Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

To be clear, he was forced to do that because the rest of the gods blamed him for it going bad. They promised a builder Freya, the sun, and the moon to build the walls of Asgard by himself in a certain time frame. He makes one request: To use his horse Svađilfari to help him. Loki helps convince the gods to allow it. Because Svađilfari is the greatest horse to live at that time, the builder is looking like he'll pull it off. This pisses the gods off, so they tell Loki it's his fault and he better fix it.

So he turns into a girl horse and Svađilfari gets big horned up and runs off to gently caress him.

The actual punchline is that none of this matters, because the Aesir find out that the builder was a jotunn and decide that means the bet doesn't count, so Thor takes his hammer and bashes the guys loving head in. Then Loki gives birth to Sleipnir, the greatest of all horses, and Odin proceeds to use him as a mount.

Aesir are right up there with the Olympians for fuckers that deserved everything that came to them.

I remember reading this story and my face being :stonk: the entire time.

Great story, 10/10 would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Sentinel Red posted:

Get hosed, cloth ears, the main Thor/Yggdrasil theme was awesome and reused in Ragnarok.

Insulting me that way was completely unnecesary.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Solenna posted:

Also he did that to make Svađilfari's owner lose a bet.

Loki's traditional schemings are a little more out there than the MCU's versions.

Loki's schemes in the MCU don't even feel mischievous in general, and are mostly focused on "how can I use this situation to take more power" rather than "how can I use this situation to gently caress with people in some way" or what have you. Thor does mention Loki turning him into a frog at some point in the past during Ragnarok, but beyond that I'm not sure he's done anything that wasn't ultimately in pursuit of power over Earth/Asgard, rather than for the sake of fun or messing with people. As such, he feels less like the God of Mischief than the God of Covetousness. Maybe Odin designed his horn helm to act as training wheels too, and at some point he'll have a revelation along Thor's lines in Ragnarok about how he can be more than he is and not rely on something to define him.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Excellent observation. The ideas about ancient mythology and religions we have today are often based on very simplified and narratively fixed stories for the layman’s consumption. The actual deep-time origins of these myths and cults are murky and messy, the gods as we recognize them actually being mashups of tribal gods that got synchronized as those tribes became unified civilizations.

There's also the idea that before written word that people would travel around telling stories they had learned off, and that they would tell the story at least a little differently each time, either because they had only learned off the basic gist and parts where changed to fill the moment, because they were tailoring the story to their audience and/or because they just wanted to tell it a little different that night for themselves as much as the audience. So sometimes Loki would be Odin's brother, sometimes he'd be Odin's son, sometimes he'd be a Frost Giant attacking Asgard etc. It just depended on who was telling the story to who and when.

Then when stories started being written down, there was only one version written down because (a) writing was a rare skill and (b) the ink/vellum wasn't exactly cheap either. Which didn't create the concept of "canon", but certainly set a precedent for it. The fact a lot of stories about religions or myths were written down by outsiders with their own biases about the societies they were based on didn't help either.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How I see it is Loki used to be super mischievous but during the events of the original Thor grew out of being the god of mischief into wanting to be an actual god that is worshipped.

quote:

My brother knows I love snakes so he transformed himself into a snake and when I picked it up he turned back to himself like “surprise” and then he stabbed me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Or more likely, the original Thor movie was back during the boring direction and zero creative risks era and that's why it's missing. The movie was a big enough risk already without getting experimental (and oh boy is there a lot to pick from).

The Netflix show Ragnarok had Loki give birth to snake in season 2. Magic stuff.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thor needs more of these Ralph Wiggum moments.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Loki and Svađilfari were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

How I see it is Loki used to be super mischievous but during the events of the original Thor grew out of being the god of mischief into wanting to be an actual god that is worshipped

My brother knows I love snakes so he transformed himself into a snake and when I picked it up he turned back to himself like “surprise” and then he stabbed me.

Even Mobius points out that nothing he has done is mischievous. Zero.

Also don't forget to post the video of that quote! The delivery is great and I love that those lines --supposedly- weren't scripted, including Tom Hiddleston clearly trying not to laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbq2mYimFrY

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ Well, poo poo.

Anita Dickinme posted:

quote:

There's an outtake reel of this as they're going through a bunch of different lines and it's loving hilarious.

Can't find it for the life of me, though, because youtube's search sucks and every single influencer and creative and other euphemism for parasocial leech has put out their own version of stuff Marver's released.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^^ Well, poo poo.

There's an outtake reel of this as they're going through a bunch of different lines and it's loving hilarious.

Can't find it for the life of me, though, because youtube's search sucks and every single influencer and creative and other euphemism for parasocial leech has put out their own version of stuff Marver's released.

