Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So- unless somebody buys one of these large German boys out from under me in the next 48 hrs, I’m between a 2017 SE (Perf Pack/Lighting Pack, Sunroof, Leather, fancy Fender radio, NO DRIVER SAFETY FEATURES) for $23k

and a 2019 Rabbit Edition for $25k with the plaid seats that I think look cool (this isn’t a dealbreaker, worst case scenario I toss a plaid blanket in the passenger seat of the SE), paint color and wheels that I like better (white vs black paint, black Rabbit wheels vs regular, again not really a dealbreaker). The big sticking point for me is that the Rabbit has the newer driver safety package which includes automatic braking/front collision warning, lane warning, and adaptive cruise control. Also it has the basic, but newer head unit + less good radio.

I’ve come really dig the adaptive/radar cruise on my rental Corolla and it’s definitely a feature I’d like. Most critically, I feel I’ve become kind of paranoid about the automatic braking and sensor beeping poo poo. If I’d had it in the CRV I wouldn’t have crashed it, full stop.

Am I being a weird bitch? Like, not only is the Rabbit pricier to buy, it’s $20 a month more expensive to insure. In “total monthly payment” (loan+insurance) terms it’s like a $70 difference, which isn’t exactly chump change. It should be obvious that the 2017 is the better choice.

But I’m scared that 1) the sunroof is gonna be a pain point 2) I’m gonna crash it without the fancy electronic nannies.

It’s totally irrational, and based entirely on my recent experience crashing, but I guess I’m just curious as to what you’d do in my situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For me, $2k over the life of the car to have the one that you seem to like better and has the features you want seems like a no brainer.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Ok Comboomer posted:

So- unless somebody buys one of these large German boys out from under me in the next 48 hrs, I’m between a 2017 SE (Perf Pack/Lighting Pack, Sunroof, Leather, fancy Fender radio, NO DRIVER SAFETY FEATURES) for $23k

and a 2019 Rabbit Edition for $25k with the plaid seats that I think look cool (this isn’t a dealbreaker, worst case scenario I toss a plaid blanket in the passenger seat of the SE), paint color and wheels that I like better (white vs black paint, black Rabbit wheels vs regular, again not really a dealbreaker). The big sticking point for me is that the Rabbit has the newer driver safety package which includes automatic braking/front collision warning, lane warning, and adaptive cruise control. Also it has the basic, but newer head unit + less good radio.

I’ve come really dig the adaptive/radar cruise on my rental Corolla and it’s definitely a feature I’d like. Most critically, I feel I’ve become kind of paranoid about the automatic braking and sensor beeping poo poo. If I’d had it in the CRV I wouldn’t have crashed it, full stop.

Am I being a weird bitch? Like, not only is the Rabbit pricier to buy, it’s $20 a month more expensive to insure. In “total monthly payment” (loan+insurance) terms it’s like a $70 difference, which isn’t exactly chump change. It should be obvious that the 2017 is the better choice.

But I’m scared that 1) the sunroof is gonna be a pain point 2) I’m gonna crash it without the fancy electronic nannies.

It’s totally irrational, and based entirely on my recent experience crashing, but I guess I’m just curious as to what you’d do in my situation.

You're not being irrational, you're weighing the tradeoffs of features you have interest in. So you'll have to answer your own question as it's mostly preference.

I would go with the Rabbit myself, mostly because I value those same features. I want the safety features, hate all black interiors so like the plaid, and absolutely do not want a VAG sunroof. Extra warranty and limited edition is icing on the cake. I also like the Rabbit wheels, would probably keep them, while the SE wheels are boring and would cost me several hundred dollars or more to replace with something I enjoyed looking at. Also like the headlights and other stylings on the Mk7.5 series that started with the 2018 model year.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uthor posted:

For me, $2k over the life of the car to have the one that you seem to like better and has the features you want seems like a no brainer.

Styles Bitchley posted:

You're not being irrational, you're weighing the tradeoffs of features you have interest in. So you'll have to answer your own question as it's mostly preference.

I would go with the Rabbit myself, mostly because I value those same features. I want the safety features, hate all black interiors so like the plaid, and absolutely do not want a VAG sunroof. Extra warranty and limited edition is icing on the cake. I also like the Rabbit wheels, would probably keep them, while the SE wheels are boring and would cost me several hundred dollars or more to replace with something I enjoyed looking at. Also like the headlights and other stylings on the Mk7.5 series that started with the 2018 model year.

