Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
We know a single person can become a variant multiple times, like the many Lokis we've seen.

So, I'm thinking the person bringing in all the trinkets to Judge Renslayer that Mobius commented on, is another version of Mobius. Which is why she was so cagey about revealing who they were.

That's why there were also the coffee stains in different places, it wasn't our Mobius putting the cup down in different spots each time, it was variant Mobiuses each putting their cups down in their own variant spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Also, what are the spoiler rules? We have people spoilering stuff, but also posting clips...?
I'm being a total jerk because I can't spoiler embedded mp4s.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We know a single person can become a variant multiple times, like the many Lokis we've seen.

So, I'm thinking the person bringing in all the trinkets to Judge Renslayer that Mobius commented on, is another version of Mobius. Which is why she was so cagey about revealing who they were.

That's why there were also the coffee stains in different places, it wasn't our Mobius putting the cup down in different spots each time, it was variant Mobiuses each putting their cups down in their own variant spot.

I think that'd be a cute way to make Renslayer's "all those stains are from you" line work in a different way.

Rewatching the clip in question, it's got some dust flowing back up, the music kind of reverses for a bit, and it looks like Loki quickly makes a gesture like he's grabbing something out of thin air right before it, though his hand is quickly empty right after that. I'd call some sort of time shenanigan at least plausible for now.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

I'm being a total jerk because I can't spoiler embedded mp4s.

To be clear I wasn't calling you out, just wanted to make sure I was following rules and regulations. I don't post here often :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Chekhov's Jetski.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Loki used the Force, and the multiverse is how Marvel's going to integrate Star Wars

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Loki used the Force, and the multiverse is how Marvel's going to integrate Star Wars

No joke, while I was watching the episode I thought to myself "this looks like an extra set from The Mandalorian". Which is not a slam, since The Mandalorian had great sets.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Marsupial Ape posted:

No joke, while I was watching the episode I thought to myself "this looks like an extra set from The Mandalorian". Which is not a slam, since The Mandalorian had great sets.

It probably uses the same technology.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It looked fantastic.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I haven't seen anyone here mention Loki throwing a cup on the ground and yelling "another!" like a certain other Asgardian. That was low key :grin: my favorite part of the episode.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mage_Boy posted:

Yes they have been using the same tech for Loki. Especially the TVA scenes.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Mage_Boy posted:

I’m talking about the general aesthetic. The color palette was very Jack Kirby, though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Robot Style posted:

In the full-res shot it does look like smoke is being sucked back into the building at the break point.
I can assure you what you're seeing is the same effect that smoke has when you wave your arm through a cloud: It wooshes with the wind in the direction of whatever's going through it. It's not a time reversal effect, it's just normal smoke dynamics.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It felt weird to take such a detour when the 2nd episode set up a huge event (all those reset charges going off) and we didn't get to explore any of that, or anything else about the TVA other than the fact that some or all its workers are brainwashed/enslaved into working for them. The episode ends on a big 'oh no they can't escape the doomed planet!' but obviously they will at some point, so the whole plot feels really pointless because you know they're going to end up back at the TVA so maybe they should have just dealt more with that? The episode was pretty unsatisfying in terms of expanding on what they've established so far.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

It felt weird to take such a detour when the 2nd episode set up a huge event (all those reset charges going off) and we didn't get to explore any of that, or anything else about the TVA other than the fact that some or all its workers are brainwashed/enslaved into working for them. The episode ends on a big 'oh no they can't escape the doomed planet!' but obviously they will at some point, so the whole plot feels really pointless because you know they're going to end up back at the TVA so maybe they should have just dealt more with that? The episode was pretty unsatisfying in terms of expanding on what they've established so far.

Seems like the whole point of all those reset charges was to get everyone out of the TVA. We can probably assume that the agents will be able to get all the redlining under control.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I seriously resent the fact that we're only getting three more episodes. This kind of mini-series format doesn't work well. DD/JJ/LC/IF were ideal in terms of length — maybe they had some filler content or even a filler episode or two, but by the end of each one you felt satisfied. I really feel like this one will feel more like an appetizer by the end, with no entrée following it.

In a way, Multiverse of Madness is the entrée after WandaVision and Captain America 4 after FAWS so Loki will probably lead into something.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 24, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, it was communicated immediately that the charges were a distraction.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
theory: Does seem pretty clear that this is all an enchantment when you compare the start and end of the episode. My current pick is that Loki reversed the enchantment effect but doesn't fully understand how it works - thus he needs to question her about it.

