Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

Urgh my Don't Get Got - Shut Up & Sit Down Special Edition arrived today and it looks like some fuckwit in customs has had a field day.

You should see my copy of Belaad: The Land of Swords and Quills. The Iranian postal service stuck it in a packing box with no padding then sealed it with 2-inch copper staples, one of which gouged the box lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
heckin hounds looks heckin cute

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

heckin hounds is heckin backed

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I wish I knew someone who had a copy so I could demo it. It looks like a lot of fun, but because it's an import only item I've always been hesitant on pulling the trigger.

If you have and are willing to play games with Tabletop Simulator there's mods of TMB (and Cloudspire and Hoplomachus-in-its-old-incarnation) with Chip Theory's blessing. It is not nearly as nice as playing with actual components, but you get the sense of the gameplay. What with the pandemic, TTS represents all but one playthrough I've done of TMB and 100% of my Cloudspire play. Looking forward to that changing.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Leraika posted:

heckin hounds looks heckin cute

Infinitum posted:

heckin hounds is heckin backed

Thank you so much. I'm grinning so hard my face hurts. The campaign is already nearly 50% funded and it's not even 10am.

Here's the kickstarter link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/527566924/heckin-hounds?ref=q52d0a

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Frozen Peach posted:

Thank you so much. I'm grinning so hard my face hurts. The campaign is already nearly 50% funded and it's not even 10am.

Also backed, good luck!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Backed!

I’ve also come across a KS expansion for the Warehouse 13 board game from 2017. The game itself appears to be out of print, so they’re doing a tier with the base game too.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fallonmyblade/tide-breaker-rpg-cinematic-tabletop-rpg-system

I can't tell if I keep hearing about this because it's genuinely being hyped, or because the creator is great at hyping.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silvervinepublishing/floria-the-verdant-way-indie-japanese-trpg-translation

Floria: The Verdant Way is now up on Kickstarter. This is a unique Japanese indie TRPG where you cast spells by drawing and filling in shapes on your character sheet while exploring the rich lore of an endless magic forest. It’s created by Nekotsuki, one of the most influential women in the Japanese indie scene who currently heads the most popular indie circle over there. She’s awesome and her game is awesome so give it some love.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Getsuya posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silvervinepublishing/floria-the-verdant-way-indie-japanese-trpg-translation

Floria: The Verdant Way is now up on Kickstarter. This is a unique Japanese indie TRPG where you cast spells by drawing and filling in shapes on your character sheet while exploring the rich lore of an endless magic forest. It’s created by Nekotsuki, one of the most influential women in the Japanese indie scene who currently heads the most popular indie circle over there. She’s awesome and her game is awesome so give it some love.

Backed!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

CitizenKeen posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fallonmyblade/tide-breaker-rpg-cinematic-tabletop-rpg-system

I can't tell if I keep hearing about this because it's genuinely being hyped, or because the creator is great at hyping.

TideBreaker is genuinely really good. I bought the early access version and, while it was in desperate need of a good editor to get everything organised, the soul of what was there was fantastic.

Basically it's a shonen anime simulator with a crunchy power creation system, some really neat mechanics both in and out of combat, and a GM system that's set up to let the GM and players really push against each other to save or doom the world they've put together. I'm a big fan.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

potatocubed posted:

TideBreaker is genuinely really good. I bought the early access version and, while it was in desperate need of a good editor to get everything organised, the soul of what was there was fantastic.

Basically it's a shonen anime simulator with a crunchy power creation system, some really neat mechanics both in and out of combat, and a GM system that's set up to let the GM and players really push against each other to save or doom the world they've put together. I'm a big fan.

What length of play is Tidebreaker meant for? I’m pretty much solely in the market for campaign-length games these days, but if Tidebreaker can handle a fair number of sessions, I’m cautiously interested.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Lludwik's Labyrinth just launched today too. It's the... Sequel/expansion for Minions of Mordak, which is one of the best-produced games I've ever backed. It's a pretty good game, and my boys and I enjoyed it a lot, but one vs many doesn't always work so well.

Fortunately, this one's going to be a co-op/legacy campaign game - and it's got an expansion to make Minions of Mordak co-op, too.

The minis and storage were both outstanding on the first game, and here's hoping it's just as great here, too.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyboundgames/valor-and-villainy-lludwiks-labyrinth?ref=android_project_share

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kestral posted:

What length of play is Tidebreaker meant for? I’m pretty much solely in the market for campaign-length games these days, but if Tidebreaker can handle a fair number of sessions, I’m cautiously interested.

When you set the game up you create a setting made of locations, and then the PCs do things in those locations to try and solve their problems while the villain ruins those locations in the name of their evil scheme. It won't continue indefinitely because at some point somebody is going to win, but it's meant for campaign play.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Frozen Peach posted:

Wait, this is a reskin of walking doggoes? I played that at Geekway play to win. Didn’t know you were StL local.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

potatocubed posted:

Backed. Waiting for the early access link to get sent out. Sounds like the kind of thing I could get behind.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Wait, this is a reskin of walking doggoes? I played that at Geekway play to win. Didn’t know you were StL local.

