Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

OJ and Bill gonna start a podcast

...we'd all listen to that though, let's not pretend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1410279125902925825

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

They can call it "metwo"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lmao

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mirthless posted:

jesus loving christ i can't believe this is real and they're actually letting him out what the gently caress

he took a deal in a civil suit where he admitted it I guess but that plea deal meant he couldn't be prosecuted in the future so his conviction was overturned

he's still a rapist

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is not accurate, and the prosecution did not gently caress up. This is a complicated decision (one I don't think I agree with) so let me try to explain:

2005: A victim reports she was raped by Cosby The DA at the time (Castor) loudly announces he has declined to prosecute and has determined no charges will be filed, ever.

Now, he claims he did this for altruistic reasons. His claim was that he didn't have enough evidence to win a prosecution, but at the request of Constand (the victim)'s lawyers, he made that announcement so that Cosby could not invoke the 5th Amendment in the lawsuit against him.

Cosby does, in fact, testify in that civil case without invoking the 5th Amendment.

Later, Castor leaves office, and his successor decides to prosecute Cosby. She argues that Castor had no legal right to offer immunity (this is correct), and so a decision not to prosecute cannot bind future DAs. Again, as a matter of law, this appears to be correct.

The ruling is that Cosby reasonably relied, to his detriment, on Castor's announcement he would decline to prosecute. The ruling does say the trial court found that Castor was not credible in his claims he reached agreement with Cosby, but it does say because Cosby relied to his detriment in the civil case that he can never be prosecuted.

They don't really identify anything that the DA who prosecuted him hosed up - they never had a chance.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol the DA that hosed it up was the defense lawyer for Trumps second impeachment

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

bill's gonna be a great 4th mic on cumtown

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I just learned that 10 million people got onto Medicaid last year due to referendum and the like, bringing it up to 80 million people on it.

Add the 60 million or so on Medicare and 10 million to the VA, we've got nearly half of Americans covered by some form of governmental insurance.

But watch out government is gonna take our health care lol

haha, it used to be one-third.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

bill's gonna be a great 4th mic on cumtown replacement for Virgil on Chapo

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nonsense posted:

This is not accurate, and the prosecution did not gently caress up. This is a complicated decision (one I don't think I agree with) so let me try to explain:

2005: A victim reports she was raped by Cosby The DA at the time (Castor) loudly announces he has declined to prosecute and has determined no charges will be filed, ever.

Now, he claims he did this for altruistic reasons. His claim was that he didn't have enough evidence to win a prosecution, but at the request of Constand (the victim)'s lawyers, he made that announcement so that Cosby could not invoke the 5th Amendment in the lawsuit against him.

Cosby does, in fact, testify in that civil case without invoking the 5th Amendment.

Later, Castor leaves office, and his successor decides to prosecute Cosby. She argues that Castor had no legal right to offer immunity (this is correct), and so a decision not to prosecute cannot bind future DAs. Again, as a matter of law, this appears to be correct.

The ruling is that Cosby reasonably relied, to his detriment, on Castor's announcement he would decline to prosecute. The ruling does say the trial court found that Castor was not credible in his claims he reached agreement with Cosby, but it does say because Cosby relied to his detriment in the civil case that he can never be prosecuted.

They don't really identify anything that the DA who prosecuted him hosed up - they never had a chance.

but wait what would have prevented him from invoking the 5th amendment in the civil case?

like I guess I am sympathetic to making it as difficult on the prosecutor as possible in the general sense but like if Cosby couldn't invoke the 5th regardless, why does it matter if he testified thinking he wouldn't get prosecuted in the future?

also syq? maybe?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

IMO plastic pollution should be addressed via a tax and dividend program with an up-front stimulus. Though plastic straws constitute only 0.03% of total plastic waste by mass, and only 3% of beach trash by volume, both volume and mass do not give a full picture of the impact of ocean debris on marine life. Like how animals may get caught in six-pack rings that someone forgot to cut up, animals can choke on plastic straws. So there should be a baseline tax on plastic by mass, and then on top of that, there should be a multiplier determined by environmental scientists, ideally interviewed during the lawmaking process instead of leaving it to some corrupt regulatory committee

Maybe I should write the Squad or someone and suggest using this, just in case, but otoh I don't have time for that

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

but wait what would have prevented him from invoking the 5th amendment in the civil case?

like I guess I am sympathetic to making it as difficult on the prosecutor as possible in the general sense but like if Cosby couldn't invoke the 5th regardless, why does it matter if he testified thinking he wouldn't get prosecuted in the future?

also syq? maybe?

