Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The chat thread kind of serves as a void to shout into sometimes. Shits hosed and sometimes we just need to shout about. I know quite a few of my posts in there are basically "ahhh gently caress you gop."

Toons thread provides solid content if you're into political cartoons. It's definitely a place you don't want to binge imo. The level of poo poo can weigh heavy.

Covid thread has sort of devolved into doomerism. Was (and still is really) a great source of covid information.

Parents thread is pretty cool since the "lol why you have kids" background isn't there. Pretty much just chatting about our parenting adventures so it's not really exciting if you're not a parent.

Uhh what else. Sports/other random non-political topics: I like threads about stuff in cspam. Different subs have different posting styles and sometimes I just want to not use capitalizations but still give my thoughts about baseball ok? Similar to the bitcoin threads in gbs vs yospos. Same topic but thread experiences differ and that's great. Another way to think of it: yeah there's a local taco place that's amazing 5 minutes away but sometimes I want taco bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

C-SPAM is the only left-ish space online that you can talk leftist politics in that's not jam packed to the rafters with absolute hooting maniacs, boring as gently caress, or both in equal measure. Not to say it can't use any improvement but it's pretty good, and that is miles and miles ahead of any similar thing you can find online.

This was a good PE post, I want to zero in on this as it's what attracts me to CSPAM. A good example of this is the eurasia thread. Compared to other portions of the internet, it's nice to have an area where you can discuss stuff like China without the racism.

Megathread stuff:

I don't really think that megathreads are bad persay. All the ones we have on the various regions (latin america, middle east/africa, eurasia) are pretty solid. However most of the people who post in that thread are also pretty active throughout CSPAM. Maybe it's because I am a regular to the thread but it never seems like anyone is attacked for being an outsider. Normally it's for whatever their posting gimmick is.

I don't personally read the climate change, doomsday economics, trump thread, and the covid thread but people post snippets out of those threads and they seem not good.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Jun 25, 2021

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

The Chairman posted:

re: people getting the angriest at sixers, I can confirm -- on that previously-mentioned Discord server, mods sometimes hand out "warnings", which are just a message from a bot to cut it out, and people get even angrier about those than a temporary mute. I don't know why the smallest stakes provoke the biggest blowouts but I think that's just human nature

People get pissed about arbitrary and joke sixers because maybe they were planning on posting for a few hours as a distraction or just to let off steam. Suddenly they are on probation for nothing they did wrong, and while it may be funny, they had planned to just post for awhile and now they can't.

I know in the big scheme of things it doesn't mean anything but at the moment it can be completely loving annoying.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I rarely post anymore but I read a lot of the threads in CSPAM. Actually, I'm kind of on a break right now and I haven't really read or interacted with most of this website in probably a month. That is my choice, because I needed a break and I often think I spend too much drat time just reading through threads when I could be doing something... anything else. CSPAM is good. There is a ton of quality content. Maybe it is more of a journalistic rag at times than a serious space but that is fine, it is entertaining and informative.

I can talk theory or have an informed debate but you know what??? I don't want to. Like many have said before me, I'm getting old and tired and I deal with serious poo poo at work all day and I don't want to be bound by rules and restrictions about my style or posting quality. I don't want to have intense debates because years of posting in D&D taught me that is a waste of time and just debating to debate is masturbatory to the extreme. I guess some people find that fun but gently caress that.

I guess I don't contribute much anymore but I still like reading this garbage.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Covid thread has sort of devolved into doomerism. Was (and still is really) a great source of covid information.

Yeah I had to check out of the covid thread a few months ago. It's not just negativity, we have that in plenty of threads.

With the covid thread it's like anyone posting good news or optimism or questioning napkin math or demurring about the latest hate target is presumed to be a chud downplaying mass prole death who must be run out of the thread asap for counterrevolutionary activity. Sometimes it felt like the thread was just people coming in for news, failing to read the room, and getting loving reamed for a few pages.

