Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

setting up my long exposure camera tonight to catch proof of me in up in that beelzebutthole

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

weird how birds can flash lights nowadays.

evolution is amazing!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still hoping it's birds piloting that UAP.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tekne posted:

you're all off base

that's clearly a picture of a demon summoned by all your posts about unholy phenomena

correct

because birds aren't real

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

CaptainViolence posted:

setting up my long exposure camera tonight to catch proof of me in up in that beelzebutthole

:69snypa:

shameful snype edit but you beat the notification so I'll allow it

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PawParole posted:

weird how birds can flash lights nowadays.

evolution is amazing!

Someone breed birds with lightning bugs right now.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Smekerman posted:

PS: I encourage everyone to look up long exposure plane photos, so you can see exactly what that doesn’t look like.

???

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bilirubin posted:

correct

because birds aren't real

This is true I change the batteries in my chickens weekly.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Bilirubin posted:

shameful snype edit but you beat the notification so I'll allow it

ty i promise to pay this kindness forward

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

If you're trollin w/e you win stop disturbing my dang circles

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

a a a a a a a a a a a a a alamy a a a a a a a a

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

ive been digging a theme amongst the stories about consciousness being another fundamental field, one we weakly interact with. it fills in some personal blanks in my lived experience i don't have any other answers for.

I'd love to hear more about what happened, it's very in line with su walker's shtick and i love it. similar to but much friendlier than the ttsa equivalent.

might want to look into synchronicity. I was thinking about starting a thread on it but maybe it can just exist here as a discussion topic.

Carl Jung interviewed a patient who spoke of a dream about a scarab beetle, then one landed on the window of his office.

I’ve had a couple really weird experiences and my dad keeps a log of all the ones he has or that people share with him.

let’s take a moment before the ufo report drops to share some examples of that weird poo poo.

I’ll share two:

1. I learned to tattoo in 2001. I was 17. I tattooed a fleur de lis on the drummer for Parliament-Funkadelic. Got to go see them play that night at HOB in New Orleans, real cool.
In 2020, we visit family in southwest Louisiana from Colorado, and go one night to see a childhood friend of my partner’s while in her home town. She has a friend over who is this old guy… who ends up being the bus driver for Parliament-Funkadelic and has been the bus driver since they started. one of my tattoos has been riding around next to this guy for almost two decades.

2. when I was a kid my step dad was a stage hand at one of the Jazz Fest stages in New Orleans. We got to go for free and walk around with back stage passes. One year he meets Art Neville from the Neville Brothers, and they chat, and Art has a son my age, so they arrange a couple times for me to go over and play with him at their house. amazing.
three years ago I tattooed a guy here in Colorado, he was a musician, and I did something cool on his arm. two years ago he lines up a second tattoo, this time a half sleeve. Art Neville dies. When this guy comes in for the appointment, I mention it in passing because he’s a musician and I figure he knows who Art Neville is.
He does and says it’s sad, and I tell him the above story about playing with Art’s son. My client says, “Oh, Ian? Yeah he’s my best friend. I’m going to see him next week.”

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Wheeee posted:

yea I've been wondering if Elizondo's tossing all this extremely woo-sounding poo poo around to muddy the waters for some reason

aliens or no aliens this is an op, he's not talking about wild fringe ideas because he's trying to drum up book sales or keep his role on Ancient Aliens

2:32 he maintains his DoD contacts and this effort is about helping the government do the job it's supposed to do and it's a coordinated effort.

2:35 the interviewer basically asks him if he has a government handler. Lue says they contact him frequently "I get texts all the time" regarding keeping within certain parameters with what he's saying from "the man" aka the government. Lue is basically saying he has a government handler.

33:50 - interviewer asks "have you been warned by the govt to not discuss specific things" 33:14 - 34:30 lue basically says yes he has been warned by government affiliates (handlers) and he has to report regularly to security advisors.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

while we're all taking pics of the night sky, i got this pretty decent moon pic with binoculars and my lovely cracked motorola.

idk what the line is but probably because i was having a hell of a time keeping it steady and there were power lines around

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bullfrog posted:

while we're all taking pics of the night sky, i got this pretty decent moon pic with binoculars and my lovely cracked motorola.

idk what the line is but probably because i was having a hell of a time keeping it steady and there were power lines around

nicely done moonshots are hard to really nail but you can see nice detail with that one

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the moon is cooler than mars

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
man if the aliens arent constrained by time then i gotta get myself one as a sex partner, i could finally be one of those 10 minute studs.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Smekerman posted:

Just wanna chime in about that 10 second exposure - your ideas of how a plane would look in any long exposure shot are flawed. There would be no dot, at any shutter speed slower than maybe a quarter of a second. Also, there would be no streaks except the lights, because the body of a plane would be too dark to make any impression on the camera sensor.

That dot also looks like it has a bit of a halo around it which means the color is clipped because its light hit the same spot on the sensor for 10 seconds.

