Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They did say they deliberately designed the minis to be fiddly and expensive to produce.

Also IIRC the scale is way off what most people play with, so it's only collector types who are the target.

Why would you do that? That's just begging for failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kwyndig posted:

The whole kickstarter is like that. Playability? Ease of use? Clear and concise? BAH those are for plebs. Our game is obscure.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
They fell into the trap a lot of game designers fall into, where they thought "more complexity = better gameplay." But that thought process extended into actual usability issues and labor costs for paint & construction (Which doesn't matter if you have a successful Kickstarter, right?! :homebrew:)

If they decide to sell the minis separately from the gameboard, it'd probably be a way better idea to just completely scrap this KS and do a Reaper Bones style campaign with tons of minis. They certainly could just sell these they have done, but trying to estimate the scale of the prototypes in their video, (1:33 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCReC6wu1xs&t=93s) they look a bit too big to be used alongside regular D&D or Warhammer mini's, unless you consider them bosses or something. They'd probably have to go back and get Blizzard's approval all over again though, which might not go as smoothly as the first time.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 28, 2021

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kwyndig posted:

This is the campaign that listed "Hard to tell what is going on" as a positive feature, I think we're well beyond asking why

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I'd say the bigger issue is the $500 minimum to back. There's gaming table companies that have cheaper minimum buy ins. If they had somehow managed to have a $200 or, especially, a $100 base version and then had a bunch of add ons there's a chance this thing could have went the distance. Starting at $500 really limits you to a select group of whales willing to drop half a grand on an untested product.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There was some discussion pages back about what makes a good KS promo.

It's this. Do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLfJo6iw9f0

:allears:

They're also offering this nonsense as addons

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/epic-spell-wars-of-the-battle-wizards-annihilageddon-2

It's so dumb. I love it.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

It's this. Do this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/epic-spell-wars-of-the-battle-wizards-annihilageddon-2

It's so dumb. I love it.

This to me is still Cryptozoic's best series. Load me up on all this dumb poo poo.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I really liked the original Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Battle at Mt. Skullzfire, that's pretty tempting.

NOVA looks pretty cool, anyone have any experience with Lumen as a system?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thegilaboy/nova-2

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 29, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Far Off Games just dropped their trailer for Arydia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvOMibTOz_Y

Looks interesting from the promo. Same designer+company who made Xia
Customisable minis is a cool idea.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Infinitum posted:

Far Off Games just dropped their trailer for Arydia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvOMibTOz_Y

Looks interesting from the promo. Same designer+company who made Xia
Customisable minis is a cool idea.

The ship cargo puzzling was the only good part of Xia. It had good feel, but the gameplay was just so dull and random.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I thought the ship building stuff was cool, and I appreciated how well the "NPCs" were integrated and implemented. But I agree it was otherwise just not terribly exciting to play. I never tried the expansion which was supposed to add more to the experience, though.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silvervinepublishing/floria-the-verdant-way-indie-japanese-trpg-translation

Just 3 days left to get some early discounts and early access to Floria! The campaign's been absolutely incredible so far. I'm excited for people to get a hold of it and start playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p72yzz363E

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

It's this. Do this:

It's so dumb. I love it.

Is this game any good? I'm not really into crude humour but the artwork is slick and I'd want the playmat so it would end up pretty pricey for a card game...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CODChimera posted:

Is this game any good? I'm not really into crude humour but the artwork is slick and I'd want the playmat so it would end up pretty pricey for a card game...

Yeah, Epic Spell Wars is a lot of fun.

The basic gist is that every player is a battle wizard who uses their turn to cast HORRIBLE SPELLS on their enemies by combining cards from their hand. Spells have multiple components (beginners, middle parts and enders) and there's rules on how you can combine different types of components. When you're done, you make fun combinations like MELVYN'S BAFFLING MULTI-DIMENSIONAL MEAT-TORNADO which might do D12 damage to the players on your either side, and force them to discard cards as they get sucked into the meat vortex. Every component has its own rules so you end up with drastically different spells.

Whoever is the last wizard standing wins a point, whoever is the first to n points wins the games. Rounds are very fast and the games get extremely silly very quickly, especially if everyone leans into the overpowered fantasy WMD wizard theme hard.