Like dude that thread used to be such a good source of news and info. Eventually it was like watching a struggle session, every day, piloted by scared and angry people. It was legit bad for my mental health so I located the nearest exit.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
This place is absolutely one of the best places to scream into the void and have a handful of voices hooting back at you; I don't find myself posting here as often as I used to because I have comparatively less to scream into the void about than I did a year ago, but I still read the megathreads and honestly a politics forum where you don't need to dance around bad faith arguments and/or being moderated (entirely) by closet psychopaths is absolutely the best part of this forum.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I mean yeah the covid thread is bad but also I think the thread about a world wide pandemic becoming full of doom is both unique and unlikely to be repeated in the near future and doesn't feel like a great example of normal cspam. Like, I just don't know what else to expect from a covid thread except doom unless someone is moderating it really hard.

This isn't really directed anyone specific, just my two cents incase someone looks at the covid thread and thinks that's typical cspam. The thread about an active pandemic is darker than most.

Gumball Gumption has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Jun 25, 2021

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

This place is absolutely one of the best places to scream into the void and have a handful of voices hooting back at you; I don't find myself posting here as often as I used to because I have comparatively less to scream into the void about than I did a year ago, but I still read the megathreads and honestly a politics forum where you don't need to dance around bad faith arguments and/or being moderated (entirely) by closet psychopaths is absolutely the best part of this forum.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The climate change thread is a good example of discussing a soul crushingly bleak topic in detail among likeminded folks without getting aggro about it imo

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean yeah the covid thread is bad but also I think the thread about a world wide pandemic becoming full of doom is both unique and unlikely to be repeated in the near future and doesn't feel like a great example of normal cspam. Like, I just don't know what else to expect from a covid thread except doom unless someone is moderating it really hard.

This isn't really directed anyone specific, just my two cents incase someone looks at the covid thread and thinks that's typical cspam. The thread about an active pandemic is darker than most.

I'd say break probes and maybe locking the thread for a day. Not as punishments, but just as a general "hey, try to have some optimism in your posting". This isn't a call to do some forced positivity - if the situation is bad, it's bad and should be allowed to be called bad. But if things are good or trending good or theres reasons to be hopeful, don't just subside into doom for no reason.

I wouldn't suggest this for the climate thread though because lol there's nothing positive there, just don't look in that thread.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, climate thread isn't dooming. They're just right and have the numbers to back it up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Don't touch the megathreads. They all work and nothing should change that. People have it in for certain threads, and they should self-reflect.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

I'd say break probes and maybe locking the thread for a day. Not as punishments, but just as a general "hey, try to have some optimism in your posting". This isn't a call to do some forced positivity - if the situation is bad, it's bad and should be allowed to be called bad. But if things are good or trending good or theres reasons to be hopeful, don't just subside into doom for no reason.

I haven't dipped into the Covid thread in a while, but this is the kind of heavy handed moderation that I don't think will be terribly effective. It may temporarily cut down on a specific "unwanted" kind of posting, but will probably backfire into the thread turning on the mod team. Maybe a mod presence that instead tries to guide the discussion in a different direction through good posts might have a more positive and long lasting affect.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Iridium posted:

Out of curiosity, what is it that you're hoping to have in hand when this thread wraps up? I don't mean the feedback that you're soliciting, what specifically is it that you're hoping that the feedback defines or directs for you? And what's the outcome you're hoping for, the happy path where you have what you need and all is well at the admin level?

Are you looking to create a blueprint for CSPAM moderation? Are you trying to define where to get hands on or hands off in this forum? Are you just searching for deeper understanding of the nature of CSPAM? Are you, in fact, a CIA/FBI/D&D honeypot trying to shore up a list of posters to put on a watchlist?

I have thoughts and feedback but I want to make sure I understand the intent before I get in to any of it.

The bulk of admin poo poo we have to deal with comes from politics forums. Vitriol and hatred and disagreements that spill over into personal vendettas and sometimes actual threat bullshit. It is not everyone, and it is not some den of evil clearly, but I'd like to know more about a place I spend more than 90% of my admin time dealing with or thinking about. The picture painted in this thread is different than the one in my inbox over the years, or QCS threads.

