Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And now they're both dead, so what have we learned?

poo poo, Brian Christopher was John Tenta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
And in turn Cole and JR would make jokes about Christopher.

(Grandmaster Sexay enters #1 in the rumble)
Lawler: "It's Grandmaster Sexay! I thought he had more luck than this." :(
JR: "I don't know, I heard he was dropped at birth."
Lawler: "I... wait, what!?"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hedgehog Pie posted:

(Grandmaster Sexay enters #1 in the rumble)
Lawler: "It's Grandmaster Sexay! I thought he had more luck than this." :(
JR: "I don't know, I heard he was dropped at birth."
Lawler: "I... wait, what!?"
lmao

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bartok posted:

Saw him in a mediocre Canadian horror comedy last night called Vicious Fun instead of watching NXT.

He's in Pacific Rim and the 2nd Robert Downey Sherlock movie too

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ganso Bomb posted:

I feel like even as a kid, I knew Golga was Earthquake/Tenta. Was it ever referenced on commentary? I was on the internet and maybe still RSPW if it was still around then, so maybe I just knew it from that + other newz sites of the time but it didn't feel like a well-kept secret.
Considering the era it's honestly surprising we didn't get a worked-shoot Golga unmasking promo at some point. You can almost guarantee that would've happened if he had been around for another 6 months.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't remember if happened on a house show or a taped RAW (and they didn't show it) but Golga did get unmasked by accident at one point

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How'd that turn out?

I think Tenta said in an interview that he tried his best, but it was hopeless.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I can't remember if happened on a house show or a taped RAW (and they didn't show it) but Golga did get unmasked by accident at one point

Regal, probably on something, tore off Golga's mask during a taped Raw and threw it. Golga hid under the ring while the crowd chanted "EARTHQUAKE!" Regal was let go shortly after.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

poo poo, Brian Christopher was John Tenta?

They're actually both Test

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And that was the test.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Minidust posted:

Considering the era it's honestly surprising we didn't get a worked-shoot Golga unmasking promo at some point. You can almost guarantee that would've happened if he had been around for another 6 months.
Maybe they didn't want to repeat Tenta's worked shoot about how he is NOT A SHARK from a couple of years previous.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Really, because I'd heard the suit had been custom-built to fit Weller (to the point that when they re-cast the role in 3 they had to do a bunch of weird alterations to make it fit Robert Burke and the guy still ended up with back trouble.)

Essentially, yes. The bigger issue on RoboCop 3--which was made on such a miniscule budget that they couldn't afford to pay Rob Bottin to build a new Robosuit, and they could only afford mime artist Moni Yakim (who created the original Robo movements with Weller) to be on set for a single day to teach Burke how to move--is that they used the refined Robosuit made by Bottin for RoboCop 2. (Many of the pieces were very subtly streamlined so it only took about an hour to get Weller in and out of the suit, as opposed to the eight to eleven hours it took on the first movie.) Weller, however, is a very lithe 5'11". Burke, on the other hand, is 6'2" and was, at the time, built like a goddamn linebacker. So cramming him into Weller's suit was incredibly painful for him after even only five or ten minutes.

The real fuckery with a Robosuit happened on the Prime Directives miniseries in the early 2000. Also produced on a shoestring budget, Rob Bottin agreed to loan the production the original suit from the first movie, on the condition that it be returned in pristine condition.

Director Julian Grant had cast Page Fletcher in the lead role, and Fletcher is 5'8" on a good day. When he first put on the suit, it was hilariously big on him. So Grant ... took a hacksaw to the legs.

Bottin was, shall we say, less than pleased.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 30, 2021

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

https://tenor.com/view/brain-buster-hashimoto-wrestling-fight-gif-16228012

I use this gif as a reaction in my discord server like all the time. I know that's Shinya Hashimoto doing the brainbuster, but I can't tell who is receiving it. Does anyone know?

