Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I really cant recommend getting sushi here, CO is an inland state after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Control Volume posted:

Pre-pandemic Sushi Den’s fish was all bought in Japan. I don’t know how things are going currently however, but that’s one of their “things”.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Hauki posted:

Acorn is closed permanently, if that’s what you meant. It was a good spot though!

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm 95% sure this is where I went: https://thesourcehotel.com/the-woods

That 5% uncertainty is because it was GABF week and things were a bit foggy.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If you can get a table at potager I'd go for that, it's a lovely farm to table joint.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

nullfunction posted:

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm 95% sure this is where I went: https://thesourcehotel.com/the-woods

That 5% uncertainty is because it was GABF week and things were a bit foggy.

Ah. Acorn used to be a restaurant in the original half of the Source (the building Crooked Stave used to be in, too) until this past fall. They have a sister restaurant called Oak, and that's thematically similar enough to Woods that, well, seemed like a stretch but I wasn't sure what else you meant since I've mostly just seen the rooftop referred to as the rooftop. Acorn mostly did upscale small plate kinda stuff, decent cocktails, but also had a pretty solid lunch/brunch service. Good mochi doughnuts, but they seemed to sell out a lot.

As far as other places that are currently open for the other guy, Joy Hill is my new favorite weird pizza place if you end up down Broadway, their dough & bread are pretty good. It's also just up the street from Black Project and across from Dos Luces, who I've been curious to try. Maria Empanada, La Doña Mezcaleria & Adelita's are all right there too if any of those appeal.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Hauki posted:

Acorn is closed permanently, if that’s what you meant. It was a good spot though! Safta is next door and really good Mediterranean. As far as Mexican, I suppose Tacos El Reydesel. La Calle. Comal Kitchen. Las Tortas for a casual lunch maybe. Work & Class is good too, albeit not really Mexican. Ototo is really good, small plate kinda place by the same people as Sushi Den etc. If you haven’t tried them already, I like Black Project, TRVE & Prost for beer too.

Little out of the loop with the pandemic and all, but I can throw out more suggestions if there’s something specific you’re looking for.

Thanks for the Mexican recommendations. As for other stuff? Really anything (but sushi) is great! Hole in the wall or off the beaten path is good too.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Hauki posted:

Acorn is closed permanently, if that’s what you meant. It was a good spot though! Safta is next door and really good Mediterranean. As far as Mexican, I suppose Tacos El Reydesel. La Calle. Comal Kitchen. Las Tortas for a casual lunch maybe. Work & Class is good too, albeit not really Mexican. Ototo is really good, small plate kinda place by the same people as Sushi Den etc. If you haven’t tried them already, I like Black Project, TRVE & Prost for beer too.

Little out of the loop with the pandemic and all, but I can throw out more suggestions if there’s something specific you’re looking for.

I really enjoy Adelidas, they have excellent mole chicken and they're next door to Black Project. Over in The Source, Smok is some really solid bougie bbq. If you want something fancy and expensive El Five is great Spanish food with the best views in the city.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Any recommendations for breweries in the Philly and Baltimore areas? A friend is going down that way next week and said they'll grab me some stuff from anywhere that sounds good to me.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Union in Baltimore is very good and goon associated.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Philly: Not Tired Hands - https://www.brewbound.com/news/tidal-wave-of-sexual-harassment-allegations-and-toxicity-in-craft-beer-industry-lead-to-terminations/

Human Robot: the haze should be avoided and it's all loving disgusting, but the lager/pils kicks rear end... even recently saw they installed a Czech side pour tap :allears:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, I heard about Tired Hands, had automatically crossed them off the mental list. Hearing about all this stuff certainly isn't surprising. I work in a women-owned brewery and don't have to interface with the public (and am a dude), so I haven't really seen it happen to any of my colleagues, but the industry is so male-dominated, it's not at all shocking. Still sad and disgusting, but not surprising.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations so far, will check those out.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Baltimore -

Definitely check out Monument City and Checkerspot in the city, and Manor Hill makes an excellent Grisette if you want to go a little further out of town. It's not a brewery, but Max's is one of the best beer bars in the country.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Counterpoint: Tired Hands is employee-operated now, and there are a lot of really good people who work there, so consider still patronizing them

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The best breweries in Baltimore are Union, Monument City, and Brewer’s Art. They’re all consistent and they make solid beer.

