Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Watching “The Next Phase” right now and I love that Geordi just sticks his cloaked head into a piece of equipment and just goes, “yup, this is totally a phase inverter.” There’s so much that doesn’t make sense in this episode and I love it. Like how can you walk through objects/walls but you don’t fall through the floor?

Oh drat! Geordie just pushes that Romulus dude out into space. Brutal.

Kwatz fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gravitic plating is polyphase DUH

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's a good thing you can still breathe air when you're out of phase even though the walls can't contain you

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, gotta get "how can you see with transparent retinas" in there too!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe they really were ghosts and Geordi was wrong

Datas Dustbuster just brings ghosts back to life?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Something something once air passed into their bodies the residual field particles pushed the air molecules into phase with the rest of their body allowing them to breath. Something something.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HIJK posted:

Garrett Wang and Robert McNeill have a podcast called Delta Flyers where they're talking about Voyager and behind the scenes stuff. Garrett recounts his standard convention stories there so if you have missed him then check it out. There's some cool info about the show. I just started it and its pretty swell :)

Robert McNeill is the only reason Paris was even halfway likable and I think deserves more credit for that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Maybe there was just air in whatever phase they were in!

I'm not sure what... that means exactly.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
middle managers trying to cancel WFH be like

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

They address all the "how is she breathing?" issues in that suspiciously similar episode of Enterprise with Hoshi

It's all a dream. The whole episode is a bloody dream

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Something something once air passed into their bodies the residual field particles pushed the air molecules into phase with the rest of their body allowing them to breath. Something something.

This was actually something I was super happy they caught in the DS9 episode where Bashir and Miles are shrunk and have to go outside the shrunk Runabout to fix stuff. They have to take some shrunken air with them cause normal air molecules are way too big.

Artificial gravity plating should keep Laforge and Ro stuck to the ground just fine, but yeah there's no way they should be going through walls and also breathing normally.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eh, don't let hard sci-fi get in the way of a good story.

Trek is all over the place with scientific accuracy anyway. And at this point, I'm including future history. Where are my loving sanctuary zones?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Q watches the Enterprise all the time and thought it would be more fun if they could breathe instead of just suffocating. He didn't just fix the problem because that would ruin the drama.

In other words: "a wizard did it"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Orthanc6 posted:

This was actually something I was super happy they caught in the DS9 episode where Bashir and Miles are shrunk and have to go outside the shrunk Runabout to fix stuff. They have to take some shrunken air with them cause normal air molecules are way too big.

Artificial gravity plating should keep Laforge and Ro stuck to the ground just fine, but yeah there's no way they should be going through walls and also breathing normally.

There's also the Farscape episode where Sikozu runs through possible ways to shrink someone - subtracting atoms would make your brains useless, shrinking you would leave you unable to breath normal air - and comes to the conclusion that the whole thing is a deranged hallucination.

She promptly gets told to shut the frell up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BonHair posted:

Eh, don't let hard sci-fi get in the way of a good story.

Trek is all over the place with scientific accuracy anyway. And at this point, I'm including future history. Where are my loving sanctuary zones?

The episode takes place in three years, give it time

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's also the Farscape episode where Sikozu runs through possible ways to shrink someone - subtracting atoms would make your brains useless, shrinking you would leave you unable to breath normal air - and comes to the conclusion that the whole thing is a deranged hallucination.

She promptly gets told to shut the frell up.

Asimov's novelization of Fantastic Voyage goes over a lot of the same details and adds a lot of science that the movie glosses over, like the nature of the shrinking effect (similar to the DS9 method, making everything in the ship proportionately lesser) and the fact that everything the crew sees has an ethereal sparkling effect to it, because they're using shrunken light sources so even the photons are smaller.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Haven't watched it since it aired, but I remember a distinct feeling when it was over of 'what was the point?'

Yeah, that's about right. Kind of a few of these episodes in season 4 and 5, weird plots that end up technically not happening or mattering. Saw one last night playing a game that I kept thinknig was a random old doctor who episode, I've seen it before but couldn't for the life of me remember or focus enough to know why they hell tom paris episodes exist, let alone that one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Asimov's novelization of Fantastic Voyage goes over a lot of the same details and adds a lot of science that the movie glosses over, like the nature of the shrinking effect (similar to the DS9 method, making everything in the ship proportionately lesser) and the fact that everything the crew sees has an ethereal sparkling effect to it, because they're using shrunken light sources so even the photons are smaller.

Shrinking photons? I'd like to say Asimov knew better than that, but then again, the theories of light propagation in the 1960s were a freakin' mess.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ezri would of been a better character introduced in Season 5 or 6. Naive young Starfleet officer that gets 500 years of experience is overwhelmed by her personalities trying to cope with that would of been a better slow build than the rush we got. Nicole De Boer did a great job though.

It would have been interesting to begin Season 1 with Curzon as a main cast member, and then at some point kill him off and bring in Jadzia as his replacement.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zaroff posted:

It would have been interesting to begin Season 1 with Curzon as a main cast member, and then at some point kill him off and bring in Jadzia as his replacement.

