Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

i am squinting at that image trying to figure out what they even sell, because other than chromecasts, their alexa knockoff and whatever pixel phone they're selling this month, i have no idea.

they sell the google brand story, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i am squinting at that image trying to figure out what they even sell, because other than chromecasts, their alexa knockoff and whatever pixel phone they're selling this month, i have no idea.
per the article - "Pixel phones, earbuds, Pixelbook laptops, Chromecasts, Google TVs, Stadia controllers, and Nest-branded speakers, smart displays, thermostats, smoke detectors, cameras, Wi-Fi routers, and doorbells."

its like a woot.com storefront

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
with the added bonus of most of those product lines already having a sunset date

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

stadia controllers!

on the one hand, I wonder if there is enough wireless bandwidth for all that crap to work

on the other hand, since it is a google owned building, it should have pretty good latency to the servers

I wonder if they let you play cyberpunk 2077 on the demo machines

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i still have my nexus 5 and it still runs pretty well. have been tempted more than once to pay for a battery/screen replacement. idk wtf they did to modern android performance so bad.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

oh great the android auto app is still randomly disconnecting the usb but only sometimes. It'll go a 2 hour journey without doing it then do it every 30 seconds the next time.

gently caress Google your poo poo is garbage

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm still kind of looking between the oneplus 8 or the 9. oxygen/hydrogenOS seems kind of neat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dioxazine posted:

i'm still kind of looking between the oneplus 8 or the 9. oxygen/hydrogenOS seems kind of neat

I have a oneplus 8T and it's very good, the OS is fine (except for the above mentioned usb disconnect bullshit!) and pretty non intrusive.

battery life and the warp charging is nuts, like 0 to fully charged in 15 minutes

E: they give you a rubber bumper case in the box which is annoying because I bought the sandstone case for it and it's huge and I took it off. Also the pre fitted screen protector is trash so I took it off and then scratched the screen 2 days later :rip:

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 18, 2021

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

E: they give you a rubber bumper case in the box which is annoying because I bought the sandstone case for it and it's huge and I took it off. Also the pre fitted screen protector is trash so I took it off and then scratched the screen 2 days later :rip:

what kind of screen protector did you end up getting? oneplus' 8T protector seems out of stock at their official store

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dioxazine posted:

what kind of screen protector did you end up getting? oneplus' 8T protector seems out of stock at their official store

none at the moment so I'm just living with the scratch for now

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

oof! i'll take a closer look at the 8T and probably make the purchase decision by end of july as my current phone is slowly on its way out

thanks for sharing!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dioxazine posted:

oof! i'll take a closer look at the 8T and probably make the purchase decision by end of july as my current phone is slowly on its way out

thanks for sharing!

it might also send all your data to the chinese government but at least you know that rather than sarnsung just leaking it through incompetence

warp charge is 20% to full in 30 mins

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the MSS will not share my data with the CIA and NSA, so that's a plus

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
verge has an overview of googles history of launching and cancelling and rebranding chat programs

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/21/22538240/google-chat-allo-hangouts-talk-messaging-mess-timeline

its very lol

talk, voice, buzz, huddle, hangouts, allo, duo, meet, wave - theyre all there

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

oh great the android auto app is still randomly disconnecting the usb but only sometimes. It'll go a 2 hour journey without doing it then do it every 30 seconds the next time.

gently caress Google your poo poo is garbage

have you tried blasting the crap out of your charging port on your phone with compressed air?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sb hermit posted:

have you tried blasting the crap out of your charging port on your phone with compressed air?

could be the car cable, too. i have an anker durable braided cable that is a bit touchy now after years of car use

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

sb hermit posted:

I haven't actually

Agile Vector posted:

could be the car cable, too. i have an anker durable braided cable that is a bit touchy now after years of car use

It's a pretty new cable and a different phone seems to work which points to crud in the port.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Lol!!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

It's a pretty new cable and a different phone seems to work which points to crud in the port.

ah, dang, hopefully it's crud then!

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Agile Vector posted:

ah, dang, hopefully it's crud then!

So satisfying to dig out

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

FMguru posted:

verge has an overview of googles history of launching and cancelling and rebranding chat programs

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/21/22538240/google-chat-allo-hangouts-talk-messaging-mess-timeline

its very lol

talk, voice, buzz, huddle, hangouts, allo, duo, meet, wave - theyre all there
building google chat into the mobile gmail app is such a pro move from google. like i don't even know how they will ever top this.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/21/22538240/google-chat-allo-hangouts-talk-messaging-mess-timeline posted:

Here’s a breakdown of Google’s major messaging offerings over the years, with currently active services in bold:

quote:

Google Docs chat
:raise:

anyway, bypassing carriers entirely was the greatest triumph of imessage (and whatsapp apparently), but lol at google trying to do that and have carriers sell anroid phones with such an app/service preloaded, even if manufacturers dont just drop that app from their anroid image

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

I haven't actually

toothpicks are the best for picking out port crud

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Windwos lol

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
:chloe:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

not enough clocks but a good start

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

nah, this one shows that you could always one up everyone on the home screen atrocity level with android, even if you kept to ios clock count.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i find really weird personalizations of the home screen always a bit charming though. dumb tinkering and all that. the android clock joke to me was always that htc, being the undisputed leader in android phones early, had a default of two clocks, and in marketing shots often three

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the clock joke is that android widgets were dumb and had no use other than more clocks. oh and the clocks were often out of sync

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
with ios widgets you can now have up to 26 clocks visible on one page of the home screen, truly the superior experience

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
maybe more on bigger phones, but i could fit 26 on the 12 mini

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

only 26? nice piece of poo poo iphailure lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
gently caress all widgets forever

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

widgets are back for the like 4th time i think

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like the clock widget and the battery widget and the one that randomly shows me pictures

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

music streaming service widget was fine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

really i want precisely one widget: a small calendar agenda view so i can stay reminded of things coming up without having to remember to check, or annoy myself with reminder notifications. on wp i also liked live tiles for showing the last unread email/message etc., but as that seems to literally never work reliably on android i figure just remove it to not annoy people expecting things to do what they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really i want precisely one widget: a small calendar agenda view so i can stay reminded of things coming up without having to remember to check, or annoy myself with reminder notifications. on wp i also liked live tiles for showing the last unread email/message etc., but as that seems to literally never work reliably on android i figure just remove it to not annoy people expecting things to do what they say.

lol i did all those things in this example because i have my life together mostly, but i threw that widget in a smart stack and it rules

edit: lol this was the android thread. rip.