Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Today’s Casefile episode is on the Hayworth/Payne murders, and if you don’t listen to the podcast, at least read the below (though the episode is definitely a solid one):

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/social-media-feud-led-murder-young-tennessee-couple/story?id=34346840

Absolutely bonkers story that feels almost movie like, weirdly. Also a LOT of people named Billy.

E: should I make a true crime thread? would that siphon away from this thread?

teen witch has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Jun 20, 2021

waffleman
Aug 5, 2007

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
it really ties the nation together

teen witch posted:

Today’s Casefile episode is on the Hayworth/Payne murders, and if you don’t listen to the podcast, at least read the below (though the episode is definitely a solid one):

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/social-media-feud-led-murder-young-tennessee-couple/story?id=34346840

Absolutely bonkers story that feels almost movie like, weirdly. Also a LOT of people named Billy.

E: should I make a true crime thread? would that siphon away from this thread?

I'd say don't. It would absolutely siphon away from this thread which isn't all that fast moving.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
How would you all feel about rebooting this thread as a more general true crime/unnerving horrors of life thread?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That would be a true crime.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

How would you all feel about rebooting this thread as a more general true crime/unnerving horrors of life thread?

It's already that - does it really need to be rebooted?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I just don’t want to monopolize it as true crime all other weird poo poo gently caress off thread

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Nobody hates leftists with a verve and fury than other leftists

They sure are a contentious people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX8GeXpw84c

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

It already feels like an all-purpose things-about-the-world-that-make-you-sigh-defeatedly thread, but if you want a fresh start (and for someone to be sure to port all the Droogie and Golden Gael content over), we can start a new thread for Things That Are Still Unnerving Even After 2020.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's because they are quitters.

Had a nice dark :lol: from this

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think spinning out an actual True Crime thread would be fine, I personally am only really interested in weird conspiracies, mysterious deaths, and dumb alien bullshit.

I don't however know if a Unnerving thread can sustain itself without the true crime part.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The alien stuff has its own threads now.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Busket Posket posted:

It already feels like an all-purpose things-about-the-world-that-make-you-sigh-defeatedly thread, but if you want a fresh start (and for someone to be sure to port all the Droogie and Golden Gael content over), we can start a new thread for Things That Are Still Unnerving Even After 2020.

You all are far too kind. I was surprised to see the thread still going after my extended hiatus. I think unnerving covers a hell of a lot of ground.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Gaius Marius posted:

I think spinning out an actual True Crime thread would be fine, I personally am only really interested in weird conspiracies, mysterious deaths, and dumb alien bullshit.

I don't however know if a Unnerving thread can sustain itself without the true crime part.

There’s the Fringe Science and Cryptid offshoot if that’s your jam.

Droogie posted:

You all are far too kind. I was surprised to see the thread still going after my extended hiatus. I think unnerving covers a hell of a lot of ground.

You’re a great journalist and great writer with obvious care and passion put into your work, and if there’s one thing we do on this forum it’s keep things going, for better or worse :imunfunny:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

steinrokkan posted:

It's the typical "our only research is the wikipedia article" podcast, but with the added bonus that the guests couldn't even be bothered to read the article ahead of time and have nothing to contribute but terrible attempts at jokes.

Sorry to continue the Robert Evans derail but this is emphatically not true. He cites, and quotes, multiple sources per episode and they're books, articles, and news sources. Say what you like about the guy's politics, but saying his only research is wikipedia is trivially disproven.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

It's the typical "our only research is the wikipedia article" podcast, but with the added bonus that the guests couldn't even be bothered to read the article ahead of time and have nothing to contribute but terrible attempts at jokes.

You might be thinking of Well There's Your Problem.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

???????????????

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ture Crime slapped. Sure it wasn't good but it was fun

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked the one mission where you fought a dragon and the undead out of nowhere in the middle of a game with no other supernatural elements.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Koba posted:

he recently bragged in the podcast subforum about how he’s now making millions off his iheartradio stuff, so I don’t think he needs the CIA handouts anymore.

This is just an outright lie btw.

E) just mentioning robert evans at the moment is like a bat signal for a bunch of c-spammers to come flying into a thread and now c-spam is leaking all over the forums.

Radical 90s Wizard has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Jun 21, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

just mentioning robert evans at the moment is like a bat signal for a bunch of c-spammers to come flying into a thread and now c-spam is leaking all over the forums.

Right, and no one is going to come to any new conclusions in this thread. The discussion has been thoughtful and civil, but let's move on from him as a subject.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Pastry of the Year posted:

Right, and no one is going to come to any new conclusions in this thread. The discussion has been thoughtful and civil, but let's move on from him as a subject.

Agreed.