Now I’m seeing posts from people saying that the auto-braking erroneously kicked in when they went over a metal plate, etc. Some people saying that they almost got rear-ended when their car erroneously stopped on them.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Styles Bitchley posted:

Same for the exact same reasons

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'd get the newer car for the 6 year warranty and the lights are better yeah. The auto braking is a downside to me personally, if you turn it off it leaves a yellow warning light on the dash and you have to do it every time but it sounds like you want it anyway.

I think you can retrofit the fender sub into the trunk (you can on the GSW anyway, I was planning to eventually do that) but idk if that makes the audio system completely equal a factory fender setup.

Also plaid rules, wish I could have done that on mine.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Ok Comboomer posted:

Now I’m seeing posts from people saying that the auto-braking erroneously kicked in when they went over a metal plate, etc. Some people saying that they almost got rear-ended when their car erroneously stopped on them.

Maybe they have fixed the auto braking part (I have a 2020) but my front sensor gives me alarms all the time over nothing, like theres literally nothing in the road. The rear cross traffic works great so I have no idea what's up with the front.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I just hate auto braking in general. I had it in my crappy rogue and it would freak out if I passed someone who had just turned out of my lane too close. The VW was less sensitive and annoying than that at least. The Mercedes I have now will slam on the brakes even if I'm already braking which is insanely annoying also like dude I've got it lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

flightless greeb posted:

I just hate auto braking in general. I had it in my crappy rogue and it would freak out if I passed someone who had just turned out of my lane too close. The VW was less sensitive and annoying than that at least. The Mercedes I have now will slam on the brakes even if I'm already braking which is insanely annoying also like dude I've got it lol

Updates from Hot Hatch Thread:

Ok Comboomer posted:

The MX5 has a much better shifter than, say, the Mazda3. People were talking about it ITT like a week ago when I first brought up my car situation.

Also- I think I’m probably gonna end up in a black 2017 SE tbqh, because another has appeared with way fewer miles for way less money than the other two I’m looking at.

Worst case scenario I found a supplier of OEM Clark Plaid fabric. I can ask my mom to make me some decorative lumbar pillows, so that I can be like a more demure version of one of those VW guys

Deviant posted:

hello yes i would like to pay your mother for a pair of VW plaid pillows

Ok Comboomer posted:

if y’all are serious that could probably be arranged. The fabric isn’t cheap (~$80 a linear yard) but my mom’s a wicked good (hobbyist) seamstress

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
New update because I can’t sleep. I was looking over the Carfax for one of the 2017s I’m gonna be taking a look at and generally it seems reaally good: full maintenance schedule, no accidents, one owner....and then we get to the last week of May of this year and:

Vehicle serviced
-Maintenance inspection completed
- Catalytic converter replaced
- Drivability/performance checked
-Turbocharger replaced/repaired

This was at about 41.5k miles, and the car’s currently at ~42k. It’s about 10k miles lower and about $1-2k cheaper than the next cheapest non-S 2017, but the dealership is good+trustworthy (not VW, big area Honda dealer tho) and they have a “market price” policy that generally has their list prices lower than avg, so that isn’t entirely surprising nor unwelcome.

Should I be concerned by this carfax or pleased? Does it sound like a good deal, or a lemon disguised as one? I can’t shake the feeling that this car’s a bit too good to be true and that its price/mileage ratio compared to other exemplars might be due to some dodgy history, even if it’s only like a grand cheaper.

Like is all of this work being done just a normal thing that sometimes happens, and whomever buys this car next dodged a bullet by having these repairs/replacements done by the PO? or is this evidence of past tuning or modding? Rough driving and abuse?

Could a car with a history like this have other, more serious damage to the motor? The only times I’ve ever heard of cars with low mileage getting their turbos and cats replaced like that it’s usually been accompanied with comments like “the shop said they found metal shavings in the engine oil” and IDK that I really want to be the second owner of a car like that.

Rather than looking at this and being like “oh sweet! Brand new turbo+cat plus recently-sorted and inspected car!” I’m concerned that the car went through all of that work a month ago at 41k and was then immediately sold or traded in by the previous owner because of some secret issue with it.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It's possible it was modded and the turbo and cat replacement was to bring it back to stock. Unless it has actual maintenance records it's hard to know.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Call em and ask.

I expect it's what GabbiLB said, turbo and cat mods are common.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I also suspect mods and probably wouldn't wanna deal with that smoke, especially since there's another car that better matches your preferences that hasn't been touched.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also suspect mods and probably wouldn't wanna deal with that smoke, especially since there's another car that better matches your preferences that hasn't been touched.

well, I haven’t seen the maintenance records or carfax for the other car(s) so let’s not make any assumptions yet.

Also- am I weird for being excited about hill assist? The one thing about regularly driving stick that I could absolutely do without is having to deal with catching the car from rolling back during stop-and-go traffic on inclined and elevated highways (such as what one might find on I-93 coming out of Boston).

