Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
And now that I'm thinking about it, I believe you actually bought the ticket for the game night via the GenCon event website, and you'd get the bag at the event. Tickets to the event were very limited and would sell out as soon as event registration went live.

Everyone I knew that went to the event just got the bag and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I adore hidden movement games, and if I ever make a board game you can bet your bottom dollar it will hidden movement based :v:

I picked up Fugitive on a lark and it ended up being one of my favorite 2-player games to play with my wife. The MANHUNT mechanic that ends the game where you have to guess all of the remaining hidden locations is nerve-racking but man is it satisfying to hit them all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Everyone I knew that went to the event just got the bag and left.

That sounds lame af but I guess it's not like they're required to participate.

Were the previous bags good deals?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Mage Knight: Ultimate Edition is back in stock across the UK, for anyone waiting for it on this buggered isle.

Looking forward to finally jumping aboard with it.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Idk if I would jump on board it's pretty dense

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Fine by me.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

We're playing Pandemic Season 2 while our daughter is home from college. It's tearing our family apart.

I have the concept of how to mitigate things using Box 6 but it never seems to work out right in terms of cards/pawns/locations.

Lost March 1&2, April 1&2, and May 1 before squeaking out May 2. Oof [large]

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

We're playing Pandemic Season 2 while our daughter is home from college. It's tearing our family apart.

I played a ton of app Pandemic for a while, and when you play a bunch at once (which you do when you're watching your kids at the park for hours, and pounding out a game every 10 or 15 minutes) you can get to a pretty high win rate in vanilla Pandemic (assuming you can pick characters). I'm not... like.. bragging - it's not a hard game, you just have to sort of get used to the tempo of a winning game. But while it's not a hard game, it's hard to get good at Pandemic only playing it once in a while, especially in Legacy games where the specific rules keep changing.

One of the reasons it's hard to improve is that without a lot of data points, it can be hard to tell how well you're playing; the effective difficulty varies quite a bit depending on how the cards shake out. One of the most egregious ways difficulty can spike is when have an you epidemic, put down 3 cubes, shuffle the new card in, and it flips immediately - so you get an immediate outbreak.

So when I play in person (including Pandemic Legacy), I use a house rule: when you reveal the bottom card during an epidemic, don't shuffle that card back on to the top of the deck immediately. Ie. after the epidemic, it will be the only card in the discard. This definitely makes the game easier - but more importantly I think it makes it easier to get better at the game. When you die to an immediate outbreak, that's random noise - and it can make the "signal" of "how well are we playing" harder to read.

I know some people like the "dramatic moments" or something when things unavoidably go bad, but I like the game more when you have more opportunity to mitigate disasters. The Legacy games will self-adjust the difficulty back up to some extent anyway - and so far they've all worked with this rule (though we're not quite done Season 0 yet).

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
My copies of Imperium: Classics and Legends are finally underway. Really excited about them, I hope they live up to the hype.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Honestly, Mage Knight loving rules

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Got given Cthulu Death may Die for my birthday, it looks awesome! Anyone played it know if you need the same people to play each time like gloomhaven?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

!Klams posted:

Got given Cthulu Death may Die for my birthday, it looks awesome! Anyone played it know if you need the same people to play each time like gloomhaven?

No, they're completely stand-alone scenarios and can be replayed as well (which we tend to do cos some are better than others, and they can be quite different with a different old one). It's a fantastic game, imo probably the best for a quick fun dungeon crawl.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ogdred Weary posted:

My copies of Imperium: Classics and Legends are finally underway. Really excited about them, I hope they live up to the hype.

I've been oggling this. Let me know how you find them

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jmzero posted:

I played a ton of app Pandemic for a while, and when you play a bunch at once (which you do when you're watching your kids at the park for hours, and pounding out a game every 10 or 15 minutes) you can get to a pretty high win rate in vanilla Pandemic (assuming you can pick characters). I'm not... like.. bragging - it's not a hard game, you just have to sort of get used to the tempo of a winning game. But while it's not a hard game, it's hard to get good at Pandemic only playing it once in a while, especially in Legacy games where the specific rules keep changing.

One of the reasons it's hard to improve is that without a lot of data points, it can be hard to tell how well you're playing; the effective difficulty varies quite a bit depending on how the cards shake out. One of the most egregious ways difficulty can spike is when have an you epidemic, put down 3 cubes, shuffle the new card in, and it flips immediately - so you get an immediate outbreak.

