Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hey, farmers feed America you Commies!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Through-Oligarch-Valley-ebook/dp/B00FPGZ59U

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If Nancy Pelosi has her way
All your water goes to L.A.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Build more DAM storage

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Stop the Congress-created DUST BOWL

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Is growing food WASTING WATER?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kenning posted:

I am profoundly disappointed in Today's Youth that those billboards are not constantly graffitied with 'Yes'

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
It's a long drive and the central valley is hot

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's nicer along the 99 than the 5 at least.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Slower traffic keep right, yall.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kenning posted:

I've driven the 5, Marin to San Diego, about 15 times during COVID. Your posts speak to me. More than the thin blue line decals on the trucks I zip past at 89MPH.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Slower traffic keep right, yall.

But make sure when you're passing a truck that you slow down to 63 for some reason, and hopefully you're passing 2 trucks but then the 2nd trucker hits their signal and decides to pass too.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

droll posted:

But make sure when you're passing a truck that you slow down to 63 for some reason, and hopefully you're passing 2 trucks but then the 2nd trucker hits their signal and decides to pass too.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My favorite move is when I'm passing a semi and trying to leave the driver enough room before I get over and some rear end in a top hat tries to shoot the gap before I get back in the slow lane. That always gets a (index) finger-wag from me.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Kenning posted:

No I eat alfalfa every day!!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Given a choice between the 5 hours i drove down the 5 vs the 12 when I drove to Idaho this past month I'd take the latter every day of the week.

That road is a nightmare. It's bumper to bumper 100mph traffic that goes down to 0 the second you relax for 5-6 hours.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Once I took a work trip to San Diego in a Ford Transit van. There was a bright red Dodge Charger driving like a complete rear end in a top hat that I watched in my mirrors for a bit weaving in and out of traffic. I managed to keep him bottled up behind me for like 2 solid hours between Buttonwillow and Santa Nella by just keeping pace with traffic so every time he tried to pass me on the right until he ran out of space before he caught up with the next semi. I was doing 75+ the entire ride, but I like to think he was foaming at the mouth the entire time. Probably shaved 15 minutes off my drive too.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Gee maybe we should stick a high speed rail line along that route that is dangerous, boring, takes a long time, and everyone seems to hate.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

Gee maybe we should stick a high speed rail line along that route that is dangerous, boring, takes a long time, and everyone seems to hate.

Only if there's a stop with the good McDonalds, you know the one that makes fresh crispy french fries?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

droll posted:

Only if there's a stop with the good McDonalds, you know the one that makes fresh crispy french fries?

Make it like the shinkansen, with a store that sells amazing crispy fries at each end and you buy a bento

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Jaxyon posted:

That's been tied up in red tape for years and years now, right?

:thejoke:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

XkyRauh posted:

That's been tied up in red tape for years and years now, right?

:thejoke:

Biden released a bunch of Federal grant money for it that Trump had held up, so I'm sure we'll get right back on-

Oh wait sorry, actually the budget the state legislature is sending to Newsom appears to have completely defunded HSR, whoops.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Alec Eiffel posted:

How guilty should I feel whenever I fill my son’s cheap plastic pool? I cover it and the water is usually good for three sessions, but in my mind I’m absolutely killing someone by using water for bullshit in a drought. I’m an LA county resident.

You probably shouldn't feel too bad but it does depend on where your water comes from, because CA water doesn't teleport from one magic giant bucket and your water may be a source that isn't ultimately connected to larger agriculture use. Being in LA County doesn't necessarily mean your water isn't mostly coming from local wells.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenning posted:

Once I took a work trip to San Diego in a Ford Transit van. There was a bright red Dodge Charger driving like a complete rear end in a top hat that I watched in my mirrors for a bit weaving in and out of traffic. I managed to keep him bottled up behind me for like 2 solid hours between Buttonwillow and Santa Nella by just keeping pace with traffic so every time he tried to pass me on the right until he ran out of space before he caught up with the next semi. I was doing 75+ the entire ride, but I like to think he was foaming at the mouth the entire time. Probably shaved 15 minutes off my drive too.

Buttonwillow has good gas prices. Did you fill up?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

droll posted:

Same but an in-n-out where the fries are consistently crispy because they don't stay in the heat lamps for more than a half minute

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a bipartisan compromise bill where the high speed rail is funded but during the trip everyone riding has to watch an hourlong video about the CONGRESS CREATED DUST BOWL

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sydin posted:

Every acre of almonds grown consumes roughly 4.48 acre feet, or 1.46 million gallons of water per growing season. There were roughly 1.6 Million acres of almonds planted in California as of 2020, which would put total water usage per growing season at 2.3 TRILLION GALLONS. And that's just almonds, California grows a shitload of water intensive crop and also supports a huge volume of pasture land for raising cattle, which also sucks up huge quantities of water.

If you want to get really depressed about water in California and the west, Cadillac Desert is a great book on this subject.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

droll posted:

Fukken love King City McDonalds for this

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

Make it like the shinkansen, with a store that sells amazing crispy fries at each end and you buy a bento

We can call it the milkshakekansen

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

sb hermit posted:

Same but an in-n-out where the fries are consistently crispy

Have you ever eaten In n Out fries? "Crispy" is not the definition of the default fry they serve.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sydin posted:

Biden released a bunch of Federal grant money for it that Trump had held up, so I'm sure we'll get right back on-

Oh wait sorry, actually the budget the state legislature is sending to Newsom appears to have completely defunded HSR, whoops.

God DAMMIT

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

i voted for the drat train, just give me the drat train

just build any transportation infrastructure that isn't more highway or a toll road, i am begging

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jaxyon posted:

God DAMMIT

This is really the only appropriate response. That's infuriating.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Integrating the 5-6 million people who live along the 99 corridor with the coastal population centers is an important benefit of a statewide rail system, and simply taking HSR down the 5 to link San Jose and Los Angeles would reinforce structural inequality in a state that already has plenty of it.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
I've had normally intelligent people in this town tell me that its literally physically beyond the ability of modern engineering to build a high speed rail line in CA. Like "Its so hot everything would flex and it will never work!"

I do not understand the brain-blindness people have for HSR.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kenning posted:

Integrating the 5-6 million people who live along the 99 corridor with the coastal population centers is an important benefit of a statewide rail system, and simply taking HSR down the 5 to link San Jose and Los Angeles would reinforce structural inequality in a state that already has plenty of it.

So wait you're arguing that a better link between those population centers and the coast with an improved rail system is somehow bad for structural inequality?

You know that the big complaint of the coastals about HSR the fact that it actually does connect those areas instead of bypassing them altogether, right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kenning posted:

Integrating the 5-6 million people who live along the 99 corridor
gently caress them they can move train go brrrrrzzzzzz

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I was responding to this post

Jaxyon posted:

which, following a discussion of how the 5 is a nightmare road, seemed to suggest that an HSR route down the 5 was the ideal route, which would bypass essentially the entire Central Valley. This is an argument I've heard by lots of people in the Bay who whine about the route going down the 99 corridor instead.

If that wasn't your argument I apologize for the misunderstanding. I think an HSR route that connects the Bay to L.A. while bypassing the Valley would reinforce structural inequality, but it seems we agree on that point.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I think it depends how good the central valley's McDonalds are.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The Barstow McDonalds is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

droll posted:

Have you ever eaten In n Out fries? "Crispy" is not the definition of the default fry they serve.

it depends

the fries are massively inconsistent

but the burgers are good