Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I mean I wonder if it will still have fast travel like the first game, seeing as the towers are no longer in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Probably, if the world is similar in size a decent chunk of players will demand fast travel options.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Maybe you get a super version of Revalis gale, so glad I made a beeline for the Birb bois as soon as I could in this playthrough.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's weird how whenever someone asks "what's the best route to take starting out from the plateau?" people usually answer with "go to Kakariko Village, talk to lady impa, then go to Hateno Village."

I feel like the game pretty explicitly tells you to do that. The old man tells you to head for the twin cliffs and that's how you get to Kakariko.

Are there people who, the first time they played, they had no idea what to do off the plateau?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

It's weird how whenever someone asks "what's the best route to take starting out from the plateau?" people usually answer with "go to Kakariko Village, talk to lady impa, then go to Hateno Village."

I feel like the game pretty explicitly tells you to do that. The old man tells you to head for the twin cliffs and that's how you get to Kakariko.

Are there people who, the first time they played, they had no idea what to do off the plateau?

Some people mash through text like it's going out of style.

Then jump off the plateau at a weird location just because they can and get lost for a dozen+ hours.

Not that I'm speaking from experience of course. :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The thing is the game points you there but never actually tells you why you want to go there before anything else. (You want to go there first to unlock the upgrades to the slate / camera before you actually set off to explore). You leave the plateau with a vague idea of where to go and markers for the beasts and castle but unless you know ahead of time, you have no indication your newly found slate abilities can be upgraded further.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Isn't going to Kakariko Village made incredibly obvious as it's like a main quest anyway

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah but sometimes it’s fun just to meander in a very ADHD way going to check poo poo out that looks curious instead of going directly to the village and eventually and up there in a very roundabout way and it’s super fun. I enjoyed myself anyway.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah there’s a marker on the map and everything. All you need to know is the twin peaks anyway, you can see them from far away and the road through them literally just goes straight to the village. The missions for the divine beasts aren’t triggered until you go to Kakariko.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

track day bro! posted:

This is gonna sound dumb but I hope there isn't any fast travel, most of the fun I have with BOTW is setting a desitination and getting there on foot. Then getting distracted by things on the way.

i enjoyed wandering around and getting sidetracked but if i couldnt fast travel to finish off the sidequests and clear out the loose ends near the end of the game i would have lost my mind

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would not have finished anywhere near even a single playthrough of BotW without fast travel, just don't use it if you don't like it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I knew perfectly well that was what the game was pointing me to, but I didn't see any reason to go do it immediately. Telling people they'll get inventory expansion and useful extra slate functions if they do is helpful.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ignoring the main quest is de rigueur in open-world games, so it bears mentioning that there's actually a good reason to follow it for a little while to start with in the one.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah there’s a marker on the map and everything. All you need to know is the twin peaks anyway, you can see them from far away and the road through them literally just goes straight to the village. The missions for the divine beasts aren’t triggered until you go to Kakariko.

I don't recall if I noticed the marker on the map. I do know that, on my first playthrough, I wound up blundering around and found the West enterance to Karakiko after running into my first Guardian Stalker. I didn't find the East Entrance until I got tired of having very limited weapon/shield space and decided to look up how to increase my inventory.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m pretty sure ghost of King Hyrule told you to go there and it got automatically set as your active quest which created a big, blinking dot that you would see every time you opened the map… Although maybe the “Defeat Ganon” mission might have been selected which would have put the dot on Hyrule Castle. Either way it would have been on your quest menu. The game does exactly enough to tell you where to go next but doesn’t hold your hand beyond that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Breath of the Wild tells you everything you need to know to get started. If you can't figure out where to go or what to do after the tutorial, you really only have yourself to blame.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think people are discussing two different things and making it sound like it’s the same topic

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think people are discussing two different things and making it sound like it’s the same topic

The discussion started talking about how Botw doesn’t hold your hand so Nintendo must’ve learned their lesson from SS and uh now we’re here.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

my 6 year old can't read well enough to know what the game is telling him to do but he has taken down 2 divine beasts so far (Ruta and Medoh).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

IIRC I think I actually did Vah Ruta before I went to Kakariko village.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

big trivia FAIL posted:

my 6 year old can't read well enough to know what the game is telling him to do but he has taken down 2 divine beasts so far (Ruta and Medoh).