I'll also give my 2 cents as far as splitting/rebooting goes: I wouldn't mind it. I enjoyed this thread when it was more "Unsolved Mysteries" or even "check out this creepy disease you might die from, good luck sleeping tonight".

Now it feels like 80% "what true crime podcast is the best", 10% "here's a straight-forward horrible crime committed that's been solved, no mystery (parents arrested for child abuse; husband killed wife)", 5% actual creepy/unnerving rather than depressing, and 5% derail.

That's just my opinion as a reader, not a mod. But maybe starting a true crime podcast thread might work for y'all, to cut down a little on that for those of us who eagerly click thinking there's 96 new posts and it's all "I hate this guy X's presentation, you should check out guy Y" for pages.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
who is robert evans

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Makes sausages

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He had a show on Comedy Central a few years ago

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

who is robert evans
A prominent film producer who died mysteriously of being old

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I prefer Robert Odds to be honest

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

FreudianSlippers posted:

I prefer Robert Odds to be honest
:frogleave:

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
I'm against splitting - splitting one slow thread will just make one dead thread.

If one don't like that this is mostly true crime (which is still unnerving articles, the complaint being "other people find different things unnerving than I do") the true crime isn't blocking people from posting other things. Without crime posts it doesn't suddenly manifest other creepy posts, it just becomes a thread no one has posted in for months.

And at least the crime posters are actually posting new articles/stories/podcasts/shows/media, rather than complaints that other people's posts aren't entertaining to them. Yeah, the rest of social media has made it standard that every single post has to be quick read, passively consumed, immediate hit of Content, but this isn't a subreddit or a buzzfeed listicle, it's a conversation.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I remember a short “derail” about being unnerved by tinnitus when alone in the dark got everyone involved mocked ruthlessly and chased out with torches and pitchforks

They’re strict around here

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1505892

A 41 year old man in Colombia presents to the emergency room with fever, shortness of breath and coughing. He was diagnosed with HIV years earlier but stopped treatment.

Scans revealed masses in the lungs, liver and several lymph nodes. Anti biotics and anti viral therapy was started as wel as anti worm medication for a tape worm. A biopsy of the masses revealed small cancerous cells, they just weren't recognizable as a known cancer.

Despite treatments over the next 4 months the lesions progressed and palliative care was started. 72 hours before dying a final diagnosis was established:

He had cancer, but not human cancer, a tape worm had developed cancer and this worm-cancer has spread throughout his body.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

A 41 year old man in Colombia presents to the emergency room with fever, shortness of breath and coughing. He was diagnosed with HIV years earlier but stopped treatment.

Scans revealed masses in the lungs, liver and several lymph nodes. Anti biotics and anti viral therapy was started as wel as anti worm medication for a tape worm. A biopsy of the masses revealed small cancerous cells, they just weren't recognizable as a known cancer.

Despite treatments over the next 4 months the lesions progressed and palliative care was started. 72 hours before dying a final diagnosis was established:

He had cancer, but not human cancer, a tape worm had developed cancer and this worm-cancer has spread throughout his body.

Cool thanks for the new eternal fear! Didn’t know I needed another but you really…really did it.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

teen witch posted:

Cool thanks for the new eternal fear! Didn’t know I needed another but you really…really did it.

Key here is the untreated HIV resulting in being severe immunocompromised.

If it helps: we develop cancerous cells all the time, but most of the time our immune system kills it before it can do harm!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

If it helps: we develop cancerous cells all the time

AAAA NO IT DOES NOT HELP I AM RIDDLED WITH CANCER

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

If it helps: we develop cancerous cells all the time, but most of the time our immune system kills it before it can do harm!

Once your immune system collapses, it becomes a much simpler task to list what can't kill you than to list what can. All kinds of poo poo you'd normally never expect to see inside the body can suddenly start thriving.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

very sus username/post combo imo :colbert:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

THE WORM TURNS!

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

teen witch posted:

There’s a Kurzgesagt video about Peto’s Paradox and how smaller creatures are magnitudes more likely to develop and/or die from cancer than larger creatures. There’s no mention of what happens when one is living inside the other though, so maybe they can make a new video about that…

(For serious, a lot of Kurzgesagt videos are unnerving in an existential crisis, didn’t need to know the odds of that, wait could that really kill us all, why are we even here what’s the point of it all, kind of way. But the animation is so darn cute and they hide little Easter eggs of other popular animated characters in a lot of videos.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AElONvi9WQ

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Kurzgesagt has a video on why Nuclear Power is the best and only way to combat climate change. I found it very unnerving to see such a well respected channel be so full of propaganda and anti-renewable technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Comstar posted:

I found it very unnerving to see such a well respected channel be so full of propaganda and anti-renewable technology.

source your quotes