So to answer your 2nd set of questions first: Yes. All that. I want to leave CSPAM with moderation that you can live with. I want to find out what the actual issues are vs what the loud people say they are.

I'd like to leave this thread with a better understanding of what CSPAM is (or thinks it is), and be better equipped to respond to things that pop up, and figure out problems that come across my desk.

I'd like to be able to give a road map to current and future CSPAM mods about what their community wants.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my new feedback is that I like the above users av, and Root is a great game and everyone in cspam should play it

I thought it was Kiri the Kenku.

Well, sorry I worded it that way I guess, but cspam is absolutely treated as a den of violent maniacs lusting for death and/or fully blackpilled nihilist doomers itching to go on forum invasions and doxx wrongthinkers.
If it's outside the scope of the thread I won't bring it up again or talk about why this is, but I sincerely hope that in reading this thread you guys recognize that it's not only harmless, but one of, if not the best internet left community out there and full of people who are engaged with and emotionally invested in it

That topic is fine, the way you approached it is not. Immediately jumping to making GBS threads on other people isn't constructive and doesnt help me.

Going to other places and going "Look at these loving morons" is one of the current issues. You say CSPAM isn't those things, but a very large amount of people outside this forum think it is because the people that show up in QCS or D&D, to defend CSPAM give that vibe off hard. The same people who send 30 messages to someone who posted something in D&D because they saw their post in the CSPAM Climate Change thread.

The thing I hear is "Who cares if we quote someone and make fun of them in this thread." But the problem is, it never ever stops there. So when a mod steps in and says "knock if off please" they get destroyed for asking in here.

vyelkin posted:

Maybe we could have a stickied thread for new threads? Like if you make a thread you can post in there to advertise it or to see if people are interested before you make it, and bookmark browsers could be encouraged to at least bookmark the new threads thread so they see what's going on in the forum? I dunno, maybe that's stupid and we should just all be willing to make the extra click or two to browse the forum itself.

This works well in Games. There is a directory.

And while I'm on the subject of Megathreads, I'm not looking to make any huge sweeping changes or anything. It's just a topic that comes up in QCS sometimes, and I wanted to get a feel how the users over here feel about them. There are people on both sides.

I personally feel, and have seen around the forums, when you refresh a thread, it brings new people, fresh fun ideas, threads are better, and that "This thread is just a insular circle jerk" feeling never happens.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

docbeard posted:

I genuinely wish I knew how to combat this perception given that the response in this thread to this topic from probably the most reasonable fair-minded admin we've got (no offence Shine, I think you're probably super-reasonable and fair-minded too, I just don't know you as well) was

Which reads to me like it's seen as a one-sided conflict that (a few posters in) CSPAM are instigating all on their lonesome against Poor Innocent Insert Other Subform Name Here. And while I certainly won't deny that this sort of thing happens, it's quite far from the whole story. We get "brigaded" about as often as we "brigade" (and I kind of hate that term because of what it implies about how posters should just Stay In Their Lane and certainly not post in two different forums), we get people demanding that our threads get gassed or moved to some other forum or that we be shut down on almost a daily basis in QCS (which sure isn't necessarily something that should be taken seriously, but it's probably a semi-useful barometer), etc.

Yeah, and like I said before, part of the issue is people say "loving CSPAM did XXXX" when...it's not CSPAM. It's most the time some rear end in a top hat who doesn't understand they dont have to read things they dont enjoy and just go hard. Calling something "CSPAM" is just an easy label, so then it spreads and the entirety of CSPAM gets hit with that perception.

docbeard posted:

We've seen in the not too distant past what happens when a single forum becomes the scapegoat for all of Something Awful's ills. I'd very much like that to not happen again to anyone, much less to my favorite Something Awful forum.