Like for all that purists online seem to hate it as unnatural or coddling or whatever (and I tend to agree, in an abstract sense) it seems like a solid gold QoL feature when you’ve been sitting in the Big Dig at a 25 degree angle for half an hour, shuffling forward 10 feet at a time.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It’s a nice feature. It’s probably even more helpful in New England than it is out here in the Midwest. I’ll take some coddling personally.

I too would be wary of a car that rocked it catless for a while, but it’s entirely up to you what you’re comfortable with.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Everybody has different preferences. Hill assist is good, but I hate all the other driver aids (auto braking, lane keep, adaptive cruise). I'm gonna be all or nothing on assists/autonomous. That said, I like normal cruise. Just most implementations of adaptive and the other techs are too conservative (for safety reasons, I get it) and annoy me more than anything. While I still have control and have to pay attention it's going to bug me how they do it, haha.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i know we're dumping on vw front assist but i got cut off in traffic the other day and it saved my rear end

i was paying attention and saw the guy, but the computer was just faster than me

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Haven't used VW's implementation, but I've disliked lane keep assist in the cars I've tried it on. I've had it trip up on things like puddles and shadows and try to "correct" me out of my lane.

Adaptive cruise seems neat, but I haven't used it on long enough drives in situations where it would be really useful (mostly steady flow without drivers cutting you off) to be certain. In a Subaru I drove, it would slow down because it would detect vehicles in the next lane while going around curves, which was mildly annoying.

I can't recall the brake assist going off in my mom's Honda, but I've had it warn me of suddenly slowing cars. Usually it's when I'm driving like a dong and being too aggressive on the brakes, but once or twice it's caught cars slowing faster than I expected. When it goes off because I'm driving too aggressively, I can't get kinda annoyed cause I was aware of the situation, but then I change my behavior to keep it from happening again. Seems like a mostly benign system.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 22, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

that said i don't think vw's lane assist works for poo poo, on the mk7 anyway.

but it's using painted lane lines which are more of a suggestion around here.

and i just dont like cruise control so i don't use the ACC. worked fine when i tried it though. I just run front assist, rear, and blind spot lights.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
My '16 GTI has hill assist, though no other driver aids that I know of, it is quite nice, especially when I lived in Maine/NH.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

My '16 GTI has hill assist, though no other driver aids that I know of, it is quite nice, especially when I lived in Maine/NH.

Seconded, my '17 Sport does as well. Terribly convenient for daily driving.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I have a 2019 Q8 and the assistants are quite good. If the lines are painted nicely I could mostly hands off drive on the highway with no issue.

I love it, something I didn’t have before, of course I don’t hands off drive but you just rest your hand on the wheel and it mostly just works.

What I care about is consistency. I want to know what the system is gonna do, even if it’s the wrong thing. It’s easy to think like the computer and you start to realize what the car will do before it does it.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

I have a 2019 Q8 and the assistants are quite good. If the lines are painted nicely I could mostly hands off drive on the highway with no issue.

I love it, something I didn’t have before, of course I don’t hands off drive but you just rest your hand on the wheel and it mostly just works.

What I care about is consistency. I want to know what the system is gonna do, even if it’s the wrong thing. It’s easy to think like the computer and you start to realize what the car will do before it does it.

I know folks have alot of different experiences with driver assists, while I've not experienced them myself, I'm still skeptical of them. I had a co-worker nearly get into an accident on the highway because the lane keep assist apparently tried to keep him in his lane when he had to make an emergency maneuver, granted anecdotal evidence is not evidence. The idea of them is nice, but I also worry that it'll allow some people to become less attentive on the road which we've enough of a problem with already and the above mentioned consistency with how they operate.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
VWs hill assist is the best I've seen implemented so far. Coming from a Ford and having driven a Honda with it before, the way VW does it is very natural. The Ford was basically just on a timer and wouldn't release the brakes till a certain amount of time passed and it made it really hard to deal with. Turned that poo poo off after a day of owning the car. My GTI hill assist works great and I am very happy to use it.

FogOgg
Aug 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jumping in on the driver aid chat here.

I’ve been driving my 2018 Autobahn with all those features since December and for daily commuting I can’t see how I ever lived without ACC and auto braking. The latter definitely takes some getting used to and it’s a little bit sensitive at times, especially when passing someone who just left the lane for a turn as mentioned, but it has also grabbed my attention when I was tunneling on someone doing something stupid elsewhere while someone was busy cutting me off.

That being said, lane assist can rest in hell for all eternity. There’s no “getting used to” the car fighting you to straddle two lanes because it thinks a separation in the concrete is the real lane marking.

