Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

There's a Venn diagram of Jerry Sadowitz fans and Utterly Irredeemable Cunts which is basically a circle.

I think there's an important distinction between "People who like Jerry Sadowitz" and "Jerry Sadowitz fans" here. The dividing line for me is if the latter will try and quote his stuff - anyone attempting to do this (including Jimmy Carr who rips off *at least* 3 jokes from him each time there's a new show) is definitely an utter oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sadowitz is great but as with so many people skirting that line, the worst thing about him is the fans who think he is to be emulated.

Julio Cruz posted:

I went to a Simon Amstell gig when I was at uni and he put a lot more effort into trying to pick up students in the pub afterwards than he did into performing
It depends when that was, but that's something he goes into in the show. He was clearly a deeply, deeply unhappy person after Buzzcocks, and then did a tremendous amount of drugs, then had a breakdown, and the show kind of revolves around this balancing act of 'Man I was such a piece of poo poo, and having realised that I have no idea who this is standing before you now.' He definitely comes across as more vulnerable and at peace versus the chaos of his past. It's an interesting show anyway.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 29, 2021

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I don't know wtf that cartoon is, but imo Ayoade needs to be in the oval office column because he does adverts for HSBC.

E: and not just voice overs, he's actually on screen.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Stewart Lee (the liberal melt) does a good bit on that, i think it's a comedy vehicle episode. He's happy to do controversial/edgy material in a club because the audience in his head are all intellectual liberal Londoners who are in on the joke. Once it's on DVD or broadcast, any horrible prick can be laughing along. It risks falling into the Al Murray Pub Landlord trap where the bulk of the audience don't get that the performer is supposed to be satirising a typical English middle aged bigot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

I think it was a Shappi Khorsandi bit about her schooldays that ended with 'and then the boys would try to finger you behind the bikeshed'. The sheer wave of 'what is the correct way to react to that' awkwardness that washed over the tv audience (and me at home) was palpable.

My most controversial comedy opinion is that way too many woman standups fall back on the "Teehee I have a vagina" schtick. Some can do it really well, mainly by being really aggressively transgressive with it - Jo Brand of course made her career on it, Hattie Hayridge similarly but with that slightly spacey/ditzy persona that always left you slightly confused about what she'd actually said, but others really do lean way too hard into "Oh I said a wude word", and it's just so loving tedious.

I suppose it's understandable because it *does* work, but it just leaves a really narrow lane that women can actually work in and makes it all the harder for the ones who don't want to do 15 minutes on the subject of their nether regions.

(Of course the actual problem there is standup audiences, who are craven morons who should all be melted down for whatever nutrients they may contain)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I saw Frankie Boyle in the dundee rep around 2003 or 2004 and he was hilarious.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i like that michael mcintyre there, with his hair, there

he says things like, aaaghghahgh going on holidays aghahhgh packing my suitcase, i have so many things to pack, sometimes i forget very important things when i pack my suitcase for my holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! agahghh!!! then he flips that his hair there :newlol: great stuff

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I saw Frankie Boyle in the dundee rep around 2003 or 2004 and he was hilarious.

He was great back then if a little edgy, but unlike someone like Chris Morris he either doesn't know or doesn't care about the cultural impact of his comedy especially if doing so might put his nice BBC gig at risk. He was perfectly happy to take cheap and completely unfair shots at Corbyn and Labour (ha ha they hate the jews don't they they're big racists lol how funny) that he obviously knew were bullshit, then defend himself really weakly with the 'it's just a joke lol chill out it's only bants, making you mad was the whole point!!!'. Whether or not he ever reflected on the harm he was doing by normalising that kind of perspective, :shrug:, but it really made me lose a lot of respect for him because his takes are generally very good and very left of centre by mainstream UK comedy standards.

Even when he was really funny he was terrible for recycling material though.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Dylan Moran and Reggie Hunter were both great when I saw them

Reggie in particular spent a lot of time on social issues and also did what could have been a massively offensive joke but with such care and commentary that it was thought provoking as well as incredibly funny

Dylan was just generally funny as gently caress, and at multiple points has taken swings at glinner

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

There's a Venn diagram of Jerry Sadowitz fans and Utterly Irredeemable Cunts which is basically a circle.