My seven year old has his own game going where I've beaten Ruta for him and he claims that it counts as his own win and that he beat him.

So now I'm giving him the reins and he's not happy.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I went for Vah Medoh first because a) Wind Waker was my first Zelda game and the Rito were the only Divine Beast-adjacent tribe that were in WW and b) it’s a giant fuckin bird in the sky, that’s so fuckin cool!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I went straight to the desert because i decided to go in the opposite direction of the quest marker

The game is much harder if you start in that direction I found

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Once you find that one fruit that cooking a single of gives you a full heal + 3 hearts cooking is essentially over. Then you find that one tower with like 5 of those trees right by and yeah that’s it.
do y'all not use the stat boosting foods???

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope that there is fast travel but all the fast travel is some (official) form of launching yourself really high in the direction of your destination and then gliding in for the precision landing.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

the only form of fast travel I'll accept

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I start every open world game telling myself that I'm not going to use fast travel to really get to see the world but eventually I start wanting to just get stuff done.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I probably wouldn't play a game as big as BOTW if it didn't have fast travel.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Doing a limited fast travel playthrough was fun and I got to see a bunch of stuff I missed before. Only fast travelled when I was bored but mostly just used a horse.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spanish Manlove posted:

Doing a limited fast travel playthrough was fun and I got to see a bunch of stuff I missed before. Only fast travelled when I was bored but mostly just used a horse.

I decided the rule was I could only fast travel to Divine Beasts and the teleport medal.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

The Maroon Hawk posted:

the only form of fast travel I'll accept

drat Wind Waker is so good.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I tend to limit my usage of fast travel because I just find that more fun. For both this and Skyrim, I went with the rule that I could only teleport between fast-travel locations, not to them from anywhere. This made the world feel a bit more real to me

Edit: early In Skyrim I only used carriage-based fast travel, but eventually I gave up

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'll only limit my fast travel if the movement options are good. Even if BotW didn't have all the glitches that can make you super fast it would still be fun to move around in. The climbing, the glider, Revalli's Gale, shield surfing, it's all real fun using all of these to get to my destination faster.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I used fast travel a lot before I beat the game, when I went back and cleared the DLC I used the motorcycle to get the remaining Korok seeds and pretty much stopped using fast travel because riding the motorcycle around was so awesome.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Phosphine posted:

I tend to limit my usage of fast travel because I just find that more fun. For both this and Skyrim, I went with the rule that I could only teleport between fast-travel locations, not to them from anywhere. This made the world feel a bit more real to me

Edit: early In Skyrim I only used carriage-based fast travel, but eventually I gave up

I remember many years ago when Oblivion came out and some, like myself, were critical of the inclusion of fast travel lots of dumber people responded with something like "if you don't like fast travel, don't use it" and we rightfully responded "no, if fast travel is included as a game system, the game will be designed around fast travel and there won't be a worktable system for avoiding it (such as a more diegetic fast travel system that still required exploration and navigation using landmarks) and I think the last fifteen years of video game history basically prove that we were right.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah once you unlock the Kawasaki Epona GTX it becomes an awesome dirt bike open world RPG where the only goal is to do sick nasty jumps

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

I remember many years ago when Oblivion came out and some, like myself, were critical of the inclusion of fast travel lots of dumber people responded with something like "if you don't like fast travel, don't use it" and we rightfully responded "no, if fast travel is included as a game system, the game will be designed around fast travel and there won't be a worktable system for avoiding it (such as a more diegetic fast travel system that still required exploration and navigation using landmarks) and I think the last fifteen years of video game history basically prove that we were right.

So BoTW proving you wrong means...?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ogmius815 posted:

Um, what? I've played Oblivion and I have no idea what you're on about. Sometimes I fast travelled between locations in Oblivion, and sometimes I walked/rode a horse/whatever.

I get horribly lost in games anyway without a map, and most of the time even then. I still spent plenty of time in BotW loving off in a random direction, getting horribly lost, forgetting what I was initially doing, and falling off a cliff to my death.

It was great!

But sometimes I just want to go to a spot and be there, and for that fast travel is nice. :shrug:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is there anything good in the coliseum ruins aside from bokoblins and lizalfos and a lynel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember there being some elemental weapons scattered around?