I think of it less as a reskin and more as a whole new game that has the base mechanic of Walking Doggos. Rather than being a one round game with a afterthought of "well you can play multiple rounds if you want" I added several new mechanics that really bring the game together as a whole thing.

I'm actually on the Geekway board, and live about 2 hours north of St. Louis. Not quite local, but close enough.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm really meant to be limiting the Kickstarters that I get involved with considering the issues with tax and shipping. That being said I'm already in for Canvas, Chai and the Buttonshy stuff. Since one of my friends runs a doggy hotel sort of thing I can't not back Heckin' Hounds. Some real first world problems when too many people are making games that appeal specifically to me. However will I cope?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just sent out a v cool update for Monster Care Squad with a link to our early access/beta release in surprise web-format.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just sent out a v cool update for Monster Care Squad with a link to our early access/beta release in surprise web-format.

This is neat and on the computer at least I prefer it to the PDF, so thanks for the surprise.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

neaden posted:

This is neat and on the computer at least I prefer it to the PDF, so thanks for the surprise.

Glad to hear it! Dee, one of our layout people, has been working on this sorta thing for their own project, and out of the blue slapped this together for us. They might also get us an app too, we'll see, I'm not sure how many people will be into that but its apparently a pretty easy process now that we have the web version mostly there so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
DCC Dying Earth is live, with some early bird spots left.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Frozen Peach posted:

Question, because I honestly couldn't see anything one way or another about this on the Kickstarter page. Are EU copies being shipped from within the EU, or from the United States? I'm asking because with taxes and import fees the price of the game will roughly double for me if the latter, in which case I'll need to think about it.

I mean, I understand if that's the case because a small indie team might not have access to the kinds of shipping networks this might need, but I'm asking anyway.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I haven't read all of it, but goddamn, this is dope as gently caress and might end up being the #1 RPG that isn't D&D.

Seriously.

Dope

AF

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Question, because I honestly couldn't see anything one way or another about this on the Kickstarter page. Are EU copies being shipped from within the EU, or from the United States? I'm asking because with taxes and import fees the price of the game will roughly double for me if the latter, in which case I'll need to think about it.

I mean, I understand if that's the case because a small indie team might not have access to the kinds of shipping networks this might need, but I'm asking anyway.

My guess is that it largely depends on how many backers we get from each region before we decide, but I passed your question onto James. I'll let you know when I get an answer for you.

In the meantime since we're funded I made a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971523

Edit:

James posted:

Which distribution partners we use in a given geographical area is somewhat dependent on the final backer totals, since as a new publisher we had to account for the possibility of failure. Currently we're on trend to potentially have an EU fulfillment partner since interest has (thankfully!) been strong in the project. If ultimately shipping values post-campaign end up being a large amount of sticker shock because of only one or two copies going to a given area, we will certainly honor refund requests.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 25, 2021

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

mllaneza posted:

I haven't read all of it, but goddamn, this is dope as gently caress and might end up being the #1 RPG that isn't D&D.

Seriously.

Dope

AF

Gosh, thank you so much

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

I have to imagine that people are at least beginning to look into the possibility of creating that infrastructure right now. I don't think it's going to be as simple as just "waiting out" the prices. It's like oil in the 70s. Now that they've seen what we'll pay, who's going to be the first shipper to drop prices? It's not like demand's going down anytime soon -- ships are going to be full for the foreseeable future.

I'd expect to see it to slip earlier in card games, RPGs - basically anything which involves printing cards and books. Printing presses are pretty deglobalised - the entire POD model of Lulu and DTRPG and the like depends on having deals with a network of local printers to get the job done, if you can't get something printed locally from those sources it's more due to them not having a deal with a local printer than to it being impossible to get anything printed locally.

Of course, if stuff like dice were part of the deal on the Kickstarter, that becomes more complex. But even before all this, I've seen enough RPG Kickstarters late because of manufacturing delays over custom dice that I'd honestly prefer if people said "You know what? You almost certainly already have dice, you don't need dice with our logo on it" and did rulebook-only Kickstarters, where all the stuff can be printed locally.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just want to give a quick shout-out to Tea, Scones, and Arsenic as it's in the last 72 hours.

Drink tea, eat sconesbiscuits, and poison each other to inherit a fortune. Looks like a great little inbetweener style game, and it comes in a metal tin. It's a tin of biscuits! Just like grandma used to buy! :swoon:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also I wanted to post this

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Just want to give a quick shout-out to Tea, Scones, and Arsenic as it's in the last 72 hours.

Drink tea, eat sconesbiscuits, and poison each other to inherit a fortune. Looks like a great little inbetweener style game, and it comes in a metal tin. It's a tin of biscuits! Just like grandma used to buy! :swoon:

They still haven't fixed the description though. Insanity.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Infinitum posted:

Also I wanted to post this

I definitely noticed that two or three days after it appeared on the Battle.Net launcher, it was already pushed off the news section. I actually kinda feel sorry for these guys. It seems like they put in a bit of work designing this weird thing and getting Blizzard's licensing approval, but this whole campaign was just... not planned out at all. Although, I guess you could say that the game itself wasn't properly planned to begin with.

