Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Jazerus posted:

i don't understand why on earth you want a quarantine zone for unserious posts in a fundamentally absurd subforum.

there’s nothing absurd about C-SPAM, unless that’s what the chat thread white noise posters conceive of as their bit they’re doing. posting insular catch phrases and inside jokes to outsiders doesn’t come across as absurd, it’s just obnoxious

the content here is more rooted in reality than anywhere else on the internet that is decorum obsessed and happiness enforced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Skipping all the posts to say cspam is a fun place to chat with my buds about number

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

ram dass in hell posted:

less beefs more beefers

:hmmyes:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It was mentioned earlier that C-SPAM isn't a single community, but an aggregate of several, and I decided to actually do some stats on it. I took the non-sticky threads on the first page with more than a hundred posts, and looked at how large a percentage of posts the top 30 posters of that were responsible for, and how much overlap they had with the top 30 posters of other threads:

As can be seen, the top 30 posters generally represent a significant chunk of total posts (weighted average 41%), so I think it's fair to say that they actually define the tone of a thread. Even in the threads with low percentages, every third post is by a top 30 poster, and then it goes all the way to only every tenth posts being from a non-top 30 poster.

If we accept that the top 30 are pretty representative of the tone of any given thread, then we can see which threads are fringe within C-SPAM and which are more universally C-SPAM. At one end, you have Copecasts and Poop Culture, at the other, auspol and CSPAM CHAT. Of course, a thread can be fringe for reasons both of posting culture, and topic. auspol is obviously a case of being a regional topic, not particularly interesting to non-Australians, but the same explanation doesn't hold for the chat thread. It's pretty obvious that that thread has a culture divorced from the general C-SPAM culture, which can be fine, but is certainly a reason to skip it when searching for new mods.

The obvious threads to look for new mods in, if you want ones that have a broader understanding of C-SPAM "culture", would be the ones where there's more overlap - a sign on noninsularity and broader appeal. They're less likely to get a blinkered view of the forum, less likely to develop tribalistic tendencies in regards to other threads and the posters in them, which should overall make them better mods - and certainly more accepted by the community. Given that trust is like the #1 thing that needs to be built up, broad appeal seems important.

Agreed. Posters too immersed in a singular chat culture seem incapable of switching into a different "voice" appropriate to the thread they're posting in. That's why people get annoyed at "chat thread posters", and why (as mentioned earlier) they're really easy to sniff out when they attempt to defend their "posting pals" in QCS. They're also a big part of why "C-SPAM" got such a bad rep in QCS, because they're nearly the only ones that read as 100% C-SPAM, since most other C-SPAM posters can post normally and not register as a C-SPAM posters.

Am I ranked in the top 30?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It was mentioned earlier that C-SPAM isn't a single community, but an aggregate of several, and I decided to actually do some stats on it. I took the non-sticky threads on the first page with more than a hundred posts, and looked at how large a percentage of posts the top 30 posters of that were responsible for, and how much overlap they had with the top 30 posters of other threads:

As can be seen, the top 30 posters generally represent a significant chunk of total posts (weighted average 41%), so I think it's fair to say that they actually define the tone of a thread. Even in the threads with low percentages, every third post is by a top 30 poster, and then it goes all the way to only every tenth posts being from a non-top 30 poster.

If we accept that the top 30 are pretty representative of the tone of any given thread, then we can see which threads are fringe within C-SPAM and which are more universally C-SPAM. At one end, you have Copecasts and Poop Culture, at the other, auspol and CSPAM CHAT. Of course, a thread can be fringe for reasons both of posting culture, and topic. auspol is obviously a case of being a regional topic, not particularly interesting to non-Australians, but the same explanation doesn't hold for the chat thread. It's pretty obvious that that thread has a culture divorced from the general C-SPAM culture, which can be fine, but is certainly a reason to skip it when searching for new mods.

The obvious threads to look for new mods in, if you want ones that have a broader understanding of C-SPAM "culture", would be the ones where there's more overlap - a sign on noninsularity and broader appeal. They're less likely to get a blinkered view of the forum, less likely to develop tribalistic tendencies in regards to other threads and the posters in them, which should overall make them better mods - and certainly more accepted by the community. Given that trust is like the #1 thing that needs to be built up, broad appeal seems important.