Basically, that object is stationary imho.

this the first time any of this exposure talk vibed with my 3 year photography education which i never took seriously and also ended 12 years ago and ive never held a camera since but it makes sense.,

WEH posted:

Do me a favor and do a google image search for "plane long exposure". The magical device known as a "tripod" allows for sharp shots of lights in motion at slow shutter speeds and the reason the dots show up is because they are very bright for a very short amount of time.

e: changed "objects" to lights

This is correct on the dot from a blinking light from what I see, but if this was the case of it being a plane, we'd see a dark streak outlined by a bright trail with dots in the dark part, not a full body of something with no wings and 2 dots on either side. It being a plane doesnt vibe with me.

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Jun 23, 2021

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

munce posted:

2:32 he maintains his DoD contacts and this effort is about helping the government do the job it's supposed to do and it's a coordinated effort.

2:35 the interviewer basically asks him if he has a government handler. Lue says they contact him frequently "I get texts all the time" regarding keeping within certain parameters with what he's saying from "the man" aka the government. Lue is basically saying he has a government handler.

33:50 - interviewer asks "have you been warned by the govt to not discuss specific things" 33:14 - 34:30 lue basically says yes he has been warned by government affiliates (handlers) and he has to report regularly to security advisors.

this is the least surprising thing. I've said it before, but you don't just loving quit the DoD and then start talking about all the secret poo poo you saw and have the DoD go "You got us! it's all true btw"

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
years ago one of the radio hosts on the swedish public service radio channel P3, oriented towards youth at the time, talked about his weird experience he'd had the day before flying back home from an event. He said he had seen and photographed(with a lovely phone camera by todays standards) a cigar shaped object that appeared to be quite the distance away but matched the speed of the plane for a bit, he'd been looking at it for a while and some other people on the plane seemed to have noticed it as well. He uploaded the picture but ive not been able to find it since(it wouldnt add to anything now). the discussion veered of into UFOs and alien jokes. ever since ive been biased towards believing cigar shapes. my moms friend has lived in phoenix since the 80s and said she saw the phoenix lights when i made my mom ask her about it.

im 100% convinced cigars and triangles are real. even the UAP sorts. neither of those two people are cooks or religious and if they say they saw it i'll believe it.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

It being a plane doesnt vibe with me.

WEH posted:

The exposure time makes or breaks it for me. If it's 10 seconds, I got nothing. 5 or less I think it's a plane + its navigation lights going off twice.

Objurium posted:

Confirmed the exposure time with her again as 10 seconds - I'll see if I can pull up flight logs for the area a bit later on too.

WEH posted:

I have no idea, then

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

You're comparing full sized pictures (well, one picture, the Alamy thing is an illustration from the looks of it) to a 100% crop. Zoom in all the way on the dots in your picture and I'm willing to bet they're still not circular points, they are elongated in the direction the plane/whatever was moving in.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

valp posted:

By the way, Elizondo says a lot of crazy stuff in podcasts. He says there was ancient alien contact, that souls are real, psychic powers are real, aliens walk among us, some aliens aren't limited by time, consciousness is an observable energy, and so on.

I believe 3, possibly 4 of those things, depending on the definition of "ancient" and whether he's referring to racist af Chariots of the Gods? bullshit

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Azathoth posted:

I believe 3, possibly 4 of those things, depending on the definition of "ancient" and whether he's referring to racist af Chariots of the Gods? bullshit

please list the 3 or 4 things of those you believe

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Smekerman posted:

You're comparing full sized pictures (well, one picture, the Alamy thing is an illustration from the looks of it) to a 100% crop. Zoom in all the way on the dots in your picture and I'm willing to bet they're still not circular points, they are elongated in the direction the plane/whatever was moving in.

You don't know anything about photography lol

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
lmao

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Yeee, I'm not arguing I'm just sayin

vvv no worries

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Jun 23, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

fanfic insert posted:

Yeee, I'm not arguing I'm just sayin

Sorry, my bad

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Can someone summarize the first couple hundred pages of this thread?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

we need to settle this matter with a good old fashioned photography duel

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

aliens real

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

please list the 3 or 4 things of those you believe

souls are real, aliens are among us, some aliens aren't limited by time, assuming that "aliens" in this context has a wider definition than "biological entities that evolved on another planet and came here in interstellar spacecraft" at least

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lijECqltYNU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The X-Files was a documentary

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

You're a part time lover and a full time friend
aliens in your sky is the latest trend

