Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

lol okay I'll just take my stupid seppo rear end down to the store and buy a dirty thirty of PBR for $19.

The conversation is about beer, not whatever the gently caress blue ribbon is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

duck monster posted:

The conversation is about beer, not whatever the gently caress blue ribbon is supposed to be.

I think its actually made from racoon urine.
Or possibly ferret piss.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Ohhh, it's Fosters.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lol okay I'll just take my stupid seppo rear end down to the store and buy a dirty thirty of PBR for $19.

No wuckers mate, try not to get shot on the way

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there's water in puddles and that's free, probably a better deal

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

duck monster posted:

I still remember bitching to my friends when VB cartons first broke the $20 mark. At the time a "middie" (about half a pint, common in WA until about 15 years ago when preferences starting switching to pints) of beer was $2 and a jug $6

When did beer start getting expensive? I remember when I was 18 or 19 you could buy a six pack of Coopers for $15 and that was only a bit over a decade ago. I don't know when's the last time I saw a six pack for less than $20 unless it was on special or paid much less than $10 for a schooner.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is why the real drunks go for wine, it's cheaper, tastier, and faster to get clobbered on, probly

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

the first political party to build a nationally owned brewery designed to pump out 5 dollar schooners and 40 dollar cartons will remain in power until the end of days

gently caress that, elect me and I'll do schooeys for $4 and slabs for $30

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

gently caress that, elect me and I'll do schooeys for $4 and slabs for $30

Don't listen to this madman. They want to standardise beer sizing names to the ones from your rival state and force everyone to call sausage in bread "bogan hotdogs"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is why the real drunks go for wine, it's cheaper, tastier, and faster to get clobbered on, probly

Legit talk, I was a hardcore alcoholic earlier in my life, not too long ago. I would go through a couple hundred bucks a weekend at times, plus whatever I went through during the week. It was not nice.

Wine is definitely cost efficient in terms of ABV/$ but you end up going so low in quality to maintain it that even as an alco I went back to cartons of whatever was on special. Yeah, you can get 5x$4 clearskins from Dano's but there's a good chance at least one is sulphur hosed or something, and being an alcoholic you better believe you'll choke that poo poo down anyway.

At the end there was a local pub drive-through that did $40 (maybe?) cartons of Pointers, so we'd get a few every weekend and a few through the week.

poo poo was expensive. And also not fun at all. I really hope no one here has to deal with that poo poo.

I'm only just relearning, cautiously, to enjoy alcohol at all in small amounts.

Alcohol is good and tasty and fun. Right til it isn't.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Inceltown posted:

Don't listen to this madman. They want to standardise beer sizing names to the ones from your rival state and force everyone to call sausage in bread "bogan hotdogs"

Only a problem if that state is South Australia. They can't even get pints right.

Anything smaller than a schooner (425 ml. gently caress you SA) should be abolished anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I mean, the last snake I saw was in 2019 5km from the Sydney CBD in my back courtyard but it was only a Red-Bellied Black and buggered off on me as soon as I got near it (I thought it was a hose so I didn't notice it until it moved)

I live within spitting distance of the Melbourne CBD and although we never get snakes in our backyards there's a popular walking/cycling track along a creek that runs right through the suburb which frequently has snake sightings all the way through the warmer months. If there's a permanent source of water and a bit of scrub there's guaranteed to be snakes as well.

duck monster posted:

Not relevant to anything, but I had a dream a couple of nights ago about a movie called "Honey, I glassed the kids" staring Paul Hogan.

That sounds pretty lovely and dumb ........ so it would have been a marked improvement on the films he actually did make recently which were extremely lovely and dumb. :v:

Also it should come as no surprise to anyone but he's been a massive rear end in a top hat during the pandemic: https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...76fe10889117b07

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

syntaxfunction posted:

We have a job and we get it done, drat the expense. We're a nation of go getters, as long the the getting is loving hammered.

Same deal for punching darts, paying $90 a pack or whatever the gently caress they cost these days

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I live within spitting distance of the Melbourne CBD and although we never get snakes in our backyards there's a popular walking/cycling track along a creek that runs right through the suburb which frequently has snake sightings all the way through the warmer months. If there's a permanent source of water and a bit of scrub there's guaranteed to be snakes as well.

I used to see the odd tiger snake on the Merri creek trail

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: expensive beer.

I am old enough to remember being outraged, outraged I tell you, when the pub next to Uni raised the prices so a pot of beer was more than $2.

What? You expect me to pay more than one coin for the glass of beer I am drinking instead of going to my afternoon lecture? The scoundrels!

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

syntaxfunction posted:

Legit talk, I was a hardcore alcoholic earlier in my life, not too long ago. I would go through a couple hundred bucks a weekend at times, plus whatever I went through during the week. It was not nice.

Wine is definitely cost efficient in terms of ABV/$ but you end up going so low in quality to maintain it that even as an alco I went back to cartons of whatever was on special. Yeah, you can get 5x$4 clearskins from Dano's but there's a good chance at least one is sulphur hosed or something, and being an alcoholic you better believe you'll choke that poo poo down anyway.

At the end there was a local pub drive-through that did $40 (maybe?) cartons of Pointers, so we'd get a few every weekend and a few through the week.

poo poo was expensive. And also not fun at all. I really hope no one here has to deal with that poo poo.

I'm only just relearning, cautiously, to enjoy alcohol at all in small amounts.

Alcohol is good and tasty and fun. Right til it isn't.
Seems to be quite the fashionable thing this year, especially amongst those of us who have overdone it for the past year.
What shits me the most about my newfound and happy sobriety is the 0% 'liquors' that charge like they have an alcohol tax attached to them.