Yeah, I'd also like to avoid this.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Jazerus posted:

i don't mean to be mean here, but if you really can stride into the trump/chat thread and not recognize anyone who is posting in there, you are the one that is in an insular part of cspam. most of the people who post in there post in tons of other threads. i would have said that there isn't a thread on the subforum that doesn't have trump/chat thread posters in it, but apparently that's not the case? weird.

jazerus, i understand why you might have this perception, but i want to challenge it--as an extremely unscientific measure i just copied the top posters lists from the top 6-7 threads in cspam rn into a notepad doc and started doing ctrl-f with big names from the trump thread leaderboard, and there's not a lot of overlap!

and yeah if you did the full social graph maybe it's a core group of very prolific thread-specific posters and then everyone who doesn't post that much is a generalist, but it's not at all an inaccurate statement, i think, to say that the trump/chat thread 'core group' is pretty insular

just to disclose my own biases i kept up with trump thread pretty closely from the primaries on and then a few months ago was subjected to the phrase 'former lurker Child A' one too many times and had the scales fall from my eyes

HookedOnChthonics has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Jun 25, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Athanatos posted:

The same people who send 30 messages to someone who posted something in D&D because they saw their post in the CSPAM Climate Change thread.

That sounds like a problem but I don't grasp why it's CSPAM's problem. What happens to someone who sends 30 messages and can't behave themselves in a public place? CSPAM can't kick them out.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Athanatos posted:

The thing I hear is "Who cares if we quote someone and make fun of them in this thread." But the problem is, it never ever stops there. So when a mod steps in and says "knock if off please" they get destroyed for asking in here.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it stops exactly there for most people, and if someone is doing weird PM harassment it should be handled individually.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Gumball Gumption posted:

That sounds like a problem but I don't grasp why it's CSPAM's problem. What happens to someone who sends 30 messages and can't behave themselves in a public place? CSPAM can't kick them out.

It's most of the time someone who was just involved in making fun of that person in a CSPAM thread.

Which, CSPAM is not in charge of every user who posts there, but it seems like when there is a thread or space for making GBS threads on someone or a post here, it never just stops here.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Like we can't stop someone from doing something we don't know and have no way of knowing they are doing.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HookedOnChthonics posted:

jazerus, i understand why you might have this perception, but i want to challenge it--as an extremely unscientific measure i just copied the top posters lists from the top 6-7 threads in cspam rn into a notepad doc and started doing ctrl-f with names from the trump thread leaderboard, and there's not a lot of overlap!

and yeah if you did the full social graph maybe it's a core group of very prolific thread-specific posters and then everyone who doesn't post that much is a generalist, but it's not at all an inaccurate statement, i think, to say that the trump/chat thread 'core group' is pretty insular

just to disclose my own biases i kept up with trump thread pretty closely from the primaries on and then a few months ago was subjected to the phrase 'former lurker Child A' one too many times and had the scales fall from my eyes

oh yeah not gonna disagree that the top posters list probably doesn't have huge overlap. takes a lot of posts to be on the leaderboard in trump thread, who has time to do that and get on a leaderboard in another big thread?

but at the same time the leaderboard doesn't tell the story. if you looked at the top posters for all of the trump threads over the last 6 years they would be wildly different as people fade in and out of wanting to post in that thread a lot. it doesn't really mean much about the overall composition of the thread because a lot of people post in it, and anybody is welcome. it's really not as crazy as it looks

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The trump thread was reborn anew each month and the chat thread probably will be as well. I have no idea if that helped drive engagement in the other threads or whatever, it was done because the first thread got so big the page select drop down was about to break the server. Megathreads should be left alone if only because they'll just pop back up again because people obviously want them, so it'd be a lot of work for no real satisfying conclusion

I'm ambivalent to a formal ban on posting things people are saying elsewhere on this public forum because I don't do it and wouldn't miss it, but I would put money on implementing that causing the frequent fliers in your report queue just finding something else rather than being mollified and your lives made easier. All I'd ask is that it be made forums-wide and not CSPAM specific

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it stops exactly there for most people, and if someone is doing weird PM harassment it should be handled individually.

when I was IK I remember boolagan would send a stream of pms if I probated him. Can only imagine what regular mods deal with in that regard. Agreed that kind of harassment should be dealt with individually.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Athanatos posted:

It's most of the time someone who was just involved in making fun of that person in a CSPAM thread.