If you want to get a little more adventurous there’s Nepenthe and Wet City, which are doing a lot of hazy IPAs and lactose sours.

If you are in the county and areas outside of Baltimore then Sapwood is worth a stop. It’s the best brewery in Maryland imho. They do a little bit of everything.

Black Flag isn’t far from Sapwood and they are kinda doing their own thing. Some classic stuff, some weird stuff. I always hit Black Flag when I drive out to Sapwood.

There’s also the Guinness brewery, which is a very cool place to visit. And they have a bunch of one-off and taproom exclusive beers.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got back from GA a couple weeks ago with a 6-pack of "Hippies Use the Side Door" from River Watch Brewery in Augusta, it's really good. Very floral, cocktail-level of flavor complexity.

I didn't find The Silent World anywhere, I know someone recommended it, but I didn't go through Athens and couldn't find it at the places I stopped in ATL and Augusta.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Had three pints of BrewDogs Lost Lager on draft, a German-style pilsner dry hopped with German Saphir hops. I guess some might call it an Italian Pils or whatever. I really enjoyed it. Clean Pilsner character, a little smooth but with a crisp bitter finish.

Pilsners with subtle dry-hopping are neck and neck with saison as my favorite style.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Going on a road trip next week, looking for food and brewery recommendations for:

Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, Lexington. We'll be in Chicago 3 days, everything else just one day.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Breweries: Off Color (Mousetrap) is a must. Metropolitan's taproom is supposed to be very nice (I still haven't made it). Hopewell is great. Middle Brow is great (food is very good too). Half Acre is still the probably the best pale ale brewer in the city and you can get Keeping Together (former head brewer of Jester King) beers there, too. Revolution's tap room has that big-rear end beer hall feel, which isn't common in the city.

Food: Pequods (pizza), Irazu (Costa Rican and BYOB), Ethiopian Diamond (... Ethiopian), Twisted Spoke (bar food, great whiskey list, too), any place but Tank Noodle (they're lovely people) around Brodaway and Argyle for Vietnamese, Bodega Sur (Argentinian tapas), Lao Peng You (dumplings, tho their website says take-out only now). You can also hit Randolph, west of the loop, and just walk a couple miles and have lots of good options.

If you're looking for something higher-priced, I think Elske is the best "value" of the Michelin starred restaurants that I've been to. It's not Alinea-level but I liked it more than some of the other higher-priced, more famous places. I also very much liked Parachute but I did it Pandemic-Take-Out style.

If you like cocktails, getting a reservation at the Aviary is a must, as well. It honestly isn't that much more expensive than getting 3-4 drinks at any random bar in the area and the experience is loving great.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

atothesquiz posted:

Headed to Denver on Thursday for my first vacation in over a year. Beirstadt is already number 1 on my list of beers to have but what about food? Sushi was already covered a few posts ago, so what else do we have? Anything from food truck to Michelin star is welcome, perhaps great mexican / texmex.

We're staying near 20th and Park but we'll have a car and plan on getting out west of the city during the day too.

Casa Bonita.

Detective Thompson posted:

Any recommendations for breweries in the Philly and Baltimore areas? A friend is going down that way next week and said they'll grab me some stuff from anywhere that sounds good to me.

If you're gonna eschew Tired Hands, then Forest and Main is defintely worth a trip, although like TH now they're takeout beer only and limited hours. Human Robot's lagers are great, I just had their Franconia-style one and it was delicious. Love City does decent stuff.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 27, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

Phanatic posted:

Casa Bonita.

Has it reopened? It’s future was in doubt when I was back in April.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

highme posted:

Has it reopened? It’s future was in doubt when I was back in April.

Regretfully, yes.

Fortunately you cant buy the food yet

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Josh Wow posted:

Going on a road trip next week, looking for food and brewery recommendations for:

Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, Lexington. We'll be in Chicago 3 days, everything else just one day.