Had a theory that the primary reason it needed to be Sylvie's memories is that the start of the ep talked about how it's all about using places from the target's memory - and Sylvie recognises this place immediately while Loki doesn't. But I checked back and it looks like the most likely
place would be 9:21 after they land there.

But the dialogue there feels like a hint:

Sylvie goes in for the enchant
Loki says 'what are you doing?'
Sylvie says 'what are YOU doing?'

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
If it's a straightforward scene, the old lady in the house is just an old lady in a house but if it's an enchantment, it seems like there has to be more to her than meets the eye.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I was super sure the device showing the low battery warning and later being broken were illusions by Loki to buy himself some time to try and gain her trust in a life or death situation, find out what her plan really is and see if he can use her to get to the time keepers, and as a would be nice maybe find out how her mind tricks work. But with them stretching it into two episodes I don't know if that'd be enough of a payoff for the writers to be aiming for.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
if that whole scenario is Loki trying to figure out the enchantments it would be funny if Sylvie figures out his illusions, too

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NowonSA posted:

I'm seeing some people call episode 3 filler, but I think it got a lot done. You really needed the two Lokis to get lots of time together, and making this episode all about them was a good choice. It could have been better executed in some ways, but the core plot and idea of it didn't come across as filler to me.

Eh, not really. All we know by the end of the episode is the two Lokis are working together right now out of mutual survival interest but don't trust each other because they are Lokis. Sylvie knows more about the TVA than Loki does and has the power to enchant people.

All of that we actually knew by the end of episode 2. We learn one new thing about the TVA but all that really does is confirm the really heavy hints that 'the TVA is not what it claims to be'. If people genuinely (and fairly) think that it's possible that the whole episode took place as a Sylvie created illusion then that would make it entirely filler.

e: I do appreciate tv that's just two characters interacting with each other so we can explore their relationship, but in a six episode show you need to keep the plot moving.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 24, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This show is really just not grabbing me. I dunno if it's just the writing, or the direction and fight choreography as well, but it's just so boring.
So many scenes are really just two characters talking for 5 minutes and then moving to another location to talk for another 5 minutes. Just endless talking (and the dialogue is pretty bland as well).

Enjoyed the mystery and style of WandaVision, liked Falcon/Winter Soldier enough (but definitely acknowledged it was a step down and just a cut-up action movie), but this feels like wasted potential.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Considering that FAWS and Loki have so far been scaled up movies, it's less that they have to cram a bunch into six hours as it is that they have an extra three and a half to four hours to fill.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sam Faust posted:

I haven't seen anyone here mention Loki throwing a cup on the ground and yelling "another!" like a certain other Asgardian. That was low key :grin: my favorite part of the episode.

I adored this so much. I hope this Loki and Thor get to the same level as Thor’s Loki.

Frankenstyle posted:

I was super sure the device showing the low battery warning and later being broken were illusions by Loki to buy himself some time to try and gain her trust in a life or death situation, find out what her plan really is and see if he can use her to get to the time keepers, and as a would be nice maybe find out how her mind tricks work. But with them stretching it into two episodes I don't know if that'd be enough of a payoff for the writers to be aiming for.

This… is actually a pretty great theory and knowing Loki this is perfect. I am definitely looking forward to seeing next week’s episode picking up exactly where we left off and Loki looks at Loki and says, “Well good thing we have this” as he makes it magically appear in his hand all perfectly fine.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I adored this so much. I hope this Loki and Thor get to the same level as Thor’s Loki.

This… is actually a pretty great theory and knowing Loki this is perfect. I am definitely looking forward to seeing next week’s episode picking up exactly where we left off and Loki looks at Loki and says, “Well good thing we have this” as he makes it magically appear in his hand all perfectly fine.

Yeah, I'm hoping I'm right because it bums me out a little seeing Loki being everyone's punching bag in this show and I really want him to have a good "Surprise, motherfuckers!" moment.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

To me, the issue is that the show has no stakes. It's hard to get invested in the sacred timeline when the only reason we care about it is because the shady organization says we should care about it. FATWS's ostensible A-plot, with the Flag Smashers, was allowed to be shittier because the B-plot, about Steve's legacy and how that interacts with Sam's sense of himself and a generic good soldier, was very solid (you might quibble over what's the A or B plot, but hopefully you get the idea). I think the common sentiment was that Wandavision's big stupid CGI fight finale was bad but the quieter emotional moments of her saying goodbye to her family were good.