I suspect preference comes down to how you drive normally. I only use ACC on the highway and most of my highway driving is in Houston at rush hour. Consequently I just put it at 69 (lol) and stay in the right lane behind whoever is doing 50 until they go away. I just watch all the Mad Max road ragers gently caress off down the road to wreck into each other while me and my car chill in the corner.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

and i just dont like cruise control so i don't use the ACC. worked fine when i tried it though. I just run front assist, rear, and blind spot lights.

What is rear assist?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is 80k miles too many miles for ~$20 grand (2017 SE)?

I’m seeing cars in the 50-70k range for $22-24k and I’m asking myself if the 15-20% difference is worth 30k miles.

80k is very close to 100k and it’s kinda wigging me out, but I’m not going to stretch my budget past, say $25k (which is where a lot of the <50k cars are) just for lower miles if the car is otherwise healthy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

What is rear assist?

The car screams at you that you’re about to be rear-ended so you can, like, prepare I guess.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Ok Comboomer posted:

The car screams at you that you’re about to be rear-ended so you can, like, prepare I guess.
I thought it was that it beeped if you were about to back up in to someone, I mean it probably goes off a fraction of a second before you are rear-ended as well, but not sure that's what it is there for. it may also use the brakes if you continue reversing in to something.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rusty posted:

I thought it was that it beeped if you were about to back up in to someone, I mean it probably goes off a fraction of a second before you are rear-ended as well, but not sure that's what it is there for. it may also use the brakes if you continue reversing in to something.

I think it’s a joke.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rusty posted:

Some of the systems now do a brace for impact type of deal just before a collision to try and help minimize chance of injury. Something to do with modulation of the breaks, stiffen the suspension and tightening the seatbelts, some even stiffen the seats themselves. They also do some noise thing but I’m not sure what that’s about.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I think it’s a joke.

I figured they meant rear cross traffic alert, which I do think is actually helpful. Alerts you to oncoming vehicles when youre backing out of a parking space and cant see if youre about to get Wiped Out

Edit: My Merc has the noise thing where it apparently emits a helpful sound that somehow keeps you from going deaf during the loudness of an accident? Seems like a bunch of hooey to me

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

I figured they meant rear cross traffic alert, which I do think is actually helpful. Alerts you to oncoming vehicles when youre backing out of a parking space and cant see if youre about to get Wiped Out

Edit: My Merc has the noise thing where it apparently emits a helpful sound that somehow keeps you from going deaf during the loudness of an accident? Seems like a bunch of hooey to me

Emits a loud sound and blackens the windows so you aren't subjected to the suffering of the poor people you just ran over.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is 80k miles too many miles for ~$20 grand (2017 SE)?

I’m seeing cars in the 50-70k range for $22-24k and I’m asking myself if the 15-20% difference is worth 30k miles.

80k is very close to 100k and it’s kinda wigging me out, but I’m not going to stretch my budget past, say $25k (which is where a lot of the <50k cars are) just for lower miles if the car is otherwise healthy.

That seems to be about the going rate in the market conditions we're in currently (which aren't great). I don't think the mileage should be too much cause for concern if the car has been maintained and otherwise taken care of. An inspection is always a good idea. I'd open your search up to Carvana, Shift, and the like if you haven't already too. I don't see anything jumping out at me right now, but new stuff gets put up every day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nitsuga posted:

That seems to be about the going rate in the market conditions we're in currently (which aren't great). I don't think the mileage should be too much cause for concern if the car has been maintained and otherwise taken care of. An inspection is always a good idea. I'd open your search up to Carvana, Shift, and the like if you haven't already too. I don't see anything jumping out at me right now, but new stuff gets put up every day.

The problem I’ve been having with Carvana/Vroom/etc is that p much any GTI with the features I want gets bought immediately

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

The problem I’ve been having with Carvana/Vroom/etc is that p much any GTI with the features I want gets bought immediately

It sounds like you have a few options locally at least, but Carvana’s pre-order process might help. Not a guarantee, but the $100 is refundable, so it might be worth trying.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I had the same issue in 2019 when I was looking for mine, even then I had to call the dealer and show up first thing in the morning the very next day to have a chance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
rear cross traffic assist is particularly convenient in parking lots and things

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

especially when you're sandwiched between two F-250s and your only option is to back out slowly and pray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Deviant posted:

i know we're dumping on vw front assist but i got cut off in traffic the other day and it saved my rear end

i was paying attention and saw the guy, but the computer was just faster than me
It saved me once when I was driving on the highway and just as I sneezed, a guy cut me off and braked.