Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok, Imagine you have a kilogram of water, now divide that by one thousand. You have five of those. VS The little spoon.
So you have the Great circle as it passes though the north pole, and you take one ten-millionth of that... would it be easier if I said it was the distance that light light traveled in 1/300000000 of a second? It doesn't matter which one you use, because you need to divide it again by 100. That's a centimeter. 30 of those. VS *points at the ground*

everyone who uses metric knows about how long a centimetre or 10 centimetres is without thinking of a fraction of the circumference of the earth you fuckwit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Prove it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
this is like West Side Story but instead of knives it's rulers.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok, Imagine you have a kilogram of water, now divide that by one thousand. You have five of those. VS The little spoon.
So you have the Great circle as it passes though the north pole, and you take one ten-millionth of that... would it be easier if I said it was the distance that light light traveled in 1/300000000 of a second? It doesn't matter which one you use, because you need to divide it again by 100. That's a centimeter. 30 of those. VS *points at the ground*

I'm concerned that you may not realize that, in all the countries that use metric, ie. everyone that isn't the US and liberia, they have cooking measures in metric, not imperial

anyway, so long as we're focusing on arbitrary body parts, and noting that there is no body part that could be described as about a meter long, let's bring back the cubit

e: lol I was curious and the loving imperial units for cooking aren't even the same across countries

double e: i will not rest until i achieve victory

World War Mammories has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Jun 24, 2021

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

HootTheOwl posted:

the length of an inch is defined as 2.54cm??

good thing imperial units do not actually exist

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HootTheOwl posted:

Eh you take it too far. It would take great effort to write a post this coherent when being dumb enough to write it unironically.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

my cyberpunk dystopia: being online and only finding an endless fight over imperial vs. metric

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://twitter.com/FishGuyKai/status/1407671643376214017

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

silentsnack posted:

No, it's very simple: an inch is three barley corns laid end-to-end.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

set your thermostats to 2 7/8 π R you heathens. degrees are for specific gravity jfc

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

silentsnack posted:

Or it's the width of your thumb. It's not hard, and the reason why they exist instead of some bullshit math applied to water which you idiots pretend it's constant even though it has a hundred riders making them useless in all contexts except for when you have a tool.
It's amazing how you metric morons have brainwashed yourselves into thinking that units are for conversion and not for conceptualizing sizes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

World War Mammories posted:

I'm concerned that you may not realize that, in all the countries that use metric, ie. everyone that isn't the US and liberia, they have cooking measures in metric, not imperial

anyway, so long as we're focusing on arbitrary body parts, and noting that there is no body part that could be described as about a meter long, let's bring back the cubit

e: lol I was curious and the loving imperial units for cooking aren't even the same across countries

double e: i will not rest until i achieve victory
Being universal isn't what makes a unit good, you loving idiot. What makes it good is that you can apply it in your daily life and have an understanding of what it means.
Metric units have no meaning. They're just as make believe as everything else but unlike a foot they don't even give you a frame of reference. But lol, you let it take over the world. And you wanna know why? The answer is capitalism and trade but if course one of you already got it backwards (because of course a metric apologist would not know their own history) and thought it was revolutionary.
No, moron, switching from things you can understand to having some elite dictate to you what should be the base unit on equally arbitrary criteria is not better.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

starkebn posted:

everyone who uses metric knows about how long a centimetre or 10 centimetres is without thinking of a fraction of the circumference of the earth you fuckwit

Oh wow, you mean you take your stupid loving units and translate them into something you can use only to translate them back to useless loving units units? This is a great system you have here.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

this is amazing content

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
yeah I want to participate but I’d honestly rather just watch

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
are there any crudely animated universes with base 9 counting system because the characters only have three fingers

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

are there any crudely animated universes with base 9 counting system because the characters only have three fingers

this is the secret on why the simpsons' stonecutters must keep the metric system down

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Look, Metric or Imperial aside, I think we can all agree that orchestras should be tuning A to 432 Hz.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

1/1000 of a liter of water (arbitrary and depends on pressure and temperature) is 1 gram (1/1000 scaling factor *poof* disappears) which is 1 cubic cm (1/100 scaling factor *poof* appears)

yeah that's really good and logical lmao

at least a litre is an easy human relatable volume unlike cm or gram which are too small

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One inch is defined as the space between your thumb and finger when indicating to someone how close you were.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

kraken! posted:

set your thermostats to 2 7/8 π R you heathens. degrees are for specific gravity jfc

kelvin temp scale is not in degrees you whiffed an actually insightful point

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Man, my time was less wasted playing Fallout 76 and hitting dabs all night, glad I chose wisely.