I didn't find that either but boy there was some great stuff left on the cutting room floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0B-VPiC9IU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tsob posted:

Then when stories started being written down, there was only one version written down because (a) writing was a rare skill and (b) the ink/vellum wasn't exactly cheap either. Which didn't create the concept of "canon", but certainly set a precedent for it. The fact a lot of stories about religions or myths were written down by outsiders with their own biases about the societies they were based on didn't help either.

Nordic legends are particularly bad for this since the only surviving written record we have was written by a Christian monk almost 200 years after his country had converted to Christianity.

Greek stuff too also gets murky since you're talking about written records from competing city states all writing myths about how their patron was the best. It's how you get two war gods and why Athena(Athens) is always depicted in a more positive light than Ares(Sparta) and why Zeus(Olympia) becomes more and more of an unimportant bastard as more tales were written during Olympia's decline.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I'm gonna recommend one of my favorite Youtube channels Overly Sarcastic Productions, who do wonderful videos on mythology and history. Here's there video on our boy Loki (also talks a little about how myths change over time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDwQ3MA2Ne0

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Latest Disney+ newsletter is showing legion in their starz catalog for European customers, I don’t know if it’s the same on the US catalog.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there any indication of when it'll be added, out of interest? It's not showing up in my catalogue in Ireland yet, at the very least.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

Even Mobius points out that nothing he has done is mischievous. Zero.

Also don't forget to post the video of that quote! The delivery is great and I love that those lines --supposedly- weren't scripted, including Tom Hiddleston clearly trying not to laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbq2mYimFrY

I loved Hiddleston turning his laugh onto that little smile of "Ah, those were the good old days..."

One interesting thing I just thought of is that perhaps Loki getting a little toasted in the last episode and doing those songs wasn't part of some carefully orchestrated psych-out master plan. Maybe he just did it out of actual mischief and wanting to have a good time.

XboxPants posted:

I didn't find that either but boy there was some great stuff left on the cutting room floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0B-VPiC9IU

It was too cool/funny/interesting for Disney to allow it into the movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone posted:

It was too cool/funny/interesting for Disney to allow it into the movie.
Aside from pacing and the Disney "Oh no implied sex can't have that" factor, it also has Banner acknowledging his dad.

In the comics Banner's Dad is kind-of a huge deal because Banner's abuse at the hands of said Dad is what got Banner's brain scrambled and ultimately ready for be different types of Hulk, so throwing those decades of lore aside for yet another Waititi-brand joke of bland awkward miscommunication seems pretty unwise from the brand management side of things.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The MCU isn't the comics though, and ignoring the simple fact the Hulk legally cannot have his own movie, the story they were weaving for him across the movies didn't have his father as an important aspect of his character regardless. A story that is probably nearly finished at this point, even ignoring that Professor Hulk in Endgame means Bruce has made some inner peace and that he's unlikely to have any major concerns over his father or deep dive into what those issues were in the future.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

tsob posted:

Is there any indication of when it'll be added, out of interest? It's not showing up in my catalogue in Ireland yet, at the very least.

End of July apparently. No precise date.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Also, Banner was there when his dad died because he killed him after he turned into a lightning bolt or whatever.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Apparently, the post credit scene for WandaVision has been slightly changed and people think it's because they refilmed it for Multiverse of Madness.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

tsob posted:

The MCU isn't the comics though, and ignoring the simple fact the Hulk legally cannot have his own movie, the story they were weaving for him across the movies didn't have his father as an important aspect of his character regardless. A story that is probably nearly finished at this point, even ignoring that Professor Hulk in Endgame means Bruce has made some inner peace and that he's unlikely to have any major concerns over his father or deep dive into what those issues were in the future.

Actually, Marvel owns Hulk again for film rights. Maybe not for the movies, but I could see a Disney+ prequel series that leans into the psychological and body horror.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

live with fruit posted:

Apparently, the post credit scene for WandaVision has been slightly changed and people think it's because they refilmed it for Multiverse of Madness.

It must be very slight because it looked the same to me.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Come on, throw us the sources! I'm curious!

The Modern Leper posted:

Actually, Marvel owns Hulk again for film rights. Maybe not for the movies, but I could see a Disney+ prequel series that leans into the psychological and body horror.

I wouldn'tt mind if they do a Hulk solo D+ show. As long as they have a chance to make the character grow and fill any gaps in the MCU story, I'm all in. The quality of the shows is already on par with the movies, at moments even better (Loki's green screen is amazing in comparison with certain scenes in Thor Ragnarok)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Consummate Professional posted:

It must be very slight because it looked the same to me.