If you're looking for a very serious euro game, Epic Spell Wars very much isn't that, but then it was probably 100% obvious from the name and art style alone.

E: Oh looks like this is a different game set in the same universe. Boy is my face red, and now I want to know if it's good as well.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 5, 2021

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: Oh looks like this is a different game set in the same universe. Boy is my face red, and now I want to know if it's good as well.

The KS page says it’s compatible with the original, so probably basically the same game with new cards and a new gimmick or three.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

It seems like one of the things they did was to remove the time you spend inactive and not playing the game when your wizard dies, so that’s a good improvement on the original

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I wanna say one of the expansions allowed you to gently caress with the other weeezards when you were dead, but it has been so goddamn long since I have played...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Getsuya posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/silvervinepublishing/floria-the-verdant-way-indie-japanese-trpg-translation

Just 3 days left to get some early discounts and early access to Floria! The campaign's been absolutely incredible so far. I'm excited for people to get a hold of it and start playing.

I have been avidly following the updates, this looks really cool.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

CODChimera posted:

This looks to be a Spell Wars version of the general Cryptozoic Deck Building system, used for various other settings like LOTR, Rick and Morty, Street Fighter, DC Comics, etc.

The twist in this one seems to be more direct attacks against other players rather than just generally buffing your own deck to get the most VP at the end.

Can't speak for how good it is, but I've played the Street Fighter version a few times and generally have fun with it, just don't expect it to be at all balanced.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
IDW’s Ghostbusters & Men in Black crossover board game ‘Ghostbusters x Men In Black: Ecto-Terrestrial Invasion’ is up for preorder on Backerkit. I missed the initial round completely apparently, having heard nothing about it before now. It’s an eye-watering $125, with another $29 for US shipping, but there’s a ton of minis and a fair few preorder exclusive characters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm glad I'm not particularly attached to either franchise because I'd be annoyed at seeing a game about them done in that art style.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Did they ever ship the Batman one?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nope, and they remain insanely cagey about it too. All they'll say is "It's slated to arrive in homes late summer" and "We're sure it will and are already on top of shipping concerns thanks for asking" and stuff. Like, just so much less believable than all the other projects I've backed recently that are saying "Hey there's shipping setbacks obviously and we'll do what we can and keep you up to date on it."

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Games like those are the most fun when they have a large variety of bosses and objectives. 3 bosses just doesn’t strike me as particularly varied especially for a one-shot crowdfunded mini-game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If IDW was still going all-in on their "AUGS" game system that they started with TMNT and Batman TAS before completely pulling the plug AND the Ghostbusters/MIB game was a proper KS campaign with a billion stretch goals and extra minis, maybe I would have given it a look. However, for that price (very little value, mini-wise) and with all the uncertainty surrounding IDW's board game prospects (AKA, they are dropping all development altogether), it's just not worth it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Also I wanted to post this

Hi, it's me the Warcraft fan who is going to buy Pandemic Warcraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FEFspIwUGA

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Infinitum posted:

Hi, it's me the Warcraft fan who is going to buy Pandemic Warcraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FEFspIwUGA

Ok, but Pandemic is a really solid framework that has shown its ability to be reskinned to other genres pretty easily. Anything where you can experience sudden appearances of a threat which can spread along predictable paths if not dealt with works well on the Pandemic system. Even if this isn't your thing, it's at least not a terrible idea given the proven track record of other Pandemic hacks

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah, I know.

Which is why I said I'm going to buy it :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
They should have made it about the corrupted blood people got in Zul'Gurub and spread to the general populace. That was a literal digital pandemic and was even studded by the CDC.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

It's on Gamefound, not kickstarter, but I'm curious if anyone has comments on Wild Assent https://gamefound.com/projects/lazy-squire-games/wild-assent-lavon-rising#/

I'm a sucker for mini games that have decent minis so I'm eyeing this one.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

It's on Gamefound, not kickstarter, but I'm curious if anyone has comments on Wild Assent https://gamefound.com/projects/lazy-squire-games/wild-assent-lavon-rising#/