Which, CSPAM is not in charge of every user who posts there, but it seems like when there is a thread or space for making GBS threads on someone or a post here, it never just stops here.

Ok, so who has the power to kick that person off of the website?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Oh Snapple! posted:

Like we can't stop someone from doing something we don't know and have no way of knowing they are doing.

Yeah, I dont mean to imply I'm holding CSPAM responsible for every rear end in a top hat. It's just when those type of discussions happen in CSPAM, it spawns assholes.

IMO, let morons be morons in other forums. It's like TVIV...if you hate it...stop watching?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ok, so who has the power to kick that person off of the website?

They are dealt with

edit: But then sometimes people bitch because "FUCKIN MOD JUST LET US POST poo poo, WHY PROBE MY FRIEND"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Like genuinely if someone is spamming out threatening or questionable PMs I would like them to not be here because that's going far beyond the basic venting I view copying posts to lol at as.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Jazerus posted:

oh yeah not gonna disagree that the top posters list probably doesn't have huge overlap. takes a lot of posts to be on the leaderboard in trump thread, who has time to do that and get on a leaderboard in another big thread?

but at the same time the leaderboard doesn't tell the story. if you looked at the top posters for all of the trump threads over the last 6 years they would be wildly different as people fade in and out of wanting to post in that thread a lot. it doesn't really mean much about the overall composition of the thread because a lot of people post in it, and anybody is welcome. it's really not as crazy as it looks

my point is, why should whatever buddykins and harton want to talk about today be universalized as 'the community room of c-spam' or whatever? the portion of c-spam that actively avoids the chat thread is just as (or, provocatively, slightly more???) valuable to the discourse here. it's the biggest thread but i really just don't think it is or should be the critical essence of cspam in the way you describe, and i was an nctv lurker back in the day

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Yeah, I dont mean to imply I'm holding CSPAM responsible for every rear end in a top hat. It's just when those type of discussions happen in CSPAM, it spawns assholes.

IMO, let morons be morons in other forums. It's like TVIV...if you hate it...stop watching?

They are dealt with

edit: But then sometimes people bitch because "FUCKIN MOD JUST LET US POST poo poo, WHY PROBE MY FRIEND"

I'd say if that response isn't appropriate, the hammer should also be dropped on that poster. Were I IK, and I'm definitely not volunteering, that'd probably be my response but I'm also a stone hearted ML. As is I'd probably expect that to be the norm since it's tolerated everywhere else on the forums, including QCS which is the most formally restrictive of them all, so barring some sort of broader shift in forums culture it's probably not a position I'd try to find myself enforcing.

My general belief is that people whose primary issue is that they can't look away aren't going to stop spamming the queue because of any changes made to CSPAM one way or the other

HookedOnChthonics posted:

jazerus, i understand why you might have this perception, but i want to challenge it--as an extremely unscientific measure i just copied the top posters lists from the top 6-7 threads in cspam rn into a notepad doc and started doing ctrl-f with big names from the trump thread leaderboard, and there's not a lot of overlap!

The top poster in the chat thread has authored 4% of the posts. The top poster in the biggest D&D thread I could find has authored 3% of the posts there. The leaderboard isn't terribly relevant for anything unless you're trying to find out who is an insomniac working nights or works from home with 7 hours of free time a day. CSPAM is really big, GBS and Games big, so probably only astral of Jeffrey could do real overlap modeling

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Oh Snapple! posted:

Like genuinely if someone is spamming out threatening or questionable PMs I would like them to not be here because that's going far beyond the basic venting I view copying posts to lol at as.

Yeah, I send those people packing without a second thought.

Again, I'm not saying CSPAM is some loving hive for it, or that every CSPAM poster is scum, it's just that type of discussion always seems to spawn that thing.

Edit: And it's not always some simple "This poster did it." There are lots of anon assholes using posts they find from discussions here to go after people.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

e: we posted at the same time Athanatos so let me pare down my post:

if it's a big legitimate problem either come down hard on poop-touching of any sort or just outright ban talking about other forums. I think the latter is over the top, especially if it's only coming from a particular thread. The Dems thread sticks to posting unsourced quotes and seems to be causing no issues outside of the people who hate-read it looking for their posts. We can't, however, have any idea about what is actually happening without mod staff letting us know.

