Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

valp posted:

Got a little too excited about the ufos recently, a little too crack-pinged as they say, ended up having an existential crises where I psychically contacted one of them and I got a response back. It was friendly, I think? Since then I've gotten completely sober, took some time off work to relax, been extremely serious about having a healthy sleep schedule, reviewed how to get a therapist if I need one, and am happy to report no further psychic contacts other than a dream where a UFO flew overhead and sent down some friendly vibes. Not worried about the dream; between withdrawing from weed and all the time I spent obsessing over this stuff it'd be weird if I didn't have at least one dream about the UFO's.

This was a lot more exciting than my usual mental breakdowns and it's made me a better person so I'm grateful to the aliens (real or not) for that. And if the psychic stuff turns out to be real as well I'll try and pass along a good word for the thread.

By the way, Elizondo says a lot of crazy stuff in podcasts. He says there was ancient alien contact, that souls are real, psychic powers are real, aliens walk among us, some aliens aren't limited by time, consciousness is an observable energy, and so on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aliens/comments/nkrcyi/recent_elizondo_interviews_give_more_information/
https://www.reddit.com/r/aliens/comments/ldm6ob/pentagon_official_elizondo_makes_statements/

ive been digging a theme amongst the stories about consciousness being another fundamental field, one we weakly interact with. it fills in some personal blanks in my lived experience i don't have any other answers for.

I'd love to hear more about what happened, it's very in line with su walker's shtick and i love it. similar to but much friendlier than the ttsa equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea I've been wondering if Elizondo's tossing all this extremely woo-sounding poo poo around to muddy the waters for some reason

aliens or no aliens this is an op, he's not talking about wild fringe ideas because he's trying to drum up book sales or keep his role on Ancient Aliens

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Wheeee posted:

yea I've been wondering if Elizondo's tossing all this extremely woo-sounding poo poo around to muddy the waters for some reason

aliens or no aliens this is an op, he's not talking about wild fringe ideas because he's trying to drum up book sales or keep his role on Ancient Aliens

plus its clearly "ok" to the establishment, or at least a large enough contingent to cya. you can look to lots of modern examples of people going public and being a pain in the rear end to the powers that be having their lives ruined.

if its truly unwanted, the body politic has a way of shutting it down. so to speak.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Elizondo is very clearly a "manager" in all senses of the word, in that he is vaguely charismatic and good at rounding the right people up but clearly doesn't understand the breadth of what he oversaw and has a muddled understanding

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Just wanna chime in about that 10 second exposure - your ideas of how a plane would look in any long exposure shot are flawed. There would be no dot, at any shutter speed slower than maybe a quarter of a second. Also, there would be no streaks except the lights, because the body of a plane would be too dark to make any impression on the camera sensor.

That dot also looks like it has a bit of a halo around it which means the color is clipped because its light hit the same spot on the sensor for 10 seconds.

Basically, that object is stationary imho.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

frankly speaking, I will slap up any alien that tries to abduct me, UNLESS they're hot

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Smekerman posted:

Just wanna chime in about that 10 second exposure - your ideas of how a plane would look in any long exposure shot are flawed. There would be no dot, at any shutter speed slower than maybe a quarter of a second.

Categorically false.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Google Butt posted:

frankly speaking, I will slap up any alien that tries to abduct me, UNLESS they're hot

Really fuckin subjective. Who's to say?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

helta posted:

Really fuckin subjective. Who's to say?

me

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Dont take that op's advice

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Google Butt posted:

what if u discover ur living in a deviantart universe and they're furry cat or dog people, then what!?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

isosceles over shanghai

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Smekerman posted:

Just wanna chime in about that 10 second exposure

Basically, that object is stationary imho.

WEH posted:

Categorically false.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

baby im just tryin to let my hair down

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

hell yeah! that's the new york times right? the peeps who originally popularized the recent navy sightings back in 2017? amazing background. we must be so close to the report dropping too! four days ish??

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Praying that disclosure is real so that elizondo can go away one way or another

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
if an alien cant throw hands with me they dont deserve to abduct me. come at me binch

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Lampsacus posted:

hell yeah! that's the new york times right? the peeps who originally popularized the recent navy sightings back in 2017? amazing background. we must be so close to the report dropping too! four days ish??

nypost

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

WEH posted:

Categorically false.

