Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Most games don't gate the majority of their side content behind permanently missable hidden objects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
but they should

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ace Transmuter posted:

Most games don't gate the majority of their side content behind permanently missable hidden objects

What can you even miss in FFIX? Besides Excal 2.0 and skits

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guys and girls, any good jrpg with minimal story where you can just play while listening/watching something else. I was gonna watch the euros but need something on the side turn based preferably. I was thinking maybe Disgaea but tactics games sort of require focus.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shin Megami Tensei

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ulio posted:

Guys and girls, any good jrpg with minimal story where you can just play while listening/watching something else. I was gonna watch the euros but need something on the side turn based preferably. I was thinking maybe Disgaea but tactics games sort of require focus.

rhapsody: a musical adventure

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

SaGa: Scarlet Grace

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Bravely Default 2

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Bravely Second lets you set up action scripts for random battles, speed up the time it takes for battles to play out, and has tons of lategame builds for your party that let you be functionally immortal and deal out tons of damage… and the story’s mostly a fun romp, too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Srice posted:

SaGa: Scarlet Grace

I feel like playing SSG without paying attention would lead to you being comboed to death.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

etrian odyssey 5/nexus have automapping if you just wanna walk around a dungeon and kill monsters

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Ulio posted:

Actually, Disgaea 1's postgame mostly consists of grinding a few EXP stages and the Item World, both of which are pretty braindead and have no story whatsoever. It was my podcast game. Story stages would be a poor fit for multiple reasons, though, and I can't speak for Disgaea 3 and on, so your experience may vary depending on where in the game you're at and which game you're playing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Leraika posted:

I feel like playing SSG without paying attention would lead to you being comboed to death.

No better way to become a powerful jrpg gamer than by persevering through that while half-paying attention.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Hi all,

Wanted to pop in and say I’m very excited about eiyuden chronicles but it’s two years away. Anything semi recent that can scratch the itch? Assume I’ve played up to lost odyssey or so.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gaius Marius posted:

What can you even miss in FFIX? Besides Excal 2.0 and skits

I think there are some one-off pieces of gear or items you can't get if don't get them in certain areas, but I could be mixing that up with FF7 (or any number of FF games for that matter).

Fake Edit: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Permanently_missable_content#Final_Fantasy_IX

Provided it doesn't affect in-game time, the high-speed booster in the PC version probably makes it way easier to get the sword. Excalibur II doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd do on a first playthrough, though.

Ace Transmuter posted:

FFIX is a fine game but no other game in the series hates its players more

Srice posted:

The best way to enjoy FFIX is to not give a dang about completionism and only do optional content if you like it.

FFX seems like it's more malicious towards completionists compared to FF9. Then again, it depends on what you consider to be 100% completion, since some games don't track it. There's 'Perfect Game' runs, but that's something that more dependent on criteria you or a game's community determine.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 22, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Nero brothers sidequest is one of the most egregious wastes of time I've ever seen in a video game. Did they really expect people to backtrack 10-13 times in the last dungeon back to the city for a conversation?

I'm starting to turn on this game because holy gently caress it really seems like some parts of this are just a giant middle finger to the player.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, devs just like putting in secrets that are nigh-impossible to find in their games sometimes, just look at the last secret found in Nier Automata (gameplay spoilers, nothing story related):

you have to stand in a specific corner and input Platinum’s version of the Konami Code at which point you skip immediately to the last ending.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the real final fantasy is that it's okay to not do everything

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

The Nero brothers sidequest is one of the most egregious wastes of time I've ever seen in a video game. Did they really expect people to backtrack 10-13 times in the last dungeon back to the city for a conversation?

probably not, no

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

dev: *puts in neat little detail* heh I hope someone gets a kick out of finding this like I did thinking of it

player: THIS IS A MIDDLE FINGER. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE CREATOR OF THE GAME PERSONALLY WANTED ME TO DO THIS

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Tonfa posted:

dev: *puts in neat little detail* heh I hope someone gets a kick out of finding this like I did thinking of it

player: THIS IS A MIDDLE FINGER. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE CREATOR OF THE GAME PERSONALLY WANTED ME TO DO THIS

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tonfa posted:

I don't know how else to describe a mechanic where in the final dungeon you move forward 1/3 of a screen, then back track all the way to the starting city to talk to someone, return to the spot in the dungeon where you left, move forward 1/3 of the screen again, and repeat for 13 attempts.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

hanales posted:

Hi all,

Wanted to pop in and say I’m very excited about eiyuden chronicles but it’s two years away. Anything semi recent that can scratch the itch? Assume I’ve played up to lost odyssey or so.