Agreed. Posters too immersed in a singular chat culture seem incapable of switching into a different "voice" appropriate to the thread they're posting in. That's why people get annoyed at "chat thread posters", and why (as mentioned earlier) they're really easy to sniff out when they attempt to defend their "posting pals" in QCS. They're also a big part of why "C-SPAM" got such a bad rep in QCS, because they're nearly the only ones that read as 100% C-SPAM, since most other C-SPAM posters can post normally and not register as a C-SPAM posters.

good post.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

there's a tiny and thankfully rarely seen type of poster in this forum that's basically a stereotype of people on Twitter and frankly they need to go away lol. i remember someone telling me I was racist for pushing back on latinx, which, lol.

was it you that got probed for saying hispanics are white or was that someone else lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the fortune cspam top 30 index

Number Up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i read cspam for reasons other than gimmick posters. i don't think they represent a shared cspam culture. going No True Cspammer on someone just cuz a dude likes his spreadsheet bullshit (a very marxist thing) is a kind of thing i think is pretty tiresome, especially when its a thread for nerdy sincere feedback.
Thank you. Can't believe you get attacked in C-SPAM for posting statistics, when Marx was huge number nerd too.

Jazerus posted:

i'm questioning the underlying idea that most people think it sucks. i don't think that's, uh, true. personally i have no gimmick and just tend to follow the tone of any individual thread, but i respect people who are consistent even if i don't always think it's funny. i think it's not good for the subforum for people to label other posters based on their "home thread" or for them to want a homogeneous thread culture in any given thread. it's bad, op, it's the sort of thing we made cspam to avoid. i'm sorry if this comes off as hyperbole.
I don't think the point is to make every thread homogeneous, people should just be aware that different threads skew differently, depending on posters and topic. Like, say the D&D Rape Culture thread evacuated entirely to C-SPAM because the D&D mods made it impossible to discuss anything. It might be a good idea to let posting-refugees, dealing with serious and personal topics, not have to deal with full-force "I'm so above it all LMAO"-style posting within that thread. That's not to say that anyone should be able to enforce 100% tedious D&D-style threads, but a truly diverse C-SPAM should be able to house both serious and personal threads as well as irreverent ones, and all the threads you can imagine in-between. Especially when we're living in a posting reality where D&D is mod-enforced liberal on topics that intersect with US politics. If D&D was not ideologically locked, more serious threads would probably flow back there.

Having a variety of thread cultures, the mods of course also need to be able to navigate different posting sub-cultures. A serious D&D-style mod could easily ruin the irreverent threads, and an irreverent mod could end up doing the same kind of damage to a more serious thread that an ideological attack by a liberal D&D mod would. Both might be very well served by having thread IK's though, to take care of issue before the mods gets involved. Because yeah, mod involvement would ideally be kept at a minimum, since they can easily add fuel to a dying fire.

gay_crimes posted:

there’s nothing absurd about C-SPAM, unless that’s what the chat thread white noise posters conceive of as their bit they’re doing. posting insular catch phrases and inside jokes to outsiders doesn’t come across as absurd, it’s just obnoxious

the content here is more rooted in reality than anywhere else on the internet that is decorum obsessed and happiness enforced
Yeah, it's kind strange. It's like you're trying to intellectualize white noise posting, by pretending it's absurdist collaborative art or something. Which fine, whatever floats your boat, but you should have thick enough skin to deal with people telling you your posting sucks rear end as has already been said.

net work error posted:

Am I ranked in the top 30?
In four whole threads.

gradenko_2000 is the most top 30 poster though, featuring in the top 30 of a whole 11 thread on the first page.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

the fortune cspam top 30 index

Number Up

Invest in posting futures

Covid thread is going through a dip right now, but if you buy into it you should see some good returns after Delta tears through the US

Succzone is due for a correction, should crash before the midterms

Climate change thread is blue chip, rated AAA+++

Doomsday Economics? Wait for more bitcoin blood

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Athanatos posted:

People in this thread have said maybe mods should step in and say something when a person becomes too annoying in a thread and it's just enough already, so things are never just that simple.

Now, probing for racism is that simple, just click the little "Queue Ban" button.

I think that bad posters/people don't like will always exist especially when goons are involved. With bad posters you can tell them to gently caress off or just ignore them.

I think i'm in the minority that think threadbans are pretty lame. There are certain gimmick posters who's gimmick gets tiring but I just ignore those people.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
free C-SPAM political prisoners. free rguy, free matey, unban lastgirl

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

cumshitter posted:

im now a glenn greenwald guy but for harton and this is acutally way easier since harton has no strong opinions

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In four whole threads.

Hell yeah nice. Thanks

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CSPAM is good because it combines politics, culture, science, economy, etc with a healthy dose of comedy and a complete lack of the teamsports mentality thats plaguing every other social media platform.

