sisko to her crew, practical. Gonna keep watching the good eps and never tarnish my image of her

When Janeway is good, she's incredible.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

Some of the best episodes are evil Janeway though...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

HopperUK posted:

I mean if we want to bring it into continuity then maybe some of these alternate interpretations are worth looking at, but the episode itself as a piece of media is a sexist piece of poo poo and it annoys me to see folk trying to say maybe it isn't so bad. It's poo poo. gently caress that episode and its disgusting misogyny.

Thank you king but I think the tenor of this discussion was more "What were the writers/actors trying to accomplish in this trainwreck?" and less "Should we approve of sexism in media?"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, she is clearly talking about Kirk’s emotional life at least as much as about fleet policy. And this is not the first time we have met a woman whom Kirk abandoned for his higher calling. The most obvious other example being Lieutenant Shaw in “Court Martial”. But I still think Kirk’s response makes it clear whoever wrote this crappy episode figured there were no woman captains of starships, and this assumption is borne out in the rest of the series—the only counterexample being the Romulan commander in “Enterprise Incident” who is 1) foreign and therefore weird, and 2) a horny buffoon not much more competent than Lester.

It’s not that Starfleet doesn’t admit women at all, since the fleet was the context of Lester and Kirk’s prior relationship (and witness Uhura, Shaw, various other lieutenants of the week). And of course they have a whole system of assigning captains female yeomen for clerical and administrative duties, pretty obviously inspired by WAVES. But, as there was in the real military at that time, I think we are supposed to assume a (non-glass) ceiling on women’s rank that prevents them from reaching the most senior and responsible positions.

Now that I look it up, Trek was actually airing right around the time these legal restrictions were lifted, allowing women to reach flag rank…but then no woman commanded a USN station or ship until 1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

multijoe posted:

Some of the best episodes are evil Janeway though...

Which ones? Other than the future museum one