Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
loving idiots but idk if you can expect any better from Germans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

indigi posted:

loving idiots but idk if you can expect any better from Germans

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

euphronius posted:

I wasn’t aware the Czar literally banned vodka in 1916.

that’s incredibly stupid

(from the recent mike Duncan episode).

it made me the that a lot of the conditions for revolution in 1916 ish are not present here in America at all. yet

some of the reasons Duncan listed iirc

- inflation and scarcity
- food problems with peasants just keeping grain rather than selling it
- women sitting and talking in bread lines 40 hours a week
- nationalist fervor against the czarina
- HE LITERALLY BANNED VODKA
- I may be forgetting some

duncan is citing people like richard pipes and orlando figes as his primary sources (he described figes as the best work on the revolution) which makes me extremely leery of what that podcast is gonna turn into once the bolsheviks really start winning. kudos to all the geniuses claiming covering all those revolutions radicalized him away from liberalism

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
make the stalinst professor a C-Spam mod

or admin

or site owner

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mcclay posted:

or admin

or site owner

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He sounds cool lol. Want to have a beer and a smoke with him.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Prince Myshkin posted:

Bitter Winter is the blog of the founder of Eastern Lightning, a Christian fundamentalist cult responsible for at least one murder.

Certain people make a lot of hay about how oppressive the Chinese government is when they ban religions like this, but the banned religions in question are almost all either esoteric nazis (falun gong) or Christian fascists like Eastern Lightning. Looking at the wiki page, it's convenient how every criminal incident involving Eastern Lightning actually has nothing to do with them, and yet they keep attracting mentally ill people into the sect and scrambling their brains with their occultist mumbo jumbo.

This is a group that actively targets grown adults and encourages them to abandon their families so they can live in community under the cult, and follow the dictates of a woman they claim is the reincarnation of Jesus.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://twitter.com/chiweethegod/status/1409770063494750208

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clearly I'm slacking on building my epic Twitter brand.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

mcclay posted:

or admin

or site owner

Anyone that posts that hard deserves our respect

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

mila kunis posted:

duncan is citing people like richard pipes and orlando figes as his primary sources (he described figes as the best work on the revolution) which makes me extremely leery of what that podcast is gonna turn into once the bolsheviks really start winning. kudos to all the geniuses claiming covering all those revolutions radicalized him away from liberalism

lol this is exactly what I expected would happen. I bailed on his podcast when he was uncritically repeating de Tocqueville's analysis of the French Revolution (that if there hadn't been a revolution the changes would have happened anyway without violence). the episode where he reverently read out the US Bill of Rights in its entirety didn't bode well either

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Richard "laying" Pipes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Charity Spring posted:

he was uncritically repeating de Tocqueville's analysis of the French Revolution (that if there hadn't been a revolution the changes would have happened anyway without violence)

Did anybody tell the 1848 revolutionaries about this?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lol this is exactly what I expected would happen. I bailed on his podcast when he was uncritically repeating de Tocqueville's analysis of the French Revolution (that if there hadn't been a revolution the changes would have happened anyway without violence). the episode where he reverently read out the US Bill of Rights in its entirety didn't bode well either

I liked how he laid out that the French king was encouraging war with Austria in the hope that France would lose and also how he wasn't a bad man when they lobbed his head off.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

The weirdest thing was when he tweeted an article about "what's currently going on in Russia" which uncritically echoed the U.S. narrative about Navalny

I still like Duncan and think he's just a victim of academia

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

his podcasts are good but you absolutely have to pay 100% attention to everything he says or you’ll miss some tiny detail that’ll make everything that comes next extremely confusing.

for revolutions i’ve only listened to the english civil war one so far and holy poo poo was it a pain to keep track of all the increasingly silly parliamentary factions continually drafting stupid documents with names like “the most admirable bill of noble and justly gain’d attainment” or “the revered declaration of sacred arrears in blissful perpetuity”.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

his podcasts are good but you absolutely have to pay 100% attention to everything he says or you’ll miss some tiny detail that’ll make everything that comes next extremely confusing.

for revolutions i’ve only listened to the english civil war one so far and holy poo poo was it a pain to keep track of all the increasingly silly parliamentary factions continually drafting stupid documents with names like “the most admirable bill of noble and justly gain’d attainment” or “the revered declaration of sacred arrears in blissful perpetuity”.

