Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/DCLBlogger/status/1407527416172449792?s=20

I found the above tweet because Bruce Sterling retweeted it, I'd link to it, but his account is protected, I don't think he'd mind me sharing his comment though. You can just follow him and if you're obviously not a bot he (or more likely an assistant) should add you manually within a couple days. https://twitter.com/bruces

You should probably just share his comment in a screenshot if you don't think he would mind you sharing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Silly Newbie posted:

You should probably just share his comment in a screenshot if you don't think he would mind you sharing it.

Phone posting, so it's a pain. And I wanted a link to the original idiot tweet.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Splicer posted:

Was going to say, mountains of madness is probably his best work.

The best lovecraft inspired story is A Colder War by Charles Stross

I'm enjoying Winter Tide at the moment

Elizabeth Bear's Shoggoths in Bloom :colbert:

Neil Gaiman's A Study in Emerald is the best Sherlock Holmes/Lovecraft crossover. In fact it may be the only good one.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Y'all need The Music of Erich Zann

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been reading Caitlín R Kiernan's collection of short stories, To Charles Fort, With Love, and they have some really great takes on the Mythos, without any of the, ah, usual Lovecrafty downsides, if anyone's keeping score.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I think one of the great things about the lovecraft mythos is the fact that he described everything just enough to make your mind run with it and conjure its own horrors.

Hate the fact that he was a bit of a racist bigot but the mythos has always been a big fascination of mine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A bit is a massive understatement

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's a bit in the computer sense. He scored maximum racism.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Splicer posted:

It's a bit in the computer sense. He scored maximum racism.

Influenced Robert E. Howard into having a stack overflow error and becoming marginally less racist (or so I've heard, can't confirm)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
He was so racist his letters made a racism overflow error and made the guy who wrote Conan the barbarian become less racist.

No poo poo, the guy was like “Jesus Christ, I hope I don’t sound like that” and backed off.

E;fb

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He was so racist his letters made a racism overflow error and made the guy who wrote Conan the barbarian become less racist.

No poo poo, the guy was like “Jesus Christ, I hope I don’t sound like that” and backed off.

E;fb

I will always love Conan for its attempt at a Lovecraft demon where the thing's head was a big ol frog face in the middle of a swirling vortex of evil

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Influenced Robert E. Howard into having a stack overflow error and becoming marginally less racist (or so I've heard, can't confirm)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

E;fb
Are either of you aware of anything I could read on that? Can't find anything on Google

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hard to say either were maximum racist given they lived literally contemporary with the Holocaust and lynchings and massacres in the US, and as far as we know neither directly participated in them.

Also yeah, Lovecraft's entire family dying in asylums probably wasn't a hobby. He was raised as a girl by his aunts apparently.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean neither of those events really matter to this discussion as it doesn’t take maximum racism to kill people. It actually takes rather little if its systematic

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Khizan posted:

The Shadow Over Innsmouth is his best, because the ending of it has the protagonist leaning that it's okay to be Welsh.

I feel like I would probably describe it as the protagonist learns he is kind of weirdly horny about being Welsh and this overpowers his shame about it. Because being Welsh is basically a psychological disease as lovecraft understands it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Such Fun posted:

I know there has been a push from residents for at least a decade to reduce the number of tourists. If the quarantine has shown a demonstrable improvement in water quality then that might help the resident’s argument.
I’ve been once, as a disgusting polluting tourist, and I absolutely loved it. It has this combination of fairytale romance and melancholy decay.

melancholy decay is the name of my ska band

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean neither of those events really matter to this discussion as it doesn’t take maximum racism to kill people. It actually takes rather little if its systematic

I mean, it was an era where people were murdering minorities as a hobby, as a job, and as national policy. Some racist personal writings and themes in sci-fi/fantasy stories are a drop in the bucket in comparison. No one's being made any more racist by Lovecraft's writings. (as said, apparently we have evidence for being made less so)

Also a funny thing is the subtext of most Lovecraft stories is that only educated upper-class white anglo men have the hubris to look into various cosmic terrors that all the 'lesser' races have the sense to leave the hell alone.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I'm amazed they didn't get that with the works of Sax Rohmer... though I suppose they were a bit later than Lovecraft.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Winter Tide is pretty legit (but an example of another author doing eldritch right)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

One time lovecraft was participating in an exquisite corpse style writing collab, and he wrote the character, having suddenly appeared on an alien planet, realizing that he was no longer human, but an alien and going gibberingly insane with horror at being a monster

Robert E Howard picked it up next, and he had the character immediately come to his senses, realize that being an alien on the alien planet was cool and normal, and go on several pages of swashbuckling adventures with his new superpowers

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
All this Lovecraft talk and nothing about the story where a guy goes to Congo and finds out his dad hosed an ape and therefor he is half-ape? And then he kills himself and the british Royal Anthropological Institute say ”that was weird, let’s not talk about this” and destroys all evidence.