So when I play in person (including Pandemic Legacy), I use a house rule: when you reveal the bottom card during an epidemic, don't shuffle that card back on to the top of the deck immediately. Ie. after the epidemic, it will be the only card in the discard. This definitely makes the game easier - but more importantly I think it makes it easier to get better at the game. When you die to an immediate outbreak, that's random noise - and it can make the "signal" of "how well are we playing" harder to read.

I know some people like the "dramatic moments" or something when things unavoidably go bad, but I like the game more when you have more opportunity to mitigate disasters. The Legacy games will self-adjust the difficulty back up to some extent anyway - and so far they've all worked with this rule (though we're not quite done Season 0 yet).

There are ways to mitigate the instant outbreak you describe, usually on the funding cards (IE: Forecast, One Quiet Night type cards). You can play them inbetween putting down the 3 cubes and drawing cards, giving you the opportunity to deal with the problem before it happens.

Been a while since I played non-Legacy Pandemic, so I forget if they're as common or useful as they are in the Legacy versions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

There are ways to mitigate the instant outbreak you describe, usually on the funding cards (IE: Forecast, One Quiet Night type cards). You can play them inbetween putting down the 3 cubes and drawing cards, giving you the opportunity to deal with the problem before it happens.

Been a while since I played non-Legacy Pandemic, so I forget if they're as common or useful as they are in the Legacy versions.

They're common enough that you can usually count on being able to safeguard against insta-outbreak on ~2 epidemics per game (you get those two + Resilient Population, but there's a good chance that one of them will be too low in the deck to be useful.) So you do have to pick and choose when it's worth it, e.g. if there's a risk of cascading outbreaks, but there is some mitigation available.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
An outbreak or two isn't usually a big deal.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Gort posted:

I mean... you might also avoid this by having eradicated the disease in question. Or by having the medic standing in the target city and that disease is cured. Sure, using cards like this during epidemic resolution is a good way to use them - but it still relies on things going right that you can't control (and it's still probably not worth putting Foresight in your deck, if you have almost anything else to pick from). It's still going to happen that games are randomly much more difficult because you get hit by this. Sometimes it will be literally unavoidable - and like I said in my original post I prefer having "more" opportunity to mitigate problems.

To be clear, even with this house rule, you can still get hosed by bad luck - I've had games with a turn 1 epidemic that made two outbreaks on starter cities in Africa, and that was just going to be a very unlikely game to win. Pandemic is always going to be a random game where sometimes good (or non-) decisions get punished - but getting rid of this particular case does mean flatten that random curve a bit. With my particular set of preferences, I find the game better this way - especially in the context of a legacy game where your group feels more connected to how it plays out (ie. it's not just a filler game of Pandemic while you wait for people to show up for board game night).

Anyway, for a group (like I was responding to) that is getting beaten up by the game, this might be a good change to try.

PerniciousKnid posted:

An outbreak or two isn't usually a big deal.

If you're playing the base game on such softball difficulty that an extra unavoidable 2 outbreaks isn't a big deal... then... maybe you want to try upping the difficulty a bit so you're having a more consistent challenge. I find the game is fun when you have to be very efficient and make good decisions to stay on the right side of failure. If you can shrug off this kind of very bad luck, most of your games are going to be boring cakewalks.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 24, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jmzero posted:

If you're playing the base game on such softball difficulty that an extra unavoidable 2 outbreaks isn't a big deal... then... maybe you want to try upping the difficulty a bit so you're having a more consistent challenge. I find the game is fun when you have to be very efficient and make good decisions to stay on the right side of failure. If you can shrug off this kind of very bad luck, most of your games are going to be boring cakewalks.

In the early game, it's likely that such an outbreak will not be in an urgently disastrous location, giving you time to react to it. Later, you hopefully have a card saved to prevent a game-ending outbreak. It's not that common to both have the outbreak and have no possibility to react or avoid it.

I mean, I'm not going to call the cops on someone for house ruling the game for their own enjoyment, but it sounds a little boring to me. Pandemic doesn't have all that many ways to surprise you.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

I mean, I'm not going to call the cops on someone for house ruling the game for their own enjoyment, but it sounds a little boring to me. Pandemic doesn't have all that many ways to surprise you.