I mean FYAD can run goonlulz threads without becoming loving weirdos about it so if it's predominantly coming from eg. the Climate Change thread that's probably representative of an issue with that specific thread, which ties back into the megathread culture talk. If it's coming from one thread that thread should probably be broken up or retooled because I don't think anyone wants that and it's probably a sign of a weird insular posting environment. If it's coming from a handful of users they should be punished for it, full stop, and I don't think that would be any different if it they were posting in any other subforum.

if it's a more global problem and we can't really handle it maybe it's time to make it a rule, but I'd like to know more about where it's coming from and if these posters catch and punishment for it

Pentecoastal Elites has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Jun 25, 2021

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I haven't dipped into the Covid thread in a while, but this is the kind of heavy handed moderation that I don't think will be terribly effective. It may temporarily cut down on a specific "unwanted" kind of posting, but will probably backfire into the thread turning on the mod team. Maybe a mod presence that instead tries to guide the discussion in a different direction through good posts might have a more positive and long lasting affect.

I'm going to agree with you, and say it's better for mods to be hand on in steering it towards positive subjects rather than heavy handed like I suggested. I havent peered in that thread since early in the pandemic because the anxiety just seeing that thread created in me was nigh on crippling. And considering I've seen people say it got even worse with doomerism has colored my perception of it.

Athanatos posted:

If this is about the succ zone/dems thread I think we should be clear: a large amount of people who post in that thread understand the rules and limits you guys want. No Sourcing quotes, no touching the poop, no running back and trying to get other people to join in on arguments etc. There have been people who still try but they get mocked and are not the majority, and if you want to clamp down on them hard without tearing down the thread itself - I don't think anyone will have a problem with it besides the people who get hit.

Hell, make Oh Snapple an IK of that thread - he's been pushing for people to stop bringing in dnd drama for years. I'd rather get mocked for needing a billion IKs then the thread discarded again because morons can't figure out that it's not funny when you jump out the safari vehicle.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Athanatos posted:

They are dealt with

I mean, I still don't really see the problem then. Keep kicking people out who can't follow basic decency, if their friends complain ignore them, and be consistent about it. A lot of the sites problems are from a lack of consistency in policies and forcing people to constantly guess as to what they can and can't do. IDK, I can't fully form the words right now but I disagree that there's much that needs to be changed with the culture when I think a much bigger problem is mods and admins carrying water for or being afraid of opposing problem posters. I'm sorry being a bar bouncer involves fighting people who suck and are really mean and angry and stupid but the role is pretty much a volunteer bar bouncer.

Especially when the website's reputation and long standing culture says that you can and should be antagonistic towards stupid people. You can't have that sort of website and also try to please everyone.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
yo i come to cspam for the doomthreads because i fukkin love doom. there's a ton of fun posters in the climate/econ/epstein threads but i don't think they deserve recognition because the idea of being a "recognized poster" is the thing i dislike most these past decades. the people who are most active and celebrated and take themselves and the forums v. seriously are over and over again the source/target of the most deranged drama.

the thing that is most annoying is inter-forum drama that gets imported back here, which a select group of shitheads (and people they've permanently damaged in other forums) seemingly instigate the majority of. if i had admin buttons anyone who posts in both the d&d and cspam climate thread within the same 30 days would get a 30 day probe to consider getting a life.

which, broadly speaking, would benefit everybody to extend to all moderation. people getting furious about sixers? they get 30 days too. the forums are funniest when they're populated by i.e. cumshitters who's post here you can contrast against people who are very invested in Correct Moderation.

i realize this is something the admin and mod staff, by virtue of being people who take a internet comedy forum way too seriously are incapable of understanding but you asked so please enjoy.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I think part of the problem is figuring out what IS too far. You say just ignore the angry mean people who bitch when their friends get hit...but what if those people have a point? It's trying to find the balance between a forum and moderation of it. That's not easy, and just Making a Rule, and following it to the grave is a REAL poo poo way to run a forum.