Exit Fate is an RPGMaker fangame that's made to be like Suikoden. It's not the best written thing ever but it's free so it's worth a shot. It's not exactly recent though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the fact people went years without knowing the sidequest existed shows how much they expected anyone to bother with it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

I don't know how else to describe a mechanic where in the final dungeon you move forward 1/3 of a screen, then back track all the way to the starting city to talk to someone, return to the spot in the dungeon where you left, move forward 1/3 of the screen again, and repeat for 13 attempts.

extremely funny and harmless?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Exit Fate is an RPGMaker fangame that's made to be like Suikoden. It's not the best written thing ever but it's free so it's worth a shot. It's not exactly recent though.
the gameplay's kinda cool and the writing has some neat moments, but its a bit bland yeah. a lot better written than a lot of rpgmaker games that are trying to be like old jrpgs tho

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If the reward isn't even substantial it's probably just that, a harmless Easter Egg. It doesn't sound like it's as bad as blindly hunting for a Feebas without any hints in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or something where that would be a pretty big thing to miss out on.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

makes me wonder whether modern focus grouped design practices came to be because of views like these or if this is the result of a decade of those practices

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I kind of forgot how much FFXII hates its players. FFIX's main flaw is its lack of respect for the player's time.

Is there a JRPG with battles as dreadfully slow as FFIX's? I'm playing the Switch remaster and the battle speeds are "even slower then you remember" and "gone to plaid".

I'm also curious if there's a JRPG with a larger list of permanent missables than FFIX.

It's a lot easier to⁶ say to someone "well just don't be a completionist, lol" than it is to break decades of gaming habits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Depends how you count missables but Tales of Vesperia for instance has globe spanning and game spanning sidequests you can bork out of the gate along side super tight windows for sidequests and sidequest chains to happen with no warning. Not sure its the worst but it pops in my head.

As for slow battles Battlechasers on switch is horrendously slow and theres too much of it especially if you're doing sidequests and compounded by a crazy low level cap.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Old Tales games are way meaner with missable content. Tales of the Abyss and Symphonia have long sidequest chains that break if you leave the wrong screen or don't sleep at the right inn or basically anything that's off the intended rails, except for the ones that require you to backtrack.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

pentyne posted:

completionism is a sickness

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i don't know why everyone's getting on pentyne's rear end about this, if they wanted to put in a cute easter egg they didn't have to make it unnecessarily tedious to reach

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There are a lot of completely insignificant things one can always complain about, but when you go hard enough at something that genuinely doesn't matter then at some point "who gives a poo poo my man" is pretty much the inevitable response.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

i don't know why everyone's getting on pentyne's rear end about this, if they wanted to put in a cute easter egg they didn't have to make it unnecessarily tedious to reach
but it being unncessarily tedious is why its funny and cute

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
guys, you know the only reason that poo poo is obtuse is so they can sell strategy books. don't be dumb. if it was so funny and cute, it would still be a common thing but there's plenty of games that stopped hidden stuff like that such as the tales/ff series because it pisses players off.

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 22, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a game having weird arbitrary secret poo poo that 99% of players will never see and is kind of annoying to get, is good, and gives it personality, and i wish games did that more.

granted if its plot relevant in any way or offers anything of actual gameplay importance thats one thing (and vesperia and abyss are both guilty of this) but if its just a slightly stronger weapon or a gag about how many brothers one extremely minor background character has, who cares

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i like doing dumb poo poo when i should know better and, to stay on the topic of RPG's, I like it when game devs encourage that behaviour with additional content.

FF9 is great

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the sidequest in ff9 that wasnt even in a guidebook and took like 20 years to find

e: Apparently it was in the japanese Ultimania guide but not the lovely playonline one.

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Super Mario Sunshine had a cool hidden 1up if you managed to talk to 3 very hard to talk to NPCs in one level complete with text that basically said "whoa you actually bothered to do this? Have a reward!" and it was a pretty obscure secret! I stumbled upon that on my own in the 3D All Stars release and it was cool to discover that. But missing it wouldn't have been a big deal because it was just a 1up mushroom, but it was cool to have that acknowledged.

On the other hand, within the same game, there's the entire blue coin mechanic which is just awful straight up awful to deal with because it's expected that players would collect those and there's a ton of obscure random poo poo you have to find (on top of no checklist either so you can't keep track of which ones you find.) Framing is a pretty big part of that. Secrets can be cute and hiding them won't be a big annoyance as long as it's not a huge thing. They can also add mystique.

Granted if you go too far in the other direction and make something that's required too obtuse, instead of creating mystique you create apathy or worse, annoyance. Or in this one case, one of the devs of a game I played said there was a secret with this one perk, but gave absolutely no hints on what it was used for. Eventually everyone stopped giving a poo poo after making absolutely no progress on discoveries for over a year because it was too well hidden and at that point it just became baiting a donkey into a wall because he refused to give out anymore hints but still tried to prod people into looking for it and people had better things to do with their time. (Also it turned out every time the players were close to finding out what it did, they changed the effect to drag out the goose chase.)