That would make sense, too - have an experienced Federation diplomat there to handle interactions with the Bajoran provisional government, and the Cardassians. Have Sisko be forced to step up into that role in addition to commanding the station when Curzon's health starts to fail.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've said it before, but Dax was always just a little too high-concept for a mainstream '90s show and probably was never going to totally work; it's amazing she worked as well as she did. Back then, if you didn't have the whole main cast of characters set in stone by the end of the premiere it was like, blasphemy or something. That's one thing they would've had more freedom to explore in a more modern "prestige" show. (But it probably also would've fallen into a lot of negative tendencies.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sir Lemming posted:

I've said it before, but Dax was always just a little too high-concept for a mainstream '90s show and probably was never going to totally work; it's amazing she worked as well as she did. Back then, if you didn't have the whole main cast of characters set in stone by the end of the premiere it was like, blasphemy or something. That's one thing they would've had more freedom to explore in a more modern "prestige" show. (But it probably also would've fallen into a lot of negative tendencies.)
The added problem is that the producers didn't know what they wanted to do with the character early on

It probably doesn't help that in the first S1 episode that is explicitly about her, 'Dax', she barely has any dialog for most of the episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I believe the producers are on record as saying they wanted her to be a very zen-like figure at first who dispenses age old wisdom to Sisko. Problem is, that’s kinda boring as poo poo and didn’t play to Farrell’s strengths. Party girl Jadzia who likes to hang with old Klingon dudes was a much better character.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I believe the producers are on record as saying they wanted her to be a very zen-like figure at first who dispenses age old wisdom to Sisko. Problem is, that’s kinda boring as poo poo and didn’t play to Farrell’s strengths. Party girl Jadzia who likes to hang with old Klingon dudes was a much better character.

Should of made Rom the science officer and Jadzia a bartender at Quark's that mixes cocktails from all her various lifetimes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Finishing recaps of VOY S3 and moving on to S4

Real Life- The Doctor is experimenting with having a holographic family, which B'Elanna takes the opportunity to poo poo on because she came from a broken home. The Doctor's holo-wife is played by Wendy Schaal, who I immediately recognized as the voice of Francine Smith from American Dad. Overall the episode is fine, but you just have to love that B'Elanna absolutely cannot tolerate the idea of a 'perfect' family and has to poo poo all over The Doctor's program, even though he has had very few relationships of any kind up to this point. She just insists on throwing him into the fire immediately with a rebellious son and a daughter who ends up dying tragically.

Distant Origin- This was always one of my favorite Voyager episodes from years back and it still holds up. I appreciated that the episode's protagonist was actually a guest alien and not a Voyager crewmember. Chakotay is heavily involved in the plot, but ultimately this is the alien scientist's episode. While I wish that we had seen the Voth again after this, I feel like it probably would have probably would have taken some of the sting out of the ending. Definitely a top-tier Voyager episode.

Scorpion Pts 1/2- Another of my favorites. The Borg show up in a very strong way here, after being teased a bit in a couple of earlier episodes. The main thing that makes this two-parter work for me is the fact that they actually have a major conflict between Janeway and Chakotay, something that so rarely happens on the show. But it's done in the kind of way that makes both characters have a valid argument, even if ultimately Janeway wins out. Species 8472 is also presented as a major new unique threat, but unfortunately the show doesn't follow up on them much beyond two episodes, before they just kind of disappear. Obviously this marks a major change in the status quo, with Seven of Nine joining the cast.

The Gift- The one where Kes gets written off of the show and we start to have Seven reclaiming her humanity somewhat. You can really feel in this episode how much the show wasted Kes up until now, because she goes back to having similar abilities like she did in the S2 episode 'Suspiria', but which had been mostly ignored until they had to find a way to write her off. Kes never really worked for me, mainly because the writers could never get a handle on what to do with her beyond 'Neelix's girlfriend'. She has a couple of episodes here and there, but they rarely amount to anything and especially as you get more episodes revolving around the other crewmembers, she just fades more and more into the background. It's probably for the best that she got written off, because the writers just had way more interest in writing for Seven and she ends up being one of the best characters on the show moving forward.

Day of Honor-A B'Elanna episode, where she finally gets around to telling her true feelings to Tom, albeit in a situation where she thought she was going to die. The main plot revolves around aliens who had their homeworld destroyed by the Borg and are basically just wandering refugees struggling to survive. I was not super thrilled with the turn late in the episode where they are going to basically steal Voyager's warp core and take all of Voyager's supplies despite the crew helping them out earlier. This is only saved by the deus ex machina of Seven knowing how to build a device that will allow the aliens' ships to have basically unlimited power. Luckily she was onboard or Voyager was basically going to go out in a random fight with some random aliens.

Nemesis- I just want to say that whoever decided that the main aliens who Chakotay works with in this episode should speak in weird copy/paste thesaurus language should be fired. It's just extremely awkward language that takes me out of the whole episode. You can also see the twist of the episode coming a mile away. The episode tries very very hard to get you to identify with the first aliens so that they can pull the rug out from under you at the end, but it's very obvious it's coming. Definitely a weaker episode that I didn't even remember.