Yeah, I just looked at it side-by-side from D+ and some Youtube upload and they looked identical.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Nordic legends are particularly bad for this since the only surviving written record we have was written by a Christian monk almost 200 years after his country had converted to Christianity.

Greek stuff too also gets murky since you're talking about written records from competing city states all writing myths about how their patron was the best. It's how you get two war gods and why Athena(Athens) is always depicted in a more positive light than Ares(Sparta) and why Zeus(Olympia) becomes more and more of an unimportant bastard as more tales were written during Olympia's decline.

Want to get real brain hosed? In the period before the Bronze Age Collapse, the Myceneans had a thriving trade with the pre-Viking Swedes. That's right, the originators of the ancient Greek myths had cultural exchange with the Nordic back when their religions were primarily Sun/astrologically based. Imagine what stories and ideas got passed back and forth . There is a reason that the later Viking long ship has the same profile as a Mycenaean sea vessel.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from pacing and the Disney "Oh no implied sex can't have that" factor, it also has Banner acknowledging his dad.

I'd assume it mainly got cut since it ties back to the lack of closure Thor had with Odin in the original cut of the film where Hela kills Odin. The reshot opening ends on a more peaceful resolution to the family dynamic with fewer dangling threads.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelStudiosSpoilers/comments/o8vh7i/the_postcredit_scene_in_wandavision_has_been

https://i.imgur.com/N8vxCVD.png

I dunno what I'm supposed to be seeing here.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Looks like this is the actual change that matters:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/o8qocp/wandavision_detail_i_noticed/

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The trees are Mephisto!!!

---

Thor 2 Dark World re-watch:
Music still not that good. I just realized that Ragnarok and Loki went less operatic and bombastic with it and started to use what I think is a nyckelharpa which is an instrument with a very characteristic sound and it's among my favorite, as well the use of the whole retro synth. Loki with the use of the theremin is perfect.
They changed Loki's personality all completely and it was so nice.
Shame that Jane Foster had the damsel in distress role, I hate that.
They try to throw some jokes and make it fun but they quickly go back to be very serious. It kinda throws you a little.
The dark elves masks are a design I still like a lot. Shame about Christopher Eccleston, another wasted talent.
Their ether is probably the most dumb infinity stone and I still dunno what's suppose to do. Blow up things and make people super strong, I guess?

7/10
Won't rewatch again.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 27, 2021

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Well hot drat. I do see that at 45:46 or so coming in from the top left of the screen. It's a lot easier to see passing by the trees at the start.

Very weird.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Can someone actually say what change is?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Soonmot posted:

Can someone actually say what change is?

There's a spooky ghost floating in the trees

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

pik_d posted:

There's a Mephisto floating in the trees

FTFY

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

pik_d posted:

There's a spooky ghost floating in the trees

Isn't it an artifact thingy from the sun flare? Because it looks so funny.

Woooooo there goes the spooky ghost :ghost:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So did I have a stroke, or did they just forget to resolve the whole White Vision thing in Wanda Vision? Didn't he just disappear after having a chat with simulacrum Vision about the ship of Theseus?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

So did I have a stroke, or did they just forget to resolve the whole White Vision thing in Wanda Vision? Didn't he just disappear after having a chat with simulacrum Vision about the ship of Theseus?

There'll probably be a whole show resolving the White Vision thing.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 27, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

He gets Vision's memory download then flies off into the sunset. All he's missing to be reborn as Vision is a mind stone and there's a tv show right now that's setting up the conditions for their reintroduction.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I just binged the first 3 episodes of Loki and I thought it was really good! Hiddleston is excellent, and Wilson doesn't seem out of place in this MCU role like I figured he would.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

FistEnergy posted:

I just binged the first 3 episodes of Loki and I thought it was really good! Hiddleston is excellent, and Wilson doesn't seem out of place in this MCU role like I figured he would.

Owen is a great addition to the franchise and I hope he stays around for a while.

I'm on the middle of rewatching Thor Ragnarok...and..."prime" Loki already had some sort of enchanting powers? I mean, he was able to put a spell on Odin and making him forget who he was, and looked in to Valkyrie's memories. Kinda surprised Variant Loki isn't pulling that on the TVA...but I'm gonna guess the excuse is that "prime" Loki learned that sometime during Thor 2. But because variant TVA Loki didn't even end in Asgardian jail he never had the necessity to learn?

AHH who knows! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
In my recent first watch of The Dark World, Loki showed some of his telekinesis powers when he trashed his cell after learning of the death of his mother. All the discussion about him catching that tower... I mean it was a higher level of TK ability than he'd shown on screen before, but it wasn't a new ability by any means just a more pumped up version of one he was already shown to have.