First off, it’s a dot of light in a ten second exposure. Second, I’m actually genuinely curious why you think that. Tell me of your magical experiences taking sharp shots of anything in motion with less than 1/25 shutter speed.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Smekerman posted:

First off, it’s a dot of light in a ten second exposure. Second, I’m actually genuinely curious why you think that. Tell me of your magical experiences taking sharp shots of anything in motion with less than 1/25 shutter speed.

how do you know it was in motion

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

how do you know it was in motion

I literally said I believed it was stationary and that you couldn’t see a dot of light show up like that in any exposure longer than 1/25th of a second (if the object was in motion) and was told that was categorically false, lol

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

if an alien cant throw hands with me they dont deserve to abduct me. come at me binch

im sorry but with them its mind hands just like in the nerd movies

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Smekerman posted:

I literally said I believed it was stationary and that you couldn’t see a dot of light show up like that in any exposure longer than 1/25th of a second (if the object was in motion) and was told that was categorically false, lol

oh right sorry

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

The Saucer Hovers posted:

im sorry but with them its mind hands just like in the nerd movies

what the gently caress

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Smekerman posted:

Do me a favor and do a google image search for "plane long exposure". The magical device known as a "tripod" allows for sharp shots of lights in motion at slow shutter speeds and the reason the dots show up is because they are very bright for a very short amount of time.

e: changed "objects" to lights

WEH has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Jun 23, 2021

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

valp posted:

Got a little too excited about the ufos recently, a little too crack-pinged as they say, ended up having an existential crises where I psychically contacted one of them and I got a response back. It was friendly, I think? Since then I've gotten completely sober, took some time off work to relax, been extremely serious about having a healthy sleep schedule, reviewed how to get a therapist if I need one, and am happy to report no further psychic contacts other than a dream where a UFO flew overhead and sent down some friendly vibes. Not worried about the dream; between withdrawing from weed and all the time I spent obsessing over this stuff it'd be weird if I didn't have at least one dream about the UFO's.

This was a lot more exciting than my usual mental breakdowns and it's made me a better person so I'm grateful to the aliens (real or not) for that. And if the psychic stuff turns out to be real as well I'll try and pass along a good word for the thread.

By the way, Elizondo says a lot of crazy stuff in podcasts. He says there was ancient alien contact, that souls are real, psychic powers are real, aliens walk among us, some aliens aren't limited by time, consciousness is an observable energy, and so on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aliens/comments/nkrcyi/recent_elizondo_interviews_give_more_information/
https://www.reddit.com/r/aliens/comments/ldm6ob/pentagon_official_elizondo_makes_statements/

Yo this sounds like something that happened to me a year and a half ago. I've been afraid to post it anywhere, even this batshit thread, because I was sure the responses would simply be along the lines of "Sounds like a psychotic break, dude" (understandably). Maybe it was, maybe it was something more? I did end up taking meds for a few weeks, and the "symptoms" went away, but to this day there were some things that happened that I cannot explain.

valp
Aug 31, 2018

Delta-Wye posted:

ive been digging a theme amongst the stories about consciousness being another fundamental field, one we weakly interact with. it fills in some personal blanks in my lived experience i don't have any other answers for.

I'd love to hear more about what happened, it's very in line with su walker's shtick and i love it. similar to but much friendlier than the ttsa equivalent.

I read the Law of One which is about a friendly alien god called Ra who helped build one of the pyramids and has all sorts of religious insight (the religious insight is actually really good regardless of whether Ra is real or not, at least in my opinion) as well as details on what's up with bigfoot, so I thought I'd talk to him. At that time I 100% believed this was real, only drug involved was a very small amount medical marijuana that I used daily and my own broken brain. I was raised in a religious household before ditching religion so I already had a ritual and various emotional associations with talking to god that I just adapted to this. I felt a weird heat and weight in my prefrontal cortex when I was sending thoughts upwards. Immediately after I finished I felt a sudden burst of heat and even greater weight inside my head, slightly further back and to the left. It was very localized, like a very discrete physical chunk of my brain suddenly turned into hot lead, and I have never, ever felt anything like it before. Extremely strong and impossible to mistake as being in any way normal or like anything I'd felt before, located right inside my brain. I felt a memory of a friendly smile.