Loki doesn't have that back up. The only plot is, effectively, "what is going on with The Variant," which we only care about because we're told to care about it by an organization we don't trust. Loki as a character is more or less where we saw him in Infinity War, which is understandable (and maybe correct; I'm not sure how I'd feel about another 6 hours of The Redemption of Loki Whateverson), but there weren't ready made emotional hooks for that, and the show really isn't bothering to develop new ones.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Robot Style posted:

In the full-res shot it does look like smoke is being sucked back into the building at the break point. The bigger tell for time shenanigans is that there's no green glow, since all the infinity stones are helpfully color coded (though that also implies the planet is being destroyed via the power stone).

Air/smoke is still a physical object. Loki flung the building part backward with such speed and force that it pulled the smoke with it in its wake. Ever been on the side of a road/highway when a big truck passes you at speed and felt the "breeze" when that happens? That's what this was. It wasn't "Time magic." It was somebody who was including the actual physics of how this would work.

Edited to add:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

drat you for suggesting that because it makes so much sense.

Now I need a scene with a bunch of Mobiuses (Mobiui?) riding into battle. On Jet-skis. Possibly to the music of Ride of the Valkyries.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 24, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Boxman posted:

To me, the issue is that the show has no stakes. It's hard to get invested in the sacred timeline when the only reason we care about it is because the shady organization says we should care about it. FATWS's ostensible A-plot, with the Flag Smashers, was allowed to be shittier because the B-plot, about Steve's legacy and how that interacts with Sam's sense of himself and a generic good soldier, was very solid (you might quibble over what's the A or B plot, but hopefully you get the idea). I think the common sentiment was that Wandavision's big stupid CGI fight finale was bad but the quieter emotional moments of her saying goodbye to her family were good.

Loki doesn't have that back up. The only plot is, effectively, "what is going on with The Variant," which we only care about because we're told to care about it by an organization we don't trust. Loki as a character is more or less where we saw him in Infinity War, which is understandable (and maybe correct; I'm not sure how I'd feel about another 6 hours of The Redemption of Loki Whateverson), but there weren't ready made emotional hooks for that, and the show really isn't bothering to develop new ones.

We are also only half-way through the series. So maybe give it a chance to breath?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Boxman posted:

I think it's worse than that, the plot is transparently 'how does Disney get Hiddleston back into the MCU having killed off his character in the last film?'

That's the actual point in the finale we're all watching this for.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Alchenar posted:

I do appreciate tv that's just two characters interacting with each other so we can explore their relationship, but in a six episode show you need to keep the plot moving.

Why? :raise:

It's not like there's a "sacred" pacing for TV that all shows have to stick to; if the show has enough room to tell it's story then why is it a bad thing if it sets aside one episode for the cast to explore a relationship even in a short show? A short show doesn't require that everything be laser focused to maintain interest any more than a long show.

Anita Dickinme posted:

I doubt that can happen, since the TemPad isn't charged, and if the Arc has been destroyed then they've lost their only chance at charging it going by what the episode set up. It's more likely someone reveals an illusion in place on top of the TemPad being okay, so that they can reveal the Arc is fine and they still have the time to move and get it charged. Which, if the TemPad is okay then it has to be our Loki doing the illusion, since Sylvie would have no reason to pretend it's broken. I'm betting it's Loki screwing with Sylvie, since her falling asleep just seemed so out of character even with the little that was established about her. I think Loki's constant screw ups are a lie he's telling to feed her sense of superiority towards him, along with increasing stakes by having them hosed off the train and the Moon about to hit so that she's too concerned about time/danger to realize "there's something weird here".

Boxman posted:

To me, the issue is that the show has no stakes.

The stakes are Loki's life/existence, along with establishing what his role will be going forward if he survives. It kind of doesn't matter if Loki survives the story so long as the TVA does in it's current form, because he has no place in the established timeline to go back to without constantly being hounded the rest of his life the way Sylvie has been if he doesn't overthrow the TVA and/or cut a deal with the Timekeepers. Assuming they exist at all. Which, even if it ends up re-establishing the status quo after Ragnarok doesn't really matter, at least to me, in the story itself. The stakes still exist. I don't think it will just default to our Loki slipping into his place at the end of Thor: Ragnarok though, because (a) that Thor has also changed in the meantime, given up the throne entirely and decided to go on a journey and find out who he is across the cosmos, so our Loki can't comfortably fit into that dynamic anymore (or can't do so immediately at least) and (b) our Loki has also now been exposed to information that completely changes his conception of the cosmos, his place in it and how he relates to others in a way not even Thor: Ragnarok Loki was. He's already at least one step beyond where that Loki was really.

