Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Yesterday morning I bought a new mower and put the old one out for scrap, and in the afternoon my tiny village held a pride event with a parade along the road. The culmination of these two events mean I’ve got a video of an angry drag queen banging my old mower about, declaring it “a loving piece of poo poo,” and throwing it in the hedge. I couldn’t be happier.

Edit: here's a space dog from the future we met yesterday

Sanford fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have a kid on the way and I'm fully expecting to just put up with it :shrug:

If I want complete silence in the afternoon I'll just have to fork out for sound proofing, rather than insist everyone around me forgos afternoon weekend parties lol

Agreed.

Bit of an eye opener on posters firmly on the NIMBY track too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Going to the police about noisy neighbours not not only leads to them doing absolutely nothing except pissing off your neighbours. But it so means you're legally required to inform any potential buyers of your property of those complaints (with hefty fines if you don't).

Good luck selling your house when buyers can see you've made 12 noise complaints in the last year.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Good luck owning a house

FTFY

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Dabir posted:

Is Giles Fraser the dangerous weirdo who wrote that revolting article about going on holiday with his three year old daughter and it being "the sexiest holiday ever" or was that some other Giles

Giles Fraser got famous for resigning from St Paul's at their handling of the Occupy protests on their doorstep, which sounds cool and good, and then turned out to be a complete weirdo with terrible views on most things.

I worked on a play about it, where he was portrayed as a very earnest, principled man going up against the stuffy cathedral hierarchy. This may have been...an oversimplification.

--

Re houses, the solution is to raze all of Britain's housing stock and replace it with beautifully engineered Passivhäuser, with amazing soundproofing, and reversible heat pumps and ventilation systems so good you'll never need to open a window.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
That would be lovely let's do that

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
ok

https://twitter.com/Lafargue/status/1408715294420340740

is this real

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

Buy a scythe and you can cut your lawn whenever you want, and you should definitely do it at night, with the scythe, in your dressing gown, and then sit outside and sharpen the scythe while staring at the house of your neighbour.

pre:
JUST LIVING MY BEST LIFE
:allears:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

People cut lawns in the morning because it's loving hot in the afternoons.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's really a lot easier to wait til the grass is a little less damp before mowing

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya, does anyone remember which thread had my old avatar in it? Someone gave me this one and I would like to change it back. To pre-empt questions, I don't know what I said or did.

Maybe it was because of the "chompsky" tagline? I really don't know.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Gove’s 53 which makes him a young Tory as section 28 was in full swing, most of the other tories mentioned were old enough to be “one rule for them one rule for me” tories during that time. Poor bastard.

I was talking specifically about Portillo but Gove is sort of an interesting one because if he *is* closeted he's of the generation that would have grown up in the culture that led to Section 28 and as he definitely always seems to have wanted to be an establishment figure (he was in the Young Conservatives at Oxford with Johnson) would definitely have been under intense - if passive - pressure to keep himself in the closet, get married, and pump out some kids. Like you say, poor bastard, but also he can gently caress off for all the poo poo he's done and will continue to do that has nothing at all to do with his genitals.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

according to the mail the footage came from a gammon security guard who was upset freedom day had been put back, he tried to shop it to them first via instagram lol

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Heya, does anyone remember which thread had my old avatar in it? Someone gave me this one and I would like to change it back. To pre-empt questions, I don't know what I said or did.

Maybe it was because of the "chompsky" tagline? I really don't know.

Big robot guy or watch funny videos shark?

e: I thought old avatars still showed on older posts but a quick dive a few weeks back in your post history and its not there. :(

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Just on a really picky point, Ministers aren't democratically elected. They're appointed by the PM and don't even have to be MPs.

Also this wasn't a blackmail protection racket it was a security guard looking to make some money

Also it wasn't just "having an affair" it was deliberately and repeatedly flaunting the rules you yourself have imposed on the entire loving country.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The whole cocaine situation is damning enough of Gove and his ilk.

I've heard he was actually quite pleasant to work with as environment secretary though from a civil servant, which kind of makes him feel worse to me. He apparently actually listened and cared. It's like he has a genuinely decent inner child crushed by a loving odious, duplicitous self-serving ambition.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Doccykins posted:

according to the mail the footage came from a gammon security guard who was upset freedom day had been put back, he tried to shop it to them first via instagram lol

ok this is what i had heard and why i thought the whole sun protection racket seemed too much

but then again it’s the sun so

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Big robot guy or watch funny videos shark?

e: I thought old avatars still showed on older posts but a quick dive a few weeks back in your post history and its not there. :(

Big robot guy for preference.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

bump_fn posted:

ok this is what i had heard and why i thought the whole sun protection racket seemed too much

but then again it’s the sun so

Downing Street have said they know who leaked it but won't be having an investigation so you can read between the lines as to why not

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jiggerypokery posted:

I've heard he was actually quite pleasant to work with as environment secretary though from a civil servant, which kind of makes him feel worse to me. He apparently actually listened and cared. It's like he has a genuinely decent inner child crushed by a loving odious, duplicitous self-serving ambition.

This is something I have read about Gove a lot. That he was actually a very competent minister as Environment secretary in that he actually listened to people that know what they're talking about as he didn't have a clue about the subject and actively tried to implement their ideas.