Revulsion- This episode continues the ongoing theme of sentient holograms that appear often throughout the remainder of the series. I did think that showing the guest character hologram dragging bodies through his ship in the cold open kind of takes some of the mystery out of the episode, as it's way less surprising at the end of the episode where he goes full psycho and tries to kill B'Elanna. It's a good guest role by Leland Orser, who had appeared in two DS9 episodes before this, and later has a guest role on Enterprise. The B plot involves Kim working with Seven on the astrometrics lab, only to awkwardly hit on her and have her get confused. There's an infamous scene near the end where Seven is basically like 'you want to gently caress?' and Kim is basically speechless. Apparently Jeri Ryan didn't like this episode because Seven cracks a joke about midway through and she felt like the character was not at the point in restoring her humanity that she would be doing that, which is fair.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bullbar posted:

Oh hell yeah William Sadler
Just be sure not to offend him by overlooking his butt. He works out all the time. And reaping burns a lot of calories.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Sir Lemming posted:

Back then, if you didn't have the whole main cast of characters set in stone by the end of the premiere it was like, blasphemy or something.

Rene Auberjonois was apparently very worried when they actually revealed Odo's origins that it meant they were preparing to write him off the show. It's hard to remember just how much TV used to avoid having any sort of character development or changes.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

LividLiquid posted:

Just be sure not to offend him by overlooking his butt. He works out all the time. And reaping burns a lot of calories.

The scene where Sloan was doing nude kata in his quarters was weird

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I think one small tweak to her would of been this ideal starfleet officer in terms of cultures. She loves to learn and participate in other cultures and doesn't have quite the same rigidness of Sisko or Worf in terms of orthodoxy.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Sir Lemming posted:

A modern prestige Star Trek show about a joined Trill that works as a trouble shooter for Starfleet and gets sent to all the wierdest situations in the Galaxy would be a cool idea but you could still run into the problem of all the interesting things about the Trill being thier past lives and not the character on screen each episode. And if you are going to have your protagonist be able to draw on a bunch of different expericnes then just have a crew with varied backgrounds.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Truly excited to watch Profit and Lace, which I've seen as one of the worst DS9 episodes on several lists. Season six has been pretty phenomenal overall

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Just finished my first watch of the entirety of Star Trek Enterprise. Actually really enjoyed it overall, I think it's underrated but holy poo poo is it post 9/11 as hell. It's a shame that they only made 4 seasons and I'm annoyed that they killed Trip in the final episode for no good reason. He was my favorite character :argh:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Just finished my first watch of the entirety of Star Trek Enterprise. Actually really enjoyed it overall, I think it's underrated but holy poo poo is it post 9/11 as hell. It's a shame that they only made 4 seasons and I'm annoyed that they killed Trip in the final episode for no good reason. He was my favorite character :argh:

He was mine too but the books immediately retcon his death as faked so he could do Section 31 things in the lead up to the Romulan War.

I really want LDS to offhandedly make that canon.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

HD DAD posted:

He was mine too but the books immediately retcon his death as faked so he could do Section 31 things in the lead up to the Romulan War.

I can imagine it was due to the fan reaction to the finale episode. At least it sounds like everyone thought it sucked and did Trip dirty so I'm not alone there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Even Berman and Braga came out later and said it sucked and apologized for it. I just pretend it doesn’t exist. Terra Prime was a perfectly solid series finale.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

HD DAD posted:

They should put him at the bar with like one line of dialogue from Connor Trinneer ordering a beer or something, don't even explain why, just leave it there and let us watch the chaos it causes on Memory Alpha

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I could totally see Mariner getting involved in Section 31's spy stuff but then getting somehow offended by their poo poo and ruining a bunch of it.

Like she's all about bending Starfleet rules and regulations, and thinks they have some kind of grand scale failure to live up to their values, but also there's some kind of general dislike and discomfort for all authority in there and probably also some genuine ADHD? Seems complicated.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Imagine if River had joined the q continuum. “Computer? Weed - dank!”

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SlothfulCobra posted:

I could totally see Mariner getting involved in Section 31's spy stuff but then getting somehow offended by their poo poo and ruining a bunch of it.

Like she's all about bending Starfleet rules and regulations, and thinks they have some kind of grand scale failure to live up to their values, but also there's some kind of general dislike and discomfort for all authority in there and probably also some genuine ADHD? Seems complicated.

Seems... human.

But yeah, it's specifically ADHD plus Oppositional Defiance Disorder imo, which is a very common combination because ODD is often a by-product of what happens when ADHD people have to cope with particularly controlling parents. Which Mariner does seem to have, in her mom.

Bullbar posted:

The scene where Sloan was doing nude kata in his quarters was weird

Only because you missed the part where he open-palm slams the VHS tape into the machine and does the movements along with it, right after he rolls out of bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Section 31 is so secretive, it doesn't want people to know it even exists. That must put a lot of constraints on what it can do. It should affect how it can acquire funding, what assets it can use, what actions it can take, what authority it can assert. The existence of the Tal'Shiar and Obsidian Order are open knowledge, which means they can operate starships and they can assert their authority over people.