This isn't how Venn diagrams work.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

DesperateDan posted:

Reggie in particular spent a lot of time on social issues and also did what could have been a massively offensive joke but with such care and commentary that it was thought provoking as well as incredibly funny

Dylan was just generally funny as gently caress, and at multiple points has taken swings at glinner

I often wonder whether Linehan was always this much of a weirdo because he worked with some very talented and cool people in the past, and I can't imagine someone like Moran putting up with that poo poo on the set of Black Books. Did he just fall down the rabbit hole later on by pure chance? He's a properly tragic character, all he needed to do was enjoy his retirement in peace and quiet and he'd be remembered as that nice bloke who made beloved sitcom Father Ted. But no, he's ruined his marriage and imploded his legacy to become a weirdo transphobe for some reason. Bizarre. The angry TERFs on Mumsnet aren't going to sleep with you Graham.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that miranda as well, she's dead posh, like, and she falls on her hoop all the time :newlol: timeless comedy

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

he says things like, aaaghghahgh going on holidays aghahhgh packing my suitcase, i have so many things to pack, sometimes i forget very important things when i pack my suitcase for my holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! agahghh!!! then he flips that his hair there :newlol: great stuff
relatable content, like teasing his celebrity friends and going to waitrose

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I thought the playing cards one was true :(

That's an extra funny one given playing card suits have changed a fair bit over the centuries, see the swords, cups, coins and staves of a full tarot deck.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

McIntyre is amazing for his ability to perfectly replicate the texture of a joke without actually having any comedic content. Like you'd think even by accident he'd occasionally settle on a funny line but nope, just the most mundane possible observations but delivered with utter conviction and volume and the *rhythm* of a joke, and people just laugh out of operant conditioning. I think he might have actually escaped from a CIA psychological research programme.

DesperateDan posted:

Dylan Moran genuinely might be the best standup I've ever seen live. Just the completely offhand way he throws out absolutely amazing lines, it's almost showing off. I've not actually seen Reginald D Hunter live, but his stuff on telly and Youtube always seems really well thought out (and deliberately engineered to make middle class white people like me very slightly uncomfortable, which we definitely need more of).

ThomasPaine posted:

He was great back then if a little edgy, but unlike someone like Chris Morris he either doesn't know or doesn't care about the cultural impact of his comedy especially if doing so might put his nice BBC gig at risk. He was perfectly happy to take cheap and completely unfair shots at Corbyn and Labour (ha ha they hate the jews don't they they're big racists lol how funny) that he obviously knew were bullshit, then defend himself really weakly with the 'it's just a joke lol chill out it's only bants, making you mad was the whole point!!!'. Whether or not he ever reflected on the harm he was doing by normalising that kind of perspective, :shrug:, but it really made me lose a lot of respect for him because his takes are generally very good and very left of centre by mainstream UK comedy standards.

Even when he was really funny he was terrible for recycling material though.

See for me this is a bit like the woman who went to see his show, and laughed uproariously at his bit about Jordan and her son, then stormed out and called The Sun to complain when he had a go at her son who has Down's Syndrome. You have to accept either everything is up for ridicule or nothing, and if a joke on one subject happens to offend you to the point of hating him you have to at least examine what stuff of his you laughed at in the past. Not a direct pop at you - everyone has lines that they believe can't be crossed - but like I say, it's worth at least having some awareness of it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

This is a separate episode in which they sing a song to their slum landlord in which they indicate he is the best,
Richard Ayoade voices Onion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWUar1yyOc

I've literally never heard of this show until today, but it appears to be American, which suggests that Falafel is a building superintendent, not a landlord. He's an employee, or possibly someone with lower rent, who's job is to fix problems in the building.