Psychic aliens better be real, otherwise this is going to be an extremely awkward memory to carry around with me for the rest of my life.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Smekerman posted:

it's not sharp, tho. like, not even a little

it's got 3 lights, 2 on the side and one in the middle. all three are blinking, and you can see the same triangular pattern smeared along the path of motion on each end of the trail, it's just that the one on the bottom right has the red overexposed to the point of blowing out, which means the shutter either opened or closed (depending on which direction it was moving) partway through the blink on the top left so it's less smeared and didn't lose all the color. the side lights seems to also either be longer in shape or just have a longer flash. there is a trail connecting them due to the motion, which looks like the object is either reflecting some sort of light from the bottom of the frame or has illumination the top backlighting it, with it being tilted so one side is brighter. there's a wiggle to it, either from the object moving or from wind shaking the tripod, although the stars seem still so i'd guess the object's path wasn't perfectly straight.

it's deffo not a plane because it's too big and not moving fast enough, but it is moving, and seems to be triangular in shape

q.e.d. op needs to go back to that spot and gently caress those aliens so right

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WEH posted:

Do me a favor and do a google image search for "plane long exposure". The magical device known as a "tripod" allows for sharp shots of lights in motion at slow shutter speeds and the reason the dots show up is because they are very bright for a very short amount of time.

e: changed "objects" to lights

not ten seconds at the rate an airplane moves lmap

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Where did I say I thought it was an airplane?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WEH posted:

Where did I say I thought it was an airplane?

hahaha

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Not the own you think it is

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

show me any other 10 second long exposure of anything in the air that looks like that, aside from another photo of a ufo

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

WEH posted:

Do me a favor and do a google image search for "plane long exposure". The magical device known as a "tripod" allows for sharp shots of objects in motion at slow shutter speeds and the reason the dots show up is because they are very bright for a very short amount of time.

I don’t need to google long exposure shots, I’ve taken plenty myself, and you’re missing the point entirely - WITH a tripod, if the plane is in flight, you will not get a single solitary point of light like in that photo, you’ll get a streak of light unless you’re well above the one second mark. I don’t think you understand how shutter speeds work, but I mean, that’s fair enough if you’re not a photographer. I remember struggling with low shutter speeds when I was starting out, mostly being surprised at how much stuff moved in even a fraction of a second.

But also, if you’re not a photographer, maybe don’t go around proclaiming stuff to be empirically false when you actually only have a vague understanding how any of this poo poo works. You’re just muddying the waters like a narc.

PS: I encourage everyone to look up long exposure plane photos, so you can see exactly what that doesn’t look like.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's a time traveling airship. There's an answer that doesn't require aliens.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Smekerman posted:

I don’t need to google long exposure shots, I’ve taken plenty myself, and you’re missing the point entirely - WITH a tripod, if the plane is in flight, you will not get a single solitary point of light like in that photo, you’ll get a streak of light unless you’re well above the one second mark. I don’t think you understand how shutter speeds work, but I mean, that’s fair enough if you’re not a photographer. I remember struggling with low shutter speeds when I was starting out, mostly being surprised at how much stuff moved in even a fraction of a second.

But also, if you’re not a photographer, maybe don’t go around proclaiming stuff to be empirically false when you actually only have a vague understanding how any of this poo poo works. You’re just muddying the waters like a narc.

PS: I encourage everyone to look up long exposure plane photos, so you can see exactly what that doesn’t look like.

:hmmyes:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

valp posted:

I'm no Elizondo fan but it seems like you're misrepresenting him. I've seen a couple of the recent interviews myself, and he did mention all those things you mentioned, but he was always speculating about various theories, and he never stated that any of it is true and proven lol. As far as i can tell the only thing he repeatedly states that he knows, is that UFOs are real.

And as for "ancient aliens" we do have reports of UFOs going back at least as far as the 1500s.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

you're all off base

that's clearly a picture of a demon summoned by all your posts about unholy phenomena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Tekne posted:

you're all off base

that's clearly a picture of a demon summoned by all your posts about unholy phenomena

demon, alien, i don't care. i'll gently caress em all