I guess the argument is that by Castor saying he wouldn't be prosecuted, admitting to doing it in the civil case didn't count as incriminating himself. I guess?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

spacemang_spliff posted:

also syq? maybe?

I think it was under a really stupid pinky swear decorum understanding that castor announced he'd never be prosecuted for that case criminally, so Cosby didn't need to fear reprecussions of not doing 5th. So now he gets out of jail because the Pennsylvania courts are loving stupider than a rapist that thought he'd be ok waiving his 5th amendment because a DA told him he'd never get prosecuted.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

mcmagic posted:

She was up like 50% in the last poll I saw, she's going to win. None of these shitheads can flip a race in some just random state.

that's good. i hadn't looked at the numbers at all

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

hell yeah, finally a US war I can get behind.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Stevie Lee posted:

that's good. i hadn't looked at the numbers at all

Joe Biden was dead last in every primary until south carolina. I thought we learned about pollls.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think it's cool that the lawyer who got angry at being laughed at during trump's impeachment is also the guy who pinkie promised Cosby he'd never be convicted of rape, and now that's enshrined as a binding agreement.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

really queer Christmas posted:

Ranger in time: Escape from the Pizza Parlor

Ranger in Time: Adrenochronomicon

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

why are they pointing a gun at each other. i thought it was too emphasize she was a dumb woman, but then Mr. Newsroom does it too, and he's supposed to be smart and wise.

mastershakeman posted:

there's a big push right now to end the math 'tracks' at local schools including mine and i really don't understand it. i'm guessing most of SA got pushed into higher level math in middle school, i know i did, and it just seems like a normal thing to do. why stick the math nerds in class with people who hate math and make both sides miserable?

but maybe some educational theory explains this because the school district sure as poo poo isnt able to

tracking is used to segregate classes inside integrated schools

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
wow who knew a DA could hand out permanent immunity like that lmfao

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Asproigerosis posted:

I think it was under a really stupid pinky swear decorum understanding that castor announced he'd never be prosecuted for that case criminally, so Cosby didn't need to fear reprecussions of not doing 5th. So now he gets out of jail because the Pennsylvania courts are loving stupider than a rapist that thought he'd be ok waiving his 5th amendment because a DA told him he'd never get prosecuted.

does this mean that every kid who went to jail for an apology letter confession gets to walk free now?

(definitely not lol)

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol the DA that hosed it up was the defense lawyer for Trumps second impeachment

the system work s

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1410283613149667339?s=20

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Atrocious Joe posted:

hell yeah, finally a US war I can get behind.

lol there is no better datapoint to the pointlessness of gifted classes than like half of CSPAM being gifted kids

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cosby ruling sounds like it's just "oops we promised this rich guy he was gonna get off so we are correcting this mistake" but I'm sure there's a complicated legal reason why it would also never be seen on a poor person and how that's endemic of a healthy judicial system.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

tracking is used to segregate classes inside integrated schools

Right , so are grade levels

Is it really that simple an issue about segregation/integration or is there something else?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1410299343438028805?s=20

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

really queer Christmas posted:

Reading that thread was funny, the gbs mods descended on the thread immediately to say "hmm why do we need this thread???" While letting a bunch of people poo poo in it and then went "well the thread is poo poo now for some reason, time to gas!!"

I made it for either of two possibilities.

1. It stays and people who don't post solely in CSPAM get to make fun of democrats and maybe some people actually see some criticism of some powerful people that they had never really considered before.

OR

2. The mods show their rear end and close the thread because Democrats are obviously the good guys and you can't lol at them.

