Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ephex posted:

Starvation-as-a-Service

Workinginthefoodserviceindustry.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Mister Facetious posted:

Workinginthefoodserviceindustry.txt
*in the US

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My smart TV was pretty neat in that it had apps for the streaming services I used loaded onto it, and then the TV got too old and the apps self-deleted themselves. And then comcast put all the apps on their cablebox anyways so really the smart tv lost it's niche. I've since unplugged it from the internet and it lets me know on boot periodically that it would like an internet connection and I kindly remind it that it should have asked before deleting the services I use.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
How does one clean they’re teef w that thing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LibCrusher posted:

When your teeth fall out you have to buy replacements.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HootTheOwl posted:

When your teeth fall out you have to buy replacements.

Humies really got it bad.

(Really, I'd buy Ork appliances. Reliable as long as you believe in them, durable, easy to repair)

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My startup idea is a service to jailbreak your teeth.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Are you sure this isn't a screengrab from the newest Saw movie?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I got a smart TV and fortunately never had to connect it to the Internet, and just use in as extra monitor to put videos on a big screen from my PC, and it does a pretty good job of that. It's a Westinghouse Roku one if you're looking for a TV that doesn't harass you or require an Internet connection.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ephex posted:

Startup idea:

This
https://mobile.twitter.com/otago/status/1409330977046945798

but with monthly subscription fee that includes fixed amount of unlocks per month or one time payments too unlock.

A rare miss from the...

Wait, this isn't a satire site? What the everloving gently caress is wrong with people?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/big-techs-car-obsession-is-all-about-taking-eyes-off-the-road/

quote:

Big Tech’s car obsession is all about taking eyes off the road

“Why are tech companies pushing into autonomous driving? Because they can, and because they have to,” said Chris Gerdes, co-director of the Center for Automotive Research at Stanford University. “There are business models that people aren’t aware of.”

What’s at stake, essentially, is something even more valuable than profitability: the last unclaimed corner of consumers’ attention during their waking hours.

The amount of time people spend in cars, especially in the U.S., is significant. Americans were behind the wheel for 307.8 hours in 2016, or around six hours a week, according to the latest available data by AAA.

That’s a fair chunk of someone’s life not spent using apps on an iPhone, searching on Google or scrolling mindlessly through Instagram. Any company that’s able to free up that time in a meaningful way will also have a good chance of capturing it.

“Even for companies like Apple and Google, this is a massive market,” Rajkumar said. “CFOs and CEOs literally drool, since first movers are likely to have a major edge. Each of these companies wants to be the predator, and not become the prey.”

Love to see the industry experts just saying the quiet part loud: the real goal of all things autonomous-car is to create a space where drivers are as distracted as possible (sorry, pedestrians, the algorithm doesn’t recognize “person pushing a baby carriage” so you deserved to die), and to invade a space where people might be paying attention to things that aren’t ads.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ephex posted:

Startup idea:

This
https://mobile.twitter.com/otago/status/1409330977046945798

but with monthly subscription fee that includes fixed amount of unlocks per month or one time payments too unlock.

"The practice of surgically wiring people’s jaws shut became popular in the 1980s, but it came with risks; vomiting brought with it the risk of choking and after 9 to 12 months the patients developed gum disease. In some cases, there were continuing issues with restriction of jaw movement and some developed acute psychiatric conditions."

But they tested it for 2 weeks on selected patients and they all seemed fine. :haw:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I physically removed the WiFi/Bluetooth module from my LG smart TV because of the absolutely insane number and types of issues it caused.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Because of China cracking down on Bitcoin miners (rightfully so) they are moving....

.....to Texas. A state whose power grid could be described as less than adequate for even its current demand

https://twitter.com/notbind/status/1409532427047899139?s=20

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

Because of China cracking down on Bitcoin miners (rightfully so) they are moving....

.....to Texas. A state whose power grid could be described as less than adequate for even its current demand

But... JOBS?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

A rare miss from the...

Wait, this isn't a satire site? What the everloving gently caress is wrong with people?

Big Tech wants to disrupt...

sanity.

It's well known that people make more purchases when they aren't thinking rationally.

what if

that was all the time

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/technology/big-techs-car-obsession-is-all-about-taking-eyes-off-the-road/

Love to see the industry experts just saying the quiet part loud: the real goal of all things autonomous-car is to create a space where drivers are as distracted as possible (sorry, pedestrians, the algorithm doesn’t recognize “person pushing a baby carriage” so you deserved to die), and to invade a space where people might be paying attention to things that aren’t ads.

why dont they just promote higher taxes and local spending on public transite so-hahahahahhdhgasdfhgsdfkhgksdhgfkjsdh

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Space Gopher posted:

Oh god it's the marble economy all over again

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Space Gopher posted:

quote:

What’s at stake, essentially, is something even more valuable than profitability: the last unclaimed corner of consumers’ attention during their waking hours.

And we all know where this is headed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CommieGIR posted:

Excited to see how this plays out when they see how affordable and durable electricity from Texas' power grid is.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's fine, residential areas really should get used to a future of necessary brownouts by essential industries. :wotwot:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And we all know where this is headed.