Context Matters.

That's why this thread is here, so I can figure out if the bitching is actually something that needs a change, or just something that happens.

People are always going to have a different view of what "too far" is.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

e: we posted at the same time Athanatos so let me pare down my post:

if it's a big legitimate problem either come down hard on poop-touching of any sort or just outright ban talking about other forums. I think the latter is over the top, especially if it's only coming from a particular thread. The Dems thread sticks to posting unsourced quotes and seems to be causing no issues outside of the people who hate-read it looking for their posts. We can't, however, have any idea about what is actually happening without mod staff letting us know.

I mean FYAD can run goonlulz threads without becoming loving weirdos about it so if it's predominantly coming from eg. the Climate Change thread that's probably representative of an issue with that specific thread, which ties back into the megathread culture talk. If it's coming from one thread that thread should probably be broken up or retooled because I don't think anyone wants that and it's probably a sign of a weird insular posting environment. If it's coming from a handful of users they should be punished for it, full stop, and I don't think that would be any different if it they were posting in any other subforum.

if it's a more global problem and we can't really handle it maybe it's time to make it a rule, but I'd like to know more about where it's coming from and if these posters catch and punishment for it
As someone who has advocated for less moderation, this is a case where there is a need for strong moderation.

I've been on SA a long time, and one of the cardinal rules of mocking forum-wide is to not touch the poop. This applies literally everywhere on the forums and it certainly should apply here.

If someone is PMing someone at random about a post they made in a thread they weren't participating in solely to call them an idiot, that's something that should be dealt with harshly.

It should also be something that the mod doing the punishment should drop into the thread when it happens, call out the person who did it, and then tell everyone not to do it. Make it an official forum rule if that helps, though I think "no harassing people over PMs" is kind of a no-brainer.

The specific point though is to name and shame.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Athanatos posted:

I think part of the problem is figuring out what IS too far. You say just ignore the angry mean people who bitch when their friends get hit...but what if those people have a point? It's trying to find the balance between a forum and moderation of it. That's not easy, and just Making a Rule, and following it to the grave is a REAL poo poo way to run a forum.

Context Matters.

That's why this thread is here, so I can figure out if the bitching is actually something that needs a change, or just something that happens.

People are always going to have a different view of what "too far" is.

How often is the friends bitching coming from people who want to protect someone who sent out 30 harassing PMS to one person?
How often is it from people mad that the mods and admins made an arbitrary decision based on "gently caress this guy" and then tried to pretend it was backed up on more than just a personal dislike?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
re: "doomposting" can we just acknowledge to the best of our knowledge literally nobody on this forum has offed themselves or anyone else as a result of being tuned in to current events, the news, and the pending cascade of collapses circling our society, like the economy, climate, etc.?

i don't understand why it's anyone else's business what tone people take regarding an issue, especially contained within its own thread about the subject. if you want to argue that in some form or another "doomposting" (which isn't even decently defined whatsoever to anything approaching objectivity) is affecting other people's posting experiences elsewhere on the forums, then i'd say prove it, otherwise either start the thread you want to post in about a subject or go somewhere else, i really don't know why this is such a highly discussed aspect of CSPAM considering the aforementioned nebulousness, containment, and freedom to do/post whatever the hell you want anywhere else

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Athanatos posted:

There are a couple of problems that I see here, and they're all problems of perception, which are the hardest to deal with because it doesn't actually matter what the facts are if most people believe they're something else.

1) Does "most of the problem posters I deal with are people who've been posting in CSPAM making fun of other posters" necessarily equate to "most people who make fun of other posters are a problem"? Or is it the problem of the doctor who forgets that there are healthy people in the world because they only ever see sick people?

2) Is this standard being applied to every forum equally? (The answer here is "obviously no" if you include FYAD, but we can exclude them as an outlier because they operate under different rules...er, for some reason, but I think it's still no).