I think the correct way to pay attention to the English Civil War is "don't".

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The wrong side won and the wrong side lost, that's all I need to know.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The English Civil War and America War of Independence series are just school history books on tape really. The French one is when some historical materialist analysis starts getting added and it gets good.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

history of rome was pretty good from what I can remember but was definitely made more confusing by the fact that the romans had like a total of five different first names among them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Post this in the QCS thread about GBS if you want to be cool

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

god this takes me back

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mila kunis posted:

yeah we will see. that’s definitely something to think about. he hasn’t seemed particularly liberal in the Russian series but what you say is true.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

:chanpop:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
please for the love of my sanity stop listening to history podcasts by lay morons and pick something from this list that says it’s made by actual academics

https://networks.h-net.org/node/84048/pages/102491/academic-podcast-roundup

e: oh ffs Duncan doesn’t even have a goddamn BA in history aaaaaaaaaa

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

please for the love of my sanity stop listening to history podcasts by lay morons and pick something from this list that says it’s made by actual academics

lol and also thanks

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I was looking for something about Byzantium. Thanks.
Edit: lol though:

""Academic Podcast Roundup | H-Podcast | H-Net" posted:

The History of Rome - A now completed 179-episode series tracing the history of Rome from start to finish, hosted by podcaster Mike Duncan.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
e. nvm, topic is several pages old

Deified Data has issued a correction as of 15:31 on Jun 29, 2021

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i have a BA in history i will make a podcaste

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i remember duncan joking about how hes gonna have to make a podcast about BLM summer :allears:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i remember duncan joking about how hes gonna have to make a podcast about BLM summer :allears:

hey the 1832 uprising got an episode at least

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Richard "laying" Pipes

his son sucks even harder. runs in the family

I like Richard’s book on Russia under the old regime when I read it because it was fun, but it’s been a long time so I don’t remember how much of it was some kind of hosed up propaganda

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lol the Byzantine guy sounds extremely lib. "We identify with the common man" (about Americans). "I believe history is the story of individuals" goes on to quote a US president.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

genericnick posted:

Lol the Byzantine guy sounds extremely lib. "We identify with the common man" (about Americans). "I believe history is the story of individuals" goes on to quote a US president.

lmao his bio on Wikipedia rules

Lars Mehrling Brownworth (born c. 1975) is an author and former United States history, political science and study hall teacher at The Stony Brook School in Stony Brook on Long Island, New York, who created the top 50 podcast, 12 Byzantine Rulers: The History of the Byzantine Empire. This podcast was created on a whim by Lars and his brother, Anders Brownworth. Often mistaken for a college professor, Lars was, in fact, a high school history instructor at the time the podcast was produced.

…. He used to serve as the chair of the history department at Washington Christian Academy in Olney, Maryland.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

First two minutes of the actual podcast and he brings up the great "peaceful transition" in America. Can't do it, sorry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

thanks for the list . in our time is especially good.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

genericnick posted:

I think the correct way to pay attention to the English Civil War is "don't".

even the English have forced themselves to forget about the English Civil War Wars of the Three Kingdoms British Civil Wars(?).

The conflicts don't even have a good collective name. The best name just rips of Chinese history.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

thanks for the list . in our time is especially good.

I love listening to In Our Time and yelling at the conservative British academics. Its really easy to find episodes where the French Revolution is referred to as a horrific event, and how great it is that the UK avoided a revolution and succeeded with gradual reforms.

In the past few years they've tried to expand their guest list to have some more perspectives. I still would recommend it, because in general it gives you an idea of some of the different academic disputes on certain topics. Also the science episodes tend to be good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I can’t deal with listening to English people speak at length anymore, idk why but I’ve developed some sort of revulsion to their accents