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

EVERY GOLDEN HOUR I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE SHUTTER BUTTON ON MY CANON DSLR. ITS AN EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT WITH AN OPTEKA 500MM MIRROR LENS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE LONG SHUTTER SPEEDS OF UFOS ALONGSIDE WITH FROKNOWSPHOTO, JARED POLIN. I DO EVERY EXPOSURE AND I DO EVERY EXPOSURE HARD. MAKIN CLICKY SOUNDS WHEN I'M SHOOTING BULB MODE ON SOME ALIEN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP AND MACHINE GUN THEM ON CONTINUOUS SHOOTING MODE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY CAPTURED THE GALAXY’S MOST NON-REFLECTIVE METAMATERIAL. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE ON THE FORUMS I POST AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE ON DEPRECATED COMEDY SITES CAN STILL BE SKEPTICAL JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO USE MIRROR LOCK UP AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY HANGING ALL MY PRINTS. 2 HOURS INCLUDING POST PROCESSING EVERY MORNIng. THEN I LIFT

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyunZTnH_vU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

space chandeliers posted:

EVERY GOLDEN HOUR I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE SHUTTER BUTTON ON MY CANON DSLR. ITS AN EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT WITH AN OPTEKA 500MM MIRROR LENS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE LONG SHUTTER SPEEDS OF UFOS ALONGSIDE WITH FROKNOWSPHOTO, JARED POLIN. I DO EVERY EXPOSURE AND I DO EVERY EXPOSURE HARD. MAKIN CLICKY SOUNDS WHEN I'M SHOOTING BULB MODE ON SOME ALIEN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP AND MACHINE GUN THEM ON CONTINUOUS SHOOTING MODE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY CAPTURED THE GALAXY’S MOST NON-REFLECTIVE METAMATERIAL. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE ON THE FORUMS I POST AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE ON DEPRECATED COMEDY SITES CAN STILL BE SKEPTICAL JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO USE MIRROR LOCK UP AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY HANGING ALL MY PRINTS. 2 HOURS INCLUDING POST PROCESSING EVERY MORNIng. THEN I LIFT

but what exposure speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i am harry posted:

might want to look into synchronicity.

i love it. i don't know if im more fascinated by high tech material explanations or the totally out there stuff. for example, i have sometimes experienced things that are hard to explain ( and could be observer failure or biases!) but lue's cig explanation fills in the blank strangely well. if you start to view time and the progression of events as a bit more of a fuzzy notion and causality less instantaneous and immutable than our senses lead us to believe, i could see how our limited window of experience is hiding what is actually happening.

its been years since it happened at all, and even more years since it happened with any regularity, but i used to mistake strangers for people i knew, only to run into that specific person 20 min or an hour later. it got regular enough i started saying "it would be great if we'd run into <so-and-so>" and someone who hung around me long enough would start picking up on the que without being let into the game. i could never explain the trick, its either faded as i got older or the mechanic was dependent on the relatively small town i grew up in.

can i tell the future? goony case of face blindness mixed with religiosity? idk, but its fun to dream!

edit: or like this for a nice mix of the two
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746176/

quote:

Keywords: volition, Libet, free will, introspection, decision-making
Introduction
We have the strong and intuitive conviction that we can make decisions and actions according to our own reflections, preferences, beliefs, and feelings. In other words, we take it for granted that the content of our consciousness somehow influences our decisions and actions. However, this assumption has been seriously challenged by a seminal study of Benjamin Libet published in the eighties (Libet et al., 1983). Healthy human participants had to make repeated, self-paced finger movements while their brain activity was recorded with EEG. In addition, they were asked to watch a rapidly rotating clock and to report, after each movement, the clock hand position at the moment they had consciously “felt the urge to move.” It was found that a so-called Bereitschaftspotential (BP), a brain potential related to voluntary movements, starts several hundred milliseconds before the participants reported to be conscious about their decision to move. This result, which has been reproduced and extended by independent groups (Haggard and Eimer, 1999; Soon et al., 2008; Fried et al., 2011; Rigoni et al., 2013a), seems to indicate that consciousness about a movement decision arises only after the decision has been made by unconscious neural processes.

The study and its replications have had massive impact on current concepts of volition and continue to be used as one of the main arguments against the existence of a freedom to choose. It seems to demonstrate that our actions are determined by unconscious neural processes whereas consciousness is merely a late byproduct of neural processing with no influence on its own. Interestingly, this conclusion may have negative consequences for our conceptions of freedom and responsibility and hence for the functioning of society. Indeed, studies have demonstrated that healthy volunteers reading texts coming to such conclusions immediately have a greater tendency to cheat (Vohs and Schooler, 2008), are more likely to conform to group norms (Alquist et al., 2013), and show reduced social behavior (Baumeister et al., 2009), weakened self-control (Rigoni et al., 2012), impaired cognitive reactions to errors (Rigoni et al., 2013b), as well as reduced BPs (Rigoni et al., 2011). (ed: sound familiar? lmao!)

However, a growing body of evidence suggests that the relationship between neural activity and conscious awareness is more complicated than previously thought, and other conclusions can be drawn. In this paper, we review the markers that have been used to determine the onset of consciousness on the one hand and the onset of brain processes for movement preparation on the other hand, and consider whether they are valid and adequate.

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 05:57 on Jun 23, 2021