Some of the people neck deep into that teamsports mentality might see the type of posting that goes in here as "Doomerism" and thats because we dont subscribe to the idea that things meaningfully change when the team in charge switches. Unless of course one of the teams is headed by the re-incarnation of Mao going to town on bankers and landlords.

Also in regards to the chat thread, some people might find the regulars posting in it annoying but one constant is that MOST of the regulars are pretty loving chill and they are far less likely to be needless confrontational on other threads. Thats something that should be standard for most cspam threads (with the exception of the glenn thread, that should always be a posting warzone)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fleetwood posted:

free C-SPAM political prisoners. free rguy, free matey, unban lastgirl
cuppy tea also.

Throwing my support behind name and shame excessive reporters. No limit, but all reports are public.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i shift between threads, but my most consistent ones have been the climate change thread, doomsday econ, covid, gaming, and musk thread. i haven't checked the chat thread or the epstein thread in a while, but i've always enjoyed them when i've read them.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
cspam is cool and i like being able to say "gently caress the democrat party" without being told "oh so you love republicans???"

flavius was the worst mod and now they are gone, so i'm enjoying cspam a lot lately.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
yeah I want to add my voice to the chorus and say that the atmosphere in the forum is a lot better since Flavius hosed off even though there's plenty that could be improved still

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

A Buttery Pastry posted:

agreed make all succzone posters button haters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cspam has too many stickied threads imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'd like each thread to be means tested.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I don't know if I would call it something I "enjoy" but I keep going back to the succ zone to read and post. I don't really look at many other threads here though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Affordable ACCESS to posting

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

whatever is decided i hope Larry Parrish will shut the gently caress up

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I spent like 12 years on these forums without knowing what qcs is and I just want to go back to that

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Jose posted:

cspam has too many stickied threads imo

I agree with this, but I also think the scanned books thread should be re-stickied. It's my favorite thread

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
simply reopen LF thank you

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I lurk a number cspam threads but I like the chat thread the most.

I enjoy C-Spam's Chat thread because it is funny and also informative; I appreciate when someone like Joementum explains some obscure rule or process of congress and why this person or that person makes a motion or a vote or whatever; I appreciate when people post links to stories about current events that are stupid/informative/hypocritical/outrageous from around the country or world that I would never come across otherwise.

Sometimes I think it's funny when someone in the middle of the night posts 5 versions of tumop and trumo and sometimes it's annoying but I don't understand why some people get so bothered by it, just keep scrolling, press PAGE DOWN, like I do in the games chat thread whenever Bloodborne chat goes on for ages (sorry I don't give a poo poo about Bloodborne).

CSPAM is filled with kind and caring posters like Plinkey who has made an incredible effort in the Goonbucks thread to help out needy goons. Elsewhere in the forums I'll see the occasional fundrasier for someone in need but nothing for like everyday ordinary struggles you see in the Goonbucks thread, what Plinkey did is really special.

I enjoy seeing Twoday's calligraphy and art; I enjoy Cumshitter's financial industry anecdotes and about being a father and divorcee.

The annoying poo poo is minor and I ignore it and scroll past and I think most regular cspammers do when I see nobody engaging with it.

Acelerion posted:

I spent like 12 years on these forums without knowing what qcs is and I just want to go back to that

Also this.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I think the weirdos who report poo poo in cspam without ever posting here should be made to post here or else shamed

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

whatever is decided i hope Larry Parrish will shut the gently caress up

:qq:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

everyone dunking on A Buttery Pastry forget the absolute importance of theoretician work to build a better future

I approve, endorse, support and stand with my fellow poster on his scientific approach to improve posting. you shall become the main commissar of GOSPOST, cspams bureau of forums development

and for real I agree with the overlap argument especially in terms of finding mods and those who have more general and broader interaction with the community

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bring back Majorian & make him a cspam mod.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

just leave cspam alone thanks

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bring back oxsnard I need to know what the VIX says

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

pouring one out for all the fallen posters

snoo, majorian, etc

(not for baw tho)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

dew worm posted:

just leave cspam alone thanks

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is there some problem with the servers or whatever that is being caused by people posting things in non-optimal locations? i don't really know about computers so am just checking.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I post doom wherever I want on the internet because we are in fact doomed, but this is the best place for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think that bad posters/people don't like will always exist especially when goons are involved. With bad posters you can tell them to gently caress off or just ignore them.

I think i'm in the minority that think threadbans are pretty lame. There are certain gimmick posters who's gimmick gets tiring but I just ignore those people.

I'm in the same minority then, because I think threadbans as a concept do not belong in cspam. Just ban or probe bad posts.