Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fabricated posted:

It's funny because the Japanese reaction was really negative because of the plagiarism

I mean this thread was pretty negative on it overall. Which is a shame because boy was that a fantastic first chapter, and then it almost immediately faceplanted lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I seem to recall it wasn't just me who was praising bone collection in this thread at the time too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I seem to recall it wasn't just me who was praising bone collection in this thread at the time too.

I definitely enjoyed it and posted about enjoying it. It wasn't a masterpiece, probably wasn't even "great" but it was cute and enjoyable and had a lot of charm.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i loved the art and sense of humor, definitely a series that would've deserved to survive the urban fantasy purge over even good but less differentiated ones like Phantom Seer

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Fabricated posted:

IMO Baseball and Soccer are sports where you basically have to destroy it to succeed in Weekly Jump because there are multiple very good serializations both past and current.

Like if you're gonna do High School Baseball in a big magazine, you gotta be able to beat Ace of Diamond- which is a tall order. Nevermind Rookies, Mr. Fullswing, etc.

If you're doing soccer, you gotta be able to compete with stuff like Blue Lock and somehow escape the shadow of Captain Tsubasa.

Kuroko's Basketball kind of escaped being lumped in with Slam Dunk (yes, the joke is "because it's not as good") by going more for the fantastic elements rather than the personal angle. I feel like you gotta be pretty different to not be "ah, this is trying to be Captain Tsubasa/Rookies/etc".

I feel like art is very important for sports series, people like Inoue and Murata are some of the best artists on the industry, the only massive outlier would be the Captain Tsubasa guy. I basically read every basketball manga there is, and yeah, it feels like each one has its own niche, the biggest currently running one(on hiatus) would be Ahiru no Sora, which differentiates by loading it up with drama, it's good, but it's been a lot of years and they barely play games, so you don't get to feel the players getting too much better, which yeah it's realistic, but feels like a key thing in sports stories. Speaking of cancelled series, I don't even remember the name, but there was a basketball manga at the time of Kuroko that tried to contrast it by being more realistic, and it was perfectly competent but it was cancelled immediately, and it was funny because even if they fast forwarded to the final game, the mc was just like "they put me a few minutes, and I hit an open three, it was cool", they stayed grounded to the very end. Real by Inoue is of course excellent, but comes like once a year and it being about wheelchair basketball makes it stand out, to round up school basketball there's Switch, by one of the Haikyuu's assistants, again it's perfectly fine, but the mc has the most convoluted story ever and he's kinda hard to root for. The most recent one I've been reading is Tsubame tip off, being about girls basketball sets it apart (though Ahiru no sora goes there every now and then), but the artist isn't that good at conveying movement on the games yet, hopefully they'll get better at it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah Kuroko just went full cocky pretty boys doing fancy poo poo.

It was the Heir to Prince of Tennis.

Although technically I guess New Prince of tennis is still going and being awesome.

Horseback Tennis matches >>>

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Make a Lacrosse Battle Manga

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fabricated posted:

I'd love to see an Ice Hockey series in jump tbh. Or MMA.

Bring back Hanakaku!!!

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 1, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

doomrider7 posted:

Bring back Hanakaku!!!

jesus christ that is a series I memory holed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Bring back Hanakaku!!!

gently caress this one was so good

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kidcoelacanth posted:

gently caress this one was so good

The way it ended even implied there would be more which pissed me off when there wasn't. The way the villain girl was also portrayed implied some issues with her family and that she'd come back after a sort of reinvention arc. Everything shown legit looked badass.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
whaaaat there was a girls' MMA shounen manga that ended at... 21 chapters? Tragic!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I also found it to be enjoyable. It had some strong early Bleach vibes, but the series was a bit uneven and the whole "have to touch girl in inappropriate places for power" was kinda treading a line/overstepping that line for me. But the humor was occasionally on point and the art had shades of being really good if a bit chaotic.
I would've liked to see it hang a little longer to see if it could find it's legs.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Been following Assassination Classroom on the mangaplus re-edition to have a stroll down memory lane and I have been eagerly awaiting this chapter. I don't know anymore if the mini-arc itself feels totally earned in terms of what is happening and what foreshadowing could have existed to back it up. But This one moment is absolutely a culmination of some stuff from the past.

A simple question is posed, how do you stop your classmate who is trying to murder your octopus teacher with her own set of tentacles that are overclocking her brain and killing her? The answer: French kiss and everyone's reaction is the best.

Irina admiring the technique she taught Nagisa and the two classmates going for their camera. :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I finished reading Soloist in a cage. That was fantastic. Art was great, it was both super sweet and depressing at the same time.
Really really cool fight scenes as well thanks, the Mangaka did an ace job at showing that her fighting was more like dancing.
And that ending.

If you haven’t read it yet, it’s available in full on manga plus and worth your time.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Re: MMA manga, All Rounder Meguru is really good. Though as far as I can tell the scanlations are proceeding at a snail's pace (I read it all because it was officially translated over here).

The resolution of the conflicts between Meguru and his childhood friend / rival is really heartwarming (and funny) too. In case anyone wants to know, I can drop it here under a spoiler tag.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I really liked what I read of AssClass but noped out hard when it tried to get me to sympathize with the principal. I’d already sat through the Nagisa’s mom plot and that wound up being my breaking point.

After that I just skimmed spoilers and went back to read highlights.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alacron posted:

I really liked what I read of AssClass but noped out hard when it tried to get me to sympathize with the principal. I’d already sat through the Nagisa’s mom plot and that wound up being my breaking point.