It looks really uncreative, simplistic, and dull. The camp phase in particular seems like a mess. I'm interested in a take on the monster hunting genre that's not single big boss fights all the time and plays more quickly than the others on the market, but Wild Assent doesn't look like it has anything like the depth or variety that the competition does. And that's including Kingdom Death: Monster, a game where the combat starts out literally just moving a little bit and rolling randomly. Wild Assent does have a bit more going on to start with...the problem is, not much. And it doesn't escalate very much from there, whereas KD:M definitely does. (And I don't even like KD:M really. Much more looking forward to things like Oathsworn: Into the Deepwoods, Aeon Trespass: Odyssey, and Primal: The Awakening.)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kaza42 posted:

Ok, but Pandemic is a really solid framework that has shown its ability to be reskinned to other genres pretty easily. Anything where you can experience sudden appearances of a threat which can spread along predictable paths if not dealt with works well on the Pandemic system. Even if this isn't your thing, it's at least not a terrible idea given the proven track record of other Pandemic hacks

What if pandemic but all the pieces are really tall and everything is matte black?

InternetJunky posted:

The minis look cool, but like the previous poster said the gameplay just doesn’t look that engaging. I was a lot more pumped about their other game, Stormsunder.

Vidmaster fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 7, 2021

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've got a Kickstarter launching in September and the preview link was just approved today, so I figured it would be a good time to make my first post about it here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/the-red-burnoose-algeria-1857

The game is called The Red Burnoose: Algeria 1857. Its designed by Roberta Taylor and myself. In the game you play as a coalition of Kabyle villages in Algeria trying to stave off multiple French armies. The game's primary mechanic is that of a deckbuilder, but it also uses some area control and dice rolling to battle the French. The game is designed to serve as an intro to wargaming for the curious, but also fit for people who just want to play a deckbuilder. We tried to do some interesting things with the game as well. We thought about how we could incorporate feminist principles into wargame design and incorporated that into this game through several of the people who show up in the game. It also comes out in the setting, since the game's main protagonist, Fatma N'Soumer, has been called the Joan of Arc of Algeria before and many women participated in these battles as well. We also wanted to be sure the game was anticolonialist, and as such it is a coop for 1 to 4 players where you can only play as the Kabyles. The French are run by an automa deck.

I hope you'll like the Kickstarter campaign to be notified when it launches. I'm happy to answer questions and will be posting more when we come up on our September launch.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

If IDW was still going all-in on their "AUGS" game system that they started with TMNT and Batman TAS before completely pulling the plug AND the Ghostbusters/MIB game was a proper KS campaign with a billion stretch goals and extra minis, maybe I would have given it a look. However, for that price (very little value, mini-wise) and with all the uncertainty surrounding IDW's board game prospects (AKA, they are dropping all development altogether), it's just not worth it.

Oh, they're not doing any more AUGS games? That's a bit of a blessing and a curse, I already don't have room for the Batman one. :v:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Echophonic posted:

Oh, they're not doing any more AUGS games? That's a bit of a blessing and a curse, I already don't have room for the Batman one. :v:
Yeah, they let the designer go, so the TMNT Mutanimals expansion isn't happening and neither is the 3rd game in the system based on Avatar: The Last Airbender.
They also ended the TMNT comics and are probably getting out of board games.

I just hope I receive the Batman: TAS one in the next few months so I can at least rest easy knowing that it was fulfilled safely. It looks like a real labor of love with a bazillion characters and scenarios.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

We thought about how we could incorporate feminist principles into wargame design and incorporated that into this game through several of the people who show up in the game.

"Not ignoring the contributions of women" is good. What other ideas for incorporating feminist principles into a wargame did you come up with, but reject for this particular game?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Vidmaster posted:

What if pandemic but all the pieces are really tall and everything is matte black?

The minis look cool, but like the previous poster said the gameplay just doesn’t look that engaging. I was a lot more pumped about their other game, Stormsunder.

I went out of my way looking at gameplay vids for Wild Assent looking for reasons to back it as I really enjoy Monster Hunter (the vidya game). I just couldn't talk myself into it, and I'm normally pretty loose with my KS money. I'd give it a pass.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

homullus posted:

"Not ignoring the contributions of women" is good. What other ideas for incorporating feminist principles into a wargame did you come up with, but reject for this particular game?