Speaking of, what loving measurements are they using in that game? Seems like meters for distance but pounds for weight. The gently caress, bethesda.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

there's also the planck units which are not quite as arbitrary because they are the only way to convert units without scale factors and/or they derived from universal constants of nature.

But they are all inhuman as gently caress like the fundimental length is a trillion trillion trillion times shorter than a proton diamtere or w/e

except the fundimental energy is what you get when you burn ~10 gallons of gasoline and that one is pretty relatable

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

WrightOfWay posted:

Look, Metric or Imperial aside, I think we can all agree that orchestras should be tuning A to 432 Hz.

this is now part of Lyndon larouches platform btw

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Man, my time was less wasted playing Fallout 76 and hitting dabs all night, glad I chose wisely.

Speaking of, what loving measurements are they using in that game? Seems like meters for distance but pounds for weight. The gently caress, bethesda.

better pounds than stones

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Weapon rate of fire is measured in bullets per five seconds, for some loving reason.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

WrightOfWay posted:

ah yes, the original vaporwave

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Bilirubin posted:

my cyberpunk dystopia: being online and only finding an endless fight over imperial vs. metric

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HootTheOwl posted:

It’s not a division of a full great circle. It’s one ten millionth of the distance from the Equator to the North Pole, on the meridian passing through Paris, i.e. a quarter of the polar circumference.

It’s a bit short because the French Revolution caused irregularities in the surveying.

The centi/deci/deca/hecto prefixes are poo poo, though. You got that right. Go straight from millimetres to full metres.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Jun 24, 2021

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Pounds per square inch as a unit of pressure

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

perepelki posted:

i just read the harper's bazaar tiktok article and then opened tiktok for the first time in my life, only to be immediately presented with this

hope someone saved it

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
being universally accepted by everyone except morons is actually what makes a system of measurements good. and when bebylon falls... the final bastion of heretical measurements will be annihilated

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

We live in the shittiest possible unitpunk dystopia

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

Or it's the width of your thumb. It's not hard, and the reason why they exist instead of some bullshit math applied to water which you idiots pretend it's constant even though it has a hundred riders making them useless in all contexts except for when you have a tool.
It's amazing how you metric morons have brainwashed yourselves into thinking that units are for conversion and not for conceptualizing sizes.

HootTheOwl posted:

Being universal isn't what makes a unit good, you loving idiot. What makes it good is that you can apply it in your daily life and have an understanding of what it means.
Metric units have no meaning. They're just as make believe as everything else but unlike a foot they don't even give you a frame of reference. But lol, you let it take over the world. And you wanna know why? The answer is capitalism and trade but if course one of you already got it backwards (because of course a metric apologist would not know their own history) and thought it was revolutionary.
No, moron, switching from things you can understand to having some elite dictate to you what should be the base unit on equally arbitrary criteria is not better.

Facts

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Metric system is Ivory tower elitism at its worst

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

holy christ what is happening in this thread lmfao

put me down for team metric. imperial is dumb as poo poo and it's telling that it ceases to exist the second you step into your first science class

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lil poopendorfer posted:

Metric system is Ivory tower elitism at its worst

how is that thumb tower of your doing nowadays?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

bawfuls posted:

going back in time and forcing weird experiments on pre-humans until they all have 6 digits on each hand and foot instead of 5 so that humans universally develop base-12 counting systems

Just teach them to count the Sumerian way:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think I can bend 2 and 3 seperately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think I can bend 2 and 3 seperately

You use the thumb to point at whatever number you're at, if I'm interpreting that pic correctly