I don't know if they expected the WoW IP to sell itself, or how they thought this campaign would actually work. I caught a news post for it on WoWHead a week after it launched because I was actively watching for it, but between the TBC Classic release & upcoming patch info, they pump out dozens of random articles a day. Over half the comments (which weren't many) were gawking over the price and black paint edition, so even dedicated WoW fans weren't willing to jump on this.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 27, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Desfore posted:

I definitely noticed that two or three days after it appeared on the Battle.Net launcher, it was already pushed off the news section. I actually kinda feel sorry for these guys. It seems like they put in a bit of work designing this weird thing and getting Blizzard's licensing approval, but this whole campaign was just... not planned out at all. Although, I guess you could say that the game itself wasn't properly planned to begin with.

Asking a half million dollars up front for ANY board game speaks to a severe lack of both planning and understanding, imo. It's not that tabletop game projects can't reach that amount, but they aren't usually predicated on meeting that amount as the minimum for funding, and projects that set things that high are usually just shooting for the moon without any sort of plan behind it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Desfore posted:

I don't know if they expected the WoW IP to sell itself, or how they thought this campaign would actually work. I caught a news post for it on WoWHead a week after it launched because I was actively watching for it, but between the TBC Classic release & upcoming patch info, they pump out dozens of random articles a day. Over half the comments (which weren't many) were gawking over the price and black paint edition, so even dedicated WoW fans weren't willing to jump on this.

If you're asking PS5 levels money for each copy with a 500k funding goal, it needs to be something amazing and truly special - It's not.

From their own update section

quote:

Nightly, by candlelight or lantern, we’d draw lines in the dirt and use rocks for pieces.

Everything they've added just detracts from the game underneath. Just go play with some rocks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Frosthaven had 500k as a (nominal) funding goal but that's a special case.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Frosthaven had 500k as a (nominal) funding goal but that's a special case.

Based on a wildly successful first game. Tons of extras. Weighs as much as a small child due to the amount of content and not just random garbage. Yeah, I’d say that’s a different case.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doctor Zero posted:

Based on a wildly successful first game. Tons of extras. Weighs as much as a small child due to the amount of content and not just random garbage. Yeah, I’d say that’s a different case.

It's basically the only game I can think of that actually set a goal that high. Even most of CMON's things (which are obviously designed to pull in millions) aim for less, same for KDM and every other big box of minis. Hundreds of thousands is common, 500k isn't.

Which is why it was insanity for this project to aim for it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

It's entirely possible that the 500k is a realistic goal for hitting any sort of profit. There's a certain psychology at work with the board game market, especially the mini-heavy ones. So many times the games put a funding goal so far lower than what it would actually cost to produce the game just so they can say "FUNDED IN 10 MINS" when realistically the game isn't getting made unless they actually hit 500k+. That's why a lot of mini games get cancelled even though they've hit their stated funding goal. But then games that put realistic funding goals sometimes just struggle to gain any momentum because they don't have that apparent feeding frenzy that those other games that funded immediately have.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Desfore posted:

I saw in the comments a few days ago that they were thinking of doing a campaign for just the minis, so maybe they can recover some of their development costs that way if they put a reasonable price tag on it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky posted:

It's entirely possible that the 500k is a realistic goal for hitting any sort of profit. There's a certain psychology at work with the board game market, especially the mini-heavy ones. So many times the games put a funding goal so far lower than what it would actually cost to produce the game just so they can say "FUNDED IN 10 MINS" when realistically the game isn't getting made unless they actually hit 500k+. That's why a lot of mini games get cancelled even though they've hit their stated funding goal. But then games that put realistic funding goals sometimes just struggle to gain any momentum because they don't have that apparent feeding frenzy that those other games that funded immediately have.

This is absolutely a factor to consider and there have been numerous Kickstarters that ran into the issue of setting their funding goal too low because they were counting on a perpetual hype train and then even though they met their goal, they couldn't get to the "real" goal and so had to cancel the project.

A huge physical project with a lot of pieces like this WoW game is almost certainly not the sort of thing you can get away with making for cheap and I don't begrudge game designers from setting realistic funding goals, but if $500k really is the necessary target for this project then it's just kicking the can of unrealistic expectations further down the road to the fact that these guys have no rep, no name recognition, nothing to help them actually earn that $500k. Like the Frosthaven example, which is a result of Gloomhaven's two massively successful kickstarters and critical acclaim giving people both the confidence and desire to help a project of that asking price fund.

So you've definitely got a point that physical game manufacture (to say nothing of shipping) isn't a cheap proposition and from that perspective it may not be "fair" to say to someone "hey man you shouldn't be asking for this for your project, even if you've done the math" but I can't really imagine a way these guys are gonna get what they're shooting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

StarkRavingMad posted:

I saw in the comments a few days ago that they were thinking of doing a campaign for just the minis, so maybe they can recover some of their development costs that way if they put a reasonable price tag on it.

They did say they deliberately designed the minis to be fiddly and expensive to produce.

Also IIRC the scale is way off what most people play with, so it's only collector types who are the target.