I believe this is in vast difference to his time as education minister where he went in with an agenda of what to do and ignored anything that went counter to that. Perhaps the outright hatred he got for that role lead to personal change?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I did have a CD by a really satanic black metal band, I can see the cover in my head, but can't remember the band name.

Here, let me help

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jiggerypokery posted:

Downing Street have said they know who leaked it but won't be having an investigation so you can read between the lines as to why not

It was a security guard who has been fired.

They won't be investigating it because then they'd have to put on record how their security has so little oversight that a security guard can walk out with footage from Ministers offices, with the obvious questions of what else has been heard/seen on these cameras that has made it to other nations instead of just newspapers.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

jiggerypokery posted:

The Private Eye line on this is that unlike Education, which he'd spent years cooking up an idiotic masterplan for, he got the environment brief unexpectedly, and at least had the sense to recognise his own ignorance and listen to the advisers.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I did some work with Gove in MoJ and for a scumsucking Tory piece of poo poo he wasn't so bad. Then again he was coming straight after Grayling and spent most of his time undoing his many gently caress ups.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i would have lifted him up and squished him against a big window to see if his mouth stuck to it like a suction cup

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Having worked work night shifts etc. you do just have to accept there will be noise in the day, and people with have bbqs and parties and things. If it's your immediate neighbour you can have a chat and say 'Do you mind keeping it down the next few mornings I'm coming off a run of night shifts' and they might be a decent sort. Getting into noise complaints and calling the police is a route destined for escalation and aggro.

A lot of the issues with neighbourhood noise are made worse by the absolute cardboard rabbit hutches we call houses in the UK.

serious gaylord posted:

They won't be investigating it because then they'd have to put on record how their security has so little oversight that a security guard can walk out with footage from Ministers offices, with the obvious questions of what else has been heard/seen on these cameras that has made it to other nations instead of just newspapers.

It's this.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 27, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Worth remembering that Gove does have a reputation as one of the most insanely, rabidly racist government ministers, even if specific examples have been rare to surface in the news.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

The cameras wouldn't have sound for very obvious reasons, and are generally just pointed at doors and other entrance points. I suppose a determined attacker could employ lip readers and hope people discuss affairs of state (rather than just having them, arf arf) in front of their office door for some reason. Meanwhile every minister and civil servant in every government on earth seems to conduct all of their business through gmail and whatsapp.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

i would have lifted him up and squished him against a big window to see if his mouth stuck to it like a suction cup

I think if you throw him at a window he'd "walk" down it like one of those octopus things.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Necrothatcher posted:

I did some work with Gove in MoJ and for a scumsucking Tory piece of poo poo he wasn't so bad. Then again he was coming straight after Grayling and spent most of his time undoing his many gently caress ups.

Yeah my missus is a teacher so when he became justice I was bracing myself for him loving up my work as well and then he was... fine? Like he didn't resolve any of the issues that are crippling our legal system but he didn't actively make it any worse.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

Big robot guy for preference.

I'm fairly certain the art was from the Lancer tabletop rpg.

Was it this?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Should I attempt to tell my downstairs neighbour (very hot for you breeders) Chinese lass belting out 'Camp town races' on the old Joanne is not right?

e: because I have the song in my head. doo dah.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 27, 2021

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Did he actually get anything done in education or dis brexit corsair everything?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Everyone's been to school so everyone has an opinion on education (often "mine was best").

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

jiggerypokery posted:

Did he actually get anything done in education or dis brexit corsair everything?

He was education before Brexit, 2010-2014. He pushed for academisation and reform of qualifications. He was also a big believer in improving academic rigour.

Wiki page about it

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
The only thing I remember gove for in education is writing a foreword to the Bible and sending one to every school in the country

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

serious gaylord posted:

This is something I have read about Gove a lot. That he was actually a very competent minister as Environment secretary in that he actually listened to people that know what they're talking about as he didn't have a clue about the subject and actively tried to implement their ideas.

I believe this is in vast difference to his time as education minister where he went in with an agenda of what to do and ignored anything that went counter to that. Perhaps the outright hatred he got for that role lead to personal change?

I've always seen Gove as someone who wants to do what's best, but doesn't as a rule know what is best. In Education he had a lot of lovely ideas and pushed them through because he believed they were right. In Justice he undid a lot of the poo poo Grayling did because he believed it wasn't just. And in Environment he knew he didn't know, so he asked people who did. But it's all filtered through being a Tory.

Also I see we've gone from COVID-19 straight into JAVID-21. We're all doomed.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm also enjoying finding out that classified MoD documents were found in a soggy heap behind a bus stop in Kent, for the sheer incongruity of it.

- If they weren't stolen, why would you take 50 pages out of whatever bag you were carrying them in before you got home/to another office? And them dump them behind a bus stop?
- If you're entitled to have access to them, why would you print them off in the first place, rather than just reading the secured PDF on your laptop?
- If they were stolen, why would you dump them behind a bus stop? If you've stolen the bag they're in, surely you just take the whole bag and sort out what's inside later?
- If this is just the MoD saying "We're vewy sowwy" to Russia, isn't there an easier way of doing it than some dogshit fake leak that also tests the water of public opinion on keeping troops in Afghanistan once the USA pulls out?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Doccykins posted:

The only thing I remember gove for in education is writing a foreword to the Bible and sending one to every school in the country

"All characters and events depicted in this book are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Leader would like a quiet word outside.