Fake edit: Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family was the title

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Thank goodness Ghost Leviathan is here to defend Lovecraft’s honorable racism because the Holocaust exists.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

very normal cliff

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, it was an era where people were murdering minorities as a hobby, as a job, and as national policy. Some racist personal writings and themes in sci-fi/fantasy stories are a drop in the bucket in comparison. No one's being made any more racist by Lovecraft's writings. (as said, apparently we have evidence for being made less so)

Also a funny thing is the subtext of most Lovecraft stories is that only educated upper-class white anglo men have the hubris to look into various cosmic terrors that all the 'lesser' races have the sense to leave the hell alone.

I do remember thinking it was pretty funny that the protagonists of most of Lovecraft's stories are well todo WASPS who are told, usually by some swarthy foreigner not to touch/read/look at/acknowledge a thing and the response is always "Ha, I'm White" and then something terrible happens to them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

I do remember thinking it was pretty funny that the protagonists of most of Lovecraft's stories are well todo WASPS who are told, usually by some swarthy foreigner not to touch/read/look at/acknowledge a thing and the response is always "Ha, I'm White" and then something terrible happens to them.

silly rustics

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

goblin week posted:

very normal cliff

some VERY specific accusations going on there, huh

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, either that or are having fun with. Cajun Cthulhu woo-hoo in the swamps, Polynesians gettin' freaky with fish people for mutual support, Witch House lady wandering the universe with her mutant rat buddy, etc etc. The wonder and glory forever seems pretty rad, as long as you're not an educated upper-class white anglo man whose brain will explode rather than admit the entire universe doesn't revolve around you.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Gears is trashy dumb and usually fun, like why get so offended.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gats Akimbo posted:

Well, either that or are having fun with. Cajun Cthulhu woo-hoo in the swamps, Polynesians gettin' freaky with fish people for mutual support, Witch House lady wandering the universe with her mutant rat buddy, etc etc. The wonder and glory forever seems pretty rad, as long as you're not an educated upper-class white anglo man whose brain will explode rather than admit the entire universe doesn't revolve around you.

Yeah there is a very strong "oh god the poors are disgusting and I am definitely, definitely not into their poo poo, no, why do I keep writing stories where the upper class protagonist comes to revel in their terrible ways" vibe to his writing, it's great.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Cliffy really shouldn’t be replying to every single person, but he was going after Notch and I don’t want to discourage that

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
My favourite Lovecraft story is the Apologicon. Set 80 years in the future, a young man obsessed with tales of the macabre tries desperately to convince his dinner party guests that his favourite author wasn't racist. To his horror, the spirit of the author shows up as a late addition, and announces a poetry reading.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

christmas boots posted:

Cliffy really shouldn’t be replying to every single person, but he was going after Notch and I don’t want to discourage that

Ah, an Avenatti situation

[

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah there is a very strong "oh god the poors are disgusting and I am definitely, definitely not into their poo poo, no, why do I keep writing stories where the upper class protagonist comes to revel in their terrible ways" vibe to his writing, it's great.

So many of Lovecraft's villains are so obviously living their best and happiest lives. Joseph Curwen the necromancer; Nyarlathotep is a fabulous bitch every time he shows up; the brain-stealing guys in The Whisperer in Darkness just want to take you on a Big Space Adventure; aaa the horror yeah sure get out the way Howard let everyone else party.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DreadUnknown posted:

Gears is trashy dumb and usually fun, like why get so offended.

It is very rude to say to somebody "that thing worked hard to make sucks and has always sucked, especially when you made it" and it's always a specific brand of internet brokebrain that says poo poo like that

Cliffy clocked that guy 100% he just shouldn't have said it out loud

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

:eyepop:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
we regret to inform you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

christmas boots posted:

I just feel like it's probably not the best reply to write when the rest of Notch's replies are people posting "trans rights"