Guess what happened fairly quickly.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969099

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Forget Neo Tokyo, this timeline has Neo Versailles

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

its not sarcasm. There's a huge problem with this concept of local control of schools, and it's not just funding. No one has any idea what schools actually teach, or if the teachers are actually teaching the curriculum. The school boards are elected (in most places, chicago still isnt) but work hand in hand with the school administration to do whatever they want, and you end up with all these angry parents trying to tell the administration / boards what should and shouldn't happen, but with no actual information. It's a total mess and it's incredibly hard to understand if educators think that reducing class options is actually good, and if so why. So people try to fight back against it out of reaction.

My kid goes to school in a majority minority district that is either the worst or second worst (after berkeley's public schools) for racial achievement gap. So when you see plans to change something like math tracks, it's easy to go wait, are they just doing this to try to slow down the high achieving kids and meet metrics that way? Because remember, this is the same city where an alderman said he'd rather sell confederate flag beach towels than charge for access to the beach, because the latter is more racist. But guess what, we will never know! So I'd rather have it just be totally opaque, trust the system like I trust doctors to not gently caress up (even when they do, constantly) and go watch some sports highlights

personally i'm very checked out and will just supplement my kid's education like my parents supplemented mine. my partner and her neighbors and friends? they're steamed and talking nonstop about this school poo poo because they think that our 5 figure property tax means they shouldn't have to do any extra work for their kids and if they have to , why are they paying so much

lol tell them that the Black suburbs on the far south side pay a higher percentage property tax for shittier schools

quote:

Homeowners in Ford Heights, Park Forest and Riverdale have the highest average tax rates in the county at roughly 34, 34 and 29 percent, respectively. Hinsdale, Burr Ridge and Barrington have the lowest at roughly 7 percent.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2018/6/20/18354916/south-suburban-homeowners-see-their-property-taxes-go-north

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

funny how all the bizarre and creative legal apparatuses benefit rich people

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Eggplant Squire posted:

Cosby ruling sounds like it's just "oops we promised this rich guy he was gonna get off so we are correcting this mistake" but I'm sure there's a complicated legal reason why it would also never be seen on a poor person and how that's endemic of a healthy judicial system.

seriously i feel like we have a million years of smugly affirmed rulings about why it's okay for law enforcement people to lie to criminals to get them to incriminate themselves all the time, why in the gently caress is this different, why in the gently caress does cosby get to simultaneously be the worst serial rapist in history, and a free man?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eggplant Squire posted:

Forget Neo Tokyo, this timeline has Neo Versailles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYpHC1rxoY

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

funny how all the bizarre and creative legal apparatuses benefit rich people

It's very strange indeed

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol tell them that the Black suburbs on the far south side pay a higher percentage property tax for shittier schools

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2018/6/20/18354916/south-suburban-homeowners-see-their-property-taxes-go-north

Duhhhhh stay outta Riverdale

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

I have to disagree with that last part. It shouldn't be on any list of things to ban.

My 12 year old son and I constructed two guns (a pistol and a shotgun) for pandemic projects during the lock down. There's absolutely nothing wrong if you want to build a legal firearm at home.

If I had the chance to ask that guy a question it'd be: "How many people are being killed each year by 3d printed guns?" Because I bet it's 0 and I don't really like restricting civil rights over things that could happen maybe someday in the far future.

:argh:

50 years in the future, your son is a brutal kingpin ruling over the world's arms trade

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Falstaff posted:

I don't think this has been shared yet: Nathan J. Robinson and Glenn Greenwald debated on the Bad Faith podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSukuaMHzy4

Not even halfway in and NJR has cited Chomsky at least five times. "Trump is the greatest criminal in history," JFC... I don't even particularly like Greenwald, but the way NJR talks makes me want to give him a wedgie.
people who say 'trump is the greatest criminal in history' or even 'the worst president' or w/e are pushing a white supremacist or nationalist world view since they do not value the lives in the countries genocided, invaded, and couped by bush, obama, etc.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/2RawTooReal/status/1409987924192550914

Jim Clyburn isn't from Ohio :confused:

why do the Hive think this is such a game-changer, he doesn't have superpowers

Because he's the King of Black people, he told people to vote Biden and Biden won so this will happen again with his proclamation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

Duhhhhh stay outta Riverdale

it's rough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OzFzfpOqOo

sorry for the weird sound, but this is the only clip of the full scene