I could see an eventual Odinson/Loki buddy movie about their adventures in the cosmos as they take on cosmic threats or authorities at a scale even beyond what the Avengers are exposd to, but I don't think the two would naturally fall into that dynamic straight away at the end of this show either since Thor has no reason to trust our Loki following his Loki's death, among other things.

Honestly though, I'm hoping this Loki never gets to go back to the MCU as we know it, and instead becomes the MCU version of Doctor Who or even just Booster Gold, constantly skipping through time and space to new locations and never quite appreciated. Thor still thinks he died, and Loki recognizes that he can't go back without disrupting that MCU's timeline and causing harm to it, so his past behavior means he can never have the relationships he wanted with his family even after finally recognizing that he's the rear end in a top hat in the dynamic.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 24, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

I think it's worse than that, the plot is transparently 'how does Disney get Hiddleston back into the MCU having killed off his character in the last film?'

That's the actual point in the finale we're all watching this for.

You could also say that WandaVision was just "How does Disney get Paul Bettany back into the MCU having killed off his character in the same movie that killed off Hiddleston's character?" but there was more to that show as well.

I think the big plot of the Loki show is "What kind of person is Loki going to choose to become now that he has an actual informed choice in the matter?"

One thing with the episode's opening scene with Sylvie and Hunter C-20 is that I failed to recognize Sasha Lane outside her Minutemen get-up and rocking a cute outfit. I thought for a second we were getting Sylvie's "origin story" of why she hates the TVA. That she was on a date with her girlfriend when suddenly [insert TVA interference]. But no, it was Sylvie interrogating C-20.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

One thing with the episode's opening scene with Sylvie and Hunter C-20 is that I failed to recognize Sasha Lane outside her Minutemen get-up and rocking a cute outfit. I thought for a second we were getting Sylvie's "origin story" of why she hates the TVA. That she was on a date with her girlfriend when suddenly [insert TVA interference]. But no, it was Sylvie interrogating C-20.

Speaking of Sasha Lane, she seems like a relatively big actress for the role she's playing. Maybe Feige's just a big American Honey fan, or maybe I'm overestimating her, but it seems like C-20 is still going to play a big role in this.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

live with fruit posted:

Speaking of Sasha Lane, she seems like a relatively big actress for the role she's playing. Maybe Feige's just a big American Honey fan, or maybe I'm overestimating her, but it seems like C-20 is still going to play a big role in this.

I could definitely see her turning on the TVA now that Sylvie loosened her memories. If she can [spoiler]do the same for all the other workers all hell would break loose at the TVA. That'd be a fun twist. The ending is just a free fall for all [/spoiler]

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Plus, actually, Gugu Mbatha-Raw hasn't done much yet and Richard E. Grant hasn't even shown up, so there's probably a lot left to come.

Another thing I wonder about is Mbatha-Raw, Lane and Mosaku are all British but they're playing their characters with American accents, which seems unnecessary for a place that exists beyond time and space.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Almost every clip in the first two trailers has shown up already, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a second half trailer in the next few days either. Both the previous shows had trailers for the back half too, if I recall.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Has anybody else noticed that this Loki guy is always tricking people and murdering, but it seems like the show wants us to root FOR him?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

tsob posted:

Almost every clip in the first two trailers has shown up already, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get a second half trailer in the next few days either. Both the previous shows had trailers for the back half too, if I recall.

Not quite. There's the shot of a post-apocalyptic New York, a throne room and Vote Loki Loki we're still waiting on.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

Not quite. There's the shot of a post-apocalyptic New York, a throne room and Vote Loki Loki we're still waiting on.

Well that's why I said almost. They only make up a few seconds of either trailer, and we've seen 90% or 95% of the stuff. Which seems like it's around the same quota as when the other two shows put out a new trailer. Plus, one for the final two episodes rather the final three seems like it might be a bit too indicative of events.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

tsob posted:

Well that's why I said almost. They only make up a few seconds of either trailer, and we've seen 90% or 95% of the stuff. Which seems like it's around the same quota as when the other two shows put out a new trailer. Plus, one for the final two episodes rather the final three seems like it might be a bit too indicative of events.

There's also the scenes in the end credits. Those are from objects in the background and actual scenes in the show.

We got to see who gets in the gold elevator (the hand on that scene doesnt seem to.be variant Loki's, looks to wrinkly), and there's a focus on a cabinet-thingy with the number 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least when the Ark is destroyed, you know a bunch of rich assholes who were all going to leave the poor to die died first