Heaps Normal is a pretty amazing 0% beer, but after 2, it's like "What's the point?", beer isn't popular because it tastes nice.
As my uncle, a career boozer who I've never seen actually acting drunk once confessed "I don't drink beer for the taste, it's the effect."

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

gently caress it.

My next big vacation is going to be Australia.

I want to drink with shirtless bogans and mistake snakes for hoses.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I've not had a drink since October, I've been using a Sodastream with fruity cold teas

It's a real nice soft drink that isn't too sweet but hits that spot for me

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Megabound posted:

The best brewery in Brissie at the moment is Sea Legs imo. They are always on point.

I paid a visit to Nomad Brewing Co on Sydney's northern beaches last time I was there, they had a good selection of their own brews including one made with water taken from Freshwater Beach.

I promptly bought a handful of cans to bring back with me to America, handed them off to mates and told them I'd swam in the beer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Aussie kid flies across the country to visit her parents who she hasn't seen for 1.5 years due to the covid border lockdowns
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdy2LtBw/

Gets you right in the feels :glomp:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Aerith Gainthborough posted:

gently caress it.

My next big vacation is going to be Australia.

I want to drink with shirtless bogans and mistake snakes for hoses.

See you in 2028 when we finally let you plague-ridden hordes back into our oasis of good health
gently caress you Sydney you’re the shittest city go away with your spicy cough

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

See you in 2028 when we finally let you plague-ridden hordes back into our oasis of good health
gently caress you Sydney you’re the shittest city go away with your spicy cough

2028 im sleeping on your couch.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: expensive beer.

I am old enough to remember being outraged, outraged I tell you, when the pub next to Uni raised the prices so a pot of beer was more than $2.

What? You expect me to pay more than one coin for the glass of beer I am drinking instead of going to my afternoon lecture? The scoundrels!

When I was at Sydney uni back in 2010, you could get a schooner at the union bar for something like $3.50. Of course, I was a poor unemployed student so it didn't really help me that much.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Aussie kid flies across the country to visit her parents who she hasn't seen for 1.5 years due to the covid border lockdowns
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdy2LtBw/

Gets you right in the feels :glomp:

I'm glad it didn't go longer, it was their moment and that little bit already made me cry

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

the first political party to build a nationally owned brewery designed to pump out 5 dollar schooners and 40 dollar cartons will remain in power until the end of days

dan andrews sells chop chop out the back of his office in noble park

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

syntaxfunction posted:

It just shows how dedicated Aussies are to getting shitfaced. Americans have dirt cheap alcohol and still complain about prices, cause they're prissy little bitches.

We have a job and we get it done, drat the expense. We're a nation of go getters, as long the the getting is loving hammered.

I went to college with a guy from Oz, (I'm in Canada) and I sent this to him in a text message.
His reply was: "Haha oh yea, that's us. Shitfaced is good". He also mentioned something about you (the poster of the above) being a oval office. But I think that means "good guy" or something like that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

A pack of "farts" here in middle America runs about 5 to 10 us dollars.

It's insane but probably for the best. Pure poison.

If we had a proper national healthcare system this would make more sense. I do wonder what my city does with the tax

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I'm imagining it like 2001 a space odyssey or arrival

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Wendigee posted:

If we had a proper national healthcare system this would make more sense. I do wonder what my city does with the tax

I read some official word that it is inconclusive, and absolutely depends on the metric used as to whether an aging population costs the state more or less than a smoking one

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Navigating the lockdown laws is fun, good thing the only part that changes over the next fortnight is whether or not I go to pubs.

It's not like the first lockdown where were rocked up to the Townie bottlo and got them to fill up squealers and growlers (and a dozen fresh homebrew bottles) with whatever we wanted from the taps.
Since we knew the bartender well we paid maybe $28 for about 8 litres of Grifter and Young Henry's brews.

We finished them that night and went back the next day, they had a better pricing system by then. (Better for them)

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Jestery posted:

I'm imagining it like 2001 a space odyssey or arrival

Time to listen to Red Sails in the Sunset again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Navigating the lockdown laws is fun, good thing the only part that changes over the next fortnight is whether or not I go to pubs.

Oh you think this is only going to last a fortnight? The heal;th minister said the aim was to get cases back to zero, they ain't going from 29/30 cases a day to zero in just 14 days.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh you think this is only going to last a fortnight? The heal;th minister said the aim was to get cases back to zero, they ain't going from 29/30 cases a day to zero in just 14 days.

This is a six-weeker. Minimum. If we're very lucky and things go absolutely perfectly. (Which they won't, because NSW Health and the Premier are both loving idiots).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is a six-weeker. Minimum. If we're very lucky and things go absolutely perfectly. (Which they won't, because NSW Health and the Premier are both loving idiots).

I'm hanging out for your inevitable Melbourne-style anti-vaxx protests, the Sydney cops probably won't know what to do with them so it should be a hoot. :v:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

No, I don't.

Mind you don't be shocked at the LNP easing restrictions far too early, either.

It's anyone's game right now.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apparently, we have passed the number Melbourne had all up for their last lockdown and ours is still rising, today's reports are not at all confidence building.

This was inevitable and just a matter of time, Covid is not a Melbourne exclusive.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I'm hanging out for your inevitable Melbourne-style anti-vaxx protests, the Sydney cops probably won't know what to do with them so it should be a hoot. :v:

They’ll create a mass casualty event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

It's going to be fun when the school holidays end. Everyone hated online learning during the first lockdown.