Also, seems a bit harsh to tar Ayoade with this anyway. It's just a voiceover job, it's not like he wrote it. I doubt he was enthusiastically signing on to promote landlordism when he agreed to do a voice for a whimsical cartoon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I often wonder whether Linehan was always this much of a weirdo because he worked with some very talented and cool people in the past, and I can't imagine someone like Moran putting up with that poo poo on the set of Black Books. Did he just fall down the rabbit hole later on by pure chance? He's a properly tragic character, all he needed to do was enjoy his retirement in peace and quiet and he'd be remembered as that nice bloke who made beloved sitcom Father Ted. But no, he's ruined his marriage and imploded his legacy to become a weirdo transphobe for some reason. Bizarre. The angry TERFs on Mumsnet aren't going to sleep with you Graham.

Every single person involved in comedy is deeply weird in at least one way, and the TERFery came much later. However I think there's definitely a lot of untold stories about why Arthur Matthews won't work with him ever again, and why and how he was shuffled out between S1 and S2 of Black Books (with Matthews quietly bought in for a few episodes afterwards, too).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've literally never heard of this show until today, but it appears to be American, which suggests that Falafel is a building superintendent, not a landlord. He's an employee, or possibly someone with lower rent, who's job is to fix problems in the building.

Also, seems a bit harsh to tar Ayoade with this anyway. It's just a voiceover job, it's not like he wrote it. I doubt he was enthusiastically signing on to promote landlordism when he agreed to do a voice for a whimsical cartoon.

i've never watched it, but from wiki:

wiki posted:

Falafel (voiced by Sayed Badreya) – Apple and Onion's Egyptian landlord, who lets them stay in the shack on top of his building. The show's plot often revolves around Falafel overworking, or dealing with financial problems. Has a pet rooster named Ferekh for companionship.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No he’s a landlord, Apple and onion are the rent collectors.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Black books is the least funny comedy channel 4 produced. I'm not even sure it's a comedy, it's just miserable.

I love almost everything else Big Talk Productions made to.

Side note : Shaun of the Dead only has a 76 on metacritic. What's that all about

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

DesperateDan posted:

I saw Reggie years and years ago and it was absolutely dire and it was such a bummer - I really think he was just in a poo poo place at the time as there just wasn't much funny, he was just rambling and ranting about poo poo that's gone wrong. it was a very strange show.

With Ayoade isn't Lozza some relation to him through marriage?

learnincurve posted:

No he’s a landlord, Apple and onion are the rent collectors.

JFC

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He's married to Fox's sister.

ThomasPaine posted:

I often wonder whether Linehan was always this much of a weirdo because he worked with some very talented and cool people in the past, and I can't imagine someone like Moran putting up with that poo poo on the set of Black Books.
Limmy talked about going to his dinner party and why he thinks he's a oval office, but I can't find the clip, I've posted it in a UKMT thread before.

Basically he was invited (i think) after being on IT crowd as the window cleaner, and he was feeling a bit awkward because Linehan was treating the party as this big networking / meeting of minds thing. They were talking about DRM in games at one point, and Limmy basically disagreed and said creators had the right to be paid. The way Limmy tells it is that Linehan turned to him, snorted derisively, and said something like "oh, so you think [bad DRM system] is fine then?'

Limmy just disengaged after that, said when talking about it 'Don't invite someone to a dinner and then be a oval office about it when they disagree.'

Sadly it wasn't a charity do. Then there was some weird bullshit around someone liking a post on twitter that set off a falling out with his wife, and he just stopped replying to him. A few months later when Linehan's profile was going down the toilet, he contacted Limmy trying to be all pally but he ignored him.

Disclaimer - my memory is poo poo at the moment and I can't find the clip so this is not 100%. I think it was from when he was playing Euro Truck Simulator on twitch.

E: think it's this clip and he's playing dark souls ffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LZr4-4vI8

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 29, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it just leaves a really narrow lane that women can actually work in and makes it all the harder
I see what you did there.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's an extra funny one given playing card suits have changed a fair bit over the centuries, see the swords, cups, coins and staves of a full tarot deck.
They were originally all Chinese weren't they (like football).

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, it seems that way. Landlords fixing something within the day for no charge is less realistic than a talking apple and onion living in a building with an assigned manager.

That just made me think of The PJs, which I remember fondly and can't wait for that to be ruined by someone telling me that Eddie Murphy personally demanded the addition of a bunch of anti-Asian jokes or something.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Black books is the least funny comedy channel 4 produced. I'm not even sure it's a comedy, it's just miserable.

