Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

also bring back:

- 4-4-2
- players getting confused at basic decisions like they had the rules of the game explained to them late last night in a bar
- one player from each team being allowed to kick people with no consequence
- big ron
- yugoslavia
- adidas predators

pundits going on about daylight between the players when getting incensed about the offside rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

also bring back:

- big ron

i can only take this to mean big ron "ron beton" vlaar

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bring back Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, the USSR and the Kalmar Union. 55 UEFA members is way too many.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
So if Germany wins & Portugal/France draw, it's England France in ro16? hahahahaha

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

England is hosed no matter what.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sebzilla posted:

Bring back Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, the USSR and the Kalmar Union. 55 UEFA members is way too many.

Also the UK only gets one team instead of like 5

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

If Hungary and france won then we would play Hungary right?

i think so yeah

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Also pisses me off that the aztec sacrificial ballgame tournament in Qatar will be the last beautiful 32 team worlds.
Then it will be even worse than this 24 team horror system.

This opinion has probably been presented before by a number of persons in these forums. After this tournament is over I'll probably be here next in 2022, unless I'm dead by then which is unlikely but probably more likely than for almost all of you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

u brexit ukip it posted:

Also the UK only gets one team instead of like 5

let's not tear up the foundation of world football

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Gigi Galli posted:

Please let the fully Hamsicks defeat the Spanish today :pray:

:hmmyes:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Porrima posted:

Also pisses me off that the aztec sacrificial ballgame tournament in Qatar will be the last beautiful 32 team worlds.

This opinion has probably been presented before by a number of persons in these forums. After this tournament is over I'll probably be here next in 2022, unless I'm dead by then which is unlikely but probably more likely than for almost all of you.

it will also be the last one not in canada

also lol that concacaf now get 6 spots plus 2 playoff spots, and new zealand automatically qualify for every world cup for the rest of time

i forgot about how bullshit all of this was

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
3 team groups is dumb as heck, the 48 team tournament is genuinely awful. Knock outs start with 32 teams and if I do watch I reckon that'll be when I start.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Why would they not just do 12 groups of 4? Too many games or what?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should do more subnational teams. I demand separate Catalan and Basque teams, Flemish, Walloons, Moravians, Bavarians, Laplanders.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

211 team World Cup, no qualifying, no seeding, no groups, straight knockout all the way through baby

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

skasion posted:

you could, but you'd end up with the same poo poo as in this one, where top two plus best eight go through

at least with three-team groups you're going to get an extra round of knockout football with the same number of games for each team

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

goatface posted:

They should do more subnational teams. I demand separate Catalan and Basque teams, Flemish, Walloons, Moravians, Bavarians, Laplanders.
You could divide down more than that, have teams for cities. Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Manchester. On to one hell of an idea here!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ukraine have -1 and Finland have -2, Portugal are currently sat on +1 and have scored more than Ukraine

so Portugal are guaranteed to go through as long as France don't beat them by more than two goals, irrespective of what happens in the Spain group

for some reason I thought Ukraine and Portugal were both at 0, nevermind then.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

211 team World Cup, no qualifying, no seeding, no groups, straight knockout all the way through baby

Make it happen. Let’s see if Neymar can do it on a cold night in Bhutan

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Unironically this

Let’s see Wallis and Futuna get stomped by Angola who get stomped by Bolivia

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Who gets a bye in the round of 256?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

skasion posted:

The groups of 3 means more games overall (and therefore more advertising revenue) but keeps the number of games played the same for teams that go far, i.e., the finalists still play seven games it's just two groups and five knockouts instead of three groups and four knockouts, so theoretically it doesn't add any additional fatigue for the later games.

It also means for the 32-team knockout you don't have to work out the weird permutations of this euros and the third-place qualifiers, you just have the standard top two going through.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

goatface posted:

No seeding, so just draw lots. If Germany and Brazil play each other in the first round while Liechtenstein get a bye into their second-round tie against Vanuatu, so be it.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

goatface posted:

peter shilton picks 45 teams out of a hat, remaining 166 contest the first knockout round

unless peter shilton is dead, which I don't think he is but I can't be arsed to google

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Porrima posted:

best third place team is a loving abomination. i hate this poo poo. who's looking back at the pre 98 world cups and jacking off over best third places teams and second group stage and reverse round robin and whatever the hell

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

we could have whatever that loving concacaf thing was where you got extra points for scoring an own goal and one team ended up defending both nets

a terrible confederation for terrible people

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

best third place team is a loving abomination. i hate this poo poo. who's looking back at the pre 98 world cups and jacking off over best third places teams and second group stage and reverse round robin and whatever the hell

Could be worse, in 1950 they didn’t even have a final. Win your group to qualify for…another group

Also one of the groups had two teams

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Three team groups is dumb to the point of making me angry about it. What the gently caress.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They don't want dead rubbers. Nobody wants to advertise in a meaningless game.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The problem with 3 team groups conceptually is obviously 2 teams will play each other after the other team has already completed both games, potentially leading to the Austria-Germany situation in the 1982 world cup again. The most obvious situation being if Team C draws with Teams A/B then a final game score draw between A and B could send both through.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Insane, excited, out of my gourd in anticipation of Ethpaña absolutely eating poo poo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Flayer posted:

The problem with 3 team groups conceptually is obviously 2 teams will play each other after the other team has already completed both games, potentially leading to the Austria-Germany situation in the 1982 world cup again. The most obvious situation being if Team C draws with Teams A/B then a final game score draw between A and B could send both through.

Yeah this is dumb and bad. It also breaks my brain to think about a "group stage" where each group only plays three games in total. That isn't enough games to have a real group! It's basically a knockout stage already, you might as well just go straight to knockouts!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
despite this low-energy performance, slovakia win the anthem battle by default because the spanish have nothing to sing along to

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014
Let's go 'vaks

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Is Slovakia a real country?

Never met a "Slovakian" before.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

We all love the international Slovakian men’s football team

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
what a staaaht

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Come on you Sloves!

Tortilla Maker posted:

Is Slovakia a real country?

Never met a "Slovakian" before.

Read the team thread mate, Slovaks are real and strong and my friends.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Let's go you Sagans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

lol at sweden already winning