I'm pretty sure the tobacco companies already managed that, it's been ages since I've smoked cigarettes but I still have the occasional pack of Marlboros when dreaming...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

LibCrusher posted:

You don't have to brush your teeth if you don't eat I guess.

Also, yeah, how long until the self driving cars make us listen to/watch commercials on our center console screen like most gas pumps do now?

Mercury_Storm posted:

looking for a TV that doesn't harass you.

Decent thread title

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, yeah, how long until the self driving cars make us listen to/watch commercials on our center console screen like most gas pumps do now?

They've already got attention-sensing tech to make sure your eyes are on the road, they can repurpose it so the cars will pull over if your eyes aren't watching the screen.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

The Lone Badger posted:

They've already got attention-sensing tech to make sure your eyes are on the road, they can repurpose it so the cars will pull over if your eyes aren't watching the screen.

Holy moly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

DING! "Please watch the ad to continue on the optimal navigation route."

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

i hate that that's probably gonna happen someday, because i really don't want to become a deranged hermit living off the grid and figuring out how to handle chemical toilets or whatever

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Lone Badger posted:

McDonald's!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Staluigi posted:

i hate that that's probably gonna happen someday, because i really don't want to become a deranged hermit living off the grid and figuring out how to handle chemical toilets or whatever

composting toilets are really good. no chemicals needed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
And it's even funnier because monopolizing the attention of people on roads to serve ads has been the point of advertisement on vehicles, billboards, radios, store signs, and god knows what else for hundreds of years. It's not a new idea, and yet here we have morons trying to reinvent the wheel and selling it as a new groundbreaking innovation.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Dirk the Average posted:

trying to reinvent the wheel
i hadn't realized it but car manufacturers are literally trying to reinvent it. we've gone full circle

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sagacity posted:

i hadn't realized it but car manufacturers are literally trying to reinvent it. we've gone full circle

Well, three-quarters and a bit ovoid anyway...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Well, three-quarters and a bit ovoid anyway...

Close enough. Ship it!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

The Lone Badger posted:

New adblock just dropped:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mister Facetious posted:

Big Tech wants to disrupt...

sanity.

It's well known that people make more purchases when they aren't thinking rationally.

what if

that was all the time

Jokerfication but monetized

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Coherent position number 2 for you: many of these "minor conveniences" are in fact more actively annoying than they are convenient, and it sucks that it has become difficult to avoid them. The entirety of the impact on my life from having a smart TV is: it takes longer to turn on, has to update its firmware sometimes, and can show me ads whenever it gets left on the wrong input. None of these things are convenient or positively impact the user experience in any way. They suck and everything it theoretically has to offer (streaming, I guess?) is done better by dedicated devices.

Also if they decide to EOL the smart tv bits, you now have a dumb TV with a bunch of broken crap rather than just a dumb TV.

My old Firestick was getting laggy and rebooting, so I replaced it. It's just hanging there off the TV. If the Smarty bits in the TV die, that's it, no more smarty bits.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Lone Badger posted:

I seem to remember Microsoft having patents involving tracking position and eye motion to figure out what ads people looking at, and speculation that this was the real driver of the xbone originally requiring the Kinect to be connected even when voice control is disabled. I wasn't expecting to find a more odious use for that tech, but I realize that was a lack of imagination on my part.

Dirk the Average posted:

And it's even funnier because monopolizing the attention of people on roads to serve ads has been the point of advertisement on vehicles, billboards, radios, store signs, and god knows what else for hundreds of years. It's not a new idea, and yet here we have morons trying to reinvent the wheel and selling it as a new groundbreaking innovation.

People have stopped listening to the radio and many areas ban billboards. :shrug:

Wonder how many people, if this tech becomes common, will end up rooting their car. And if cars will allow ads to override volume settings or the off switch.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 29, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We bought a brand new Samsung Smart TV, and not only was the SmartTV portion slower than molasses, I noticed it was dumping traffic on my IoT VLAN, lots of advertising and trackers. Not really scary, but very noisy and not ideal.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Excited to see how this plays out when they see how affordable and durable electricity from Texas' power grid is.

So what they will do is optimize their plan to take advantage of the lowest possible consumer prices available at whatever their plan specifies. Thats the thing with the Texas power plan market, you can choose among 300+ different ponzi schemes of power savings, I would think you could write a super restrictive one for certain times a day and piggy back them off each other with a pretty straight forward service switch gear.

Remember, all Bitcoin miners are trying to do is just break even on power to mining op. Everything else is added cost. They deserve Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The Chinese mining farms had the advantage that you can pay for miners and electricity in RMB (which can't easily be used to buy stuff overseas due to China's strict currency controls), and then sell your bit corns for USD that you can do whatever you please with.
So Chinese miners may have been willing to run even at a loss, since the business worked as a form of legal money laundering.
Meanwhile Texas miners have to actually pay for electricity in USD, the same currency that you're selling the buttcoins for, so their business has to basically shut down if electricity prices temporarily rise too high relative to profits.