I love almost everything else Big Talk Productions made to.

Side note : Shaun of the Dead only has a 76 on metacritic. What's that all about

Have to disagree. Black books is one of the very few comedies I have ever been able to sit through all the way. I think it helps that the characters are more like cartoons than real people so the cringe never really has a chance to settle in.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See for me this is a bit like the woman who went to see his show, and laughed uproariously at his bit about Jordan and her son, then stormed out and called The Sun to complain when he had a go at her son who has Down's Syndrome. You have to accept either everything is up for ridicule or nothing, and if a joke on one subject happens to offend you to the point of hating him you have to at least examine what stuff of his you laughed at in the past. Not a direct pop at you - everyone has lines that they believe can't be crossed - but like I say, it's worth at least having some awareness of it.

I've mentioned this before but the difference for me is that his jokes about labour were just lazy and based on a mainstream narrative that was completely invented to portray the party and Corbyn particularly as something they absolutely were not. If they'd been in government, ok, maybe you have more wiggle room, but they were already being hammered in the media and you must know that you're doing the state's dirty work by repeating that kind of stuff thoughtlessly.

I don't have a problem with people making jokes about the left, christ there's enough material, I'd just rather they were based on our actual shortcomings, not the political propaganda of our opponents.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

wtf

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

I don't know wtf that cartoon is, but imo Ayoade needs to be in the oval office column because he does adverts for HSBC.

E: and not just voice overs, he's actually on screen.

On the other hand, he is Lawrence 'Loser' Fox's brother-in-law and refused to support him online.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hey lads I only watched it once like 10 years ago and hearing the name Dylan Moran was enough to bring back memories of a tv show I haven't seen in a decade it just didn't give me belly laughs

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
We saw Reginald D Hunter last week at Brighton Fringe and I was a bit surprised about how painfully unfunny he was and he did a it about cancelled words and how actually they are acceptable because he is just old, and actually Woody Allan isn't that bad because look at Brigitte Macron. I know stand up is meant to sometimes shock but stanning for alleged paedophiles is a bit much.

Jen Brister was however excellent.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

On the other hand, he is Lawrence 'Loser' Fox's brother-in-law and refused to support him online.

He also appeared in the Aunt Flo and transphobic it crowd episodes and I can’t remember him apologising for either or condemning Linham.

Dude has repeatedly made a cartoon show for children that promotes landlords, capitalism and racism. gently caress him, just because people found him funny in a favourite show or a nice guy on a panel show it does not make him any less of a Tory oval office.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He's married to Fox's sister.

Limmy talked about going to his dinner party and why he thinks he's a oval office, but I can't find the clip, I've posted it in a UKMT thread before.

E: think it's this clip and he's playing dark souls ffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-LZr4-4vI8

Jesus, this video could be 3 mins long rather than 25 if he could string a sentence together. I love Limmy, but is all his streaming stuff like this?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jesus, this video could be 3 mins long rather than 25 if he could string a sentence together. I love Limmy, but is all his streaming stuff like this?

Pretty much, it kinda works with the format but he does have a way of waffling on and talking in circles

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What happened to Dylan Moran anyway? He was in basically every British film and sitcom made in the 2000s but I've not seen him in years.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Yeah it's great

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

stev posted:

What happened to Dylan Moran anyway? He was in basically every British film and sitcom made in the 2000s but I've not seen him in years.

I was going to say, but he was just in Shaun of the Dead and Run Fat Boy Run, then I googled how old those films are!

Apparently he has been live streaming his stand up show:

https://inews.co.uk/culture/dylan-moran-on-dr-cosmos-and-his-new-bbc-sitcom-its-murder-not-performing-im-such-a-mariah-carey-988139

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Why does there always have to be some boring fart moaning that "oh that's not how Venn diagrams work"? Yes, we get it, but you know what they meant so wheesht yer pus

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For all intensive purposes that's how they work.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This isn't how jokes work!

e;fb

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

stev posted:

They stopped making good sitcoms he could be in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It is how Euler diagrams work but for some reason everyone instead knows the name Venn diagram, which look similar but serve a different purpose.