Second question, how does this person not loving die instantly?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's because the bump is done to hashimoto's upper back and shoulder with the other wrestler's head landing on top of that but parallel to the ground. there is a slight adjustment at the same time as the bump, then the head is immediately cradled into the bend of the arm so that it doesn't look like a trick at all but it's extremely well executed. it's incredible craftsmanship from a genuine master. very beautiful thing to see

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

https://tenor.com/view/brain-buster-hashimoto-wrestling-fight-gif-16228012

I use this gif as a reaction in my discord server like all the time. I know that's Shinya Hashimoto doing the brainbuster, but I can't tell who is receiving it. Does anyone know?

Kazuo Yamazaki.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Thanks to both of you!

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Can you get the new Jericho book as an ebook? I don’t like to but physical books where I can

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe they didn't want to repeat Tenta's worked shoot about how he is NOT A SHARK from a couple of years previous.

Hey, I give Tenta all the credit in the world for tattooing a shark over his tiger.

The most important thing for John to have clearly never lost was the beard.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Hey, I give Tenta all the credit in the world for tattooing a shark over his tiger.

The most important thing for John to have clearly never lost was the beard.

well he lost half of it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Tenta had just a stache at one point

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
How big of a star in Mexico was El Vampiro in the '90s?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

How big of a star in Mexico was El Vampiro in the '90s?

Huge. Top draw, got soap opera offers, big main events.

Plus he got his own pez dispenser

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has Jericho ever explained his dumb clown makeup from his New Japan run?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
He might have explained it briefly on Austin's podcast

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Has Jericho ever explained his dumb clown makeup from his New Japan run?

...he wore Bushi's makeup for the one angle, some people thought it looked cool when he unmasked so he ran with it?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

...he wore Bushi's makeup for the one angle, some people thought it looked cool when he unmasked so he ran with it?

Also, dude is a KISS fan and the moment he realized he could do pretty much anything and nobody was going to tell him no, well…

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Huge. Top draw, got soap opera offers, big main events.

Plus he got his own pez dispenser

Jericho talks about it in his first book, too. Vamp was basically the top foreign star and, oddly, when Chris got there Vampiro became super jealous/paranoid.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dawgstar posted:

Jericho talks about it in his first book, too. Vamp was basically the top foreign star and, oddly, when Chris got there Vampiro became super jealous/paranoid.

A new flavor of young, good looking, Canadian wrestler shows up on the scene? I can see getting a little paranoid too since that was the formula working for Vampiro at the time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

They definitely went all in on Vampiro as a heartthrob.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

that shirt lmfao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And Vamp was paranoid about Jericho.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lamuella posted:

This is like 85% my look in high school and I refuse to be ashamed about it. I'll always have a place in my heart for heartthrob Vampiro.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

That shirt legit owns.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

This is like 85% my look in high school and I refuse to be ashamed about it. I'll always have a place in my heart for heartthrob Vampiro.
Same, and I'm also just a bald weirdo now.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lamuella posted:

they weren’t wrong :swoon:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

have Jericho and Sting ever had a match? I can't remember one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Karma Tornado posted:

have Jericho and Sting ever had a match? I can't remember one.

I don't believe so. When they were both in WCW, Jericho wasn't really close to Sting's spot on the card, and I don't think they interacted when Sting went to WWE.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

If Chris Jericho wrestles Sting, he will have wrestled every PWI #1 ranked wrestler (self.SquaredCircle)

submitted 1 month ago * by micksandals

I can't think of anyone else who could be that close to a full set.

Hogan
Bret
Diesel
Michaels
Malenko
Austin
HHH
Angle
RVD
Lesnar
Benoit
Batista
Cena
Orton
AJ Styles
The Miz
CM Punk
Bryan
Rollins
Reigns
Okada
Omega
Moxley

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

If Chris Jericho wrestles Sting, he will have wrestled every PWI #1 ranked wrestler (self.SquaredCircle)

submitted 1 month ago * by micksandals

I can't think of anyone else who could be that close to a full set.

Hogan
Bret
Diesel
Michaels
Malenko
Austin
HHH
Angle
RVD
Lesnar
Benoit
Batista