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Gumball Gumption posted:

How often is the friends bitching coming from people who want to protect someone who sent out 30 harassing PMS to one person?
How often is it from people mad that the mods and admins made an arbitrary decision based on "gently caress this guy" and then tried to pretend it was backed up on more than just a personal dislike?

There are some "They were joking" when things like that come up most times. Or "You are just reading it wrong." Without giving specific instances, it does happen. But that is 0% limited to CSPAM, that's a forum-wide thing and not something I fault CSPAM for.

Being privy to mod discussions on people, I can say I've not see a "gently caress this poster, lets get them" type discussion. Not that it doesn't happen in spaces I cant read, I cant say. Everyone is human and has biases. Being biased happens and hopefully that's why all forums have a team of moderators for multiple views. There have been a few times in the past in forums where a mod goes "Me and this person have history, is XXX a fair punishment" and asks so they try NOT to be an asshat about things. Again, not specific to CSPAM, just things I've seen while I've been here.

docbeard posted:

There are a couple of problems that I see here, and they're all problems of perception, which are the hardest to deal with because it doesn't actually matter what the facts are if most people believe they're something else.

1) Does "most of the problem posters I deal with are people who've been posting in CSPAM making fun of other posters" necessarily equate to "most people who make fun of other posters are a problem"? Or is it the problem of the doctor who forgets that there are healthy people in the world because they only ever see sick people?

No, and like I said, it's not all of CSPAM, it's a label problem mostly. But the things I've dealt with or talked to, the shitbags spawn from the threads where "Look at this moron" is happening.

Edit: And really, I'm not a CSPAM admin. I don't really deal with a lot of things on my own, so I'm super super in my depth here. That's not me.

docbeard posted:

2) Is this standard being applied to every forum equally? (The answer here is "obviously no" if you include FYAD, but we can exclude them as an outlier because they operate under different rules...er, for some reason, but I think it's still no).

Excluding FYAD, CSPAM seems to get the most leeway on this. Mods in other forums have less patience for threads that turn into "Look at this morons over THERE." It's why it tends to blow up more in here, because when there is leeway, some people always try and push that to find the boundaries.

It's interesting that CSPAM sees themselves as CSPAM, and the rest of the forums are just kinda "Something Awful"

smarxist posted:

i don't understand why it's anyone else's business what tone people take regarding an issue, especially contained within its own thread about the subject. if you want to argue that in some form or another "doomposting" (which isn't even decently defined whatsoever to anything approaching objectivity) is affecting other people's posting experiences elsewhere on the forums, then i'd say prove it, otherwise either start the thread you want to post in about a subject or go somewhere else, i really don't know why this is such a highly discussed aspect of CSPAM considering the aforementioned nebulousness, containment, and freedom to do/post whatever the hell you want anywhere else

This is one of those "If you don't like it...why are you obsessed with reading/watching it" things. I have no idea why TVIV will tune in every week and hate themselves for watching something, or why people read D&D and just hate everything they see. But, that's just who I am personally. That's not an admin thing...just an Athanatos thing. If something sucks or is unfun, I don't have anything to do with it. gently caress it, I'll go fishing instead. I'll play Dyson Sphere Program instead of punching myself in the face trying to suffer through "THE WORST EPISODE EVER" of The Walking Dead. People like that stuff. More power to them. I don't understand it, but I accept it.

It's really about what people want to get out of a place. This is a large loving forum. Having threads try to match exactly what everyone wants is not going to work. I 100% agree with you about starting the thread you want to post in. BUT, that also goes back to my question earlier in this thread, why people don't make threads for things. They each had answers that fit. Sometimes it's just easier to try and make an established thread be more what you want, and put up with things, then it is to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
And again, I'm not here to make some SWEEPING crazy changes or flip CSPAM. So don't take my posts in here as declarations of anything.

I'm just here answering whatever ya'll want answered honestly, and trying to get a feel where the forum is. I'd like to have good answers for people when they ask "What is CSPAM" or have an argument for idiots who walk into QCS with "CLOSE CSPAM IT'S ALL HORRIBLE." I want to make sure ya'll continue to enjoy the place you like and make sure I know the steps I need to take to keep it that way.

We'll all float on.