Midtown Detroit has locations of Jolly Pumpkin and Hopcat about a block apart from each other. The shawarma at Bucharest Grill is one of my all time favorite foods and I have dreams about their garlic sauce. Also liked basically every Detroit style pizza place I've tried - been to Jet's, Niki's, and Buddy's.

danbanana posted:

Keeping Together

Finally got to have a bottle share and opened Thoughts Without a Thinker, what a phenomenal saison :allears:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAJYmq0pQhj/?hl=en

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Been buying Budlight lately since I heard Coors was crappy with unions

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

Been buying Budlight lately since I heard Coors was crappy with unions

Miller lite is union babbbyyy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I will keep that in mind!

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Anyone got a good recommendation on a great brewery to stop at on a road trip between Raleigh, NC and Syracuse, IN?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Since the Denver thing got brought up again wrt Casa Bonita, Sushi Katsu on Havana is super good, and all the fish you get for sushi no matter where you are has been frozen so the inland thing is kind of a red herring (I'm sorry I swear it wasn't intended as a pun). I had the best yellowtail nigiri of my life there. The friend I went with said that the food there is good by the standards of where he grew up on the coast, and he is vocal about the food here being garbage in comparison.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My heart had to betray Sushi Katsu to make that post and if you must have sushi, that would be the only place I point you to. But it really is a place meant for locals who can't get higher quality, not a reason to visit CO. Even in that street I would say Katsu Ramen is the better choice for tourists

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Whose a sushi!?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Josh Wow posted:

In Lexington, West Sixth brewing was pretty good, and my wife and I had a nice dinner at Distilled on Jefferson.

For Indy, Livery was a great Latin American place we went for dinner, Ball & Biscuit was a high end cocktail place we enjoyed, and we didn't care for Sun King or St. Joseph's much, although both have great spaces (St. Joseph's is in a huge church).

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
San Francisco beer aficionados in the thread: What's the general vibe on Fort Point? I live in Kentucky so my understanding of how they're perceived in the Bay Area is... minimal at best—they seem pretty cool? I interviewed with them about a design position and I wanted to learn more about them from anyone who is not an owner/CEO.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Abner Assington posted:

San Francisco beer aficionados in the thread: What's the general vibe on Fort Point? I live in Kentucky so my understanding of how they're perceived in the Bay Area is... minimal at best—they seem pretty cool? I interviewed with them about a design position and I wanted to learn more about them from anyone who is not an owner/CEO.

The beer is a step above Miller High Life, Budweiser, Natty Ice, Corona, Modelo and the like. Their beer isn't bad, it's very consistent and they're typically easy drinking and not interesting.

I would put it one step below the ranks of Anchor Steam, Stone, Lagunitas, Deschutes, Sierra Nevada, Founders, Sam Adams and Ballast Point.

The owner's wife, did all the designs for the cans., she also works for the company. I love Fort Point's marketing.

I go to four different bottle shops in San Francisco, I do not recall ever seeing Fort Point. Although I've seen variants of Stone, Lagunitas, Deschutes, Sierra Nevada, Founders and Sam Adams.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 9, 2021

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like how your example of "meh" are beers i constantly buy. Lmao

:smith:

Its modelo time

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've got 13 Modelos waiting for me and a squeeze of lime. Tough to do better than that.

highme
May 25, 2001

Gonna need 12 more squeezes of lime

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Throw a little Tapatio and/or Tajin in there if you're feeling extra frisky, or go full blown Michelada

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lmao I got fuggin Landshark on tap in the kegerator :yum:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I like how your example of "meh" are beers i constantly buy. Lmao

:smith:

Its modelo time

Hey man, you know me, dirty DIPA drinker all day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

obi_ant posted:

49th State Brewing Moderation; This remains one of the best beers I’ve ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

obi_ant posted:

Bunch of us beer goons just got together in Richmond last week and I ordered this beer at The Veil. It's an IPA with activated charcoal and it was so bad I returned it.

I guess it's my own fault for ordering it but what the gently caress who looks at that dishwater poo poo and says "yeah, let's sell it"? :psyduck: