Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keyser_Soze posted:

Did everyone give up using screen protectors on the 12's?

I threw a glass one on my 12 mini after 2 years of none on my XS. I honestly don’t even notice it since the bump from the leather case is still more than it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wish I did. i have a decent scratch on my 12 and it only ever goes in its own pocket or on my dash/desk mount.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I don't have a protector on my 12 Pro Max, but I did get a BBY employee trying to get me to buy one AND let him put it on for $8. The other guy that helped me the same day was all "Uh no...you don't really need it unless you plan on dropping your phone or something. A case? Yes." He seemed very done with his job that day.

Meanwhile, Caudabe is aggressively e-mailing me to buy the two cases from them. Like e-mailing on the hour every hour and giving me a 10% off coupon...I found a much better coupon but I've been too busy to do anything because finals right now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I posted a 20% off code in this very thread a few months back for caudabe. i dont think anyone grabbed it but im in australia so shipping was too much for the second purchase just to use a coupon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Laserface posted:

I posted a 20% off code in this very thread a few months back for caudabe. i dont think anyone grabbed it but im in australia so shipping was too much for the second purchase just to use a coupon.

Holy poo poo I found it.

Thanks! :) I only found 15% but that made it even more nice.

I'll try out the Synthesis and the Sheath and report back.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you have AppleCare+ and use a decent case with some fall protection (doesn't have to be Otterbox, even Spigen or a case from Five Below is fine), a lip on the case that extends beyond the screen, and as long as you're reasonably careful with it and don't keep it in the same pocket as your keys, you don't need a screen protector. If you still scratch or break your screen through all of that, it's only $29 to repair. I'd rather do that than deal with having one on.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Holy poo poo I found it.

Thanks! :) I only found 15% but that made it even more nice.

I'll try out the Synthesis and the Sheath and report back.

glad it was a goon and not a filthy no-reg lurker that got it :)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Laserface posted:

glad it was a goon and not a filthy no-reg lurker that got it :)

Me too! They shipped VERY fast too… wow.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Does anyone else ever have an issue where you're listening to something on your iPhone with your headphones with the screen locked, then you press the volume up button and it raises the volume to the max level? It's super jarring when it happens, which is at least once a week. I tried searching for solutions but I couldn't find any other posts noting the problem.

I think it has something to do with the phone not processing the "terminate volume up" command immediately since the phone is locked, basically registering a single click of the volume button as holding it down.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Euphoriaphone posted:

Does anyone else ever have an issue where you're listening to something on your iPhone with your headphones with the screen locked, then you press the volume up button and it raises the volume to the max level? It's super jarring when it happens, which is at least once a week. I tried searching for solutions but I couldn't find any other posts noting the problem.

I think it has something to do with the phone not processing the "terminate volume up" command immediately since the phone is locked, basically registering a single click of the volume button as holding it down.

I feel bad not providing a solution here, but yes. It’s very irritating, but at least it’s more like once a month for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Swiftkey on android let’s you select special characters if you hold down a letter. Like holding j gives you a bracket. I know ipads have that with a swipe down, but swiftkey on iPhone doesn’t have that feature and I don’t think you can make the default keyboard work that way.

Has anyone used any other keyboards that work like android swiftkey?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The default keyboard lets you do that

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can only get variations of that character to show up when I long-press each key, not any way to get punctuation or brackets or anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I can only get variations of that character to show up when I long-press each key, not any way to get punctuation or brackets or anything.

Yeah this is my experience as well.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve been reporting stuff on the new Apple Maps (cops, accidents, etc), but realized never actually seen anything displayed to me on the map. Is that just not there yet, or does it work different than Waze (which is what I was expecting it to work like).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Yeah the iPhone keyboard only has punctuation shortcuts on a few keys, the rest is for accent marks or similarly styled characters.

Tried the Google keyboard? If that doesn't have it I'm not sure, might need to just go through the top ones and sort through them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

I’ve been reporting stuff on the new Apple Maps (cops, accidents, etc), but realized never actually seen anything displayed to me on the map. Is that just not there yet, or does it work different than Waze (which is what I was expecting it to work like).

I think I read that stuff takes a couple reports so people aren’t reporting poo poo that really isn’t there. Which is terrible for a few reasons, one of which is a big ol gently caress you to rural people.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

I've seen several on my commute this week. This is a very heavily trafficed corridor so maybe just not enough reports in your area.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is Applecare+ more on the pro/max phones than the regular 12s? A bit surprised to see my 12 pro max price for it ($249CAD).

Also can you transfer it to a new device or request a pro rated refund if you get one before the coverage period is up?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You can’t get a refund or transfer it to a new device (maybe in special circumstances?) but if you pay in full it does stay with the phone even if you sell it, which adds resale value. I would only pay in full if you’re sure you will not upgrade for two years.

If you pay monthly, it ends whenever you stop renewing it but costs more in the long run.

The more expensive the phone, the higher the AppleCare+ fee, but not by that much.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You can’t get a refund or transfer it to a new device (maybe in special circumstances?) but if you pay in full it does stay with the phone even if you sell it, which adds resale value. I would only pay in full if you’re sure you will not upgrade for two years.

If you pay monthly, it ends whenever you stop renewing it but costs more in the long run.

The more expensive the phone, the higher the AppleCare+ fee, but not by that much.

Ok! I hadn’t been expecting to upgrade this time (was still happy with the XS Max) but ended up getting a 12 max pro as an amazing gift. I would like applecare but also may upgrade if the next one has some neat new features. I usually do the apple trade in rather than sell privately sounds like monthly applecare may be the better option..

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

priznat posted:

Is Applecare+ more on the pro/max phones than the regular 12s? A bit surprised to see my 12 pro max price for it ($249CAD).

Also can you transfer it to a new device or request a pro rated refund if you get one before the coverage period is up?

Yeah you can call in and request a refund for an AppleCare plan paid in full. I think there is a fee but they will let you know

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a way to have a daily reminder that's sent at 10a ET no matter what time zone i'm in? i think i could set the time zone in settings to not adjust automatically to my location so that the phone's clock is in ET no matter what time zone i'm in, and then set the the reminder for 10a. but like, i want my phone's clock to adjust to whichever time zone i'm in. i just want the reminder sent at 10a ET no matter where i'm at without having to adjust the entire phone's clock if possible.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

abelwingnut posted:

is there a way to have a daily reminder that's sent at 10a ET no matter what time zone i'm in? i think i could set the time zone in settings to not adjust automatically to my location so that the phone's clock is in ET no matter what time zone i'm in, and then set the the reminder for 10a. but like, i want my phone's clock to adjust to whichever time zone i'm in. i just want the reminder sent at 10a ET no matter where i'm at without having to adjust the entire phone's clock if possible.
Laffo yeah, I tried really hard to do this a while back and never figured it out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe something that sends you an email at a specified time? That could be separated from your current location.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

fourwood posted:

Laffo yeah, I tried really hard to do this a while back and never figured it out.

Repeating calendar event would work.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

withak posted:

Maybe something that sends you an email at a specified time? That could be separated from your current location.

yea, i don't get push notifications from email just because i get too many. the reminder would likely be lost most days.

Kalman posted:

Repeating calendar event would work.

ooh, that's smart. i just need to set the location of the meeting to dc or nyc or wherever and it should work. thanks for the idea.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

withak posted:

Or a scheduled SMS from a contact who can get through DND and then set that contact's ringtone to something boo-boo-bonkers?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My mother picked me up the ProjectRED silicone case for my 12 Pro Max because she liked the color. I actually really like it but the camera cutout is barely there and I could see it being VERY easy to break the cameras if you drop it..

Still got the Caudabe cases coming so will compare them to it.

Sorry to continue case chat. :(

abelwingnut posted:

yea, i don't get push notifications from email just because i get too many. the reminder would likely be lost most days.

This reminds me, Gmail never sends me push notifications. I'm not sure if I changed any settings from when I set it up initially.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

I've seen several on my commute this week. This is a very heavily trafficed corridor so maybe just not enough reports in your area.

Dang this is interstates/major highways in the Seattle area, guess I’ll just stick with Waze (which does have a heavy presence here).

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

my iphone-8 won't turn on. It just has a black screen.

any help? seems to be battery issues.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PawParole posted:

Did you plug into in a charger? A computer? If you plug it into a computer does iTunes or Finder (MacOS) see it?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

PawParole posted:

Is it blank like it’s clearly on with no image or blank as in it just stays off? You could try putting it in DRM mode and plugging it into a computer, but if it’s on with no image, your LCD may be damaged.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Could also try a reset with volume down + power button for 10 seconds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had something similar happen to a 6s, was on the highway listening to music and it completely cut out. No sound, no screen, no button holding did anything and my laptop couldn't see it either. Eventually got it to an Apple store and the only way they could get a sign of life out of it was with their little diagnostic dongle and they replaced the phone for me on the spot.

It's super unlikely you have the exact same issue, but I'd guess the remedy will be the same.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cage-free egghead posted:

Could also try a reset with volume down + power button for 10 seconds.

Don't do that, that may dial 911.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412
iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If you still scratch or break your screen through all of that, it's only $29 to repair. I'd rather do that than deal with having one on.

I tried getting my scratched up screen repaired at the Apple store when my Applecare+ was running out but they wouldn’t do anything unless it was cracked.

Next iPhone gets a screen protector for sure

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol come back in five minutes with a cracked screen

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Snowy posted:

I tried getting my scratched up screen repaired at the Apple store when my Applecare+ was running out but they wouldn’t do anything unless it was cracked.

Next iPhone gets a screen protector for sure

Oh I didn’t know this. poo poo. I thought it was if you wanted a new one for any damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh I didn’t know this. poo poo. I thought it was if you wanted a new one for any damage.

I thought so too and was bummed out about that. Could be I had someone who couldn’t be bothered that day, idk but it didn’t work for me.