Yep - that's totally fair. Personally I'm not big on surprises (gameplay wise, in this genre anyway); I play Pandemic Legacy to min-max character builds and grind out value.

And, if I'm being honest, I've also found people enjoy Legacy more when we win, so I'm happy to put my finger on the scale a bit there too.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

jmzero posted:

Yep - that's totally fair. Personally I'm not big on surprises (gameplay wise, in this genre anyway); I play Pandemic Legacy to min-max character builds and grind out value.

I see how it would be more fun in Legacy, which had other ways to maintain interest.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

I have the concept of how to mitigate things using Box 6 but it never seems to work out right in terms of cards/pawns/locations.

Lost March 1&2, April 1&2, and May 1 before squeaking out May 2. Oof [large]

One thing we did to help was mark up the board with locations that had been cleaned out with Box 6, and locations that had been completely eliminated via other effects. That made it easier for us to plan out where supplies needed to go, as well as making a plan each month for which locations to deal with.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Uh so Kemet:Blood and Sand arrived and our group has played it twice now.

gently caress this game. Perfect example of how to ruin a game by Kickstarter. It started off well too - the veteran mechanic sort of gives the defender a bit of a leg up and encourages a faster turn around. Once the endgame sets in though it turns into an Ameritrash shitfest. The whole point of the game now is to spend 5-6 rounds setting yourself up for a singular round and hope that you haven’t pissed off everyone sufficiently enough that they don’t pile up on you.

It’s the opposite of what Eclipse:2e did where they turned the game into a tighter game by cutting a round.

Yes fine, I did poorly at Kemet:B&S both times which definitely has shaped my perception of the game but I honestly stopped caring in the last 2 rounds of the game because if I didn’t throw it I’d still be playing that KS bloated mess. I’ve told the others (who enjoyed it) that I refuse to play it again but they loved it so I suspect im not getting invited to the next one while they slobber over it.

gently caress

On better terms, we played Spirit Island last week. What an experience. We had about a low difficulty as possible so we won handily but it’s such a well done game. Incredible.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

million dollar mack posted:

gently caress this game. Perfect example of how to ruin a game by Kickstarter. It started off well too - the veteran mechanic sort of gives the defender a bit of a leg up and encourages a faster turn around. Once the endgame sets in though it turns into an Ameritrash shitfest. The whole point of the game now is to spend 5-6 rounds setting yourself up for a singular round and hope that you haven’t pissed off everyone sufficiently enough that they don’t pile up on you.

It’s the opposite of what Eclipse:2e did where they turned the game into a tighter game by cutting a round.

Yes fine, I did poorly at Kemet:B&S both times which definitely has shaped my perception of the game but I honestly stopped caring in the last 2 rounds of the game because if I didn’t throw it I’d still be playing that KS bloated mess. I’ve told the others (who enjoyed it) that I refuse to play it again but they loved it so I suspect im not getting invited to the next one while they slobber over it.

gently caress

On better terms, we played Spirit Island last week. What an experience. We had about a low difficulty as possible so we won handily but it’s such a well done game. Incredible.

The thing I didn't like about OG Kemet was that it was always right to pick on people. Like, if you can beat someone in a fight, you should. That's not such a big deal because losing a fight doesn't hurt that much, but it meant if you're not 'near' the worse players, you just have to watch the people near them prey on them and win. So you kinda get penalized for not being closest to the worst player? Which almost feels worse than getting beaten up, lol.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

!Klams posted:

The thing I didn't like about OG Kemet was that it was always right to pick on people. Like, if you can beat someone in a fight, you should. That's not such a big deal because losing a fight doesn't hurt that much, but it meant if you're not 'near' the worse players, you just have to watch the people near them prey on them and win. So you kinda get penalized for not being closest to the worst player? Which almost feels worse than getting beaten up, lol.

It's not quite that simple, because while losing costs you little winning gains you much. You don't want to make someone even weaker and even more vulnerable to allow the next person to exploit them for even smaller losses. And sometimes you have to stab the leader rather than take the easy point.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think that's why Inis does dudes on a map better than any other game. Stomping on someone isn't a victory condition, you need to be around enemy units to win. That mechanism really help balance the game nicely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Distance on the map is almost a non-factor in Kemet (1.0 at least) too, so you can a basically always reach the player you can beat in a fight. And leaving a weak army on the board is a huge gimme for others, which is why you almost always want to sac them for prayer points so you don't just give a free point to the next player.

Eager to hear more impressions about B&S. I still don't know if I'll play it because the weird parallax effect on the new map hurts my eyes to look at, at least online.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

million dollar mack posted:

gently caress

Wait what did they change? I thought it was just cosmetic stuff and trying to make the map not look hideous?

I love Kemet so much. The whole Matagot trilogy of DOAM games (Cyclades, Kemet, INIS) are such little treasures.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 25, 2021

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Tom Vasel getting irked by Monopoly Builder has just tickled me.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

That's just what I needed to see today, thanks! That was hilarious

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Distance on the map is almost a non-factor in Kemet (1.0 at least) too, so you can a basically always reach the player you can beat in a fight. And leaving a weak army on the board is a huge gimme for others, which is why you almost always want to sac them for prayer points so you don't just give a free point to the next player.

Eager to hear more impressions about B&S. I still don't know if I'll play it because the weird parallax effect on the new map hurts my eyes to look at, at least online.

it now takes up like 2 entire tables once set up. And if a game is close score-wise, the last bit is extremely Munchkin-like in that players HAVE to gang up on the leader, but then the next player can just swoop in and win.
It felt like it took too long also, but I cannot recall if that was a thing with the original game or not. It's still a good game, just overstays it's welcome, which is a thing with pretty much any game that involves politics and combat.

He keeps looking dumber each time i see him.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

it now takes up like 2 entire tables once set up. And if a game is close score-wise, the last bit is extremely Munchkin-like in that players HAVE to gang up on the leader, but then the next player can just swoop in and win.
It felt like it took too long also, but I cannot recall if that was a thing with the original game or not. It's still a good game, just overstays it's welcome, which is a thing with pretty much any game that involves politics and combat.

Not to be dismissive, but nothing posted about Kemet 2e so far sounds different than the first. It's always been a game about bashing the leader, saving your move actions till the end of the round, jumping on weak armies, etc.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
The veteran tokens may be new. If you are in a combat either as a defender and/or as a participant that did not get a VP, you get a veteran token. These can be traded in during night phase either to recruit a soldier, a DI card, or a PP per token.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah looking over the new rules and changes, it seems like the power curve overall is increased. I assume that was to speed the early game up but I could also see that backfiring and stalling the game later on if players aren't focused on permanent VP sources.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

nordichammer posted:

The veteran tokens may be new. If you are in a combat either as a defender and/or as a participant that did not get a VP, you get a veteran token. These can be traded in during night phase either to recruit a soldier, a DI card, or a PP per token.

There was a translation error in the rulebook, a DI card is supposed to cost 2 veteran tokens. Also, the phrasing for trading veteran tokens for units was poorly chosen, by the rules they have to go into an empty district but the intent was that you couldn't recruit them into a district controlled by an opponent.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
My particular bit of scorn is for the game end trigger - game ends when it is the turn of the player with the most VP (who has more than 8).

To me this just resulted in a perpetual cycle of grabbing the lead , then watching it get eroded as everyone stops you from winning. Then it comes back to your turn and you have to stop someone else winning.

It just means that really the only decisive moment is at the end of the game - everything until then is just prep for the final rounds, and if you make a tile selection mistake early you are done for. Perhaps that’s how the game always was but I felt like 1.0 rewarded aggressive early and midgame play.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Bottom Liner posted:

Not to be dismissive, but nothing posted about Kemet 2e so far sounds different than the first. It's always been a game about bashing the leader, saving your move actions till the end of the round, jumping on weak armies, etc.

I should have been more clear with my thoughts: it is pretty much the same as the old version Except for the added veteran tokens and taking up a lot more space. There are probably a few little changes to some of the powers but is pretty much Kemet 1e but takes up more space. Which for some people is good because huge equals good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I've been away from the thread for a spell, what's the new hotness?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I've been away from the thread for a spell, what's the new hotness?

You ;)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
:blush::blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
What are some strategies for learning a new game that no one you know has played? At first I thought YouTube teaching would be good but when I go to actually play a few rounds against myself to test it out, I find I haven’t actually been taught how to play but rather have been shown how the game looks played, if that makes sense.