Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Congratulations everyone, we did it!

Jesus Christ, it's laughably easy to gently caress up the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Jesus Christ, it's laughably easy to gently caress up the market.

Amazon has weird pricing poo poo that goes on when they sell out of something. You can still get the box sets for pretty normal prices elsewhere.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Amazon got the Garth set back in stock, figured for $18 I'd better earn my gang tag and pick up a copy.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

I wish 2814 would repress this, because it's a great ambient Vaporwave album.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 23, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

Amazon got the Garth set back in stock, figured for $18 I'd better earn my gang tag and pick up a copy.
Holy moly, that wasn't just a Prime Day discount, $18 is just what it costs now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is this thing like a next generation loss leader? Do Garth and Trisha need a big tax write off?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

zaepg posted:

I wish 2814 would repress this, because it's a great ambient Vaporwave album.

:yeah: Hard agree.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Read After Burning posted:

Ooh, nice! The coolest thing I've ever found at a Goodwill is a Kingston Trio album.

I actually looked at two thrifts stores Monday and the most interesting thing there was two Kingston Trio albums. But they had deep scratches so that was right out. At least I found some decent CDs. There was a higher than usual amount of Christian and no name country record albums though, dunno what happened there. It seemed too much to be just one person's collection.

pwn posted:

also loving lol at massive garth brooks box sets (in multiples) being cheap gag gifts

Also I have been meaning to post that I saw you got your record, hope it is a Zevon-y as imagined!

As to Garth Brooks chat I have some random 90s jukebox 45 of his, one of the songs might be about New Orleans maybe, and that's as much Garth Brooks as I need.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Garth still in stock! Order placed! Like hell I'm getting left out of this run.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You're all nuts.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The guy's got some great songs and if you enjoy country at all, this is a great find.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nabbed a VG+ Johnny Cash San Quentin at the local vintage record shop for 8 bucks. I know it’s probably got a million copies in circulation but it’s my first vintage LP purchase.

Also grabbed I Walk the Line and some weird album simply title Tijuana (it was 3 bucks and had a cool cover).

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

You're all nuts.

It’s an investment :colbert:

I went looking for my post from when I got it back in November to show y’all what you got to look forward to, but apparently I never actually posted these photos here. Fixing that now

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I LOVE how this is WRITTEN OUT!!!

It's the perfect gift for the one getting the gift and the one GIVING the gift!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hekk posted:

Nabbed a VG+ Johnny Cash San Quentin at the local vintage record shop for 8 bucks. I know it’s probably got a million copies in circulation but it’s my first vintage LP purchase.

Also grabbed I Walk the Line and some weird album simply title Tijuana (it was 3 bucks and had a cool cover).

That's a great album so who cares if it's not some dumb funko pops Mondo bullshit.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Hekk posted:

Sick grabs, I'm jealous!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hekk posted:

Love me some Johnny Cash. BTW, if any of you haven't seen it, if you can get Columbo on cable, Johnny is the villain in one ep, one of my favorites. He actually sings in it a bit too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hekk posted:

That’s still a great price for an LP you’d actually want to listen to in this market.

And Garth Brooks started making music in the mid 80s, didn’t he? Or at least late 80s. How is this the first time any of his records were released on vinyl?

pwn
May 27, 2004

BigFactory posted:

That’s still a great price for an LP you’d actually want to listen to in this market.

And Garth Brooks started making music in the mid 80s, didn’t he? Or at least late 80s. How is this the first time any of his records were released on vinyl?

He was playing before but his first album was released in 1989, followed by a record a year through 1993. Of those, the first was the the only one to get a retail US vinyl pressing. No Fences was only available through BMG Music Service and Columbia House’s waning vinyl clubs, and Ropin the Wind through Columbia House. All five also had a handful of releases in other countries.

It should be noted that this set only has his second, fourth, fifth and sixth albums. The last, Fresh Horses, had never been pressed on vinyl before.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I grabbed some cheap Pioneer CS-G104 speakers yesterday for :10bux: at Goodwill. Haven't wired them up (I changed where I wanted to put one of them and don't have enough speaker wire now, but it'll get here tomorrow) but doing some research, I've discovered that I really like the aesthetic of the Pioneer CS-822A. I think eventually I'd like to go with something similar, for looks for than anything to be honest.

These are apparently rare (in the US) and I don't want to pay for rarity if I don't have to. Is there something that gives off similar vibes, isn't poo poo, and isn't expensive?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

So I grabbed some cheap Pioneer CS-G104 speakers yesterday for :10bux: at Goodwill. Haven't wired them up (I changed where I wanted to put one of them and don't have enough speaker wire now, but it'll get here tomorrow) but doing some research, I've discovered that I really like the aesthetic of the Pioneer CS-822A. I think eventually I'd like to go with something similar, for looks for than anything to be honest.