We also explored intersectionality which made it into the game with the elderly and the young, which are also often ignored in this genre. We didn't want to just have these groups in the game but also demonstrate how they contributed to the conflict which comes out in the actions their cards and pieces can take. In the end it is still a wargame, and I wouldn't say we rejected any particular principles as much as we could only show so much. Particularly as a historical game and we were not willing to add things that were not part of the conflict. Part of the effort with this game was coming off a book chapter I wrote last year in this text:

https://www.routledge.com/Feminist-...k/9781032082424

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

We also explored intersectionality which made it into the game with the elderly and the young, which are also often ignored in this genre. We didn't want to just have these groups in the game but also demonstrate how they contributed to the conflict which comes out in the actions their cards and pieces can take. In the end it is still a wargame, and I wouldn't say we rejected any particular principles as much as we could only show so much. Particularly as a historical game and we were not willing to add things that were not part of the conflict. Part of the effort with this game was coming off a book chapter I wrote last year in this text:

https://www.routledge.com/Feminist-...k/9781032082424

Yeah, good -- I did indeed mean "reject" in the sense of "this isn't right for this topic and this design" rather than a rejection of the principle itself. Extra thanks for the book link, that is very much the kind of thing I like to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Ok Goons, I'm thinking of trying my luck on making my first miniatures cast through kickstarter. This will probably be a project I'll spend the Summer and early Autumn preparing for, and now I'm making a list of things that I need to do before pulling the trigger. I'm looking for advice on things that I might have forgotten.

1) The actual minis

I'm working on the minis. I've given myself a deadline at the end of Summer, and will be able to spend more time on sculpting during vacation. These are my first sculpts that I'm confident in that they are at least on par with stuff that's already out there on the market. My first range is antropomorphic fantasy duck adventurers, a small niche but one I think deserves more minis. I just love the look from my childhood RPGs where they were a playable race, as well as games set in the Glorantha setting (like King of Dragon Pass) https://farflungfigures.wordpress.com/

I would honestly say that I'm happy with 4-5 of my finished sculpts,. I'm aiming at having 10-12 good sculpts for the kickstarter, covering many of the archetypes of RPGs. These are mainly geared towards collectors, RPG players and for small skirmish miniatures games rather than bigger wargames.

2) Stretch goals

I'm planning to do at least a few stretch goals ahead of time. Additional cool stuff like a cart with driver, mounted ducks etc.

3) Production quotes

I have a quote from a caster that can make both metal molds (for the ducks) and resin molds (for any bigger stretch goal). The quotes are very reasonable and after crunching some very basic numbers I'm at least not risking losing much money. We're talking about 300-400 bucks to cover molds, shipping and starting to not just lose money on it. It's not more than I could lose out of my own pocket for a cool experience.

4) Retail plans post-kickstarter

I have a potential reseller in the UK for after the kickstarter, which would help with all this Brexit crap (I'm in the EU, as well as the caster). I might be able to use the caster as a reseller in the EU.

5) Graphics

My web presence needs to be fixed. Currently just using a placeholder wordpress site. I'm thinking of commissioning a non-crap logo (made specifically to also work as a water mark on photos). I'm also thinking of a nice thematic banner-style illustration for the website and kickstarter. I'm a very mediocre 2D artist, so I might try to paint the banner IRL in oils this Summer or commission an art piece if it turns out too crappy. I'm thinking of an illustration of a few of the sculpts, making their way through a dark dungeon or similar.

6) PR

I'm thinking instagram (where I have a different account with a few hundred followers) and Facebook (specifially non-GW miniature gaming groups). Is it worth spending a lot of money actively pushing a kickstarter, when doing something quite niche?

7) Packaging

I haven't discussed the details with the caster yet, so I'm not sure if they have a specific packaging solution. Otherwise I'd love to do something at least nicer than just putting them in ziplock bags. At least printing a small card to put in each pack or something like that.

Looking at this list, I think there's nothing completely impossible on it. Am I missing something obvious that I should care more about than I'm doing right now? Other than I need to really do a proper number crunch on the cost of the minis before setting a price level.