After that I just skimmed spoilers and went back to read highlights.

Eh, that happened more than a few weeks ago and teh point of that whole storyline is less to get you to feel bad for the guy, but to rather understand what broke him and forged him into the person that he is. Something that is critical to Koro-sensei as well since he too was an abnormally talented person who was in a position of education and received a harsh lesson as a result of his student. Like the principle never actually changes how he handles things and doesn't flinch on his beliefs. he's just salty that his methods aren't as ironclad as he propped them up to be.

I get where you're coming from. The story still soft balls a couple of the antagonists so it definitely feels like they are being rewarded at the end of the day.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lily Catts posted:

whaaaat there was a girls' MMA shounen manga that ended at... 21 chapters? Tragic!

That's too little to even put a dent in my years-long sorrow for the loss of Teppu.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Bring back Hanakaku!!!

That picture seems less toned than you'd expect from MMA fighters.

I know art styles differ and all, but it still feels a bit odd.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I made a post a while back about both AssClass and Food Wars. It's funny how they almost feel like the same series in a lot of ways. (MHA dips into the same well of tropes, but not to the same extreme.) I realize that the absurd high-stakes bets are meant to raise narrative tension when there isn't a high-stakes exam to provide it (I assume Japanese teenagers don't often make bets like that in real life), but they make Food Wars' Soma in particular come across as a compulsive gambler who's being rewarded by the narrative for his behavior.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I can't watch any gambling anime / manga after Kaiji. It just blows everything else out of the water.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

I can't watch any gambling anime / manga after Kaiji. It just blows everything else out of the water.

Kaiji is good, but not quite as good as Liar Game (at least prior to the last arc or so when Liar Game sort of peters out). I always found it disappointing that in Kaiji the winner of a given game usually outright cheats rather than exploiting the rules.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Silver2195 posted:

Kaiji is good, but not quite as good as Liar Game (at least prior to the last arc or so when Liar Game sort of peters out). I always found it disappointing that in Kaiji the winner of a given game usually outright cheats rather than exploiting the rules.

I really loved the meta game aspect of Liar Game where they always found loopholes and whatnot in the rules to exploit for the win.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Silver2195 posted:

Never heard of Liar Game, but now I'm immediately going to look it up and binge that poo poo, hell yeah I've been itching for a good gamble series

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

chiasaur11 posted:

That picture seems less toned than you'd expect from MMA fighters.

I know art styles differ and all, but it still feels a bit odd.

You'd be surprised at how many MMA fighters have "soft" looking builds. Even when fit, people like BJ Penn looked a bit on the "softer" side.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

CodfishCartographer posted:

Never heard of Liar Game, but now I'm immediately going to look it up and binge that poo poo, hell yeah I've been itching for a good gamble series

It's amazing when it's going, but it does eventually dip in quality. Early stuff was legit amazing in the brain gently caress of how they gamed the system and mechanics for the win. For a real world example, stuff like The Mole or Amazing Race very much do fit in the "gaming" aspect.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 2, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just read usogui

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

just read usogui

Usogui is more manga than that guy can handle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gambling Emperor Zero is Fukumoto doing something that feels more like Liar Game than Kaiji does (ie main character is a super genius), but isnt as serious as either kaiji or LG. I love GEZ part 1 but he hasnt worked on the series after part 2.

One outs has a lot of similarities with "death gamble" manga (but its about baseball).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 2, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
https://twitter.com/wsj_manga/status/1410564146236637186?s=21

So apparently this chapter will feature the end of the current match, but the actual final match will be in its last volume. I wonder if we’ll see it translated. :ohdear:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was wondering how shinra was going to match up to arthur's absolutely ridiculous space battle, but uh, i wasn't expecting this. dang.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was wondering how shinra was going to match up to arthur's absolutely ridiculous space battle, but uh, i wasn't expecting this. dang.

I was waiting for the anime to go through the series, but Arthur space battle sounds too good to pass up. Where can I pick up where the anime stopped?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

I was waiting for the anime to go through the series, but Arthur space battle sounds too good to pass up. Where can I pick up where the anime stopped?

I think it was 175. poo poo gets wild.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it was 175. poo poo gets wild.

Thanks and Goddamn season 3 is gonna start with a bang.

Coincidently this is also around the time the first season started. I'll always appreciate fan translators for including the announcement pages.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I Am Fowl posted:

That's too little to even put a dent in my years-long sorrow for the loss of Teppu.

Teppu was so loving good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Eh, I like Kaiji much more than Liar Game, mainly because I like the Kaiji characters and the sort of underlying social commentary. Liar Game was still really good, though; a lot more clever than most manga that try to have clever games.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So Seven Seas has obtained the license of "The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really Love You"
And of course they are going to license it under their Ghost Ship brand... 'sexy manga for mature readers! '

I was really hoping it would come to something like Manga+

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Started reading Liar Game and uh, does the protagonist ever get any more agency? I'm 24 chapters in and she's done nothing but fall for every ridiculously obvious lie and then cry until genius guy comes to save her. I'm down if she grows into a more independent character but there's been literally zero foreshadowing of that so far. Also a trans character who's a manipulative liar is pretty yikes, though this was back in like 05 so not surprising.

Like the games and solutions are cool, but boy am I not a huge fan of the character interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's been a long time since I read it but IIRC she does more in the later games because in some circumstances being someone the other players know is actually trustworthy can be very useful.

And at least once or twice she doesn't have the co-lead around to save her, I think? She does definitely have a character arc but it's a slow burn and lasts pretty much the whole series.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 4, 2021