These are apparently rare (in the US) and I don't want to pay for rarity if I don't have to. Is there something that gives off similar vibes, isn't poo poo, and isn't expensive?

Speakers like that used to be called/are still called? kabuki speakers. It’s almost certainly a culturally insensitive term, but if you’re doing a google search, that phrase will get you a lot farther than “70’s speaker with big woofer and lots of tweeters”.

Most of the big name manufacturers in the late 70s/early 80’s made speakers like that, some are well regarded, most are just loud. The flashier they look under the hood, typically the worse they sound from an accuracy POV. Still loud, still good for rock music.

The problem is that they’re bulky and heavy, so trying to buy online will cost a fortune in shipping. My advice is to keep an eye out on Facebook/Craigslist for people selling a pair locally. Or you may have a vintage hi-fi shop local. At a thrift shop I would expect to pay about $50 for a pair if you can find a pair, more on Craigslist, more than that at a store. But still I would hope under $100. Prices on eBay will be crazy, everything like that is marked way up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

Speakers like that used to be called/are still called? kabuki speakers. It’s almost certainly a culturally insensitive term, but if you’re doing a google search, that phrase will get you a lot farther than “70’s speaker with big woofer and lots of tweeters”.

Most of the big name manufacturers in the late 70s/early 80’s made speakers like that, some are well regarded, most are just loud. The flashier they look under the hood, typically the worse they sound from an accuracy POV. Still loud, still good for rock music.

The problem is that they’re bulky and heavy, so trying to buy online will cost a fortune in shipping. My advice is to keep an eye out on Facebook/Craigslist for people selling a pair locally. Or you may have a vintage hi-fi shop local. At a thrift shop I would expect to pay about $50 for a pair if you can find a pair, more on Craigslist, more than that at a store. But still I would hope under $100. Prices on eBay will be crazy, everything like that is marked way up.

Are the integrated controls and lights also typical of 'kabuki' speakers? I realize that they're stupid but that's part of the reason I like them. They have that 'eighties excessive' look to them.

I definitely like some of these, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Are the integrated controls and lights also typical of 'kabuki' speakers? I realize that they're stupid but that's part of the reason I like them. They have that 'eighties excessive' look to them.

I definitely like some of these, though.

The tone controls for sure (although that used to be very common on speakers, just usually not front and center). Lights not so much. Do those speakers have lights?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

The tone controls for sure (although that used to be very common on speakers, just usually not front and center). Lights not so much. Do those speakers have lights?

Looks like they have LEDs in the upper corners.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

Looks like they have LEDs in the upper corners.

Dammit, can't attach a file when editing. Anyway, these things. So you can always be in the danger zone. I think they want $650 for the pair at the site where I found this picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, LEDs like that aren’t super common. Or are just uncommon. I’ll check my pair of Kenwoods out today. They might have one led each but maybe not any.

I would never pay $650 for that pair of speakers. You can get amazing speakers for $650 if you spend your money wisely.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

Yeah, LEDs like that aren’t super common. Or are just uncommon. I’ll check my pair of Kenwoods out today. They might have one led each but maybe not any.

I would never pay $650 for that pair of speakers. You can get amazing speakers for $650 if you spend your money wisely.

Oh yeah I'd never pay that, maybe $150 max. Gonna be keeping my eyes out though now that I kinda know more about them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Reminds me, I bought a pair of Philips MCD788 bookshelf speakers Monday, apparently they're pretty good for 4 ohm speakers. I love the enclosures, they're cute and so solid and airtight.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

dorium posted:

ah ok, thanks for the info. I'll wait then.

Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comatorium is now available on Vinyl Me, Please. I think a one-month subscription is like, $50 now but that's still cheaper than the regular reissue.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 24, 2021

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

CPL whips rear end. gently caress man, I'm dying. This was postmarked before I promised him the BJ behind the Shake Shack too. (And it was only for the It Follows)

https://imgur.com/a/dpkPRdV

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Ballz posted:

Mars Volta's Deloused in the Comatorium is now available on Vinyl Me, Please. I think a one-month subscription is like, $50 now but that's still cheaper than the regular reissue.

De-Brooksed in the Garthatorium

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Fors Yard posted:

Lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IG-88 posted:

CPL whips rear end. gently caress man, I'm dying. This was postmarked before I promised him the BJ behind the Shake Shack too. (And it was only for the It Follows)

https://imgur.com/a/dpkPRdV

I like to make it fun when I mail people poo poo.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Fors Yard posted:

Close the thread, we're done here

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Fors Yard posted:

Holy poo poo lol

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

petit choux posted:

And once again bolstering the best Christmas album collection on SA, here you go:

And a foxy new year:

These are good. My best Or at least most obscure Christmas album is the Flaming Lips one

pwn
May 27, 2004

Fors Yard posted:

welp

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Fors Yard posted:

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Garth the Mute